KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Pa equipment - Does size really matter. Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:44 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 4 times
Alan B wrote:
Do you really think that Pat Matheny is not getting paid by Bose for that infomercial? ... Using celebrities to help sell products is nothing new. Just a great marketing strategy.

I've often wondered why Pat doesn't endorse a particular brand of shampoo and conditioner? Heck, Lyle too for that matter. Those guys are just leaving money on the table.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:11 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 242 times
Alan B wrote:
Do you really think that Pat Matheny is not getting paid by Bose for that infomercial? ... Using celebrities to help sell products is nothing new. Just a great marketing strategy.
Cseeger wrote:
I've often wondered why Pat doesn't endorse a particular brand of shampoo and conditioner? Heck, Lyle too for that matter. Those guys are just leaving money on the table.

Hmmm ... that's odd. Alan's post does not appear in my feed for some reason so I can't respond to the entire post, but the section that Cseeger quoted I can only address by stating that whether or not Pat Metheny is getting paid by Bose to sponsor that "infomercial" is irrelevant and I would think that anyone who saw it would assume that he was getting paid for the sponsorship. That in and of itself doesn't mean he doesn't believe in the product. Pat plays a Gibson ES-175 guitar as well as an Ibanez PM1000 and he's endorsed both. Pat is not some pop star hack whose claim to fame was made by performing in a pink tutu to a bunch of musically ignorant concert goers, but is an accomplished musician who is very serious about his music and his particular sound and wouldn't use products that would in anyway diminish his overall product. You don't get cats like Chris Potter (my personal favorite at the moment), or Charlie Haden or as Cseeger suggested ... Lyle Mays (I'm guessing that's who Cseeger was referring to when he mentioned Lyle) to tour with you if you're anything but the cream of the crop.

Could he have accomplished the same thing with another brand of array? I'm sure he could have, but the fact remains is that he didn't, nor did he in anyway diminish what he set out to do by choosing the Bose system.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:21 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Bastiat wrote:
Pat... is an accomplished musician who is very serious about his music and his particular sound and wouldn't use products that would in anyway diminish his overall product. You don't get cats like Chris Potter (my personal favorite at the moment), or Charlie Haden or as Cseeger suggested ... Lyle Mays (I'm guessing that's who Cseeger was referring to when he mentioned Lyle) to tour with you if you're anything but the cream of the crop.

Could he have accomplished the same thing with another brand of array? I'm sure he could have, but the fact remains is that he didn't, nor did he in anyway diminish what he set out to do by choosing the Bose system.

I'm a HUGE Metheny/Mays fan and have been ever since I accidentally bought "As Falls Wichita So Falls So Wichita Falls" back in 1982 thinking it was a new wave group I hadn't heard of yet. I played that album nonstop for a month then *BOOM* here comes "Offramp".

Whether Pat sold out or genuinely loves Bose, I honestly don't think it would affect my opinion of Bose products either way (I have a pair of Bose tweeters around here somewhere). But I tell you what would get my purchase motivation going is if Pat and Lyle launched their own brand of shampoo and conditioner. Heck, who wouldn't buy that?

....................................................................................Image

Last edited by Cseeger on Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:19 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Magneplaners! Now those were some speakers. Oh the money I've pissed away on gear over the years... :withstupid:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:16 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
It's all about SOUND QUALITY.

Let me tell you a true story that just happened a few weeks ago.

Because I only have one mobile karaoke system, I have to give up all my gigs due to the 6 month summer contract we have in tourist town. I've been getting calls from the local bars asking to buy my sound system.

We use and I highly recommend for karaoke PRO BOSE Products including:

*A pair of BOSE MA12 Arrays for mains with a pair of PACKLite A1 Amplifiers.
*A pair of BOSE MB4 Subs or a single Powered F1 Sub.
*A BOSE Tonematch T1 Digital Mixer.

BOSE is BEST for many reasons...
1) Light
2) Compact
3) Amazing Sound Quality
4) Durable (Rugged) The same speakers will last you 10 years or more.
5) Quick & easy setup takes only 10 minutes and your ready to do your show.
6) Super affordable in used market (Under $2000.00 for complete setup)

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:11 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 50 times
I too use the PV-15 NEO and have 4. Very light, Not much danger if drunks push one over.
Really easy to fly and the flypoints work great for bolting a flat light bar onto.
I do mod them though: I line them with auralex on the sides and back, and change the input connectors
to speakon. The 1/4 plugs can get blown out due to bass response. I also upgraded them to 22-xt horn drivers and
they kick butt for a lightweight speaker.
I do use a sub but its set mainly for 35-80hz bump.
The traditional speaker and sep amp combo is lighter since you carry them individually. I use a crown 6002 for the Peavey but
have a crown xls (15lbs) for portable gigs. Quite light especially compared to Meyer or K series cabs.
For Monitors, I use a behringer 12" powered or a pair of Powerwerks PA-50 on custom stands. The TV is a 32 inch on a guitar amp
stand.

I did mod the crossovers by doubling the cap however I will be removing the light bulb horn protectors and adding a 6db pad to the
horns as they are much beefier than the original 14xt. I seriously doubt I'll blow em as I've done LOUD concerts with 22xt's and never blew one. They are the only modern driver that sounds open and clear like an old Altec 288c without the $$$

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:24 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 50 times
chrisavis wrote:
About size mattering......

I just replaced 2 massive, passive subs at one of our venues. Each sub had 4 - 12" woofers. In their place, I dropped a single EV 18" active sub. I like the sound from the previous subs better than the new EV. But the club wanted to free up the space (seriously....they were very, very large enclosures).

The 18" sub moves a lot of air and is great for club music where people want to feel the bass. But if one wants to hear the punch and separation in karaoke, I prefer smaller (15" and smaller) and more of them.

15 in are faster and more accurate. I only have one 18 FBT left and have been using 15" for 10 years for concerts.
12 are really fast but useless in PA applications except karaoke and some DJ. There was a quad 12 with rubber surrounds in a
guitar cab sized box that sounded pretty good years ago but they never caught on.
Tapped horns are another matter. For a perm install they are brutal!! They sound wonderful in a dance club and there are versions
that are tall and slender (Bjorno made one) and can be integrated into the club in a pleasing manner.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:11 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
[quote="screamersusa"]
The traditional speaker and sep amp combo is lighter since you carry them individually./quote]
disagree here.
PR15 Neo passive = 800w peak 37lbs x 2 = 74lbs + 15lbs amp = 89lbs
TS215A powered = 1100w peak 32lbs x 2 = 62lbs
nowadays, powered can easily be lighter individually and combined total weight (which i care more about weight per carry, not what it all weighs together in the car)
more power, lighter weight, one less piece to carry.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:46 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
one less piece to carry.

Wasn't that a song by The Fifth Dimension? :D