KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Good wireless mic set that you don't have to "eat"? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:49 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
djdon wrote:
I've found that the capsules on the GTD 787H handhelds all sound different. Their sound is not consistent. Some have great bass response, others sound tinny...

Totally agree with this.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:05 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 226 times
Alan B wrote:
djdon wrote:
I've found that the capsules on the GTD 787H handhelds all sound different. Their sound is not consistent. Some have great bass response, others sound tinny...

Totally agree with this.

And i'll 3RD this.....

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:57 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
Lonman wrote:
djdon wrote:
I have found on my 737's that the capsule sometimes will work it's way up under the wind screen giving a tinny sound, when I unscrew the windscreen and push it back down, it will give it's full sound again. Might be the same on some of the 787;s

Are they the same capsule?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:01 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
I believe they are but it doesn't hurt to check that they are fully seated in the mic. Like I said mine kept working it's way up close to the windscreen making it tinny and 'poppy', when I pushed it down it sounded much fuller and less 'tin'. I finally just glued it down so it wouldn't move anymore.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:23 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 242 times
This is slightly off topic but along the same lines and not unique enough to warrant its own thread. So when it comes to knowledge of wireless mics, that train left me about 10 years ago and even then I wasn't all that up to snuff on wireless systems. So I sort of figure that who best to answer my wireless questions than a KJ host so without further ado, I'll first describe my setup and what I'm looking to accomplish.

About 10 years ago (give or take a century) I purchased an SDS microphone for my sax setup. This mic clips to the bell of the horn and has its own power supply which supplies 9v to the condenser microphone. This is a wired mic and at the time I purchased this solely for recording wind instruments. I would double mic certain instruments such as saxophone usually with a Sennheiser MD421 (on alto & soprano) or a Shure SM57 (on tenor) which I usually placed about a foot or so away from the body of the horn which rounded out the sound a bit as the SDS can be a bit bright (there's a tiny bump at; 3k and a larger but still minor bump at around 12k). I ended up liking the sound of the SDS so much that I thought I would use it in my live stage setup. The only problem was that the mic cable would hang from the bell of the horn and wasn't very practical in a live situation so I decided to make it wireless. I purchased a Samson A1- A1X wireless UHF transmitter/receiver (channel U2) but that was over 10 years ago.

So my question is ... seeing that wireless technology I'm sure is drastically different than the technology of 10 years ago, will this work in a live stage environment without interference either from or to other devices? I really like the SDS mic so I would like to keep it and use a wireless adapter if possible, but it's not absolutely imperative that I do so. I can go with a dedicated system if I have to. I'll just be doing weekend warrior type gigs more so for fun than for money so I can go either way.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:35 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
that depends on the frequency it is set as more than anything.
somewhere (usually on the back of the receiver or in the transmitter battery compartment) there will be the frequency range.
knowing that will make all the difference in the answer.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:53 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 242 times
I see ... that makes sense. Unfortunately neither the transmitter or the receiver lists the frequency that it operates on. The only spec it gives is that it's a UHF device (as I assume most are) on channel U2.

I do have an old analog oscilloscope but I don't think I have a probe that would measure frequencies in the UHF range. Guess I'll just have to take a chance with it on the gig. If it turns out to be a problem I can always bypass the wireless and plug the mic directly into the mixer. Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:22 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 81 times
Bastiat wrote:
I see ... that makes sense. Unfortunately neither the transmitter or the receiver lists the frequency that it operates on. The only spec it gives is that it's a UHF device (as I assume most are) on channel U2.

I do have an old analog oscilloscope but I don't think I have a probe that would measure frequencies in the UHF range. Guess I'll just have to take a chance with it on the gig. If it turns out to be a problem I can always bypass the wireless and plug the mic directly into the mixer. Thanks for the input.

The outside of the box, the owners manual and their website, told you the frequency range of the transmitter. The Samson mics with the U prefix were all in the 700 mhz range which the FCC sold off years ago (I had to replace close to 2 grand worth of gear when they did that. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper). When everyone shifted to the 600 mhz range Samson followed suit and the new gear used the N prefix. Unfortunately the FCC in it's infinite wisdom has decided to sell off that freq. range as well, so that it will soon be illegal to use anything in that range (check the FCC postings for your area for cutoff dates, but for those in the L.A. area, April 2019 is the drop dead deadline).

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:07 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
https://www.amazon.com/AKG-Audio-WMS40- ... B00723ZYQ8

I use these, and they are super comparable to the Shure SM 58's...did a side by side test....and I hate to say it, but the AKGs were the crowd favorite. Great thing is, the batteries last forever!!!!The description says 30 hours...and it's quite accurate....not bad for a single AA battery!Range is huge, inside or out.....very hard to get feedback. Price was reasonable, too. Had them for about 3 years...still work like new!

Good luck, Cheers!

Attachments:
AKG_3350H00020_WMS_40_Mini2_Vocal_849656.jpg
AKG_3350H00020_WMS_40_Mini2_Vocal_849656.jpg [ 268.39 KiB | Viewed 26687 times ]

Karaoke at my 2 Story home shop for fun: Karafun, PCDJ Karaoki and/or MTU Hoster on an i5 PC, through a Soundcraft Signature 10 Mixer out to a Yorkville Excursion EX2 P/A system, plus 2 X 1000 Watt Mackie Thump 15s., 2 AKG Wireless mics, a cool Heil Blue Fin and A Heil Fin Black w/Red LED, Shure SM87 Beta+ a Lewitt LCT 450 and Shure Super 55. Also about 30+Light effects: Lasers, Jellyfish ,Monsoon Trickster, REVO4,Moving head LEDs, Par Wash lights On a DMX controller. And a nice smoke machine!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:39 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
moopa wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/AKG-Audio-WMS40-Mini2-Vocal/dp/B00723ZYQ8

I use these, and they are super comparable to the Shure SM 58's...did a side by side test....and I hate to say it, but the AKGs were the crowd favorite. Great thing is, the batteries last forever!!!!The description says 30 hours...and it's quite accurate....not bad for a single AA battery!Range is huge, inside or out.....very hard to get feedback. Price was reasonable, too. Had them for about 3 years...still work like new!

Good luck, Cheers!

Had the original version of them. Sold them to a friend who loves them. Only issue that the windscreen isn't really unbreakable. I pulled it out of service when one mic had been dropped and the windscreen had broke in half. Once I replaced my Rockville mics with the Sennheiser mics, I was able to replace the windscreen that had broke with one of the Rockville windscreens.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:20 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

moopa wrote:

Good luck, Cheers!

Only a 3 1/2 stars reviews is not very good. Plus, it operates on the old frequency. Do not buy a new wireless system unless it's been updated to run on the new 500 Mhz band. Not impressed.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:23 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
moopa wrote:

Good luck, Cheers!

Only a 3 1/2 stars reviews is not very good. Plus, it operates on the old frequency. Do not buy a new wireless system unless it's been updated to run on the new 500 Mhz band. Not impressed.

Believe it or not, the one that I sold, I could have still used, the frequencies fall in between the ones that got sold off. Not every 600 mhz frequencies are going to become illegal to use.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:11 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Quote:

Sorry,I should have used bhphoto or mucisian's friend site...their reviews are 4 stars, does that make you impressed?
I just relayed my own experience and to me they sound better than any of the 6 or 7 Karaoke Bars in this area., and that I liked and recommended them...tryin' to help a person out is all. You should maybe listen to them 1st before you shoot them down.
Man,negativity,even subtle doesn't help the poster.But thanks for your requested opinion on my stuff.

Karaoke at my 2 Story home shop for fun: Karafun, PCDJ Karaoki and/or MTU Hoster on an i5 PC, through a Soundcraft Signature 10 Mixer out to a Yorkville Excursion EX2 P/A system, plus 2 X 1000 Watt Mackie Thump 15s., 2 AKG Wireless mics, a cool Heil Blue Fin and A Heil Fin Black w/Red LED, Shure SM87 Beta+ a Lewitt LCT 450 and Shure Super 55. Also about 30+Light effects: Lasers, Jellyfish ,Monsoon Trickster, REVO4,Moving head LEDs, Par Wash lights On a DMX controller. And a nice smoke machine!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:49 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

moopa wrote:
Quote:

Sorry,I should have used bhphoto or mucisian's friend site...their reviews are 4 stars, does that make you impressed?
I just relayed my own experience and to me they sound better than any of the 6 or 7 Karaoke Bars in this area., and that I liked and recommended them...tryin' to help a person out is all. You should maybe listen to them 1st before you shoot them down.
Man,negativity,even subtle doesn't help the poster.But thanks for your requested opinion on my stuff.

While they sound good and last several shows before having to change batteries, they no match against the sound quality of a Sennheiser or even a Samson concert 99 mic. Both of those in my opinion blow even a Shure Beta58 away.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:56 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 4 times
> https://www.amazon.com/AKG-Audio-WMS40- ... B00723ZYQ8

Thanks for that!

> Only a 3 1/2 stars reviews is not very good

Reading the reviews it sounds like some of them have static on mic 2, I wonder if that was just a bad batch. Good to know, I'll put them through the paces while they're still within the return period.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:33 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

wrybread wrote:
> https://www.amazon.com/AKG-Audio-WMS40- ... B00723ZYQ8

Thanks for that!

> Only a 3 1/2 stars reviews is not very good

Reading the reviews it sounds like some of them have static on mic 2, I wonder if that was just a bad batch. Good to know, I'll put them through the paces while they're still within the return period.

Thanks again!

If they are having issues with mic 2 then they should have left well enough alone with the original version of them. I had zero issues with either mic and probably would still be using them today if I hadn't had one of the grills break.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:09 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Mine have been flawless, and perform way better than their price point. No static, no feedback...damn near as good as my Heil Blue Fin....or my Lewitt....ugh, not really! LOL!

But out of all my mics...everyone consistently grab these over the high dollar stuff!

I've left the mics turned on overnight many times....the batteries sure last a long time.
Sound quality, again is impressive.
I would have to agree that they may not survive too many drops....mine have been dropped on concrete several times, and I'm lucky, no carnage.
Bottom line, I would buy them again, based on my personal experience, without hesitation.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:10 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

moopa wrote:
Bottom line, I would buy them again, based on my personal experience, without hesitation.
Good luck!

Even though they look like toys, as long as you and your customers like them, that's all that matters.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:52 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Alan B wrote:
moopa wrote:
Good luck!

Even though they look like toys, as long as you and your customers like them, that's all that matters.

As my sig. states, not a pro, so no customers to disappoint....the Pro's around here don't worry too much about their equipment for some reason, as it's not even as good as mine,( not bashing, as they are the ones in business, not me) but everyone has fun, even with the crappy equipment some have. I'm just a little more picky than they are, but I'm more after the quality sound(what I can afford).
Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:04 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 4 times
Well said. And on what planet do those mics look like toys? Getting pretty overly critical around here.