KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Need Advice on Song Order for Karaoke Competition Please Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:51 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Here's a blast from the past...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19176

In reading through the entire thread, it seems that the majority of posters (some of them no longer here) either won't do contests, don't like them, or believe they are fixed. Very interesting read from 8 years ago. Not much has changed.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:32 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 12 times
Alan B wrote:
CruneMeATune wrote:
Back to the opening question...

My friend...

I'm sure you're a fabulous singer. I'm sure people love seeing (and hearing) your performance. With that said, there is a reason why I and many of my colleagues despise contests. Let's look at a few of the reasons...

With over 20 years experience in this business, I've never seen a contest that was judged fairly. I've seen favoritism come into play many times over impartially. Most of the judges had no qualifications relating to music or a musical background. And as always is the case, someone who was inferior to the best singer ends up winning.

Karaoke is supposed to be fun for everyone but I've seen contests cause hurt feelings, animosity, anger, and frustration. This is NOT what karaoke is about. But yet, contests are a great way to make someone feel inferior about themselves. Yes, contests can shatter someone's self esteem and actually drive people away.

And then you have the Diva's who make a living off of contests. These are the people who know where all the contests are going to be and enter every one. These people are really good and know how to win. And once they do, you never see them again. Which is not fair to the people who come out week after week supporting the bar. It's really a slap in the face.

Like I said, contests cause more harm than good. I've seen several friendships lost over a contest. I know, it's crazy.

So my friend, my advice to you is keep your sanity and don't enter but if you must, take the contest with a grain of salt. Look at it as something for entertainment value, NOT as an indication of singing ability. Because so many times, your singing skills have nothing to do with winning.

Alan with 30 years in the business I totally agree. I've participated in them, won a few, lost a few, actually was an involved KJ in a national karaoke contest culminating in Las Vegas. True story, I saw a professional singer come into a contest maybe 12 years ago, a friend was the KJ, where there was only 5 singers, all women, only 2 were on pitch, including the pro. The pro wound up 3rd or 4th, she was a very nice lady who had been singing over 15 years professionally, was confused by the results. She wanted to move her career along in the national contest, and was too old to go into American Idol, etc. I stayed late to speak to Brian, the KJ and we watched 2 of the judges leave with 2 of the girls that participated, both got 1st, 2nd. At that point Brian called the contest chairman and said he was finished and also he called the girl and told her what happened. This is how bad these contests can go. My advice is don't do these contests, they really are designed to get patrons and singers in the bars by the owners, and many times the opposite occurs, more people become upset then are happy, and never return. If you're going to use real judges, use people who train singers they are the best. Many times I've seen judges who are not singers themselves and have no idea as to what the song sounds like. MY advice is if you have to do a contest do drink giveaways or something innocent. I was in a contest with a bass country singer named Dalton 5 or 6 years ago. He eventually won the national contest in Las Vegas and received a recording contract in Nashville. We became close friends and I even recorded him for a demo. He was an ex marine who had been wounded in combat in Iraq, and a great story. Even as good as Dalton was one of the best I ever heard, he moved to Georgia, and last I heard he was not in the music business. So if you are a really good singer, become well trained, write your own music, and work professionally for the experience. Then go get a rep and do some mastered recordings and maybe the rep will set you up to meet some producers at the record labels.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:16 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 2 times
mrmarog wrote:
You need to relax and stop over analyzing this. It's a karaoke contest! If you are really really talented, then sing your heart out and connect with the audience, and relax.

This is good advice at any time. I mean, yes, it's a karaoke contest and not brain surgery or saving the planet or feeding the starving nations.
The other thing is, ironically, the more you relax, the better you sing. So it's kind of a zen challenge to achieve by not reaching. :wink:

The particular contest I have in mind, the reason I started this thread, is a national contest with thousands of entrants overall, so it's not just a local "let's have fun and win a free drink" thing. Which means treading the line between polishing up my best performance and then just letting go and enjoying the moment with the crowd.

I'm just looking to give my efforts their best chance.
And in the end, it's any excuse to sing.

Last edited by CruneMeATune on Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:19 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
Forget that I personally hate contests. All you really can do is sing your heart out and do the best performance that you have in you. If it's good enough to move you through the process, that is gravy on the turkey. What really matters is how you feel about your performance when you get through singing. Pick songs that move emotions that you know well enough not to have to rely on the screen and have fun.

That was very well spoken, Danny. You stated how you feel about contests, yet you gave her the encouragement to perform her best. I too wish her the best of luck, even though we both know that contests are a farce. Nice job Danny.

By the way... I stated my reasons why I hate contests. Just curious, what are your reasons why you hate them?

Despite how many people come in for the contest, unless you are that exceptional as a host, they end up coming to the contest nights and then never return unless you have another contest and no matter how fair the contest is, because a lot of the new people who come in are thinking that they are all that and should be the winner, they go away complaining the contest is fixed when they don't win. I have only been to one contest where even I can say that the person who actually won wasn't just a good buddy of the owner or some hot chick that one of the judges wants to go to bed with. And no I didn't win that contest. The one who evetually won the contest was also the one who qualified on the only qualifying night that I could be there. He was that much better than I was. Plus it's not worth alienating some of the regulars who are just there to have fun and sing but all the contest people are cutting into their singing time. I don't mind gaining new regulars but I need to be aware of the regulars as well.

Thank you, Danny and Alan, for being encouraging while sharing your experience. It helps to understand these things from the inside out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:00 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
You know, contests can be favorably compared to our system of government. It's filled with lies, corruption, and deceit. Honesty, fairness, and morals are thrown out the window. A contest is no different.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:14 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Alan B wrote:
You know, contests can be favorably compared to our system of government. It's filled with lies, corruption, and deceit. Honesty, fairness, and morals are thrown out the window. A contest is no different.

:lol: Insightful analogy.

To keep with that analogy: I'm from Canada. Our government has its share of lies, corruption, and deceit. And yet, somehow, it works with some sense of order and sanity. A contest here is often no different. :P

To quote Henslowe in "Shakespear in Love": The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster.... Strangely enough, it all turns out well."