KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - My new system Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: My new system
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:34 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
I have decided to go with the MG12XU after all. I have to get the rack kit from Guitar Center because Zzounds apparently doesn't carry it. I chose the rack that you originally suggested which Zzounds also suggested because of having more in stock than the other one that I asked about. Either one will work. The mixer is just less than 10Us.

Attachments:
79393-4ea5dc2b0d65669b09eba2a61dfb5760.jpg
79393-4ea5dc2b0d65669b09eba2a61dfb5760.jpg [ 36.73 KiB | Viewed 31225 times ]
MG12XU_top_small-7268ca76250f6738e84850e081909099.jpg
MG12XU_top_small-7268ca76250f6738e84850e081909099.jpg [ 71.84 KiB | Viewed 31225 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:43 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
I have decided to go with the MG12XU after all. I have to get the rack kit from Guitar Center because Zzounds apparently doesn't carry it. I chose the rack that you originally suggested which Zzounds also suggested because of having more in stock than the other one that I asked about. Either one will work. The mixer is just less than 10Us.

That's awesome, Danny! I'm sure you will love your new setup. Congrats!

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:23 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan, even though I didn't choose a subwoofer to go with the speakers, I decided to leave that until a later purchase should I really need to. I was talking with an old friend of mine and he agreed with me that for the most part subs weren't absolutely necessary for the bars in the area. That straight mains were basically all that were really needed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:44 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Alan, even though I didn't choose a subwoofer to go with the speakers, I decided to leave that until a later purchase should I really need to. I was talking with an old friend of mine and he agreed with me that for the most part subs weren't absolutely necessary for the bars in the area. That straight mains were basically all that were really needed.

You'll know right away if you need a sub after you try them at the bar. Remember, a sub isn't just to give you more bass but also to ease the strain on the tops giving you a cleaner, fuller sound. As Meghan Trainor once sang: "It's All About That Bass".

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:05 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 116 times
Alan B wrote:
Instead of getting equipment to fit in your case, why don't you upgrade your case so you can get what you really want? Here's what you need that will fit the Yamaha MG12XU... https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -1skb-r104

Hey Alan, I'm not a user of cases so I need a little help with the case's info. I'm not sure how big is 10U or 4U or how wide is the area for the mixer. I have the Behringer 1222USB and I was wondering if my mixer will fit in the case you're mentioning? Can I also mount the GTD G-787 on the bottom? I would probably get the AV-8 popup shelf too. I'm hoping everything can fit nicely because this case will make life so much simpler in my mobile KJ gigs. Thanks for any info you can help me with.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:58 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

bazinga wrote:
Alan B wrote:
Instead of getting equipment to fit in your case, why don't you upgrade your case so you can get what you really want? Here's what you need that will fit the Yamaha MG12XU... https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -1skb-r104

Hey Alan, I'm not a user of cases so I need a little help with the case's info. I'm not sure how big is 10U or 4U or how wide is the area for the mixer. I have the Behringer 1222USB and I was wondering if my mixer will fit in the case you're mentioning? Can I also mount the GTD G-787 on the bottom? I would probably get the AV-8 popup shelf too. I'm hoping everything can fit nicely because this case will make life so much simpler in my mobile KJ gigs. Thanks for any info you can help me with.

I also have a Behringer X1222USB and it fits the top slant perfectly. And yes, you can mount the GTD Audio G-787 on the bottom. I've done that too. The antennas will be inside the case. It won't interfere with the range at all. Just try to keep other cables from touching them.

Remember; 1U = 1.75 inches (1 rack space). So, the top of the SKB would be 10U = 17.5 inches. I believe the Behringer X1222USB is around 12" so you'll have room to spare. And the GTD Audio receiver will take up 1 rack space on the bottom. Hope this helps/

Oh... The X1222USB is rack mountable. It even comes with the rack kit. So, you wouldn't need a shelf for the top, if that's why you were thinking of getting one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:18 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

bazinga wrote:
Alan B wrote:

S rack space is 1.75 inches if that helps. For the top take the depth of the unit and divide it by 1.75 and you should have the number of rack spaces. For the bottom it's the height you want to divide by 1.75 to get the rack space of the unit you want to mount there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:26 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

You'll know right away if you need a sub after you try them at the bar. Remember, a sub isn't just to give you more bass but also to ease the strain on the tops giving you a cleaner, fuller sound. As Meghan Trainor once sang: "It's All About That Bass".

I have never had anything but clean sound. As I have said in the past, the singers that I get at my shows are mostly good to excellent singers and usually once they find my show they usually become regulars. I believe that it's a combination of the way that I run my rotation and the sound that keeps them coming back. I have been told that I seem to be in the minority of hosts that actually care enough to get the singers sounding the best that they can. The majority are set and forget It's only Karaoke so as long as the audience is having fun that's all that matters and for them not sounding good doesn't make it fun.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:50 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 116 times
Alan B wrote:
bazinga wrote:
Alan B wrote:

I also have a Behringer X1222USB and it fits the top slant perfectly. And yes, you can mount the GTD Audio G-787 on the bottom. I've done that too. The antennas will be inside the case. It won't interfere with the range at all. Just try to keep other cables from touching them.

Remember; 1U = 1.75 inches (1 rack space). So, the top of the SKB would be 10U = 17.5 inches. I believe the Behringer X1222USB is around 12" so you'll have room to spare. And the GTD Audio receiver will take up 1 rack space on the bottom. Hope this helps/

Oh... The X1222USB is rack mountable. It even comes with the rack kit. So, you wouldn't need a shelf for the top, if that's why you were thinking of getting one.

Thanks Alan, I really appreciate your help. The AV-8 is the popup shelf that mounts over the mixer so I can place my laptop on it. Looks like I might be getting this setup. Thanks again, you're a wealth of information!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:59 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I am having second thoughts about the 10u slant 4u bottom. I have almost decided that I am only going to run 2 wireless mics (the Sennheisers) and with the power conditioner I really only need 2u's below. It will make the rack that much lighter than adding another wireless receiver in addition. I am personally happy with the built-in effects processor in the MG10XU mixer that I presently hook into although I want to play around with the effects to see which one that I like the best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:27 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
I am having second thoughts about the 10u slant 4u bottom. I have almost decided that I am only going to run 2 wireless mics (the Sennheisers) and with the power conditioner I really only need 2u's below. It will make the rack that much lighter than adding another wireless receiver in addition. I am personally happy with the built-in effects processor in the MG10XU mixer that I presently hook into although I want to play around with the effects to see which one that I like the best.

I would go with the 4U bottom. It's not that much heavier and it's always better to have the extra space available if you should need it in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:37 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
I am personally happy with the built-in effects processor in the MG10XU mixer that I presently hook into although I want to play around with the effects to see which one that I like the best.

I use the MG10, with EFX, old style mixer, with inserts and balanced 1/4 outs. I run (3) Shure wireless mics, (1) Fat Boy Mutant Mic (phantom powered) and (1) music channel. I could still add a couple more inputs, but I have no need to.

It has knobs rather faders, which I prefer, because of the much smaller footprint. The EFX are more than adequate for all my needs. The best thing is.... I have had it for more than 10 years and still works perfectly.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:29 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Smooth had to introduce a new wrinkle in my choices. I have a friend who is more than willing to lend me a pair of speakers until I can afford to buy the Yamaha speakers. I get to keep the Studio Flyer rack and place the new mixer in a mixer bag and operate it without having to totally remove it from the bag. Plus it's a digital mixer that I can wrap my head around because it has all the controls and indicators in full view which was my problem with the Bose mixer. And by holding off on the speaker purchase, I can save a little money.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:35 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Danny, you are impossible to help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am done. You cannot be helped.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:23 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 629 times
mrmarog wrote:
Danny, you are impossible to help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am done. You cannot be helped.

mrmarog don't you kind of feel like this about Danny's posts? :banghead:
What he will end up with will not be anything close to any of his posts.
He never listens to any advice he asks for, but instead answers his own thoughts.
Why he even posts is beyond me.
He builds systems in his head, constantly changes his mind and will end up with off the wall, less than professional sound equipment mixed in with maybe a couple of pieces of pro equipment.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:49 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 12 times
I have been reading the posts here from Danny and I have to say there was some interesting info. I've been in the business over 30 years and I'm what they call a sound w*ore. Basically I go all out for the best sound, which I hear the best in my perception. Believe it or not if you get 10 people in a room and give them 5 different speakers, you're going to get many different opinions. One of the main problems esp. in SW Fl. is hearing loss not only of the patrons but the KJ host. I worked with a guy once in his 50s who couldn't hear on one side, so I usually have my hearing tested once/year. I've owned Peavey black widows, EV, both unpowered, Bose portables, Bose LI, currently QSC 12s, JVC EON portable. What some of the people are missing here on the Bose is that it shoots out nearly 180 deg. so you could set up 2 units so the singer is getting great feedback sound. On the bad side are plug ins, settings which the tone match is supposed to optimize. I'm not a fan of tone match for mics, although works great for a musical instrument. The only other issue with the Bose portable units was working outdoors, and after hours of use in warm weather, the amps would begin to break down. I called the engineers at Bose, and they always answer the phone with help, recommending turning the units up which I did. The QSC K12s are bruisers and are very consistent. I use both Allen and Heath and Peavey steel made mixers, as well as Sennheiser 945 portables, which may be the best singing mic I've ever used, again to my ears. I agree with the person who said Bose had the best help line for issues. All in all, the guy behind the mixer makes the difference in any sound system, sadly not enough time is taken to generate the best sound they can for each singer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:25 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Capt Frank wrote:
All in all, the guy behind the mixer makes the difference in any sound system, sadly not enough time is taken to generate the best sound they can for each singer.
This I agree and disagree with. Yes the person running sound is who will ultimately make a difference in the quality. However it's not so much lack of time (it only takes a few seconds to decently dial in a singer), but more of kj's either not knowing how to adjust their sound, not knowing the equipment, or simply doesn't adjust anyone (either by design or simply lazy - I talk with several kj's that say once they have their eq's set - that's it, they adjust nothing more other than volume on each channel.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:03 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
Capt Frank wrote:
The QSC K12s are bruisers and are very consistent.

:banger: I'd like to add QSC K12.2 & KW122 :clapper:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:52 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 12 times
Lonman wrote:
Capt Frank wrote:
All in all, the guy behind the mixer makes the difference in any sound system, sadly not enough time is taken to generate the best sound they can for each singer.
This I agree and disagree with. Yes the person running sound is who will ultimately make a difference in the quality. However it's not so much lack of time (it only takes a few seconds to decently dial in a singer), but more of kj's either not knowing how to adjust their sound, not knowing the equipment, or simply doesn't adjust anyone (either by design or simply lazy - I talk with several kj's that say once they have their eq's set - that's it, they adjust nothing more other than volume on each channel.

That would be true if all karaoke tracks are the same, however, what I've found is you still need to tweak the eq some because not all tracks are the same, esp. the bass. I only say this because I do a lot of recording and I've had to adjust the EQ either in my mixer or DAW, adding some bass or high, but also with the singing as well. I know some that use digital mixers and they go out in the audience and set their EQs before the show, and that would be fine if it's a one singer show, doing the same set, I'm just not one of those people. Guess I'm just old school, but it does tell the audience that you care about each and every singer, and the feedback is tremendous. Conversely I know a KJ who is very popular goes out in the audience, mingles when the singer is on, but I hear a lot of comments that the singer is too loud, can't hear the music, system off, so who wins? Good music always wins out just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:05 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Capt Frank wrote:
Lonman wrote:
Capt Frank wrote:

That would be true if all karaoke tracks are the same, however, what I've found is you still need to tweak the eq some because not all tracks are the same, esp. the bass. I only say this because I do a lot of recording and I've had to adjust the EQ either in my mixer or DAW, adding some bass or high, but also with the singing as well. I know some that use digital mixers and they go out in the audience and set their EQs before the show, and that would be fine if it's a one singer show, doing the same set, I'm just not one of those people. Guess I'm just old school, but it does tell the audience that you care about each and every singer, and the feedback is tremendous. Conversely I know a KJ who is very popular goes out in the audience, mingles when the singer is on, but I hear a lot of comments that the singer is too loud, can't hear the music, system off, so who wins? Good music always wins out just my 2 cents.

Totally agree with this reply. Besides my rotation, giving the singer the attention needed sound wise has been my hallmark. If the system doesn't sound good, you end up with the I don't care, just here to have a good time and torture everyone with my horrible voice. That's not anywhere near my shows. I have a roommate that has attended a lot of my shows, heard my system through its changes and with the exception of the Line Array and Bose mixer combination, she has told me and so has the person who owns the venue that was forced to close down last October, who now works full-time as a musician recording his own music for TV shows. Even though I am a very close friend of my roommate, I highly respect his opinion more than my roommate because of what field of work that he does.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next