KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Using Karaoke Version tracks professionally Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:55 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 116 times
In another post I mentioned that Karaoke Version's tracks are for personal use only. However, DannyG2006 mentioned that he received permission from Karaoke Version to use the tracks he purchased in his shows. I too got permission from Karaoke Version to use the tracks I purchased from them in a professional show. If anyone want to use their KV tracks in their show you should contact KV. Like DannyG2006, it took a couple of emails and proof of purchase and I received their blessing. So if you own any KV tracks give them a shout!

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:43 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
I got that email years ago, they just want the clubs that they are being played in to be paying their PRO fees.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:44 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Lonnie, when I asked them they wanted me to send them the songs I had and the serial numbers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:38 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Never had that request but my email was also from 2011 or so

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:35 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
bazinga wrote:
In another post I mentioned that Karaoke Version's tracks are for personal use only. However, DannyG2006 mentioned that he received permission from Karaoke Version to use the tracks he purchased in his shows. I too got permission from Karaoke Version to use the tracks I purchased from them in a professional show. If anyone want to use their KV tracks in their show you should contact KV. Like DannyG2006, it took a couple of emails and proof of purchase and I received their blessing. So if you own any KV tracks give them a shout!

bazinga wrote:
Lonnie, when I asked them they wanted me to send them the songs I had and the serial numbers.

Since you bought the downloads from them in the first place, shouldn't they already have that information? They should have a record of what they sold, and to whom.

Also, doesn't their TOS already say something about commercial use being permissible as long as the PRO fees are paid.

Of course, this also puts us right back to our original arguments over the years regarding the fact that it's not their music to give permission for use in public (but what are the odds that someone is going to go after you for this anyway)?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:01 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 242 times
bazinga wrote:
In another post I mentioned that Karaoke Version's tracks are for personal use only.

I'd question what "personal use" even means? Once a track has been licensed, how does the licensor restrict the use of that track without contractually defining the terms? And what if a licensee does breach the contract? I don't see how it could be considered to be a copyright infringement, but instead it would be a contractual one. So if I'm correct in my thinking, without the threat of statutory fines, the licensor would be hard pressed to declare anything that would resemble damages worthy of the expense of filing a lawsuit.

I suppose there would be a better chance at filing a trademark infringement suit, but if the licensee is not reselling the track but merely playing the track then where's the violation? Then there is always the issue as to venue. Just where on earth would a company located in Europe whose terms and conditions I assume would be reflected under their country's respective legal codes. Would they file it in their own country? Good luck with that one, or would they file it in the country of the licensee, whose laws may or may not be applicable?

Of course this is all an exercise in nothingburgers because we all know or at least we all should know that no one will be suing anyone for using a track commercially that was purchased for "private use" only, but there are answers to those questions I'm sure as I'm also sure that these situations have come up before with other IP products.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:18 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
Here in Canada I just provided a letter of permission from the KJ music provider to our Canadian karaoke licensing Re-Sound.

It's all good as Lonnie stated. It's up to the licensing and KJ music provider to agree. (The fees get paid... good to go)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:03 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I just did it because DannyG2006 mentioned that he had an email conversation with them and KV gave him permission to use it in a pro environment. I figured I might as well email KV too because I thought their songs was only for private use and not for a KJ. I had nothing to loose and everything worked out so I'm happy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:34 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 242 times
Indeed it never hurts to get permission of any sort especially in writing. I think you did the smart thing. I was only raising the point that I don't think there's much recourse for the seller against those who didn't get written permission should they use the tracks commercially.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:44 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

you can go here http://www.karafun.com/karaoke-song-list.html
and download the CSV file of their entire library and add it to your existing songbook of tracks.
Adds 29000 tracks to your existing library.

(Good idea for those doing the Karaoke-version.com buy-and-download as requested)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:14 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Except by buying here and there of what I need I have no ongoing monthly cost and have nothing in return. Once bought, it's in my library even if the streaming source pulls it. Streaming is great for someone starting out, but not kj's with large lcore libraries to start with.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:10 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Not referring to the subscription part... but the actual Karaoke-version.com website music tracks.

The Karafun Songlist has everything listed...

Example: a singer approaches my kiosk and puts in a request for (A Song I don't have)... the request gets sent to the player where I simply "buy and download" the requested song.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:08 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
cousinvinnie wrote:
Not referring to the subscription part... but the actual Karaoke-version.com website music tracks.

The Karafun Songlist has everything listed...

Example: a singer approaches my kiosk and puts in a request for (A Song I don't have)... the request gets sent to the player where I simply "buy and download" the requested song.

Please clarify this...

A person uses your kiosk (what program is it?) and then the kiosk sends the request to the player (What player? Karafun?) And then you buy it (from who? karafun or Karaoke version?)

You need to be more specific.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:49 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Alan it's simple... If anyone plans on using karaoke-version.com for purchasing tracks... then they can use the karafun songlist as their songbook.

The rest is self-explanatory.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:44 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 204 times
FYI:

There is a link to "Catalog" on the homepage of KV.

The linked PDF includes ALL instrumental and karaoke tracks. The total is over 49K

If you check their English language karaoke video list, there are just under 22K.

I'd certainly like a PDF of only the English language files. Then, I'd like a PDF of only the Spanish language files.

If the karafun listing includes only karaoke video files, then it must include all 8 languages to reach the 29k total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:59 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Their CSV files suck. Everything goes into one column in my spreadsheet program and won't in Port into my Songbook Creator program either.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:29 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Their CSV files suck. Everything goes into one column in my spreadsheet program and won't in Port into my Songbook Creator program either.
Open in Excel and click Data, then Text to Columns, divider is a semicolon and it puts everything as it should be.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:32 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

cousinvinnie wrote:
Alan it's simple... If anyone plans on using karaoke-version.com for purchasing tracks... then they can use the karafun songlist as their songbook.

The rest is self-explanatory.

And again a drawback to sites like Karafun - loss of songs. Some songs I 'bought' from Karaoke Version are no longer available as video versions at KV and not available at all in Karafun - so no longer available to Karafun users but I still have them. So it would suck to put up their catalog as 'available' only to get a request for that song and find that they actually do not have it anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:25 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Lonman wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
Open in Excel and click Data, then Text to Columns, divider is a semicolon and it puts everything as it should be.

after separating select all and copy, then paste into your existing songbook

On another note: you can always use just the karaoke-version.net online search.

Man I really miss tricerasoft.. it was so convenient to buy n download tracks as needed.... too bad they gone.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:30 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

cousinvinnie wrote:
On another note: you can always use just the karaoke-version.net online search.
Which is what I use when I buy something. Except it's karaoke-version.com