KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Well, this changes everything. Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:45 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Bastiat wrote:
lonman wrote:
They were offering Buykaraokedownload tracks as well along with a couple other defunct manufacturers that were shut down due to licensing to begin with.

He was offering downloads through a website called "karaokedownloads.com", is that what you meant to say or was he selling stuff through BKD as well?
they were selling BKD tracks via both karaokedownloads and selectkaraoke

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:30 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
Tricerasoft got busted and fined also, But who will find them... they are gonzo.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:11 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 242 times
lonman wrote:

I did not know that. Unfortunately he's gone dark and no one seems to know where he is but I'd be curious to learn if he knew BKD was not legit when he was selling their tracks. I guess it doesn't really matter now but more out of curiosity than anything else. I had many lengthy conversations with Guy and in fact discussed the possibility of selling my catalog to him before TSHTF, and I thought he was pretty much above board, but then again it ain't all that difficult to fool me.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:48 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
Aside from the general implications, the thing that upsets me the most about this case is the fact that Zoom, SBI etc probably already payed millions of dollars in royalties and the publishers happily accepted them for several years before they decided to get greedy and ruin everyone's lives

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:10 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Bastiat wrote:
lonman wrote:

I did not know that. Unfortunately he's gone dark and no one seems to know where he is but I'd be curious to learn if he knew BKD was not legit when he was selling their tracks. I guess it doesn't really matter now but more out of curiosity than anything else. I had many lengthy conversations with Guy and in fact discussed the possibility of selling my catalog to him before TSHTF, and I thought he was pretty much above board, but then again it ain't all that difficult to fool me.

Yeah as a matter of fact after they were supposed to stop selling all the UK tracks, they continued to sell SBI - but they removed all reference to manufacturers toward the end. I sent them an email asking how are we supposed to know which is which since SBI was my goto, need to know which ones i'm choosing from, they sent me an email back stating they still SBI and would put a small red heart at the end of the song titles to denote it was an SBI/Abraxa track but 'not to tell anyone' or he would remove the indicator. Still have that email from 2015 - guess it's not a big deal to let the cat out of the bag now since it doesn't mean anything anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:02 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

jclaydon wrote:
Aside from the general implications, the thing that upsets me the most about this case is the fact that Zoom, SBI etc probably already payed millions of dollars in royalties and the publishers happily accepted them for several years before they decided to get greedy and ruin everyone's lives

That's one aspect that really does rub people the wrong way. I'd be surprised it the numbers are in the millions though but nevertheless I'm sure they're substantial. It isn't strictly about royalties though, it's probably more a matter of control over their content. They hate compulsories with a passion, although there are no compulsory provisions anywhere else in the world that I'm aware of other than in the U.S.A. which essentially is what the ABKCO v Stellar case was all about. Some artists/publishers want you to have to listen and/or buy their music but some of those very same artists don't want you to be able to sing them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:22 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Lonman wrote:
Yeah as a matter of fact after they were supposed to stop selling all the UK tracks, they continued to sell SBI - but they removed all reference to manufacturers toward the end.

That was probably more to protect his suppliers than himself. I don't think most people realize just how petty and vicious some of these publishers can be. They'll think nothing of blackballing a supplier to the point that nobody will buy their tracks. Some publishers are very decent human beings but the major ones for the most part are nothing more than predatory trolls that behave like a bunch of third graders. I know that's hard for people to believe because they come across so refined and sophisticated with their Kiton suits and Salvatore Ferragamo shoes. The only way I can describe them is that they are evil and at the root of all of this piracy, but even worse, they are a perfect example of what happens when governments get in bed with business. You end up with predatory monopolies.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:12 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

According to SBI they were supposed to stop selling shortly before that email - even put a disclaimer on their own page that Tri was still selling tracks without THEIR permisson. So, I don't think it was to protect anything but their own interest.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:07 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Lonman wrote:
According to SBI they were supposed to stop selling shortly before that email - even put a disclaimer on their own page that Tri was still selling tracks without THEIR permisson. So, I don't think it was to protect anything but their own interest.

Like I said it isn't too hard to fool me, and from what you're saying it sure sounds like something shady was going on there. I never let him sell my tracks so i have no skin in that game either way, but I try not to be too quick to judge until I hear both sides of the story. It wouldn't be the first time that I reversed my position after hearing both sides.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:54 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 130 times
Bastiat wrote:
The only way I can describe them is that they are evil and at the root of all of this piracy, but even worse, they are a perfect example of what happens when governments get in bed with business. You end up with predatory monopolies.
From what I recall of your historical namesake, he'd have said the same thing! :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:40 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Elementary Penguin wrote:
From what I recall of your historical namesake, he'd have said the same thing!

So what do you recall of my "historical namesake", and who is "he'd?"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:01 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
Bastiat wrote:
Lonman wrote:

Like I said it isn't too hard to fool me, and from what you're saying it sure sounds like something shady was going on there. I never let him sell my tracks so i have no skin in that game either way, but I try not to be too quick to judge until I hear both sides of the story. It wouldn't be the first time that I reversed my position after hearing both sides.

When I was selling CDs, a week later my product was everywhere..
And no, I didn't sell or give permission to anyone..
So, not letting someone sell your tracks doesn't mean squat it seems..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:47 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Quote:
So, not letting someone sell your tracks doesn't mean squat it seems

I initially had an issue with Tricerasoft selling the Panorama Top Hits Monthly product and had to threaten a lawsuit in order to get them removed as those products were infringing on my trademark but other than that I'm pretty sure he didn't sell any of my tracks although I believe that they are being sold elsewhere and I think that the people selling them don't suspect that I know, but they're in for a rude awakening. Maybe not right away as there are other priorities but the time will come sooner or later.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:43 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 307 times
Bastiat wrote:

I believe he is referring to Frédéric.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:05 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I thought that was what he meant but you never know on these forums. :) In any event, I happen to agree with him. Frederic would not be very happy with publishers or probably most forms of copyright in general.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:56 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 130 times
earthling12357 wrote:
Bastiat wrote:

I believe he is referring to Frédéric.

Indeed, but I was forgetting his first name. A French economist and writer who argued for the clear separation of government and business, somewhere around the same time the Founding Fathers were arguing for a separation of church and state. Oh those revolutionaries.