KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Ultra high end karaoke system Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:07 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Ill listen to my sales guy, good friend and gives me discounts (authorized).

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:08 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
I think your sales guy listens to you Lonman. Cuz he knows U ain't stupid.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:39 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
djdon wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
If you really want to go anywhere, get a JBL Eon One Pro. Battery operated. For 600 less than the EV.

Horrible sound.

Your opinion. I heard a Bose system and in my opinion JBL sounds Fuller. It actually sounded better than any of the conventional systems that I have ever heard. So don't be surprised if I don't accept your opinion as the truth.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:00 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
Your opinion. I heard a Bose system and in my opinion JBL sounds Fuller.

But Danny... how could that be? After all, the JBL is only one third the price of the Bose. I don't understand.

Actually Danny, a couple of the guys at Sweetwater said the exact same thing and actually preferred the sound of the cheaper JBL system.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:57 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 629 times
Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
Your opinion. I heard a Bose system and in my opinion JBL sounds Fuller.

But Danny... how could that be? After all, the JBL is only one third the price of the Bose. I don't understand.

Actually Danny, a couple of the guys at Sweetwater said the exact same thing and actually preferred the sound of the cheaper JBL system.

Different ears I guess. My best friend bought the JBL, the exact same one you have Danny, and I will say it sounds very good, yes, I admit, maybe fuller than a Bose Compact (which would be its true competitor in the Bose line, and both about the same price) but in no way can it compare to the big brother Bose L1MII, no way at all.
Now I am not selling short the JBL, very nice unit and it will work well for you in the average bar venue.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:04 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

One cannot quantify what a certain type of system sounds like until they actually have had the experience of seeing it in action. Granted the Bose that I had heard was being used to provide sound for a four piece band and not Karaoke but since it was sounding clean and clear despite the issue of not being able to really hear the vocals over the instruments, and they had all the instruments hooked into the main mixer. A good soundman could have done better but it definitely wasn't the system. I was skeptical about what the sound quality of the JBL would actually be until I actually used it and now I am convinced that I made the right decision.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:17 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Hey I agree with DannyG2006 with JBL.

Back in the "Analog" days the major brands were "SOUNDCRAFT Mixing consoles & JBL speakers (They were the perfect mix)

Well then EV blew them away!!! just sayin'
(I'll admit that i am being biased here because I'm a huge Electro-Voice fan since back in the day)
#JBLSUCKS #EVROCKS

In my opinion BOSE will be BOSE. They have a unique market catering to those "SOUND perfectionists" but also comes at a price.
#WIFELOVESBOSE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:34 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

The Bose that I am comparing to is not the compact. Whether or not it's the model 1 or 2, I am not sure but I am sure that it's not the compact. The JBL blew it out of the water in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:39 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Now it could be the fact that I was using the Bose Tonematch mixer with it but it wouldn't explain how when I played my phone though the Bluetooth, sounded just as good as when I was using the mixer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:48 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I could see JBL blowing away the L1 with the "B1" bass module.

NOT THE B2 though. That BOSE B2 has 4 times the balls as the B1. But I give JBL a thumbs up because they do have a very nice clean and even sound output (INDOORS) {{chuckle}}

I did notice back in the day the JBL does not work in changing conditions (Kinda like having an allergy to moisture)

#BOSEB1SUX, #USINGJBLOUTDOORSUX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:39 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 629 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
The Bose that I am comparing to is not the compact. Whether or not it's the model 1 or 2, I am not sure but I am sure that it's not the compact. The JBL blew it out of the water in my opinion.

And you are entitled to your opinion, as am I. It is my opinion that I don’t believe that!
Once again I am not knocking the JBL Eon One, it is a fine piece of equipment, but I too have heard it next to a Bose L1 Compact and a Bose L1s and a Bose L1M1 (discontinued) and while it did sound better than the Bose Compact, It did not come close to the Bose L1s with a B2 or not even in the same neighborhood of the Bose L1M1 with a B2

cousinvinnie wrote:
They have a unique market catering to those "SOUND perfectionists" but also comes at a price.
#WIFELOVESBOSE

cousinvinnie you really should listen to your wife on this!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:07 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
RLC wrote:
...............land while it did sound better than the Bose Compact, It did not come close to the Bose L1s with a B2 or not even in the same neighborhood of the Bose L1M1 with a B2

I agree with RLC. Based on my last gig using Bose L1, T1 and B2 Bass Module, I’d say the system packs a mighty punch. Some dj music were requested, I crank it as loud as I can, I did not hear any distortion. Just pure clean sound with amazing lows.

btw, I am simply commenting from my experience with the system. I have no intention whatsoever of starting another back & forth pi**ing contest with Alan. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:50 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

BOSE will be BOSE but my EV's are SEXIER!!!
Attachment:
26168572_1535767769852649_7067112497421925763_n.jpg
26168572_1535767769852649_7067112497421925763_n.jpg [ 48.17 KiB | Viewed 30096 times ]

Attachment:
26055727_1533147640114662_6186822976630915535_n.jpg
26055727_1533147640114662_6186822976630915535_n.jpg [ 68.58 KiB | Viewed 30096 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:42 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
hey since this is a home setup, I'd say your music option is a no brainer.
Karokeversion has a home user subscription for $20US *i think, i'd have to check my paypal account*. Access to over 20,000 songs and they add new stuff on a almost weekly basis.

The only downside is you'd have to use their Karafun player to use the tracks. .

Mac options are pretty limited software wise, but i hear good things about openkj.

If you went that option, i'd say your best bet is to get a series of ZOOM mp+g discs.

just my two cents,

-James

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:27 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

KaraFun streaming plan is $5.99 for a 2 day pass. A monthly pass is $9.99

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:15 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 28 times
You will never need $10,000 for a good home system. Scale that back a bit lol. I set up a friend with a little $80 Behringer mini mixer - tying into her pre-existing home theatre system - and Karafun on her laptop to get her going.... Bar quality sound without the massive sound board, or it's abilities.

Really, the trouble with karaoke-at-home in general is the fact that ever disc manufacture sounds wildy different than any other. Most brands that are "made for home use" kind of sound like they are made for home use, with a few exceptions of course. Without knowledge of the music and the equipment, even a $10,000 system will sound like suck.

First - get a laptop. Any free Mp3+G playing program will do... you don't need anything professional. Karafun is my recommendation, as it has the streaming access for all different price points. There has been talk of a good Audio Normalizer on this forum, which would vastly reduce your need to modify every song on any board you may require. I don't know the name, but someone else can help you out.

Second - What are you going to use for speakers? You can absolutely use a home theatre system if you have one. If not, just stick to some of the reputable brands. JBL, Mackie, Alto, and Behringer will do just fine... if you want even better sound, EV or Yorkie will blow your mind. Remember though, you're filling a small room... not a concert venue. 10-12" will suffice, and no need to overkill wattage. Next question is if you want powered, or passive speakers. if you choose passive, then you will need some sort of amp.... you can get powered sound boards to avoid another piece of equipment. For home use, I'd recommend getting powered speakers... just saves hassle and gives you more options.

Third... do you want a sound board? Passive or powered. Sticking with my recommendation, I'd suggest a passive board to go with powered speakers. Don't go powered board, powered speakers lol (Shouldn't need to be said, but you never know) Something simple. 2-4 Mic channels, depending on how many mics you want. You'll need 1 or 2 inputs for music. Make sure it has all the necessary controls (highs mids lows), and a right and left channel. Find one with FX. I honestly love Behringer boards, as I prefer their effects over some others... there will be vastly different opinions on boards on this forum, but as long as it has effects (FX), you're okay. If you don't want the headache of a soundboard, then that mini mixer I mentioned will do in a pinch.. it's called the Behringer MiniMix800. Simply 2 mic inputs, 1 music input, FX and not alot of controls. Does the job just fine.

Next is Microphones. Again.. stick with reputable brands. Shure is kind of the standard with SM58 being the most popular.... if you want wireless, and don't want to spend a fortune, look up discussions on the GTD Audio wireless mics on this board.

All of these things can be accomplished for around $2000-$3000.... the last ingredient is music.... that's where you spend the fortune. Karafun has that awesome subscription service, but if you want to own, there are tons of discussions on here about where to get them.

I hope that helps :)

Last edited by Krisko on Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:39 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I don't agree with the Behringer mixer's having the best FX. I personally think the mixer with the best FX is the Bose T1 ToneMatch mixer. Since for that room you only really need one speaker the ToneMatch mixer is a perfect fit. If you need more than three mics, and I doubt you will. I personally only run with 2 mics for the singers and one mic for myself when I am announcing the next singer. As to Karaoke software, if you want the software to take care of the rotation for you, OpenKJ is the best because it gives three different choices as to where you drop a new singer. One allows you to place the singer next, at the bottom or even set a cut off number in your head and then once you reach that number of people in the rotation start inserting new singers in front of the singer that is up singing. I personally choose the bottom of the list. But that's just how I do it

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:53 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 242 times
So I'll throw my 2 cents in on this discussion. If you're going to go with a hardware system I think Krisko pretty much nailed it on the head. Of course we all tend to do things a bit differently so I'll just state what my preferences would be if I were to install a home karaoke system which would be a software based system instead of a hardware installation. First and foremost of course, the room size will determine how much power you will need to fill the room. Also if you can avoid a square room or cube, do so at all costs as you'll never get it to sound good. Your two biggest challenges will be isolation and room acoustics. I'd recommend hiring a professional if you can afford it but if not try to create what is called an RFZ (Reflection Free Zone). I'm sure there are plenty of things on the internet that can help you with that. As far as the FX are concerned, I haven't heard the FX on the Behringer but most companies do a more than adequate job with digital reverbs for live use. Studio use is an entirely different story but we're not talking about studio quality effects. Strictly from a sound standpoint I would probably go with an audio interface as opposed to a mixer. For example you can pick up a Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD for under $100 on Amazon or Sweetwater, etc. It has 4 mic/line inputs and additional stereo inputs as well for a CD player, etc.. It works with either a PC or a Mac and provides 4 digital outputs via USB. I actually have one of these myself so I can vouch for it by saying that the pre-amps in this device are incredible for the money. Mind you this isn't a $3,500 TubeTech but we're talking live sound here not studio. I couldn't believe as to how quiet and clean they were especially at that price point. The only issue you might have is if you try to use something like a Shure SM7 or a ribbon microphone that needs a lot of pre-amp to power it up in which case you'd have to purchase something like a Cloud Lifter or Fethead, etc. that will give you an additional 25 db or so of clean pre-amp boost. Oh yeah, it also has MIDI in and out which I tried but the latency was too much, but to be fair I didn't really try to tweak it either so I won't totally trash that part of it yet.

You could send the audio to Audacity which you can get for free or there's a program called Reaper which is $60 on the honor system, or any other DAW. If you're on a Mac, Garage Band would work. The beauty of this type of system is that everything is done via software as opposed to a hardware mixer. There are literally thousands of free plug-ins available including some studio quality reverbs, compressors, noise gates, de-essers, etc. You name it it's there. Of course there are also some very expensive plug-ins as well but again the operative word here is "live" sound not studio sound. The one thing I'm not sure about is how this would integrate with karaoke playback software, but I'm sure there are others in the forum that could provide solutions to that matter.

Now as far as speakers go, speakers that are designed for the home and/or home theater are significantly different from sound reinforcement speakers that you might use in a mobile or fixed sound reinforcement system. The suspensions on home speakers are much softer than their stiffer counterparts in the sound reinforcement rig. As Krisko noted, the sound from each karaoke brand varies widely. By and large most are not professionally mastered which, believe it or not works out better in a sound reinforcement system that can handle poorly mixed/recorded tracks which are usually much too dynamic for radio play. Also, if you were to go with a Bose system, I would not recommend using a single array system because a mono system loses too much stereo information which can greatly affect the quality of the tracks adversely and will actually make some songs sound like crap. This is something that I unfortunately learned the hard way, after realizing that many KJs run their systems in mono even if they have a stereo setup. It was quite disheartening to learn that our mixes (PHM) lost a lot of their detail and dynamics when played back on mono systems. For the most part many of them sounded like shyte, and were ill-favored to brands of lesser quality.

If you go with a software based system it really wouldn't make sense to use a powered mixer but powered speakers would be fine if you can find powered home speakers. If you're going with a sound reinforcement system such as the EVs, JBLs, or the Mackies, etc. then a powered mixer would be fine in that sense. Personally, I'm not a big fan of powered speakers or powered mixers, but am not opposed to using them either. I have a JBL 10" Eon system that I use for solo gigs (actually I should say that I used to use, I don't play out anymore) in which the trade-off for convenience is worth the slight loss in sound quality over separate components, although I'm not so sure if they really are all that convenient seeing that you need to run AC power cords to the mains and the sub in addition to the cables carrying the signal. As far as microphones you can't really go wrong with the Shure SM58. There are other mics that work as well in that price range but you can drive yourself crazy trying to decide on alternatives in that price range.

Okay, that's about it for my two cents.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:02 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 12 times
Well after 25 years of Karaoke, live singing, DJ I've owner nearly every piece equipment mentioned. I've had Bose portable, L1s, Peavy black widows, JBL, however, my QSC speakers are very serious monitors and carry serious power, awesome sound. I also believe the JBL portable has a better sound then the portable Bose for less money. I'm surprised no one mentioned Sennheiser, they are just a better singing mic for good singers, just take a look at all the Senns on TV shows these days. I still have a couple portable SM58s including an older more sturdy model, but the Sennheiser 945 is a beast for good singers. For the most part digital mixers would not be required, I've used the QSC digital, but the Peavy is an excellent choice. I'm not a fan of Tone Match or singing, unless you're playing a guitar or keyboard, just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:39 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I will have to totally disagree with you on your assessment of the ToneMatch mixer. I have one and have used several other analog mixers and the ToneMatch mixer blows them away. I see no reason for having more than 2 singing mics and an announcement mic in my system. The effects, I am only using reverb, I don't recall the exact setting but the vocals are rich and full. Much fuller than the Yamaha MG10XU mixer that I use to have.