KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Ultra high end karaoke system Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:12 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
Hi everyone,

I've just finished an extensive home remodel and want to build out an ultra high end karaoke system in our media room. Here are the requirements - I would really appreciate your recommendations...
- Budget is up to $10,000, but $5,000 or less is the sweet spot
- Audiophile sound quality with studio quality effects
- The largest song selection possible (open to subscription)
- Dual high end mics
- I prefer the Apple ecosystem so iPad or similar interface is preferred
- Room size is 36x20 feet

Please let me know what I missed. I currently have a McIntosh 2 channel system in a different room so I am starting from scratch in the media room.

My friends and family love karaoke and I'm an audio and music freak so I want something high tech that sounds amazing with a huge song selection.

Thanks -

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:22 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
btrain wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've just finished an extensive home remodel and want to build out an ultra high end karaoke system in our media room. Here are the requirements - I would really appreciate your recommendations...
- Dual high end mics

Please let me know what I missed. I currently have a McIntosh 2 channel system in a different room so I am starting from scratch in the media room.

My friends and family love karaoke and I'm an audio and music freak so I want something high tech that sounds amazing with a huge song selection.

Thanks -

How much room do you have and how much room are you wanting to fill with sound? Forget that question, I just saw your room size. Is this budget just for equipment or does it also include installation? If it were me, I would get things wired in the walls for a clean look.
Subscription would be your best bet. Or, you could purchase on the fly has you need them. I've spoken to Karaoke Version in the past and they were willing to do discounted bulk purchasing. You could do both. Subscribe short term while you purchase and build your library. The down side to subscribing is not knowing if songs will be pulled. It happens quite often. Once you have it in hand, it's yours.
Some of the Apple people will have to help you with those solutions. Obviously, your choices widen considerably if you go Microsoft.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:12 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Mac software includes OpenKJ which is freeware. If you have to look at the MP3+G discs from Mr Entertainer and Zoom as starters. You can get them through eBay.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:39 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

To kick off the opinions

Electro-Voice Evolve 50 Column Powered Speaker
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Evolve50

One of these would do you just fine. $1600

Bose T1 ToneMatch
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/T1

This would allow for 3 mics and a music source in.
Sound quality and features are top notch. $500

Shure BLX24R/B58 Handheld Wireless System - H9 Band (or H10 Just get both in the same range)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BLXRHHB58-H9

2 @ 450 = $900

Cables, tax etc. $300

That's a kick (@$%&#!) system that has a small footprint and could easily be taken somewhere else for under $3500

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:04 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

If you really want to go anywhere, get a JBL Eon One Pro. Battery operated. For 600 less than the EV.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:13 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

These are what I would go with for home use.

JBL Eon One Pro
https://www.zzounds.com/item--JBLEONONEPRO

Shure dual handheld mic system
https://www.zzounds.com/item--SHUBLX288PG58

Why spend more than you have to and you can pay over time if you need to rather than all at once. The ToneMatch mixer is going for $424 at Zzounds as well. Sweetwater is overinflated for my taste.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:17 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

I must have looked right over it..

Here is the SM58 version of the wireless mic.

Shure BLX24R/SM58 Handheld Wireless System - H9 Band

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BLXRHH58-H9

$150 less each.

I like the Beta. Less muddy and a tighter pickup pattern which can help with feedback. Only pick the Beta if you have experienced singers that understand mic control. You could go with one of each no problem.

Danny makes a point on the JBL. It is $600 less. 380 watts versus 1000 with the EV. The JBL would be fine for that room. I wouldn't use a single for spaces much larger.

Bose has their line arrays as well. Line arrays work fantastic for your application. I've used my Bose L1 classic in 100s of living room and basement shows. They have a small footprint and are easy to set up. They usually have a wide disbursement so a single can cover a room easily.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:24 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
If you really want to go anywhere, get a JBL Eon One Pro. Battery operated. For 600 less than the EV.

Danny, the JBL may be cheaper but the EV sounds better. I heard them side by side at The Guitar Center and there was no comparison.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:30 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
Some questions that come to mind which would drive my opinion....

Who would be the intended operator of the system itself? Would it be the same tech-savvy person all the time, or would it be for the whole family, where ease-of-use is paramount?

Separating media from hardware, once you know the answer to the above, it can change things dramatically.

Since the system is to be a fixed implementation, I would suggest contacting a local sound/video/production company that does these types of installations for churches and businesses. They can design a system that will be made for your space, look great and will be professionally installed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:43 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

Danny, the JBL may be cheaper but the EV sounds better. I heard them side by side at The Guitar Center and there was no comparison.

The JBL sounds great to me. And I personally would rather be able to set the volume level at half than have to set it barely at a quarter to keep from destroying the windows from too much power.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:50 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

The JBL sounds great to me. And I personally would rather be able to set the volume level at half than have to set it barely at a quarter to keep from destroying the windows from too much power.

Danny, the correct way to do it would be to set the volume on your speaker to the 12 o'clock position and use your mixer's sliders to control the output. And I'm not saying that the JBL doesn't sound great, it's just that the EV sounds better. But don't take my word for it. Go out and compare them for yourself.

Thank you Danny.

Oh, by the way... has your stiffness problem gotten any easier? If not, please be careful. I think that JBL should have put a warning label on the back of the speaker columns: Warning - trying to remove columns may cause bodily injury.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:21 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
btrain wrote:

Thanks -

You might want to check with Chris Avis here. He's selling a CAVS karaoke player loaded with over 20,000 songs.... (he's not sure where the songs came from, but he doesn't care if you don't)

Otherwise, a true "audio and music freak" wouldn't be looking for recommendations.

Just sayin'

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:25 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
Thanks for all the information so far - I'm still going through it all. Please keep it coming.

But I wanted to answer one of the questions since I left it out in my original post - I'm hoping to find a system and interface that's easy for anyone to use. I am savvy enough to install much of the equipment, but I would love to end up with a very clean and simple to use setup once everything is in place as the users will be novices.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:35 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

btrain wrote:
Thanks for all the information so far - I'm still going through it all. Please keep it coming.

But I wanted to answer one of the questions since I left it out in my original post - I'm hoping to find a system and interface that's easy for anyone to use. I am savvy enough to install much of the equipment, but I would love to end up with a very clean and simple to use setup once everything is in place as the users will be novices.

The primary interface, and the most difficult part to handle is the mixer. That is another huge advantage to the T1 option I provided. It has a ton of features, but most of those are hidden behind menus. The knob selection is minimal which makes it easy for a novice user to understand. Most mixers have so many knobs and sliders that most novice users check out mentally at the first glance. If everything will stay hooked up, and most options are preset, the type solution provided so far would be as simple as any.

No matter what you go with, you will have to have a checklist.
Turn on system 1
Turn on system 2
boot up tablet
Set tv to input 3

etc...

That will be the case regardless.

To the point with having a sound engineer build a system in, it would be a fantastic option if you have the money for it. I re-read your post and it seems you are finished with the remodel. It would have made more sense to build the system in when everything was torn apart. The other down side to building in a system is you limit where you can arrange things if you ever want to change things up. That is why I went with something that wouldn't have as many wires to run to opposite sides of a room.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:04 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Two line arrays (which ever you like best) would work terrific in your room. They are much sleeker and less industrial appearing than any conventional speaker. If needed you could purchase an additional bass module as an accessory to the smaller line arrays. Your wife would be much happier with that choice.

If your ceiling is high enough (9 feet plus) you could fly *suspend" a couple of conventional speakers without looking too bad.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:44 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
We have sold several of our Pro streaming players to A/V installers. The player itself is smaller than your average cable TV box. It can connect to WiFi or have ethernet connection. It has a built in drive and you can save all of your favorites to the drive should you desire. Connection to the TV is via HDMI and audio connection to your mixer. You can connect a small touchscreen monitor to the player to control, although considering that it has it's own song rotation manager as well as online songbook - you probably won't need to use it much. We have had less than 20 obscure songs get pulled from the service since we started with digital licensing 4 years ago.

The new releases are automatically added to the player and songbook...cost is 399.99 and 99.99 per month for the subscription (close to 14,000 songs at the moment). All the content is in HD and looks great on a big screen... http://www.partytyme.pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:22 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
btrain wrote:
Hi everyone,

- Dual high end mics

Thanks -

Dude! this is a permanent installation?
Because you want ultra high end, I suggest going with the speaker system that we use currently at shows.

(SPEAKERS)
*a pair of BOSE MA12 Panaray Loudspeakers accompanied with a pair of BOSE MB4 Subs
These speakers get all the raves and best reviews for being the best sounding speakers filling the room with perfect balanced sound and incredible intelligibility.

LONG TERM: these speakers are built to last many years.

(KARAOKE MUSIC + SOFTWARE)
as far as karaoke music. Simply go with KARAFUN for your media room the subscription is only $10.00/monthly and they give you 28000+ tracks and always offer the latest hit songs at no extra charge.
The software is free and runs on Macbook pro, iMac, iPad, perfectly.

(MICROPHONES)
for microphones and we are talking high end here: my personal recommendation is to go with the SHURE brand wireless microphones SLX ($500 range) is a pretty average price for higher end microphones.

Awesome and durable microphones for around $500.00

(MIXER)
anything digital mixer (Analog sucks) will do. I personally use the BOSE T1 Tonematch and love it. Everything I need is built right in. (Delay, Reverb, Compressor, EQ, Room tuner, etc etc.) Excellent choice for $500.00

(COMPUTER SYSTEM)
I use nothing but the best. I chose the Panasonic CF-53 Laptop for use in my media room and also my mobile karaoke shows. They never let me down in many years of use and abuse. Super reliable laptops for under $400.00

You are good to go for a high end system like mine for just under $4000.00
If you charge an average of $200/day for use then in 20 days your investment is PAID IN FULL.

Attachment:
26168572_1535767769852649_7067112497421925763_n.jpg
26168572_1535767769852649_7067112497421925763_n.jpg [ 48.17 KiB | Viewed 38303 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:16 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
DannyG2006 wrote:

Horrible sound.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:47 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

djdon wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

Horrible sound.

Isn't it interesting how everybody likes what they like. When I was discussing line array systems with the guys over at Sweetwater, I was told that a couple of them actually preferred the sound of the JBL over Bose. Go figure!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:20 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
Rule of thumb! Never listen to a sales guy for advise because they make more commission based on their sales.