KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Microsoft vs. Pep licensing Did you know? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:06 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
Microsoft > Did you know that even though you own may own a computer you do not own the license. Yes people, you are paying for the rights to "use" their Operating system

Pep > Even though you shell out $3000 for the Gem series doesn't mean you own them. You are paying for the rights to "Use" their product offerings

Microsoft > Yes, the license does expire.

Pep > Yes the license does expire.

I will probably add more to this because there is more to this.
But do know this. Even though we think we own something doesn't necessarily mean we do.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:23 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 242 times
That would kind of make sense don't you think? If you "owned" the operating system it would mean that you could make "copies" and sell it on the open market. I didn't think that anyone who bought a computer these days thought that they actually owned the operating system, or any of the other firmware or software that is part of functionality of its components, i.e. the BIOS, or the firmware on the graphics card, etc.

Same thing goes for music that you purchase whether it be from Sound Choice, Stellar, Chartbusters or the original artist for that matter. The only thing you actually own is the media on which the content is stored i.e. the CD, or SD card, etc., but you don't own the content itself. That is the property of the company that produced the content and placed it on whatever material object or digital delivery system by which you received the content. Not to be redundant, but why would it make sense for you to think otherwise? If you "owned" the content then you could make "copies" in whichever format you choose and compete with the content's producer. Did you actually think that when you purchased a karaoke track that not only did you "own" the sound recording but also the musical composition? I'm guessing that you are probably rethinking that position right about now.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:45 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Bastiat wrote:
The only thing you actually own is the media on which the content is stored i.e. the CD, or SD card, etc., but you don't own the content itself. That is the property of the company that produced the content and placed it on whatever material object or digital delivery system by which you received the content. Not to be redundant, but why would it make sense for you to think otherwise? If you "owned" the content then you could make "copies" in whichever format you choose and compete with the content's producer. Did you actually think that when you purchased a karaoke track that not only did you "own" the sound recording but also the musical composition? I'm guessing that you are probably rethinking that position right about now.
I have tried telling people that for years. You don't actually own the music, only the format in which to play it on.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:11 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 45 times
Oh No! Now I've got to worry about the,
Karaoke PoPo coming to my House and
Erasing all the No-fly Artists and Songs,
From my cdgs, which I so diligently paid
For with my Toil and Sweat.Sheesh! give
Me a Break!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:38 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Warrenkel16 wrote:
Me a Break!

Who said that? If you bought your tracks, they're yours (in the format you bought them in). The OP is talking about the GEM 'lease'.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:16 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 45 times
Lonman wrote:
Warrenkel16 wrote:
Me a Break!

Who said that? If you bought your tracks, they're yours (in the format you bought them in). The OP is talking about the GEM 'lease'.

Thanks for pointing out the GEM lease remark,
I completely overlooked it! Must have been a
Mote in my Eye. So tell me everything, Is gonna
Be alright.Cool! thanks again Lonman.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:52 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 26 times
cousinvinnie wrote:
Microsoft > Yes, the license does expire.

But Microsoft do not have an expiry built into what I am using. For as long as the hardware upon which my microsoft product functions, it can legally be used. I just cannot get any support after the end of life date.

This is ofcourse doesn't apply to their subscription based services such as O365.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:52 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Depending on the license offered.
1) if its an OEM license (Tied to a machine, non transferable) if the machine dies, then so does the license.

2) if retail > transferable to any machine just like the GEM set is also transferable to another "Qualified KJ"

3) Volume licensing such as the non profit are tied to a corporation/business sorry, non transferable. and these are leased licenses I'm sure Pep has special discounts for 501c3 certified non profits.

In your case Gen x you fall under the OEM. no expiry until the machine dies. non transferable.

Also keep in mind, Microsoft licensing Vs. Pep licensing > 1:1 (One machine / One licence)

Developers get the best deal, all MS software unlimited installs on unlimited machines Virtual or real machines. (MSDN Subscription) very similar to Karafun Pro subscription unlimited ipads, macbooks, windows, or android.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:55 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Is anyone interested in a BRAND NEW unopened complete 6000 song GEM. I know of someone that has one and has never opened it. It is still shrink wrapped and the certification labels are still in the little bag and stapled to the licensing agreement. It can be purchased for a great price. PM me if interested.

I know the GEMS are transferable per JH discussions in the past. The license photo is the actual license with the GEMS.

Attachments:
SC GEM 200 dvd.jpg
SC GEM 200 dvd.jpg [ 208.62 KiB | Viewed 46152 times ]
SC GEM LIC 2.jpg
SC GEM LIC 2.jpg [ 318.58 KiB | Viewed 46153 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:03 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

mrmarog wrote:
Is anyone interested in a BRAND NEW unopened complete 6000 song GEM. I know of someone that has one and has never opened it. It is still shrink wrapped and the certification labels are still in the little bag and stapled to the licensing agreement. It can be purchased for a great price. PM me if interested.

I know the GEMS are transferable per JH discussions in the past. The license photo is the actual license with the GEMS.
Transferable via PEP approval.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:48 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The current owner knows nothing about karaoke or the legalities. They were part of a deal that he had and he got stuck with them. The new owner would have everything needed to be the new legal owner. They are available for less than advertised for many years (including holiday sales).

They are a great deal, but I have no need for them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:02 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Please don't take offence to my low ball offer but I have $1800 USD offer on the table for the Gems. I'm already pre-qualified Pep approved so you will save some hastle.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:15 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

cousinvinnie wrote:
Please don't take offence to my low ball offer but I have $1800 USD offer on the table for the Gems. I'm already pre-qualified Pep approved so you will save some hastle.

That's quite a bit less than he wants..... but you just never know come a little wait!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:40 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

mrmarog wrote:
The current owner knows nothing about karaoke or the legalities. They were part of a deal that he had and he got stuck with them. The new owner would have everything needed to be the new legal owner.
If the current owner is the actual licensed owner of this set, he would need to go through PEP for transfer approval. The set can only be sold to 'PEP' approved kj's per the contract that the GEM lessee would have signed. He cannot just sell and give the paperwork to the buyer, that is a breach of contract. Also, if he bought this set in a deal without PEP knowledge, then the previous owner is in breach as well and those discs 'could' be subject to confiscation - but that I don't know for positive.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:55 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Lonman wrote:
mrmarog wrote:
The current owner knows nothing about karaoke or the legalities. They were part of a deal that he had and he got stuck with them. The new owner would have everything needed to be the new legal owner.
If the current owner is the actual licensed owner of this set, he would need to go through PEP for transfer approval. The set can only be sold to 'PEP' approved kj's per the contract that the GEM lessee would have signed. He cannot just sell and give the paperwork to the buyer, that is a breach of contract. Also, if he bought this set in a deal without PEP knowledge, then the previous owner is in breach as well and those discs 'could' be subject to confiscation - but that I don't know for positive.

I just got off the phone with the owner and he has confirmed that SC is aware of the transfer and will sign off.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:20 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
cousinvinnie wrote:
1) if its an OEM license (Tied to a machine, non transferable) if the machine dies, then so does the license.

2) if retail > transferable to any machine just like the GEM set is also transferable to another "Qualified KJ"

3) Volume licensing such as the non profit are tied to a corporation/business sorry, non transferable. and these are leased licenses I'm sure Pep has special discounts for 501c3 certified non profits.

In your case Gen x you fall under the OEM. no expiry until the machine dies. non transferable.

Also keep in mind, Microsoft licensing Vs. Pep licensing > 1:1 (One machine / One licence)

Developers get the best deal, all MS software unlimited installs on unlimited machines Virtual or real machines. (MSDN Subscription) very similar to Karafun Pro subscription unlimited ipads, macbooks, windows, or android.

Actually, there is a large market for "Refurbished" OEM Windows machines.
So your statement may be less than 100% accurate.
Aerospace/Military/Medical, business class machines are surplussed every day.
The government contract calls for removal of the hard drive, crush it and scrap the rest.
I buy machines every day, insert a hard drive, and use the OEM disk to install the software.
Would you like to buy one? Intel i3, i5, i7 laptops and towers are available, most are Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.
Send me a PM if interested.. Priced right..
Oh, I sold and installed one today, Dell Quad core Intel i5, 3.20 Ghz, 8 gig ram, one TB hard drive, DVDRW, Dual DVI video card. $250.00
So, let me know.. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:42 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 226 times
mrmarog wrote:
cousinvinnie wrote:

That's quite a bit less than he wants..... but you just never know come a little wait!

The owner of these Gems should take what he can while he can!

GEMS must be on torrent sites or somewhere, as i now know at least 9 DJ/KJ that have them, use them, didn't pay for them, and apparently don't CARE about legalities :( :banghead:

With Jim gone at PEP....who really is going to do any enforcement for them now?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:12 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

what your friend should do is send the disks back to pep and have Pep assist in selling them for your friend, they can probably get more money for you.

I already have the complete set and license.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:27 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 242 times
jdmeister ... that's a pretty fair deal for an i5. Do you ever come across something hot rodded like a desktop with a Xeon Platinum 8180 processor? Now something like that for $250 would be like hitting the lottery.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:06 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

jdmeister wrote:
cousinvinnie wrote:

Actually, there is a large market for "Refurbished" OEM Windows machines.
So your statement may be less than 100% accurate.
Aerospace/Military/Medical, business class machines are surplussed every day.
The government contract calls for removal of the hard drive, crush it and scrap the rest.
I buy machines every day, insert a hard drive, and use the OEM disk to install the software.
Would you like to buy one? Intel i3, i5, i7 laptops and towers are available, most are Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.
Send me a PM if interested.. Priced right..
Oh, I sold and installed one today, Dell Quad core Intel i5, 3.20 Ghz, 8 gig ram, one TB hard drive, DVDRW, Dual DVI video card. $250.00
So, let me know.. :)

jdmeister thank you for mentioning this I completely forgot that Microsoft does offer a program for refurbishers (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/refurbishedpcs)

But as far as the OEM PC's are alive and breathing, the OEM license is still valid reguardless of how many times the PC gets sold.

On the other note > Pep has a similar deal with the GEM License Stickers.
The Gem tracks "are only valid tracks if they are installed on to the hard drive or storage device that contains the valid stickers. (If the storage device Dies, the exception is you can request new set of stickers for your new storage device)