KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - would you accept food instead of money for a regular gig? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:20 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
8) The reason I'm so heavily entrenched with this military/ Veteran thing as you call it is, my parents lived as children during the Great Depression. They also worked with everyone else during WWII to defeat the Axis powers. Even before this my grandparents and relations fought the Central powers during WWI. I can trace professional soldiers in my family back to the founding and settling of this country. That is how my ancestors came to America from Scotland, they were sent to the colonies because of rebellion against the crown. See in those days being sent to America was sort of like Australia, sort of a form of punishment. I have always felt that the cost of freedom isn't free someone always has to pay the price.

I'm not really a Libertarian, I'm more of a Pragmatic Progressive like Lincoln, Teddy R., Woodrow Wilson, and FDR. I think that government has a role in making life better for all Americans. We have sort of lost our way with all of these wars, we have troops in countries all over the globe and most of the time we don't even know why they are there. I think it is stupid to spend so much on the military while letting our infrastructure rot away. Why should this country be the only major industrialized nation without single payer health care, we pay twice as much per person as other nations who do have single payer. Most of our political hacks are beholding to the interests that raised the money to put them in office, they are as corrupt as any other country. There was a time when serving the people was a scared trust, sadly those days are gone.

Before we spend money on having a military so large we out spend the next 13 countries put together, we should maybe take care of this country. Before we tell other countries how to run a Democracy maybe we should clean up our government first. If I were President I would do five simple things.

1. Shore up the Social Security and Medicare to make sure it is there for future generations.

2. Make sure that all citizens are covered by a single payer health system, and end special interest influence of big insurers, and big drug manufacturers.

3. Make education available to all either trade school or college, since it is an investment in the future of this country. Of course if you get public funding for education you should have to perform two years of public or military service in payment for education and vocational training.

4. Make sure that all citizens have secure access to food. In a country as rich as ours no one should go to bed hungry. After all we feed the other countries of the world. If we care about the children in other lands shouldn't we care about the children here?

5. Make sure that all persons that want to work can, there is plenty of work to be done just rebuilding this country's infrastructure will take trillions of dollars and will provide work for millions of Americans.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:22 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 242 times
I didn't actually think that you were a libertarian. The comment was sort of made off the cuff, and I probably stepped outside the boundries of what is acceptable in this forum. Having said that, if there were any questions in that regard you've certainly laid them to rest. I think it is safe to say that you are definitely not a libertarian. I do understand your point of view, after all I live in the state of Massachusetts, the most liberal/progressive state in the union. It's a point of view shared by many, not only here in the Bay State, but of people within our generation throughout the country.

As a libertarian (anarcho-capitalist to be exact) my views are the polar opposite of yours. The presidents that you admire, I see as morally reprehensible oppressors who should have been tried for treason and hung by their necks. I often refer to Lincoln, Wilson and FDR (and in that order) as the unholy trinity. So as you can see your views are 180 degrees opposite that of most libertarians, but this is not the place for such matters to be aired, nor do I judge people based on their political views. I guess the main point to my remarks was in expressing one's freedom to choose food or any other service or commodity as compensation without being marginalized and looked down upon for making those choices.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:51 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) You forgot Teddy R, FDR's progressive Republican cousin in you trinity, remember Teddy had the "square deal" and FDR had the "new deal".

P.S. People need a hand up not a hand out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:44 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 242 times
But my friend ... four does not make for a trinity. But no worries, plenty of room for him and other republicans and democrats in the presidential hall of shame. Hand up - hand out ... you say tomato, I say tomato.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:26 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
Well, there are no food stamps today, it's all digital or EBT cards which are not transferable.

So no.

Plus EBT is capped at less than 200 a month per person, well that means such a person would have to starve for months to afford my minimum fee to appear.

If I gig with my band it's a fortune.

If someone with dough wants me on a mic live with my originals on a system and me basically singing only my songs, well it would take a year of a person's stamps to pay me.

Now don't get me wrong, I love barter, one of my tech companies is a barter company, it uses our own digital wallets I created.

I also take Bitcoin, love it, my first BTC trade I took 20 coins @5.00 a coin for a $100 buck download from my network

So I got my Bitcoin wallet to take my appearance fees.

I got my own digital currency wallet.

Taking EBT would be illegal but if the person came up with 2 years of EBT stamps they could turn into cash at a local EBT thief store.

Well I would tell them to see that person, turn the EBT digital bytes into cash and pay me.

So not directly would I take them, but if enough was involved I'd make sure the EBT cardholder knew where to convert the bytes into USD.

Then I'd convert that to BTC.

Or search Spotify - iTunes - Amazon - SoundCloud - ReverbNation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:26 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
Well, there are no food stamps today, it's all digital or EBT cards which are not transferable.

So no.

Plus EBT is capped at less than 200 a month per person, well that means such a person would have to starve for months to afford my minimum fee to appear.

If I gig with my band it's a fortune.

If someone with dough wants me on a mic live with my originals on a system and me basically singing only my songs, well it would take a year of a person's stamps to pay me.

Now don't get me wrong, I love barter, one of my tech companies is a barter company, it uses our own digital wallets I created.

I also take Bitcoin, love it, my first BTC trade I took 20 coins @5.00 a coin for a $100 buck download from my network

So I got my Bitcoin wallet to take my appearance fees.

I got my own digital currency wallet.

Taking EBT would be illegal but if the person came up with 2 years of EBT stamps they could turn into cash at a local EBT thief store.

Well I would tell them to see that person, turn the EBT digital bytes into cash and pay me.

So not directly would I take them, but if enough was involved I'd make sure the EBT cardholder knew where to convert the bytes into USD.

Then I'd convert that to BTC.

Or search Spotify - iTunes - Amazon - SoundCloud - ReverbNation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:46 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
Me, Me, Me, My, My, I, I, I, .... Just wanted to get in on the conversation. Nevermind.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:31 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
"If I gig with my band it's a fortune."
what band?
Those are MIDI tracks you are "singing" over....BLATANT MIDI tracks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:18 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
"If I gig with my band it's a fortune."
what band?
Those are MIDI tracks you are "singing" over....BLATANT MIDI tracks.
BAM! :twisted:

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:06 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
If I were President I would do five simple things.

Then I wish you were president because as long as Trump is president you're never going to see any of those five things become a reality.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:13 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 130 times
Mr. Ranger, you have my vote!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:48 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 38 times
I'd only accept an augmented form of this. I've moved from f/t karaoke to just augmenting my income 2 nights a week - the rest of the time, I'm a restaurant manager. From the perspective of being entrenched in both worlds, I will say that my restaurant pays its live entertainment in cash, and offers performers a tab with a certain amount that they can eat or drink (but mostly drink, let's be real here).

I as a performer would potentially consider accepting a REDUCED rate in exchange for food and drink. Not a drastically reduced rate, and certainly not as my primary form of payment. If you can afford to work for only food and drink, go for it. I'm not offended by your decision. But I personally would not be able to do it, as ultimately the money is the reason I keep these gigs around.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:38 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:
If I were President I would do five simple things.

Then I wish you were president because as long as Trump is president you're never going to see any of those five things become a reality.

8) He's too busy grabbing women where he shouldn't, bragging about it, saying he's sorry, and then saying the tapes were fakes? One thing for sure if he had to tell the truth, it would be a job trying to find out what the truth actually is.