KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - millennials not finishing songs Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:46 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
any thoughts

now i know, good and well that folks of any age and any background will leave a karaoke song unfinished

but i particularly notice it in millennials when they do it. like i don't wanna give them a pass when they do it, but i'll give all others a pass.

anything else millennials do that bug you, karaoke-wise?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:20 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 204 times
Seems that they (millennials) will absolutely NOT look up their own song.

A half-dozen printed books with over 25,000 tracks listed and an on-line, up-to-date version that is searchable by title... but noooooooooooo!

[sarcasm/] I just love the blank, blinking look when they ask: "Do you have (-fill-in-the-blank-)? and I just say "Yes" and go back to running the show.[/sarcasm]

Simple instructions:

1. Look up your song.
2. Tell the Host your name.
3. Tell the Host the artist AND the title of your request.

Is that so hard?

Oh, and it would be nice if they tipped every once in a while, especially if they aren't willing to look up their own song.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:21 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
might be territorial, but i get the opposite.
the BB and older crowd wanting to drive by give a song because that's what the old hosts do.
wanting them to do it garners the "are you (@$%&#!) stupid?" look and throwing up their hands.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:51 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
8) The type of show I ran, Golden Oldies, didn't have too many mills since they go in for the newer music. At the end of my hosting career, hardly anyone used my books anymore. I still brought them to every gig, but either the old timers would bring their own discs, or singers would just tell me the name of the song and artist and I would get it for them, as long as it was before their next turn. I didn't mind giving them the extra service as long as they didn't abuse the situation. Some of my older patrons I knew what they sang and anticipated their next selections. Lucky I have always had a pretty good memory at least better than Trump's. :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:55 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
MtnKaraoke wrote:

A half-dozen printed books with over 25,000 tracks listed and an on-line, up-to-date version that is searchable by title... but noooooooooooo!

[sarcasm/] I just love the blank, blinking look when they ask: "Do you have (-fill-in-the-blank-)? and I just say "Yes" and go back to running the show.[/sarcasm]

Simple instructions:

1. Look up your song.
2. Tell the Host your name.
3. Tell the Host the artist AND the title of your request.

Is that so hard?

Oh, and it would be nice if they tipped every once in a while, especially if they aren't willing to look up their own song.

The constant asking "do you have this song" is very annoying and is greatly abused by younger folks. I have signage requesting them to sign in and fill out their song slip. Even after telling the millennials that every song I have is in my books, they still ask me if I have a certain song without bothering to look for themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:15 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

mrmarog wrote:

The constant asking "do you have this song" is very annoying and is greatly abused by younger folks. I have signage requesting them to sign in and fill out their song slip. Even after telling the millennials that every song I have is in my books, they still ask me if I have a certain song without bothering to look for themselves.[/quote]

8) Maybe we are being too hard on them guys. You have to remember our generation was raised with books and actually know how to read them. The Mills were raised with computers, they twitter and tweet. I bet most of the new generation have never really done a book cover to cover. That is one of the reasons bookstores are another vanishing segment of America.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:21 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
might be territorial, but i get the opposite.
the BB and older crowd wanting to drive by give a song because that's what the old hosts do.
wanting them to do it garners the "are you <span style=font-size:10px><i>(@$%&#!)</i></span> stupid?" look and throwing up their hands.

8) What I have found out about the BB group is that they are very vain. They don't want to admit that they don't wear their glasses and can't go into the book and find their song. They don't turn down their hearing aid and the music is too loud for them. I knew many of my patrons and I knew what they sang so I always put them down without their asking, and had their songs ready. Most of the time I was just relying on my memory, sometimes I had a senior moment but not often.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:20 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 259 times
The main gripe I have is bringing the damn cell phones onstage and never once looking at the audience.
Ultimate "Phoning in a performance"

As to not finishing - How can you expect them to finish a four minute song when their attention span is about ten seconds?
Even at the three minute mark, that is 180 seconds they have had to concentrate on one thing without something new to stimulate them!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:21 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 180 times
last night was the backbreaker for me! i'm so tired of singer's coming up and asking me to show them their list so they can stand there for 1-2 minutes trying to decide what to sing. and when i call them up and don't bring up their list they just stand there and say nothing.

so last night I told them we are gonna start using song slips and they can turn in tickets to sing. no ticket means no song the next rotation. and they will be removed from the list. I'm so tired of wasting a half hour a night not knowing what to sing!

rant over...........

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:14 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
MtnKaraoke wrote:
See IMO you should be thanking todays kj's that do not use books or slips of any kind forcing the singer to ask the kj to look it up for them. Giving those singers the impression that's how it's done everywhere.

Quote:

Agree but don't expect nor rely on tips in any manner so am not disappointed to see an empty jar.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:20 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
If a millennial doesn't finish the song, I just fade it out and call the next person. No problem for me and a bonus for others that really want to sing.

If they ask me if I have a song, I just point to the kiosk and invite them to look... Unless I know person VERY well, then ALL songs are submitted by kiosk... or they are ignored.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:27 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
I just do not get upset about any of these things. I always get asked if I have this song, or that song. I use books. But it doesn't bother me. That is part of the interaction, between a KJ and the patrons. It takes two seconds to look up a song. If they want to look at their list, that is no biggie, either. I don't have a lot of people who don't finish their songs. I see so many complaints about singers, and hated songs, between here and the Facebook groups, and I shake my head, and wonder why those that complain about everything are still in this business. The ONLY things that bother me about this business is set-up and break-down. I have a bad back, and I am in serious pain when I am done. The other thing that bothers me is equipment abuse. Other than that, I don't hate a ton of songs, and the little things that singers do, just don't bother me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:16 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Smoothedge69 wrote:
The ONLY things that bother me about this business is set-up and break-down. I have a bad back, and I am in serious pain when I am done.

On a serious note, I'm sure you are aware I had quite a year on 2015 with 2 major back surgeries and 2 total hip replacements.

I was in the same place you are for almost 13 years at that time, and on some evenings I needed help tearing down. Then I went to Dr Tan Ly (laminectomy and spinal fusion) on Cattleman Road in Sarasota and he gave me my life back. I am 67 and I can do anything I want now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:34 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
The time I will aid someone who is looking for a song is if they say that they could not find it in the book or on the app, because I know then that I don't have it yet. If they haven't looked at a book or I see that they have a smartphone I will either suggest that they look at a book or hand them a flyer explaining how to get the app and use it to submit a request. I absolutely do not take verbal and written requests unless it's something I don't have and they have indicated that they could not find it in the book or on the app. I don't take the time to type it into my player's search box myself. If they don't have a smartphone they can go over to my assistant and tell her what they want to sing and she will put it in for them. That's what she is getting paid to do.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:11 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
If they don't have a smartphone they can go over to my assistant and tell her what they want to sing and she will put it in for them. That's what she is getting paid to do.

You pay someone to help you? You must be making big bucks :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:25 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
I don't have an assistant. I like the singers coming to me. It helps me get to know them, and makes it more of a family atmosphere.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:04 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Come now children... some of you being a little anal?

Who cares if someone asks if you have a song without them having looked first themselves. I have books, and they could also use there Smartphone and I really don't care if they use them or not. I have no problem with them coming up and asking.

You guys (some of you) make an issue out of something so petty. Be nice. Life is to short.

One of my best friends gave me the best advice before she died: "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff".

So, stop being a**holes over the stupidest things.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:37 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Alan, If you must have solid reasons here's my best:

1. It is very rude to be talking to someone while someone is singing within listening distance.

2. Verbally giving me a song while I am doing something else might result in me getting something wrong.

3. Giving me a song without knowing the actual title or artist while I am busy means they need to go to my book and do some homework

4. Repeat 1, 2 & 3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:34 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
The time I will aid someone who is looking for a song is if they say that they could not find it in the book or on the app, because I know then that I don't have it yet. If they haven't looked at a book or I see that they have a smartphone I will either suggest that they look at a book or hand them a flyer explaining how to get the app and use it to submit a request. I absolutely do not take verbal and written requests unless it's something I don't have and they have indicated that they could not find it in the book or on the app. I don't take the time to type it into my player's search box myself. If they don't have a smartphone they can go over to my assistant and tell her what they want to sing and she will put it in for them. That's what she is getting paid to do.
If they could not find it in the book or app maybe it's simply because they were looking for something other than the actual title or thought it was a different artist - I get that a lot and it turns out I do have the song. Often they'll ask for a song by a lyric only because they can't remember the name, quick google search on that lyric will 9 out of 10 times bring up the actual song.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:53 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
I get the opposite side of it. The majority of the songs requested I usually know for a fact that I don't have it. But I remedy that by searching the online stores. I no longer use icroons because the buy songs in Hoster let's me check karaoke.net first and also will pop up Karaoke Version's website if karaoke.net doesn't have the song that I am looking for.
That said, I haven't had any millennials not finish a song and the majority of my singers don't mind using either their smartphones or the kiosk when they don't have smartphones once I decided to institute my must submit either through the kiosk or smartphone rule.