KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - A Tale of Two Karaoke Hosts Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:09 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
Lonman wrote:
No right or wrong way to run a rotation.

8) While the rotation is up to the host Lonnie, still the proof is in the pudding. If patrons won't support the host's show because of how the rotation is handled, then eventually the customers decide who will play at different venues. Part of the reputation of the host and his show rests on how the matter of rotation is addressed. I don't know too many patrons who would wait if they were supposed to be up next, and then had to stand down, 45minutes or longer while a new group sings. This is after the start of the next round had begun.
And I full agree with that. If I saw I was up in three singers (say i'm first in rotation and 3 more at the end) & see a group of 5 walk in and get put up before the round ends making my wait go from 3 to 8, i'd leave as well. I like shows that do the insert method for new singers and have always ran my shows like that. I take periodic surveys every couple years and turns out the majority also prefer that method. If that ever changed, i'd reconsider a new method but so far it's never been an issue.
IMO i've never liked the put all new singers at the end - either as a singer nor as a kj.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:30 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
8) One thing about the rotation is always be consistent whether you are using the strict rotation method, or some type of insert variation. One thing I have to say about the cowboy he is consistent, I don't like the way he runs his rotation, but he is consistent, I have to give him that.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:13 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
"he of course put all of them ahead of me and my wife"
there is your problem.

8) I'm not talking about inserting his people and dove tailing into the existing rotation Paradigm, this is a block of 9 people shoved ahead of patrons that have been waiting , buying, and supporting the venue all night. I'm not the only one who has a problem with this method of handling a rotation. It is for this very reason that many patrons who have gone to his show say, that they will never go again.

that was actually my point, he played favorites.
there's the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:46 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Lonman wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:
Lonman wrote:
No right or wrong way to run a rotation.

8) While the rotation is up to the host Lonnie, still the proof is in the pudding. If patrons won't support the host's show because of how the rotation is handled, then eventually the customers decide who will play at different venues. Part of the reputation of the host and his show rests on how the matter of rotation is addressed. I don't know too many patrons who would wait if they were supposed to be up next, and then had to stand down, 45minutes or longer while a new group sings. This is after the start of the next round had begun.
And I full agree with that. If I saw I was up in three singers (say i'm first in rotation and 3 more at the end) & see a group of 5 walk in and get put up before the round ends making my wait go from 3 to 8, i'd leave as well. I like shows that do the insert method for new singers and have always ran my shows like that. I take periodic surveys every couple years and turns out the majority also prefer that method. If that ever changed, i'd reconsider a new method but so far it's never been an issue.
IMO i've never liked the put all new singers at the end - either as a singer nor as a kj.

I would leave if I got there and I put in a song well before the rotation started again and had to wait for the start of the next rotation, especially if the host played DJ music between the rotations. Well I would give the host a what the heck, I put in a request well before the rotation ended. I expect to be called up to sing in the rotation that I put my request in period.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:54 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

The key thing is that that is how I would react if there is some indication of the start of a new rotation. If there's no announcement or playing of DJ music between rotations, I would probably never know when the rotation started or ended.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:47 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

I don't think i've made an announcement of a rotation starting over in 15 years. If I have an unusually long wait time, I will make that announcement to be patient.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:13 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
...I put in a request well before the rotation ended. I expect to be called up to sing in the rotation that I put my request in period.

my only answer to this is put yourself as the first singer in the rotation.
how would you feel if every time you got within 5 places of singing, more new people got put in front of you because they put in a song before the end of the rotation and expect to be called up in that rotation. you would keep waiting and waiting.
the other way, you (who got there early) get back up to sing and the others get mixed into the next rotation.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:32 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I would accept it as being part of the karaoke experience. Being robbed of the rightfully spot in the rotation is not a fair rotation. I guess anyone is playing favorites anyway you run the rotation, I just prefer a rotation where it is first come first serve period. Any other rotation is on my opinion unfair and unprofessional.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:44 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) Back at the ranch aka the post, I'm getting things ready for the second contestant of our karaoke competition. Another cowboy who will be playing on the Saturday night we have our rib dinner. Everything seems to be going well, and members think it is a good idea that everyone has a say in who the next host or hosts are. The reason I said hosts is because it might work out where we will alternate the hosts every other Saturday once we narrow it down to two.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:10 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) Well Saturday went well all of the rib dinners were sold we had 23 singers on the list. All in all Cowboy 2 did better than our original host. There were just a few minor things that needed to be adjusted and he told me they would be handled. The members gave me positive feedback on his performance. He is going to be a finalist for sure, I just don't know if we are going to use him every week or every other week. We still don't have a contestant for this week, so I will have to do that show, and donate my time, since I don't want a conflict of interest issue, and I want it plain I'm not fishing for the job on a regular basis. The post Halloween Party will be handled by a different host and then we will do the scoring.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:49 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
The key thing is that that is how I would react if there is some indication of the start of a new rotation. If there's no announcement or playing of DJ music between rotations, I would probably never know when the rotation started or ended.

My singers know exactly when I start and when I’ll end the rotation. It’s on two tv screens left & right. Five singers listed for all to see. Just keep scrolling ‘till the end of the list, then start again. 8)
Attachment:
Rotation.png
Rotation.png [ 470.41 KiB | Viewed 31324 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:03 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Brian A wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

My singers know exactly when I start and when I’ll end the rotation. It’s on two tv screens left & right. Five singers listed for all to see. Just keep scrolling ‘till the end of the list, then start again. 8)
Attachment:
Rotation.png

So if I came in and submitted my request to sing anywhere during the 2nd rotation, I would expect to see my name added just below Jerry's in the 2nd rotation or I would feel slighted and probably leave before I even got to sing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:56 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Brian A wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

Attachment:
Rotation.png

So if I came in and submitted my request to sing anywhere during the 2nd rotation, I would expect to see my name added just below Jerry's in the 2nd rotation or I would feel slighted and probably leave before I even got to sing.

no right or wrong, just different.
if i saw you get put just below Jerry and i was Dallas (at the top of the rotation and at the top of 3rd rotation), i would leave. my spot was just taken by you and i was there earlier.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:31 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
Brian A wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

Attachment:
Rotation.png

Yes and No. Let’s say singer # 16 is Vincent above 17 Paula to 20 Jerry. Five singers showing). No indication I will start the 3rd round yet. If you give me your slip in the time frame #16 to 20 (Jerry), yes, you will be # 21. If you give me your slip and I already typed “3rd Rotation Starts” & already showing on the screen, you will be inserted within the 3rd rotation - approx. 20 to 25 min.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:09 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

And then I would leave if I wasn't after Jerry in the rotation that I put my name and song in. Maybe I would leave if I come in and the third rotation hasn't started yet you have the start of the third rotation listed after Jerry and I know for certain that I put my name in before he sang without even singing my song and fail to let you know that I left so that you look like an assignment when you call me up and I don't show.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:39 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
Brian A wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

Attachment:
Rotation.png

no right or wrong, just different.
if i saw you get put just below Jerry and i was Dallas (at the top of the rotation and at the top of 3rd rotation), i would leave. my spot was just taken by you and i was there earlier.

The way I look at it Dallas has already had a turn and if he is a regular Karaoke goer then he would know that there's a chance for the first rotation not to end because why should I see that you were the first singer in the rotation and I have to see you sing what I consider a second or third song before I get one in . That my friend is just not fair and not the way that I will ever run my show. I stick with a first come first serve and the new singer gets placed at the bottom of the rotation that he puts his first song in whether he puts it in while the second person in the rotation is singing or if he hands it in while the next to last singer in the rotation is singing. As long as I have time to enter it into the computer before the last person in the rotation finishes singing that is the rotation that he gets put in. I don't care if I have so many singers that I don't get a second rotation in, I am sure as hell going to make sure that a new singer a chance to sing and if it ticks off a singer who has sung earlier in the night so be it. If I was aware that I might only get one song in and that the host is trying their best to get as many singers as he has time to get up for the night, I would stay to sing my song, but if I see that people are going to definitely have a turn before me that already had a turn, I will either leave or wait until I sing my song to even buy my first drink. Why should I waste my money on a place that doesn't at least try to play fair.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:23 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
And then I would leave if I wasn't after Jerry in the rotation that I put my name and song in. Maybe I would leave if I come in and the third rotation hasn't started yet you have the start of the third rotation listed after Jerry and I know for certain that I put my name in before he sang without even singing my song and fail to let you know that I left so that you look like an assignment when you call me up and I don't show.
Bye Felicia :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:04 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) Really there are only two ways to do a rotation. The first is what I call a strict rotation the way that Danny seems to run his show and by the way I do it also. The second is some form of insertion method, both have the strengths and weakness's. I use the first because It seems to get the fewest complaints over the years. I keep a list and also have a board that all of the patrons can see, and know when they will be next. On a very busy night my regular patrons realize that they might only sing two times, on a slow night they could do 4 or more depending how it goes. Usually I refrain from putting myself in the rotation once I achieve 8 singers, unless I'm asked to help out someone who wants to do a duet. In the past most of my shows required little singing from me, which suits me, since I would rather focus on running my equipment and keep the show moving.

Last edited by The Lone Ranger on Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:08 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

The way I look at it Dallas has already had a turn and if he is a regular Karaoke goer then he would know that there's a chance for the first rotation not to end because why should I see that you were the first singer in the rotation and I have to see you sing what I consider a second or third song before I get one in .

if Jerry waited 45 minutes for that first song and you wait 3 minutes, you believe that is fair?
Dallas has been there since the beginning of the show, you waltz right in and sing right away and you consider that fair?
inserting you 6 singers down doesn't seem more fair? you're not going to not sing, you just don't get the preferential treatment you are describing.
Dallas had to wait to sing, Jerry had to wait to sing, you do not have to wait.
or
Dallas had to wait to sing, Jerry had to wait to sing, you have to wait to sing.
the second seems more fair to everybody.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:28 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Lone, you forgot the third or fourth ways to do it. The third has the Host giving preference to a good looking girl that they want to impress or a guy that slips the host a twenty dollar bill each time he wants to sing next or the style where the host sings every other song cause he feels that it's his showcase and somehow or other he is going to get discovered by the next big band to hit America. As I said I run mine with the emphasis on giving everyone a fair chance to sing. I prefer to get new singers into the present rotation because everyone who sang in the present rotation has already had a turn to sing one or more songs. I will not capable a rotation because again it makes a possible new singer more likely to put a song in than walk out the door because they feel like they're being treated respectfully.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next