KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - A Tale of Two Karaoke Hosts Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:06 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
8) It has come to me that hiring a new host for Saturday might not be in the best interests of the Post or the host. I will know more when I talk with the Finance Officer on Monday. If we are still losing money then paying a new host will be difficult. The simple solution to everything would be for me to dust off the speakers, and donate my time to the post, for Saturdays. It would have to be on a volunteer basis, since to do anything else would be seen as a conflict of interest. This would only be for a short time 6 months or less until we can work out the merger with the other American Legion. To hire any new host would be unfair since they would only have a short window to work, and I don't know if the new joint venture would carry them over. I'll update this when I have more information.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:50 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 12 times
I've done American Legion, Elks, VFW, and many others over the past 20 years. What I found is that most Karaoke spots do a very poor job advertising the venue. You can't always expect that a really good karaoke host is going to bring lots of people, sometimes they do, sometimes not if they haven't worked for a while. I've seen karaoke jobs go to really bad karaoke mom and pop operations, using poor portable equipment simply because they knew the person hiring. What I do know is that a karaoke host that brings in super equipment, makes the singers sound great, keeps the people happy, is worth keeping because they seemed to be few and far between these days.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:13 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) [quote="Capt Frank"]I've done American Legion, Elks, VFW, and many others over the past 20 years. What I found is that most Karaoke spots do a very poor job advertising the venue. You can't always expect that a really good karaoke host is going to bring lots of people, sometimes they do, sometimes not if they haven't worked for a while. I've seen karaoke jobs go to really bad karaoke mom and pop operations, using poor portable equipment simply because they knew the person hiring. What I do know is that a karaoke host that brings in super equipment, makes the singers sound great, keeps the people happy, is worth keeping because they seemed to be few and far between these days.[/quote

8) I came upon an a thought tonight

Why don't I hold a competition, let all of the hosts compete I pay them all for one night, let the patrons vote and the best host wins!

Last edited by The Lone Ranger on Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:29 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
8)
Capt Frank wrote:
I've done American Legion, Elks, VFW, and many others over the past 20 years. What I found is that most Karaoke spots do a very poor job advertising the venue. You can't always expect that a really good karaoke host is going to bring lots of people, sometimes they do, sometimes not if they haven't worked for a while. I've seen karaoke jobs go to really bad karaoke mom and pop operations, using poor portable equipment simply because they knew the person hiring. What I do know is that a karaoke host that brings in super equipment, makes the singers sound great, keeps the people happy, is worth keeping because they seemed to be few and far between these days.

I came upon a thought tonight

Why don't I hold a competition, let all of the hosts compete I pay them all for one night, let the patrons vote and the best host wins!

P.S. I love all hosts it is a very difficult and non praise worthy job. I think I would like to see which host shoots the apple of the head of a small boy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:39 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) After thinking about this overnight I'm sure that letting the hosts compete for the Saturday gig would be the best way to go. I already have 3 hosts that want the job. Why should the selection be just up to me? Shouldn't the members have a chance to choose who they want to be the host? It will work a lot better I think than me selecting a host and then him not working out. This gives all hosts a chance to display their talents. I'm going to make a motion at the E board meeting that we hold a competition for the job, let each host that wants the gig play one Saturday and then poll our members about who they want. If nothing else with all these different hosts bringing in their followings, we will get more foot traffic in here, and just maybe some new members.

P.S. I talked with the Finance Officer on Monday and we made a profit last month. Which was great news, we took a 1500.00 loss In August and turned it into a 2100.00 plus in September. Too bad cowboy couldn't stick around he helped turn things around, but a man has to do what a man has to do.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:16 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
8) After thinking about this overnight I'm sure that letting the hosts compete for the Saturday gig would be the best way to go. I already have 3 hosts that want the job.

Great idea, LoneR. I remember years back, I answered an email from a venue looking for KJs. 3 weeks later I got a call from the manager to come in Saturday. I learned I’m the 4th kj vying for the job. ‘haven’t started yet and I was hired on the spot. He told me he made up his mind just by looking at my rig set-up. "First impression is the last impression". 8)

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:53 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Brian A wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:
8) After thinking about this overnight I'm sure that letting the hosts compete for the Saturday gig would be the best way to go. I already have 3 hosts that want the job.

Great idea, LoneR. I remember years back, I answered an email from a venue looking for KJs. 3 weeks later I got a call from the manager to come in Saturday. I learned I’m the 4th kj vying for the job. ‘haven’t started yet and I was hired on the spot. He told me he made up his mind just by looking at my rig set-up. "First impression is the last impression". 8)

8) Sorry Brian I miss read your post this was years ago not a new job, right?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:10 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
8) Sorry Brian I miss read your post this was years ago not a new job, right?

Correct. Those were the days when I was young and can easily load & tear-down my equipment from gig to gig. I’m old now so I’m here in this venue to stay put.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:36 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) I can still set it up and pull it down, but it's a pain in the backside, and of course it takes a little longer. Somebody picked up the cowboy, so now I know he had another job lined up before he quit us. From what I understand he is getting twice what we paid him, I just hope he has twice the patrons he produced for us. One thing about him he was always quite a salesman, I just happened to be a hard sell.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:17 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
8)I just hope he has twice the patrons he produced for us.

or the venue has twice the patrons for him to entertain and keep there longer.
relying on the host to bring all the people doesn't make sense.
how does he do that?....steal from other bars.
when he goes elsewhere on another night, where does he get them from?....
your bar.
if people don't want to go to the bar as it is, there is a problem with the bar.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:09 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:

your bar.
if people don't want to go to the bar as it is, there is a problem with the bar.

8) It is not a matter of stealing patrons from any place Paradigm. It is a matter of not systematically driving away the customer base that kept you in business for years. My struggle as Second Vice of the Post has been to try an convince the BB's to come back and give us a second look. To a certain extent my plan is working, since we have changed our emphasis from mills back to BB's things have turned around. In just one month we have turned a loss into a surplus. Part of the credit for that improvement would have gone to the cowboy, but he decided to jump ship rather than wait for the results to come in. What gets me is we were patient with this host for over a year, gave him every break in the book. He was a spoiled child that couldn't ride things out for one month to see if things improved. Everything had to be his way and for the most part other's indulged him because they were afraid of losing him.

I went to cowboy's new venue last night, he is not going to get spoiled there. I know this commander at the local VFW he is a very hard man to work for. The VFW has a good host that works for the post on Wednesday, but even he can't pack the house. The man the VFW used on Friday is good and got paid half what the Wednesday host is getting, and sometimes his crowd was even bigger. After working there years the VFW let the Friday host go. Guess who is going to be the first to compete for the now open Saturday of ours, yes the Friday host the VFW just let go. He has a following and should be a good first contestant. I firmly believe if we stick to our new business model, and still work on the merger, between these two plans we can keep at least one post open in our general area. At least that is my long term goal, I just have to take it one day at a time, and play the long game.

P.S. It might be unfair Paradigm to expect the host to bring in a crowd of his own, but the cowboy bragged for a year that he had a huge following and they would come to the post. It never really happened. He said he could get any song a person wanted to sing. I put him to the test and gave him some songs, I came to him several times, and finally he admitted that he couldn't get them. Really, couldn't get them or just wouldn't get them? I took it personally since he managed to get other requested songs for his friends. Finally I told him that our target market is BB's, he told me that he had the same access to that group, and went out for a week calling them up and promoting his show. Guess what when Saturday came around it was the usual little crowd of his, not any of the BB's. It got to the point where if his mouth was moving, I knew nothing else would be. All the time he was at our venue he wanted to change things to suit himself. He couldn't be bothered with the old setup location where every other host had played. No he had to sit up his own special place so close to the bar that the sound drove out some of our patrons. I know now why he did this first he was forcing some of our older customers to leave, second his new location made him the center of attention. It was always about him never what was best for the venue, he worked for.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:20 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
your bar.

Not necessarily. I mean, where I end up usually depends on the presence of some kind of entertainment--karaoke, trivia, a band, something. Me driving twenty minutes out of my way on an off night isn't taking a patron from my usual bar--that bar is only my regular spot because it's close, the people are nice, and there is karaoke twice a week.

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

Now that is definitely true. Karaoke night successes depend on a complicated ecosystem.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:08 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

NoShameKaraoke wrote:

Now that is definitely true. Karaoke night successes depend on a complicated ecosystem.

8) Which is true a very complicated and delicate ecosystem. One that was disrupted by trying to change the core support base of BB's to mills. Not only change it but try to discourage the BB's totally from coming in. This policy was followed for over two years, and as a result it almost caused the closing of karaoke at our post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:51 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:

your bar.

8) So the problem is the post not the host right Paradigm? Just to show cowboy that there was no hard feelings I was there for his first show at the new gig. It was my anniversary, I had taken my wife to an early dinner, we stopped back by the VFW for drinks and karaoke. We came in with friends we met in the parking lot the room including us had less than 12 people. It was still early before 5 o'clock so I thought things will pickup. We had drinks since we had already gone out for dinner, show began we got through the first rotation in 45 minutes. Around 7 o'clock most of the regulars had left, me and my wife decided to do one more song we had already done 2. I just about fell out of my chair, right after dinner was served the cowboys mills started to show up, just like they had at our post for a year. Eventually he had a table of about 9 of his usual supporters, he of course put all of them ahead of me and my wife. We sang our song and we left just to be polite. When we were going out the door we noticed the only people left was cowboy's camp followers, the crowd that tries to put a soda on a credit card. You know the high rollers.

The commander of this post is also a highway patrol officer still active. He is not somebody you want to disappoint, I just wonder if cowboy made it past the first night? There is an old saying in the German army, "victory has a hundred fathers defeat is an orphan". I couldn't get over how much the cowboys style was still the same. I noticed right away he had installed his equipment in a similar manner to our post. He probably made the same big promises, he blows a mighty wind but nothing comes out of the horn. A host I have known for a long time was let go by the VFW to let cowboy in. This guy was playing for half of what cowboy is getting, and he had a much bigger crowd, go figure? Naturally when I found out this other host was available I hired him to do the first Saturday of our host contest, which starts tonight. I will let you know how that goes.

P.S. One thing for sure I will find out if it is the host or the post soon!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:09 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) Last night was the first night of the competition. We had a decent crowd considering the change in hosts. Dinners were sold and we had an up tick in BB's. Everyone seem to like the equipment back at it's old place. I'll just have to see how next week goes, another new host who just happens to be a different cowboy. Sure are a lot of cowboy hosts?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:09 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
"he of course put all of them ahead of me and my wife"
there is your problem.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:01 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
"he of course put all of them ahead of me and my wife"
there is your problem.

8) I'm not talking about inserting his people and dove tailing into the existing rotation Paradigm, this is a block of 9 people shoved ahead of patrons that have been waiting , buying, and supporting the venue all night. I'm not the only one who has a problem with this method of handling a rotation. It is for this very reason that many patrons who have gone to his show say, that they will never go again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:02 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
I totally agree with Lone Ranger. The right way to run a rotation is first come first serve. If you insert new singers into the middle of a rotation and everyone else has been there all night you as a host is not being fair or professional. New singers should always go to the end of the rotation. At least that's my rule. Another rule I have is whatever rotation you put your first song in is the rotation that you will sing in. So if you have been there all night and you are just getting the nerve up to sing and put your song in during the third rotation, you can expect to sing before the first singer of the night's next turn. Same goes for the new singer that just got there. I won't penalize anyone who is coming in late in the off chance that they just got off work and couldn't make it there sooner. I know that this might help out the bar hopper but if they come in and put their song in near the start of the rotation what's the real harm seeing that the rotation might be 15 singers long.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:49 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
No right or wrong way to run a rotation.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:11 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Lonman wrote:
No right or wrong way to run a rotation.

8) While the rotation is up to the host Lonnie, still the proof is in the pudding. If patrons won't support the host's show because of how the rotation is handled, then eventually the customers decide who will play at different venues. Part of the reputation of the host and his show rests on how the matter of rotation is addressed. I don't know too many patrons who would wait if they were supposed to be up next, and then had to stand down, 45minutes or longer while a new group sings. This is after the start of the next round had begun.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next