KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - New SC Discs Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: New SC Discs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:31 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 108 times
If 95% of the competition is getting their songs for free; then I say: "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em". Don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:34 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
jdmeister wrote:
I met them all in prison..

That was worth the wait. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:25 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Karaoke Croaker wrote:
If 95% of the competition is getting their songs for free; then I say: "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em". Don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

So, does that mean you've gone over to the dark side? Are you now, or will you be, using pirated tracks?

Look, I know it's frustrating. But it's not the size of your library that makes a good karaoke host. Most of the KJ's in my area are pirates with 300,000 songs. And they all suck as karaoke hosts.

I have only 15,000 songs and I'm packing them in, even though I don't have every song that they want to sing. I try to keep up with the latest releases and will buy songs requested by customers.

Like I said, if you're good, and people like you, they're going to come to your shows regardless. If you feel you need to obtain a hard drive consisting of a hundred thousand or more songs in order to compete, you must feel that you're not a very good host.

Remember, it's not the size that matters.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:41 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
Alan B wrote:
Karaoke Croaker wrote:

Like I said, if you're good, and people like you, they're going to come to your shows regardless. If you feel you need to obtain a hard drive consisting of a hundred thousand or more songs in order to compete, you must feel that you're not a very good host.

but what if you're good, and people like you AND you have 300,000 songs?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:47 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Let's put this to the test:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37695

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:52 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
Alan B wrote:
Karaoke Croaker wrote:

but what if you're good, and people like you AND you have 300,000 songs?
I have rarely seen that happen. It's never the "whole" package. Usually, what sets them apart is their equipment. After all, if they're too cheap to buy their music, they're not going to spend thousands of dollars for speakers, amps, mixers and any other "pro" equipment. Remember, they get their stuff for free or very little cost. I have never seen a pirate with a quality set up.

Last edited by Alan B on Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:32 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
Alan B wrote:
I have rarely seen that happen. It's never the "whole" package. Usually, what sets them apart is their equipment. After all, if they're too cheap to buy their music, they're not going to spend thousands of dollars for speakers, amps, mixers and any other "pro" equipment. Remember, they get their stuff for free or very little cost. I have never seen a pirate with a quality set up.

8) The "whole package" to me Alan is a very complex bundle. It is not only made up of pro equipment, and a good library, but also all of the skills required to make a successful karaoke service business. You have to wear so many hats and you have to improvise so much it is almost as complex as "Game of Thrones". It is like Little Finger was stating " fight the battle everywhere, imagine every possible scenario, every one is your friend everyone is your enemy, and you will never be surprised". Of course I'm watering down that quite a bit, he didn't follow his own advice, he was caught by surprise.

I have seen hosts I suspect of being pirates, since it's not my business to monitor shows, or to act as an agent for PEP,there is little reason for me to speculate if they are indeed pirates. They do have quality equipment since they bought it on the cheap, from hosts that could no longer make it in the business. I have sold off a great deal of my excess equipment since I retired, I only have my two rigs now and two sets of powered speakers. I had accumulated quite an inventory of passive speakers and amps etc.etc. etc. I really didn't check out who was buying it as long as they had the cash. Some was sold to bands and the rest to KJ hosts. I retained just enough equipment to do a show and of course my library which was and is my hobby before I started hosting.

Early on since I was a mobile host playing at a different places on a weekly basis, I had to compromise as far as equipment was concerned. I went for the pocket battleship type of rig, it packed a punch but was easy to transport. If I had been like Brian or Lonnie in a fixed position every night, I could have got more fancy. It must have worked since I was always busy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:47 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 26 times
I do not believe that one must turn to the dark side in order to compete, I have collected around 2000 discs over the last decade, and have a reasonable selection, but its true that loads of operators use hard drives that are full of downloaded tracks, some have been bitten by the conscious bug and started buying their new stuff from download websites, but doesn't account for all the old stuff which is all downloaded for free.

I tend to find a core set of staple songs and then keeping up with chart/latest releases has served my singers well, and when I get the odd request I go about finding it from SBI/Karaoke Version. With free wifi and mobile data being so prevalent nowadays its even possible to do this whilst hosting.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:44 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) My question is to some extent even though a host has not turned to the dark side, aren't there some elements of every library now that could at least be considered dark side material? Most standards that hosts apply to the content of their library is they bought it in good faith, and if the producer of the material bent the rules, it is on the producers not the purchasers of the product, as far as legal responsibility is concerned. That unless they are told to stop using the material they will continue to use it. That goes also for any no fly content.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:26 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 26 times
Well I tend to think that if you've bought your library from a reputable retailer in good faith then you've done what you can really, it's not like buying a hard drive full of songs off eBay where you know its illegal. And its not like going to China and purchasing a disc you know well would be counterfeit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:47 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

GenerationX wrote:
Well I tend to think that if you've bought your library from a reputable retailer in good faith then you've done what you can really, it's not like buying a hard drive full of songs off eBay where you know its illegal. And its not like going to China and purchasing a disc you know well would be counterfeit.

8) The point is that you can never be sure absolutely that your library is 100% legal, you do your best to stay in the lines, but it is quite a task for even 18,000 to 20,000 track library. You never can be totally certain, that is why a blanket operator's license would be an ideal way to cover every host, of course this will never happen. Especially since it would require a central licensing agency, and that would take an act of Congress.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:26 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 130 times
I say that by definition, the cost of the licensing is supposed to be included in the sale price of the product, as is any other overhead, and plus the amount that creates the profit margin. Certainly most past manufacturers (long past in most cases) charged enough that one could only expect so. This is more than just an assumption, it's a business requirement and obligation on the seller's part.

So in owning legally purchased, original manufacturer cdg's, I've paid my share of the copyright holders' necessary fees. The ultimate collectors and custodians of that money were the manufacturers, and if they didn't pass on the amounts they should have, then they owe artists and copyright holders back pay. I do not owe it, because I put in the required money when I made the purchase in good faith.

And as some manufacturers did not pay the licensing fees, they shifted that money to their own profit margins. Not only were they illegal, they were just plain stupid to have embraced a non-sustainable business model. They should have charged enough for their discs in the first place to cover the true overhead, and all that included, while earning themselves a reasonable if slightly smaller profit. Greed is its own undoing.

But none of that makes me feel less than 100% legal as a host using those discs, because I paid full retail price and bought only genuine manufacturers discs (in so far as I can tell). And as to which ones did and didn't pay their licensing fees, I have no objective way to tell.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:01 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 259 times
Please stop posting in this thread unless you have proof positive that SC has actually released new disks.

I use this thread as my "Hell has Frozen Over" barometer and I'm getting tired of checking new posts only to find that Hell is still happily burning right along. 8>)))

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:08 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
dsm2000 wrote:
Please stop posting in this thread unless you have proof positive that SC has actually released new disks.

I use this thread as my "Hell has Frozen Over" barometer and I'm getting tired of checking new posts only to find that Hell is still happily burning right along. 8>)))

Easy peasy..

Done.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2