KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Mobile kiosk or fixed location kiosk. Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:14 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
I use SongbookDB with Hoster to accept requests. For the last three months, I have been using a tablet for a mobile kiosk so that I can take it with me to collect requests from people who don't have smartphones. I recently picked up a gig where I am basically in an open DJ booth that is going to prevent myself from going into the audience. there is plenty of room on the counter to set up a fixed kiosk in the place of the mobile kiosk.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:40 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
I quit using the kiosk portion - never got used. But it was in a fixed location right by my area. Books are still the number one way to look up songs, with asking the kj then online phone apps being next.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:05 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
I actually have 3 kiosks for SongbookDB, and all three are mobile.

I use 3 old Motorola Xoom tablets. They are bulky, slow and 1st generation Android tablets. This is on purpose, as no one would want to steal them, lol. I paid about $50 each for working ones.

From there, I bought 3 stands, 2 of which are used on a table and are a bit flimsy $35/each. One is similar to a round base mic stand, better made, and was around $75

All in all, I like the kiosks... while we enjoy a lot of regulars, some of them just don't want to deal with the app on their phones... even with all the extra features as opposed to the kiosks.

I will get a few more in the future, but for now, I'm good :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:33 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
i use 2 stationary kiosks. old weak laptops that (as mentioned above) nobody would want to take, but they can run one website just as fast as anything new. i'm not worried about them walking so i spread them if i can to opposite sides of the room. they get used quite often, but more people get the app every day.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:02 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 190 times
Considering an average songbook would cost around $50-$60.00 per book, and also factoring the rugged use of kiosks in a karaoke environment, I went with the 19" Tangent medix touch screen all in one pc's for kiosk use, they are i7 processor with upto 16gb memory and run any kiosk karaoke software perfect in wired or wireless environments.

They also have 3 batteries giving over 10hrs run time.

I managed to get a great deal on 20 of these and recommend them to anyone using kiosks for just under $75 each.
Attachment:
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG [ 952.68 KiB | Viewed 29257 times ]

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:45 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I think that I may have figured it out. For the first week, I will have the singers go up to my roommate where she is sitting and use some of the money to pick up a mic stand that has a tablet holder on the top of it for future use. Once my roommate is fully recovered from her surgeries, they did her right knee and are waiting for it to fully heal before doing her left knee. Once she is fully recovered from that I will get my mobile kiosk back. She will probably have to show the singers who don't have smartphones how to use the kiosk.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:00 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

So I ran my first show at the new venue. I ended up using my old laptop that I was using before I switched to Hoster because the one that I am using now has the right specs to run Hoster and the old one wasn't powerful enough. I can actually use the old laptop as a backup player since it has Siglos on it and Siglos will play the Hoster files. So maybe I won't use the tablet after all. I have to copy over new songs that I got yesterday onto my external hard drive that I have to use with the old laptop because the internal one is too small. I used up the battery on the tablet at a show earlier in the day.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:37 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
i use 2 stationary kiosks. old weak laptops that (as mentioned above) nobody would want to take, but they can run one website just as fast as anything new. i'm not worried about them walking so i spread them if i can to opposite sides of the room. they get used quite often, but more people get the app every day.

How are you protecting the laptops from people spilling beer and such? I have some older laptops, and might be interested in putting those into service as well in the future.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:20 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Right now my roommate is operating the kiosk.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:50 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
Toastedmuffin wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

How are you protecting the laptops from people spilling beer and such? I have some older laptops, and might be interested in putting those into service as well in the future.

i'm not. in about 4 years not one spill. i was surprised by that honestly. couldn't get 4 hours without a spill when i had books at the tables. people oddly just seem to be more careful when it's a laptop and not a plastic covered book.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:43 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
i'm not. in about 4 years not one spill. i was surprised by that honestly. couldn't get 4 hours without a spill when i had books at the tables. people oddly just seem to be more careful when it's a laptop and not a plastic covered book.

I had 1 laptop suffer a watery death (it was actually Budweiser I understand) before I switched the configuration that prevented any kind of spill from landing on a computer.

Other customers of mine use "toughbooks" that have sealed keyboards (they keep covered anyway) and they use the built in touchscreens.