KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Contiki Tours Host Priority Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:45 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
We've had "best rotation" discussions ever since I joined this site, and it seems to me we've never found the perfect solution. I'm beginning to think the elusive "perfect rotation" is a myth... and was probably made up by the Loch Ness Monster, or your local Sasquatch.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:01 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
Earl wrote:
We've had "best rotation" discussions ever since I joined this site, and it seems to me we've never found the perfect solution. I'm beginning to think the elusive "perfect rotation" is a myth... and was probably made up by the Loch Ness Monster, or your local Sasquatch.

8) It's hard to be perfect in an imperfect world Earl. All have made mistakes, all have fallen short of perfection, it's just the nature of things. If you are a ball player you try to bat your average, you aren't going to swing for the fences every time, if you do the chances are greater you are going to strike out. It is important when running a show to be as consistent as possible and give quality service to all, that is how you stay in business, for the long haul.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:10 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
For me the best rotation is simply being extremely efficient in getting singers on and off the stage as quickly as possible. When you do this everyone can easily see you are doing everything you can to get through the rotation, and you can get away with a lot more.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:26 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 130 times
bazinga wrote:
The way I see it is the bottom of the rotation is above the current singer. If you place the new singer before the current singer then the new singer will have to wait the entire rotation before singing. Is that what you mean by being placed at the bottom of the rotation?
That's how I see it and how I do it, although I don't think I ever stated it as clearly as you bazinga :)

But yeah, if by "bottom" we mean the point furthest away, and the longest wait time among all singers, I agree that's where the newest singer goes.

When I write a name at the actual bottom of my list, it doesn't necessarily mean they are going to sing right after the name on the line above them. It does when and only when I'm keeping the current rotation open for more signups, which is only during the first rotation as I'm getting all the first-time sign-ups. I draw a hyphenated line across the page after the name of the singer who will do the last song in the current rotation, and when I hit that line I start over with Singer 1 regardless of the new names written under that line -- I get to them only in the following rotation. If I already have 14 singers in my queue, the new sign-up is going to hear all 14 of their songs before his turn. Nothing could be more logical.

I treat all the singers who have already sung as automatically signed up for another song, whether they've handed me the next song slip yet or not. They keep their place in the rotation, relative to each other, all night. So if I'm on Singer 12 of 14, that means Singer 1 has already waited thru 11 songs, and has 2 more to wait thru. If a Singer 15 signs up while Singer 12 is singing, I'm not gonna bump Singer 1 down, his spot two songs away was already guaranteed. Singer 1 still follows Singer 14, and Singer 15 has to wait, not for the entire go-round, but until after Singer 11. Why Singer 11? Because that's the last singer to finish a song before Singer 15 joined the list. That really makes Singer 15 to be Singer 11B, which is how I notate to keep it simple. Now Singer 11B owns his spot between Singers 11 and 12, and keeps it the rest of the night.