KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - 2017 Fav/Recommended karaoke programs? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:04 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 2 times
Hiya !

Okay so I have been reading on here and the web prior to posting, but wanted to ask a question a lil bit differently -

How about you guys list for us current newbies -
your FAVORITE and Most used/Reliable Karaoke programs?

Like - not from old reviews or sales popularity, but from your own experiences with them? I have noticed that some of the stuff I'm reading on the web is outdated and full of dead links, that just complicates a buying decision. I think any of us who are trying to sort through what's available are probably having the same problems trying to find something that will be a good safe investment.

I'm talking what you're using RIGHT NOW in 2017?

I'm talking currently supported karaoke software and databases etc

I am also interested in how you are hooking to house systems/tv-monitors and what is needed hardware/software to do that. I get it that there are MANY different situations and scenarios depending on what's available in any given establishment, but this is what I need to know.

I realize this is a loaded question(s), so forgive me if I post in the wrong place - I could post it in all the relevant places but I didn't want to do a multiple post lol, so I threw it all in a nutshell. I realize this doesn't effectively make answers easy, but I hoped it would get the ball rolling and maybe we could get an outline of what a person just starting out needs? If that is somewhere on here and updated to TODAY - June 28, 2017 -- forgive me for missing it.

I'm a seasoned musician that has traveled the country playing and prior to that I owned and ran several PA systems through out the years and I'm trying to get started now with Karaoke (kinda in a hurry my first gig is August 10th)! (a friends bday party at a bar that I got kinda pushed into, but nothing like a kick in the butt to immediately motivate you - ha!)- so I don't have a lotta time for playing around with a bunch of programs, although I did download and try a few of the free ones offered so I could get an idea - BUT I found them all to be completely different from each other. SO.. that didn't help much.

I just invested in a new QSC PA system and WOW it's so cool. During my career I've graduated from garage bands thru the rise up to having sound/light crews (before I did the semi-retired thing), and was amazed at how the gear has changed! Instead of all the racks of power amps and effects/crossovers etc - it's ALL IN THE SPEAKERS and mixers now!-- yeah I'm old lol

I am still trying out different mixers (so far PreSonus AR16 - Mackie PROFX19V2 and now a Yamaha MG16XU) waiting on an Allen & Heath that's on back order. Um yeah overkill for karaoke but I also plan on using it for live band gigs and for recording... will probably get a small 4 channel board etc exclusively for Karaoke in the near future.

I'm using an uber fast and clean PC with Intel Core i7 processors hooked hardwired usb from my mixer.

Well, that's it. I'm looking for a karaoke program - data base/online library - online song book/smart phone app and whatever hardware/programs I need to be able to hook into bars tv/monitors - but mostly using my own sound system.

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED AND THANKS IN ADVANCE! If I wasn't so crunched for time, I'd just keep reading, but that's only confusing me more lol. I think I need some REAL People interaction and that's why I ended up here!

HOPE YOUR DAY ROCKS! :)

Pamela

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:27 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
I've been using Karma since about 2011. It's adequate and does the job reasonably well. The customer support, unfortunately, is dependent on the mood of the programmer/owner. It's a one man show. Sometimes he can be helpful, sometimes he's a completely unhelpful, bi-polar jagoff. There's lots of good about Karma but there's lots of room for improvement and because he's a programmer and not a host, he doesn't understand some of the suggestions he's been offered.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:36 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Hiya thanks for the info - my cousin uses that program- and from what she says there's like zero support. They had a hella time with some newbie problems n couldn't even get a response to their questions- so that one's iffy.
Too bad cause once they got going they said it was okay but they're moving to something different with more features once they find it lol.
I was going to try it but after your nil support confirmation it's not at the top o the list at this point. I REALLY appreciate your fast reply! At least I know it works. - is it just the support that's making it "adequate" ? Or are there other issues you can expand on a bit? My cousins husband runs theirs so she didn't give me much for details.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:40 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
It's a matter of downloading all the trials and figuring out what you like/dislike about each. I prefer and use MTU Hoster after testing and using all the rest. For me it's the best.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:43 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Cool! Ty I was looking at that one earlier. May I ask WHY you prefer it? Is it features or ease of use etc? Your feedback is much appreciated! Also can I ask are you hooking through different club systems and if so can I get an example of how? Np if you don't want to expand on your answer I appreciate you already replying.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:43 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
Compuhost user here. I specifically use v2, but wouldn't hesitate to buy v3.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:54 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Okay Nice, I haven't looked far into that one yet, (wow there are SO many) though it's on my list - thanks a lot. If you have any reasons why this is your fav can you share them? Cool of you to get in this convo!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:09 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
ZOMBLUE wrote:
I'm using an uber fast and clean PC with Intel Core i7 processors hooked hardwired usb from my mixer.

:yes: QSC pa system. Awesome!

Connecting usb from pc to mixer is not recommend. ‘can’t eq the sound. Someone mentioned here that Yamaha mg16xu has the option of connecting through a channel. Not sure but worth checking out.

I would recommend an external card for that premium sound. Fav here is Lexicon Alpha $50.00 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Alpha
Download driver: http://lexiconpro.com/en-US/products/alpha (my fav is external Asus xonar essence stu) :wink:

Connect usb & reboot. 'should automatically connect the lex after reboot. If not, go to sound settings - set usb as your default.

My fav hosting software is karma simply because of the ease of use. But - It’s all a matter of personal preference, hence I won’t recommend it because everyone has their own fav. Popular around here: compuhost, mtu hoster, karma, siglos, etc.

I concur with Lonman. Download trial version first to help you decide if you want to buy the full version. Good luck and wish you success in putting it all together before Aug 10.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:22 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
btw, not recommending karma but I’d like to mention that you can download the trial version and it will function as a semi-full version, load all your tracks from the h’drive - except – you are limited to 3 tracks at a time. ‘could be the same for the other programs as well; not sure. http://www.karaosoft.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:26 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
The Yamaha boards all assign the USB to the last channel of the mixer. I am about to go back to the MG10XU mixer myself. Not really happy with the connection between the computer and the mixer that I am using now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:45 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
i prefer Siglos from Power Karaoke.
all the features of the other softwares plus
customizable interface (show what you want, where, and how big, and hide the parts you don't use)
custom announcement screens not just for the company, but for each individual singer as well (make your regulars feel special with a custom screen that announces only them, and if they don't have a custom one it defaults to your company screen)
custom backgrounds (replace the cdg background with a single color, gradient,WMP visualizations, pictures, gif's so they all look uniform)
graphics upgrades (smooths out the blocky cdg fonts, adds gradient to the letters, and drop shadow to makr them look closer to HD video karaoke and pop almost 3d)
handles all video files (there have been threads on here for almost every player not playing SOME video files correctly)
and it is less expensive than the others while including a license for 2 simultaneous installs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:36 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Well I've been trying to post for a coupla hours - but kept getting errors?? But then it let me on another thread? Lol now I've gotta catch up- you've definitely given me a lot to think about!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:32 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 64 times
I PERSONALLY LIKE THE SIGLOS PROGRAM

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:26 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Thanks everyone - I will look closer and if possible try these programs you mentioned!

Now ... Can anyone share HOW you are connecting to the tv/monitors in a bar etc? I see some places running two screens (usually permanently hung up around the club) - and I've been told that I may need some sorta audio interface box to go between? I have one hdmi jack and 3 different usb jacks on my pc (minus the 4th for my mouse dongle).

I realize that there are different connections needed for different house systems from the reading I've done except twice when I asked and a bartender says - "I dunno how they connect I'm too busy here making drinks to go learn that". Lol - and the second place he said- "Not my job" - "I dunno and I don't care"... so not a lotta cooperation though the owner wanted me to work there lol.

--------> I'm really wanting to see if I'm needing to purchase anything like this for various places. Though of course I will go check out the actual place I'm gonna do this at - hopefully this weekend.

I also saw a place online that run Bluetooth to monitors? Is this used much? I haven't found much info on completely Bluetooth systems in clubs.

Guess after getting my software another question is - Are you using completely ONLINE (cloud storage) data bases for your song storage? I see an external hard drive can also be used.

I have been watching the Kj's lately and after seeing 3 different local Kj's - 2 have nothing but a small laptop and no external cables on a table that makes me wonder HOW that's all they're using? Those are through a house system.

The third did have his own PA and a 4 channel mixer -an hdmi cable and a usb hooked through his comp - also one monitor on a stand near him, but then he's also broadcasting to a second monitor hung up at the other end of the bar. I didn't know 2. of these people enough to ask about their setup and the third i was afraid of offending as they had a dull boring show that was getting dropped from the bars laft n right (and were already upset they were being let go).

Last question on this part - do you bring your own tv monitor to have near you and the singers? If so any recommendations for one- or how are you connected?

Post subject: THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:24 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

THANK YOU -

TO all who posted your info on here! I've at least a starting point now! I wish it'd let me reply individually but, I guess a group ty is it, so here ya go! lol

I'm going to download some of these now - will keep ya posted.
and...

If anyone would like to address the connection to clubs monitors/tv's etc I'd REALLY Appreciate that also! I see where Brian talked about the lexicon, and I'll look further into that too.

I dunno why I couldn't post further on here last night? Anyone else have that sql error thing going on? I tried from pc and my iphone, but anyway it's workin today -yay!

Hope you all are having a GREAT Weekend!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:29 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

For you SIGLOS users, (just got that demo) do you use a separate online data base with that, because it's asking me to import songs? (and right now I don't have any karaoke songs)-- or is the one that comes with it fully updated and good to go once you have the full pro?

Does it have an integrated online songbook like MTU Hoster does? If not do you pay for one separate?

ALSO -- do you use any of the other products that they offer or just the Siglos Karaoke professional program itself? - as I see there are bundles and lots of options.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:28 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

FOR YOU MTU video hoster users,,,
(WOW what a program!!)

Which version are you using -
Video Hoster Suite 4 is the newest, I think?
OR... are you using just the main program OR whatever is in the suite?

With the integrated song store, do you have to purchase them all separate? - because some programs have unlimited data bases...
and/or are you using your own stored data base and downloads instead?
- or both?
--- or will it integrate with a completely different online searchable database?

I've gotta say I'm VERY impressed with both this and the Siglos programs so far.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:32 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

OK and one more thought -

For you guys using exclusively and partially online data bases - are you relying on the clubs wifi solely, or do you have a dongle/usb cellular wifi hot spot etc for yourself- so that you are covered everywhere?

Yeah I know LOTS of questions, but I can only read what I can find, and what I'm asking is mostly a matter of preference. I can't really depend on just reading for the simple fact there's no way to calculate the correct answer without knowing the particulars... and in order to make a decision on ALL of these things, I need all the input I can get lol

SO... the more I learn the more questions arise, but I'm getting down to it bit by bit :) - hoping to have it mostly figured out by the next weekend when I can actually purchase the things I need.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:07 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

ZOMBLUE wrote:
For you SIGLOS users, (just got that demo) do you use a separate online data base with that, because it's asking me to import songs? (and right now I don't have any karaoke songs)-- or is the one that comes with it fully updated and good to go once you have the full pro?

Does it have an integrated online songbook like MTU Hoster does? If not do you pay for one separate?

ALSO -- do you use any of the other products that they offer or just the Siglos Karaoke professional program itself? - as I see there are bundles and lots of options.

It is asking you basically to tell it where your karaoke files are so when you select them, they will play.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:18 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

The online Songlist database is so smartphone users and those who like to figure out what they might want to sing that night can plan out their requests. Some of these sites allow the singer to put in their request from their seats, some go straight to the player and some goes to a software that the host has to transfer the requests into the player himself. I use the later. I use to use the straight into the player method but since I switched to Siglos from CompuHost I really don't miss it and as a fix on an issue that Sandman has brought up, I now use a mobile kiosk using a tablet that I have an assistant roaming the audience with it to collect the requests. I still have to enter the requests into the player but it is way much easier than when I was entering requests via verbal exchange or slips because I only have to click on the field that I want on the song request software and paste the information into the appropriate fields.