KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - CAVS and 15 million "Free" Songs. Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:26 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
I got a CAVS email this morning, hawking a laptop bundle for $499

Curious, I opened the email, and see that they push "15 Million karaoke songs to download for free*"

Well, THAT's a great deal! so I scroll down to see what the '*' is all about...

This is what I read: * Free Song Files can be downloaded from YouTube and played with key, tempo, and sync controls. Please follow the YouTube usage agreement.

UGH! Why on earth would CAVS (granted a hardware company) promote theft and use of YouTube videos?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:27 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
They're not. They clearly say "Please follow the YouTube usage agreement." That means they are OK for home use, but not for professional use. No issues there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:21 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
TopherM wrote:
They're not. They clearly say "Please follow the YouTube usage agreement." That means they are OK for home use, but not for professional use. No issues there.

Sorry, I don't buy that...

They are selling a system that a normal home user wouldn't need. A full computer, with a HD that is 1TB with 250,000 song capacity, pro karaoke software (PlayCDG KJ Deluxe 64 LT), 2 wireless mics and a Bluetooth mixer.

I wouldn't call the system professional, but it IS a system. And it's the "base" of the line. Heres the link:

http://www.cavsusa.com/laptopnew.php#laptop

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:11 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 99 times
Regardless of how CAVS gets around it with legal jargon, it's not a good reflection on the character of their company to promote free use of music where the artists aren't getting compensated. Not to mention, I noticed they have a feature that saves the videos to the hard drive. That itself violates YouTube policy and copyright law because copying under the "fair use" clause of the law doesn't come into play unless you yourself already have a license to play the material. CAVS is really opening themselves up to a lot of legal liability. I don't really think their legal department thought this one through very well.

Besides, you don't even need to be knowledgeable of the law to see the red flags when you see "15 million songs for free". Clearly artists are getting ripped off. My opinion of CAVS' integrity has dropped after seeing this.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:43 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 108 times
THEIR AD SAID SOMETHING LIKE : IF YOU HEAR A SONG TODAY, A KARAOKE VERSION OF THE SONG WILL BE ON YOUTUBE BY TOMORROW. That just isn't the case at all. Some songs never get made for karaoke.