KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - It Just Gets Better ! Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: It Just Gets Better !
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:58 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Location: Macclesfield, ENGLAND Why won't the USA let honest people in?
Been Liked: 13 times
Well after doing 4 gigs now the pub owners approached me so offer their stuff to use instead of me lugging my gear across town and back again on a Saturday night. Now it's Behringer 15" speakers and not powered, but hey no more lugging stuff and it's Karaoke in a small, yet quiet popular, venue. The punters aren't audio phobes, just want a good night out. I'll be popping over this week to discuss it with the owners. Seems it's going well!!!!!

Praise the Lord !!!!!! :D

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:22 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
I had one owner get his own stuff, telling me how great it would be, cause I wouldn't have the set-up and break-down. Then he told me he would pay me $50 for 6 hours. I told him where he could stick his equipment. He got someone else, who, I think, works for a beer tab.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:10 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
I will never use bar equipment unless it's better than what I have. Which is usually never the case. I have a reputation for outstanding sound quality among my singers and I will not compromise that even if it means not having to lug my stuff back and forth.

Most owners have no clue what constitutes good equipment or are willing to pay for it. One of them had equipment consisting of a Radio Shack mixer and believed it to be good. Wow.

Last edited by Alan B on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:11 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

crazyface wrote:
Well after doing 4 gigs now the pub owners approached me so offer their stuff to use instead of me lugging my gear across town and back again on a Saturday night. Now it's Behringer 15" speakers and not powered, but hey no more lugging stuff and it's Karaoke in a small, yet quiet popular, venue. The punters aren't audio phobes, just want a good night out. I'll be popping over this week to discuss it with the owners. Seems it's going well!!!!!

Praise the Lord !!!!!! :D

Unless the equipment he's providing is much better than yours, you're making a big mistake.

But, unless you're singers don't care about sound quality and you don't care about your reputation, then use the house system. To me, the trade off of not having to set up and break down is not worth it. Unless like I said, their equipment is better than yours.

Also, many owners think that because you are using their system they can pay you less. Hope that's not the case for you if you decide to use their stuff which I don't recommend.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:59 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
I fill in for a KJ who plugs into a house system. 2 EV ETX-18's under the stage; 2 EV ETX-35's flown above the stage; Behringer X32. I'm happy to leave my system at home. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:53 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

djdon wrote:
I fill in for a KJ who plugs into a house system. 2 EV ETX-18's under the stage; 2 EV ETX-35's flown above the stage; Behringer X32. I'm happy to leave my system at home. :)

I would leave my stuff home too. That is a rare exception as to what most bars have.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:50 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Funnest house system I used was had 2 quad 18" cabs each side, 2 dual 12" 3 way JBL's each side. Approx 20K watts total. 4 monitors on stage (I used 2). 48 channel A & H house console with high grade effects and compression. Plus access to the entire stage lighting system. We were definitely rockin that place. I should have known it was the beginning of the end when the sound guy pulled all the gear a few months in. Turns out the owner of the club didn't want to pay him his price anymore - which is exactly what he pulled on me the next week. Going from $150 to $75 per night just wasn't in the cards. He got another kj in that accepted. They are long out of business today!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:11 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Location: Macclesfield, ENGLAND Why won't the USA let honest people in?
Been Liked: 13 times
I'm using Alto 12" speakers with Behringer mixer (the mixer is rubbish as the gain knobs don't work properly and I'm looking for a new one) but I have to say the sound they produce together is great. The bar has Behringer 15" speakers and I've not seen the mixer yet but the owner is a singer herself so I can't imagine it will be a rubbish one. She's been doing the karaoke with her system and hasn't lost any customers yet. I'll let you know after this Saturday!! :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:11 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
I would also make sure that you are very clear with the bar owners about what happens if a speaker blows or an amp fails, i.e., who is then responsible for that cost!

I HATE using other people's equipment, just for the liability factor, and I'd certainly never let anyone use mine for the same reason!