KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - VOCOPRO DA-X10? If not ,what are alternatives? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:44 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I'm basement karaoke enthusiast and being enjoying it more and more lately with my friends and alone . ( I hope my wife don't ever see "alone" part) :D .
My Behringer MiniMix 800 gave up after many years a day ago. I see exposed wires from power block and I think that the case. I've decided it was a sign to upgrade my mixer.

I have two 15' active seismic audio PA, one good Sure mic and one $15 mic.Not too fancy as you can see. After hours of searching web I've decided to get VOCOPRO DA-X10. It's perfect on a paper with all the effects, remote etc. Not a lot of good reviews, though.

I did some research on this great site forums and see that most people are not found of VOCOPRO products.

Can you give me advice if I should get it? If you're not going to recommend it, can you advise me about similar setup: mixer with sound effects for vocals. the price range is about $300.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:12 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
OH NO....VOCOPRO!!! :shock:

Geez...$370 for the VocoPro is CRAZY!! :o

For only two mics, the Yamaha MG06X ($125) or Yamaha MG10X ($150) or Allen & Heath ZED 6FX ($150) blow that Behringer and VocoPro out of the water sonically.

Do you run your karaoke off a computer or off a disc player? If off a computer, they also make USB versions of all of the above for just a bit more, and the USB connection will drastically improve your sound over like a 35mm headphone jack.

If you run a player with RCA outs, then you don't need the USB.

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:48 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Echo what Topher said.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:31 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
I would be +! on the Yamaha MG10XU.

Infinately better than vocopro OR behringer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:57 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The "X" standing for the effects feature and the "U" standing for the USB version with a built in sound card.

Yamaha MG10XU, $199.99

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:38 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Great advice, thank you , guys.
I use laptop so USB would be nice .
I see Yamaha MG10XU with USB and effects. Do I need effects if I plan on buying TC Helicon voice anyway?
There is Mackie ProFX8V2 with effects, USB and 5 band stereo graphic EQ. But doesn't have compressors, like Yamaha .what do you think about that one ? Do you use compressors for your vocal ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:18 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

I personally don't think you need the compression for home use. Basically, the compression on the vocal channels will "compress" the actual dynamic range into a set dynamic range, i.e., if the input vocal falls below a set threshold, it will bump the gain up, i.e., make it louder if it's too soft, and if it goes above a set threshold, it will reduce the gain, i.e., make it softer if it's too loud.

For home use, you'll only have a handful of people using the system, and you'll get use to how much gain/volume they need on their vocal. It's much more useful in a professional show with dozens of singers that might be too soft or scream at any time to keep those extreme variables in check.

You do not need the version of the mixer with effects if you intend on purchasing an external effects processor. Just note that if you aren't the least bit tech savvy, you will likely find onboard effects to be a bit simpler to user than an external unit.

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT, none of these smaller format mixers have insert points, so you really couldn't properly plug an external effects unit to them. The insert points start with the 12 channel units!

For my money, I'd personally get the Allen & Heath, and they make a USB version in the 10 channel version, the ZEDi-10FX ($199.00).

The Yamaha is probably build a little better as far as the chassis, but the Allen & Heath definitely has better mic preamps and slightly better FX. The Yamaha is definitely a good one too, though, so really can't lose!

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:23 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Nothing wrong with the Mackie ProFX8v2, though I'd put that one a notch below the other two.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:05 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Do you guys use effects for music only quite often ? Or just vocals ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:27 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
TopherM wrote:
I personally don't think you need the compression for home use. Basically, the compression on the vocal channels will "compress" the actual dynamic range into a set dynamic range, i.e., if the input vocal falls below a set threshold, it will bump the gain up, i.e., make it louder if it's too soft, and if it goes above a set threshold, it will reduce the gain, i.e., make it softer if it's too loud.

For home use, you'll only have a handful of people using the system, and you'll get use to how much gain/volume they need on their vocal. It's much more useful in a professional show with dozens of singers that might be too soft or scream at any time to keep those extreme variables in check.

You do not need the version of the mixer with effects if you intend on purchasing an external effects processor. Just note that if you aren't the least bit tech savvy, you will likely find onboard effects to be a bit simpler to user than an external unit.

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT, none of these smaller format mixers have insert points, so you really couldn't properly plug an external effects unit to them. The insert points start with the 12 channel units!

For my money, I'd personally get the Allen & Heath, and they make a USB version in the 10 channel version, the ZEDi-10FX ($199.00).

The Yamaha is probably build a little better as far as the chassis, but the Allen & Heath definitely has better mic preamps and slightly better FX. The Yamaha is definitely a good one too, though, so really can't lose!

Good luck!
The A&H Zed mixers don't have individual insert points either.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:54 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
the newer X1622USB Behringers do have insert points, and the pre's they are using are Midas built along with Klark Teknik effects.
just throwing another option, not arguing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:54 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

OK, I've narrowed it down to 2 contestants :

Yamaha MG10XU , runs $200
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-MG10XU-10 ... TH2Y2BAAAQ

Behringer Xenyx1204 USB runs 150

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039 ... PDKIKX0DER
It's mostly identical units for my intended use, with USB, built in effects and compressors.
Now Yamaha is $50 more. Is it worth to invest little more?
P.S.: I'm probably overthinking it :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:00 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-X1622U ... xenyx+1622
same cost as the Yamaha, but with sweepable mids (gets better vocal clarity than non-sweepable mids), faders (better control over volume than knobs), more meter segments (better control over input gain on the mics), PFL control (actual control on the mics input gain), more effects and effect combinations (most vocals use reverb and delay but the Yamaha only offers reverb OR delay), tap control for delay (tap the button twice in time with the music and the delay goes that speed so it sounds natural), 3 band eq on the muic channels (vs 2 band on the Yamaha), and neither of the others have channel inserts but the 1622 does.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:23 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 95 times
I'm reluctant to weigh in on sound issues, because everyone here knows 'em better than I, but I respectfully disagree that compression isn't a useful tool where there are a limited number of singers, such as in a home setting.

What I've seen is that compression, used judiciously, isn't just a tool for equalizing different singers of various dynamics, but that it makes many singers sound much smoother and better within their individual performances. It just sounds better when someone's belting out the high notes on a rock tune and the volume is more balanced with the rest of the performance. And if the goal is to make it sound more like the original, the original was probably compressed. A lot of people just sound better compressed a little. A few people sound better compressed a lot.

I suppose in a home setting the some of the louder notes being 'tamped down' would be audible acoustically, which might lessen the salutary effect.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:54 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-X1622USB-Premium-16-Input-Compressors/dp/B0036ECH3U/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1491288813&sr=1-1&keywords=behringer+xenyx+1622
same cost as the Yamaha, but with sweepable mids (gets better vocal clarity than non-sweepable mids), faders (better control over volume than knobs), more meter segments (better control over input gain on the mics), PFL control (actual control on the mics input gain), more effects and effect combinations (most vocals use reverb and delay but the Yamaha only offers reverb OR delay), tap control for delay (tap the button twice in time with the music and the delay goes that speed so it sounds natural), 3 band eq on the muic channels (vs 2 band on the Yamaha), and neither of the others have channel inserts but the 1622 does.

Some people here say that Yamaha is superior product to Behringer and worth extra money . What is your take ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:36 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

i've used both and replaced my Yamaha with a Behringer.
i won't ever call Yamaha a bad product in any way, they are great.
many times though it becomes value for the money.
Behringer now owns Midas, one of the top names in the MI audio industry.
Midas engineers redeveloped the Xenyx preamps using their designs so the NEW ones (not 3 years ago) are more like those.
the effects are Klark Teknik, another top name in the MI recording industry.
for the same money as the Yamaha using outsourced components you get
*Midas designed pre's built by and for Behringer in their own facility, instead of outsourced parts from a bulk supplier
*compressors on each mic channel (compressors reworked by Klark Teknik and built in house as well)
*Klrk Teknik effects with more effect combination and control than the Yamaha (both 24 bit 196k)
*sweepable mids (the static 2.5k mid is 95% useless on vocals where your problems show between 250Hz and 600Hz)
*4 band eq on the music channels (later SC tracks for example are compressed and scooped to hell, this let's you fix that)
*inserts on mic channels
*2 aux sends (you can use the internal plus mono TC Helicon or bypass internal and use 2 TC Helicon effects)
*PFL lets you set the mic levels correctly (not available on the yamaha)
*more meter segments also let you set the gain corretly
*Xenyx preamps have 130dB dynamic range vs Yamaha 105 (greater headroom before distortion/clipping)

it's things like this where i say bang for the buck...
we are not talking about Yamaha being worth the higher price...they are the same price.
do you need all this for home use? some say you don't need all this for pro use. but if you are going to pay $200 on a mixer for home use, why not get the one with more features and control for your money.
This is not the Behringer of 5 years ago at all, and most here remember that i was one of the most outspoken nay-sayers of Behringer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:11 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
i've used both and replaced my Yamaha with a Behringer.
i won't ever call Yamaha a bad product in any way, they are great.
many times though it becomes value for the money.
Behringer now owns Midas, one of the top names in the MI audio industry.
Midas engineers redeveloped the Xenyx preamps using their designs so the NEW ones (not 3 years ago) are more like those.
the effects are Klark Teknik, another top name in the MI recording industry.
for the same money as the Yamaha using outsourced components you get
*Midas designed pre's built by and for Behringer in their own facility, instead of outsourced parts from a bulk supplier
*compressors on each mic channel (compressors reworked by Klark Teknik and built in house as well)
*Klrk Teknik effects with more effect combination and control than the Yamaha (both 24 bit 196k)
*sweepable mids (the static 2.5k mid is 95% useless on vocals where your problems show between 250Hz and 600Hz)
*4 band eq on the music channels (later SC tracks for example are compressed and scooped to hell, this let's you fix that)
*inserts on mic channels
*2 aux sends (you can use the internal plus mono TC Helicon or bypass internal and use 2 TC Helicon effects)
*PFL lets you set the mic levels correctly (not available on the yamaha)
*more meter segments also let you set the gain corretly
*Xenyx preamps have 130dB dynamic range vs Yamaha 105 (greater headroom before distortion/clipping)

it's things like this where i say bang for the buck...
we are not talking about Yamaha being worth the higher price...they are the same price.
do you need all this for home use? some say you don't need all this for pro use. but if you are going to pay $200 on a mixer for home use, why not get the one with more features and control for your money.
This is not the Behringer of 5 years ago at all, and most here remember that i was one of the most outspoken nay-sayers of Behringer.

Wow, thank you.
What do you think about "younger brother" Behringer 1204usb
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039 ... PDKIKX0DER
I see it has one 3 band EQ instead of 4. Do you think it's worth $40 extra. Some other benefits you see besides that and number of channels?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:35 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

I personally wouldn't use a Behringer product if they paid me to endorse them! I'd choose the Yamaha over Behringer any day of the week.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:38 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Lonman wrote:
I personally wouldn't use a Behringer product if they paid me to endorse them! I'd choose the Yamaha over Behringer any day of the week.

What about all the notes that they changed a lot of things recently?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:43 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

You can change a Leopards spots......