KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - The Three Deadly Sins Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Three Deadly Sins
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:57 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
The thread about the dreaded back-up singer reminded me that there are certain cardinal rules for a karaoke host... and three of the most important are what I call the Three Deadly Sins...

1. Screwing with the rotation.. Playing favorites etc. You want to kill your show? This is probably the quickest and easiest way to do it;

2. The host mic-hog. We've all seen, or at least heard of the host who absolutely knows the audience would rather listen to him/her than themselves.... Wrong; and,

3. Allowing the interloping, dreaded back-up singer.

I'm sure you have your own pet peeves, but these three are very high on my list of no-no's.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:42 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
FOURTH DEADLY SIN:
The dreaded "funeral dedication" when some most drunk person gets up and wants to "say a few words" before their song......

about how uncle Harry passed away yesterday...

and they just came from the funeral.....

and how much he is already missed.

Just before they sing "He Stopped Loving Her Today" or some other dirge-like song.

(Harry died, but this singer is actively killing your show right in front of you)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:58 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
8) Besides these I think of the advice the little Asian lady gave me when I bought my original equipment, she called them Cardinal Rules, there are four of them.

1. Don't be lazy.

2. Don't be greedy.

3.Don't drink on the job.

4. Don't use your gig as a way to pick up women, especially if you are married.

So Chip how do you avoid the memorials if you are hired to do karaoke wake services? A great deal of work I do now is patrons that have passed on and want karaoke at the funeral reception? These pay as well as weddings, but I really don't like them since sometimes it is a friend that has passed on. Not to mention I'm starting to be known as the Black Knight.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:15 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
So Chip how do you avoid the memorials if you are hired to do karaoke wake services?
I've never been hired for a "wake party" at all. I've been hired to sing at funeral services several times, but that's it.

When someone asks to make some sort of comment before their song, they have a simple choice: 1) tell me what it is ahead of time and I'll decided whether or not it will happen or, 2) it doesn't happen. I'm not providing sound for anyone's political platform or pity party.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:05 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
I had a guy make a dedication to a singer that died 4 years ago. The deceased gent was quite a prominent figure so I let him talk for about one looonnggg minute, and then I started the song before he was done. No one uses my stage as a platform for any reason.

I almost always have 2 or three beers when running my shows. I actually feel it makes for a looser night which equates to more fun for me and them. :wink:

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:51 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
8) It's just me I was never a 3 drink lunch guy, I just felt if I was getting paid to do a job, I should do it and party on my own time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:05 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
mrmarog wrote:
I almost always have 2 or three beers when running my shows. I actually feel it makes for a looser night which equates to more fun for me and them. :wink:

Sam Ting with me... 'cept make it rye 'n ginger instead of beer. No more than two though... More than that and we run the chance of losing my driver's licence.... and that would be a disaster.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:28 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
Earl wrote:
mrmarog wrote:

Sam Ting with me... 'cept make it rye 'n ginger instead of beer. No more than two though... More than that and we run the chance of losing my driver's licence.... and that would be a disaster.

I just leave my driver license at home. That way I can't lose it. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:47 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

chrisavis wrote:

You finally got it back?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:11 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
c. staley wrote:
chrisavis wrote:

You finally got it back?

A blind man throwing darts......

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:54 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
personally, mine are:

1. don't be the a-hole KJ that uses the mic for lame jokes or to bully and degrade folks. i felt like there were too many of those in the 90s when i first hit the karaoke scene as a singer

2. i don't care for the kj that's always absent. where the hell did the kj go? off smoking, at the bar chatting, in a deep convo with their buddies

3. the kj that IMMEDIATELY has to show you that they DO NOT LIKE YOU. and yall never met. i try to give some kjs a pass and say they're having an offnight or maybe i rubbed them the wrong way during our intro, but some KJs take one look up and down at you and they already don't like you. and don't even know you. like that KJ only like certain people like folks who wear designer clothes etc. or kjs that don't like singers above a certain age. oh man, that's sometimes the KJ i may see around here. if my sneakers aren't hip or my jacket shows my alma mater high school and that KJ doesn't like my high school that kj immediately doesn't like me. kjs around here immediately don't like folks based on their personal style. this was one of the reasons i became a kj. i was like can't we get a host who just accepts everyone, regardless?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:44 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
1: Don't screw with the rotation with the exception of a singing bartender or a bathroom break.
2. Don't drink alcohol while working, too easy to screw with the rotation in my opinion.
3. Don't use YouTube via a Web browser. Too easy for the karaoke police to pop you.
4. Treat every singer as if they are the most important singer in the room. Basically means don't play favorites period.