KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Do you allow wandering or do you keep them onstage? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:22 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 204 times
I used to use wired Sennheisers with 15' to 20' XLR cables. I actually had one singer tangle the cable into the mic stand and when he lifted the mic stand for dramatic effect, he yanked my mixer right off of my work surface along with other items that were sitting nearby. I also had a singer who left the stage and when they got to the end of the length of cable, they turned and yanked on it, also causing havoc on my work surface but fortunately not causing major damage. Cabled mics also resulted in a host of other problems such as mic swinging and people holding the mic by the cable connection and actually leveraging the cable end until they disconnected it and eventually wearing it out.

When I switched to wireless I began to reinforce my policy of "Stay on the stage" (or in the stage area) with the microphone. Too many unaware people will point the mic directly at a live 1000 watt speaker while passing in front of it. Too many drunk people will point the mic at another drunk, allowing them to cup or twist the mic and all to often to scream into a mic that has be EQ'd for the singer.

I have a hard enough time getting people to hand me back the mic I handed to them. I've had people set them on the floor, set them on the sub, set them directly on my laptop keyboard and even put them on the lyrics monitor stand (which I don't mind so much). Most people can't even figure out how to clip the mic back into the mic stand. I certainly don't want to spend my evening chasing down my mics or retrieving them from random people who never even signed up to sing.

It's also a case of... let one person do it and everyone will imitate them.

So... what say you? Do you allow singers to wander? Do you keep singers onstage? What, if any, problems do you encounter and how do you deal?

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:25 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 180 times
I let them wander around if they want. I have never had any of the problems you described.
Most stay close to the stage area a few want to get close to their date and sing to them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:27 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
Wireless mics so that can wander around. I even let them go outside though I will usually send someone out with them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:01 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
I used to only have wired so pretty much told them to remain on stage. When we did our first club remodel the wired mics would no longer work from where I was in relation to the stage. I bought wireless, and allowed them to roam free. Never had any issues with having to chase down mics. If they can't get it back into the mic stand, they either hand it to me or to the upcoming singer. Speakers are placed where the majority won't walk in front of, but even then feedback is rare.
9 out of 10 singers still remain on stage.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:26 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
I prefer that they not leave the stage area, but if they do if they do they don't pass very close to my mains (10 feet). I discourage it because I work so hard to make the stage area the best singing environment in the room.

As far as keeping track of the mics is concerned, they put it back into very conveniently located mic clip or hand it to me. BTW I use only wireless mics... and always have.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:12 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
i don't even use a stage area, they can sing from wherever they feel most comfortable (great for the nervous ones who won't sing anywhere else because of getting on stage) and have never had any of the problems you describe.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:08 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 190 times
Im sure some of you can bend the rules to cater to those in wheel chairs and elders.

For is that not the reason for getting a wireless mic in the first place.

Personally, if you have wireless, then technically the whole bar is your stage.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:15 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
I was over in Phoenix one time, the club was laid out crappy for an audience to see the singers.
The TV sets were all around the area, and the KJ brought the wireless mic to you at your table.

Seemed to work OK, although I did have to sign autographs for a while..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:19 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
My place does not have an actual stage. I'm just at one end of a rectangular room.

It's also the same side as the bathrooms, so there's alot of foot traffic right in front of my singers.

I strictly make them stay in our defined area, for obvious reasons. I have one guy that thinks it is hilarious to walk out as far as he can, and I always immediately turn him off. We've had the talk several times that he's going to trip someone with the mix cord, and I'm going to get sued and my life is going to be over. Hardly worth it for whatever he is getting out of wandering out there. He did it a couple times in a row after I had spoken with him about it, and I didn't let him sing for a few shows, and I think he finally got the hint that I was serious.

If I ran wireless mics, I wouldn't particularly care. I'd just ask them to stay out of the proximity of the speakers. I even attend a show at a VFW where everyone is kinda expected to sing from their seat.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:29 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
I only run wireless mics because of the possible legal action against me that can result in a drunk tripping over a mic cord. I just don't want the hassle of a court case. Especially when some of the venues that I have worked in make it so you have to walk around or through the singer's view just to get in the door.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:14 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
8) I have used both wired and wireless mics, it really depends on your patrons and how well you know them. I joke with them and ask if they want the leash or not. They think it is funny, actually I'm serious. After awhile you know which one's are " the one's too many and a million's not enough" crowd. I don't have any mic flippers thank God but then I don't usually play to a young audience. Most problems happen with the karaoke binge drinkers, who for some strange reason, only over drink when doing karaoke. I think it has something to do with the booze getting their courage up. The next day usually their spouse or friends tell them what a donkey's backside they were the night before. Some have actually come back and said they were sorry, and they will never do it again, that is until the next show. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Last edited by The Lone Ranger on Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:01 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
All wireless... all the time. Take it where you want, but bring it back and treat like it is a highly accurate, radio transmitter. Drop it on purpose and you won't want to come back.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:25 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 95 times
We've had great luck with this:

http://www.invisiblefence.com/

The hard part is getting them to wear the collar.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:00 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
karaokeniagarafalls wrote:
Im sure some of you can bend the rules to cater to those in wheel chairs and elders.

We have a guy who is wheelchair bound, and has very limited arm movement. I have a boom mic stand for when hes coming down so we can adjust the monitor and no one has to hold the mic for him while he sings.

Wireless Mics for the win... People are pretty good with bringing them back by the end of the song (not perfect about it though). Since our stage is a focal point, people tend to stay in the area.

And as for going outside... yeah we've done that lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:42 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
i feel your pain, mtnkaraoke

i'm always reminding my singers to stay in place and to not roam around. because i'll be honest, i just don't trust any of my singers, anywhere--geez, i don't know these fools! no, i don't think they're gonna steal my mic. i'm like why do you need to wander off? stay in an area where i can see you. wanderers inspire other singers to take things further and crazier. nah, son. i got enough problems. i need my singers to stay put and act right. i allow folks to be themselves during my show but i'm quick to say 'don't wander!'.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:24 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
i have gotten more new singers from wandering singers than i can count. they in general will get people involved and suddenly i'm inundated with newbies who have never sung before.