KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Recommended Home Karaoke Speaker Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:02 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
Hello, please need your advise im a newbie here and also not really familiar with sound systems. I want to have a karaoke at home as all my family and friends just love singing. Can someone recommend me a good sound system (speaker, mixer, receiver) and a good karaoke player too and where to buy it (online or store) I'm from Toronto Canada, I plan to have it on our basement, i'm on budget and want a not so expensive but good quality sound and voice clarity. Hope to hear from the experts. Thank you.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:26 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
If you already have a laptop, you have a player already. That would be money saved to use for the other items that you need. If you want to go cheap maybe you can look on EBay for used gear.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:39 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
If you already have a laptop, you have a player already. That would be money saved to use for the other items that you need. If you want to go cheap maybe you can look on EBay for used gear.

Yes, if you plan to use "Digital Files" you would be using your laptop. You would then need a "hosting" program to run it. If you're going to be using discs, then you would need a CDG Disc Player, also known as a karaoke player.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:42 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
If you're going to be using discs, then you would need a CDG Disc Player, also known as a karaoke player.
Or the computer with hosting program that has the ability to read cdg from the DVD drive.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:58 pm 

[quote="Lonman"][quote="Alan B"][quote="DannyG2006"]If you're going to be using discs, then you would need a CDG Disc Player, also known as a karaoke player.[/quote][/quote]Or the computer with hosting program that has the ability to read cdg from the DVD drive.[/quote]

Yes i would likely use my laptop. Any recommendation of a good PA speaker? im planning to buy the Yamaha stagepas 400i, would this be enough?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:06 pm 

Found a used Pair of Mackies SRM450 v2 powered PA Speakers - 400W at $600 in Kijiji seller. Can someone advise if this is good for home karaoke?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-performance-dj-e ... nFlag=true

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:23 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

gavino wrote:
Yes i would likely use my laptop. Any recommendation of a good PA speaker? im planning to buy the Yamaha stagepas 400i, would this be enough?
For a small home system this would be a good starter system, although you'll probably end up upgrading to something a little more powerful as most end up doing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:24 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

gavino wrote:
Found a used Pair of Mackies SRM450 v2 powered PA Speakers - 400W at $600 in Kijiji seller. Can someone advise if this is good for home karaoke?

These are great speakers for home use. Now you'd want a small mixer to go along with them. Something like this
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi ... mg&index=2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:58 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Lonman wrote:
gavino wrote:

These are great speakers for home use. Now you'd want a small mixer to go along with them. Something like this
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi ... mg&index=2

Used to own one and I loved it. I wish that they would have had compression on all four mic channels but otherwise a very good mixer. I only got rid of it because I needed the money and I was going back to a passive system and the amp that I had been using had developed a short in one of the volume controls. Setting 14 on the FX is one of the better settings because it actually is labeled karaoke. The effect is dead on and gives the voice and nice full effect.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:58 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 95 times
The StagePas system is great for what it is, and easy to use, but the Mackies are much better. Who knows, one of those days you might want to do 'patio karaoke', and those little systems will get eaten alive out there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:19 am 

CafeBar wrote:
The StagePas system is great for what it is, and easy to use, but the Mackies are much better. Who knows, one of those days you might want to do 'patio karaoke', and those little systems will get eaten alive out there.

Thank you guys for all your input. I am also checking the speaker EV SX-300 2-Way PA Loudspeakers. I think they are good too but again need all the other bits to go with them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:34 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Powered speakers are definitely a better option imo for home, provided you have outlets available for each speaker.
The EV speakers are great to but like you already know, you'll need to get even more gear for those.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:34 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 224 times
I've used my Yamaha StagePas 600i on many occassions for karaoke. Good compression, almost zero feedback (has a feedback suppressor function), and vocal effects problems and that sysytem has great sound for vocals and music mix. It would be a good choice.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:40 pm 

Thanks I think i will go for the stagepass 600i.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:07 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 95 times
gavino wrote:

One advantage of the StagePas systems is that, like powered speakers, the components are engineered to work together.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:19 pm 

CafeBar wrote:
gavino wrote:

One advantage of the StagePas systems is that, like powered speakers, the components are engineered to work together.

I bought the Stagepass 400i instead and they are good. Now I need to add a subwoofer on it, can you please recommend a cheap subwoofer that work for it. My budget will be araound $300 or lower dont want to spend that much on subwoofer. I have no knowledge on what specs should I get. Appreciate's if someone can advise. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:40 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
I use a single powered JBL Eon 10" in my home system along with a small mixer... Admittedly, I have a small rec room that can only accommodate about 12 or 14 people, so the single 10" handles the job very well. It's the same make & model as my show singer's monitor, so I could use it if my show monitor should ever need service or replacement.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:50 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

gavino wrote:
CafeBar wrote:
gavino wrote:

I bought the Stagepass 400i instead and they are good. Now I need to add a subwoofer on it, can you please recommend a cheap subwoofer that work for it. My budget will be araound $300 or lower dont want to spend that much on subwoofer. I have no knowledge on what specs should I get. Appreciate's if someone can advise. Thanks

You aren't going to find much in that price range. But here is a Behringer powered sub that may fit the bill. 12" will compliment the 8" cabs nicely.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHB1200DPRO