KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Recommendation for home equipment for daughter Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:20 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
Totally new to this. I have seen the all-in-one systems and don't have much faith in them as I had one and it was horrible. Ideally what I would like would be a speaker and mics connected to a laptop which plays the music. Now I think I need a mixer for the mics but I am not educated in music equipment.

Any recommendations? I got 4 days to go to purchase the equipment.

PS. One problem I had with a previous setup was that you literally had to put the mic to your lips for you voice to be heard. Even removing the outside mic cover didn't seem to help. Mic volume was up. Any idea what the problem could have been and how to avoid it?

Thanks!

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:45 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
With regards to the mics you are probably best to get one on a stand. They are safer and less likely to get dropped. It will also help if anyone smokes while they sing as they can stand back for a puff so the smoke shouldn't get on the mics.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:42 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
Here is what you will need.

A mixer. This one is a consumer level (not pro) model. Many have had a bad experience with the quality in the past. But they have upped their game and I have not seen any reports of issues is quite a while. I've had a few of their mixers for home use and they have been great for me.
This one has two mic inputs with compression (great to have) and can operate as the USB audio interface.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi ... 2usb-mixer

Mics: You can get more bang for the buck with wired mics (usually). There is also a little less to troubleshoot if you have issues. You would need a mic cable for each mic. This is the standard work horse, pro or not.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/dynamic- ... e-sm58-mic

Many here have given a wireless mic some great reviews but I don't have links to those. maybe someone will chime in for you.

Speaker: I would suggest a powered speaker and you can probably get by with one for now.
This EV would provide all the power you would need for a living room or basement.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi ... oudspeaker.

You would need another longer mic cable to plug the mixer into the speaker.

So the laptop plugs into the Mixer via USB. The mics plug into the mixer via mic cables (25 ft?). The mixer plugs into the speaker via a mic cable (25 ft?). You can also run the laptop to a or computer monitor if you want to show the graphics on something besides the computer screen.

Maybe others can jump in and provide their ideas..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:08 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
What kind of a budget are you looking at. As you found the cheap all in one units are nothing but junk. You will need to invest into a little bit more, like the post above (i'd recommend a better mixer, the mixer linked above doesn't even have any vocal effect which are very desireable for karaoke). I'd also change out the wired mic from the wired SM58 to the wireless GTD Audio
http://www.amazon.com/GTD-Audio-G-622H- ... =gtd+audio

Then you'll probably need something to play the music on, most here just use their computer (laptotp). You can get music that you want from legal sites to download from. Usually $1-$2.99 per track. Then the appropriate karaoke software.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:16 am 

budget would be $200-$400 but the above sounds just about what I would need. I think I get the overall schematic of connections now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:25 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

jranaudo wrote:
budget would be $200-$400 but the above sounds just about what I would need. I think I get the overall schematic of connections now.
Unfortunately with that low of a budget you are going to stay in the toy category. Figure for a minimal home system that will sound good, about more realistic $1000 will be what you are looking at. A little could be shaved here & there to drop that down maybe $100-150.
Just make sure whatever you end up doing, if it states it 'made for karaoke' or 'professional' (although there are always rare exceptions) anywhere on the unit, it's most likely overpriced junk.

This would be a bare minimal recommendation
http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMMG06X - Mixer - $120
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHB212D - Powered speaker - $250 (can always start with one until you can get a 2nd one)
http://www.amazon.com/GTD-Audio-G-622H- ... =gtd+audio - 2 wireless mics - $170

This is a bare minimal recommend. You would still need 2 short mic cords (XLR-XLR) for the wireless mic receiver to the mixer & 1 longer mic cord (25-50')(XLR-XLR) to get from the mixer to the powered speaker. Figure with all cords about $600 budget.

You will still need to get a player of some sort. There are some free basic mp3g players out there (for computer). And one demo of pro kj software out there you can use the full benefits, just cannot load more than 3 songs at a time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:34 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Many have started with the $400 budget and ended up spending a LOT more because what they bought wasn't enough so they had to replace it. LOL I know what Lon and I have speced out is more, but you would be in great shape with it.

You can get closer to $400 if you go used, but you really need to understand what you are getting. Browse ebay and post a link if you find something.

Lon, I couldn't find the goto Yamaha mixer. I think it is either discontinued or dropped by MF. I knew you wouldn't like it.. LOL but I also figured to already be over budget and, as you know, it can get a lot worse once you get into the pro mixers. Thanks for the GTD link.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:39 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

MrBoo wrote:
Lon, I couldn't find the goto Yamaha mixer. I think it is either discontinued or dropped by MF. I knew you wouldn't like it..
Only reason i'd opt for something else is simply because there are no vocal effects on that board. I put up links to a basic package as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:08 am 

ok being a total newb here but why do I need and what is a mixer? :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:25 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

No worries!

The mixer does just that... In the simplest form, it mixes the music and the vocals together. Most amps\speakers and not designed to mix several signals together, hence, the mixer. Most do much more because a good mix requires more. Mics require a certain type of input and mixers provide that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:38 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Lonman wrote:
MrBoo wrote:
Lon, I couldn't find the goto Yamaha mixer. I think it is either discontinued or dropped by MF. I knew you wouldn't like it..
Only reason i'd opt for something else is simply because there are no vocal effects on that board. I put up links to a basic package as well.

Good catch. I thought it did, but but it only has an FX send.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:38 am 

ok thanks all. I went out and got a Speaker with built in mixer which is sounding fine. Everything is working gloriously from the laptop!

So my next question....Karaoke software recommendations?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:27 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
Speakers don't have true "mixers" built in, and if it does it is likely gimmicky junk.

Do you mean that it has a separate mic input with a separate volume control for that input? This might work for your needs, but it's about as basic as it gets. What's the speaker make/model?

For software, you can go with a basic player that just plays files to something full features with rotation management and tons of other features. You seem to just need the basic functionality, in which case this is a very stable player based on the CompuHost platform:

http://www.karaokeware.com/kmp.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:53 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Any mixer built into a power speaker will not have any vocal effects which are crucial for any singer - and if it does, like Topher said it's going to be gimmiky junk and very likely will faill within a year.

The software depends on what you are playing and ultimately what you want to do with it. If it's strictly for home use there are some basic free players with no bells or whistles at all. Or if you might do occasional parties then some of the cheaper hosting programs can run up $100. Also will you be playing strictly mp3g or doing video files as well?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:56 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

bazinga wrote:
The Bose L1 with ToneMatch would be the closest thing to having a speaker with "semi" built in mixer
Yeah but with his around $400 budget, that shouldn't have even been mentioned in this thread :roll: Besides it's not the closest thing to having a built in mixer, the Carvin S600B actually has a real mixer built in - with effects. http://carvinaudio.com/collections/s600/products/s600b that is actually good for many applications that just need to set & forget, for something that you need to adjust for every singer it just wouldn't be practical. But again out of his $400 budget.

There are several other powered speakers that have a simple 2 channel mixers and may contain a channel for music (RCA) but nothing of any real value for karaoke applications.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:17 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
Everyone here is making recommendations... I have a question.

@ jranaudo: What do you need this system for? Is it for private home use, or is it to be used in a professional setting (although I seriously doubt you mean to use it for the latter with just a $400 budget)?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:24 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
something to remember

"opinions are like buttholes, we all have one and they all stink"

here's mine

Confused about the speaker option you got. Does it allow you to connect the computer's music output AND a microphone? If so, you are good.

Everything else can be added on as extras when it can be afforded. However, I would start saving for a proper mixer that has a usb interface and effects like the one lonman suggested ASAP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:34 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
jclaydon wrote:
something to remember

"opinions are like buttholes, we all have one and they all stink"
Not if you use this...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:05 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 629 times
bazinga wrote:
The Bose L1 with ToneMatch would be the closest thing to having a speaker with "semi" built in mixer

Don't agree. The ToneMatch is a separate, stand alone digital mixer, and an excellent one at that....nothing built in about it...it could be used with any PA system.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:02 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 36 times
There are JBL, Fender, Peavey ect. PA's in the $400 dollar range that would be better than 99.9% of the 'consumer' karaoke systems.