KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Any new LEGAL library options? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:42 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Hey folks...longtime ex-host here. I got out about 1 1/2 ago...when I left I sold all of my equipment and legal library to another host. My old place wants me back and they are willing to buy the equipment....I've informed them that we need a legal library so we'll see if they are also willing to pull the trigger on that.

I'm wondering if there are any new legal options (streaming, etc?) out there that I'm not aware of. I know they could purchase a Soundchoice library (the preferred library at this location) but I also know if it's JUST that, it will be rather small. I also know that Chartbuster was doing some stuff with streaming songs that was tied to that very horrible karaoke software justkaraoke (if I'm remembering that right) so that never really was an option for us at the time. I'm a Karma guy and probably always will be...

Any suggestions would be great....I wish Zoom would blow up the karaoke library world because everything I've heard from them is amazing!

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:17 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
The Sound Choice GEM series is a great core - 6000 individual song titles & they can finance.

The Cloud is a subscription - $99 per month for I believe something like 12000 songs available - downside, you don't keep the songs, however for a way to at least get going might be an option. Internet connection required to stream.

The Cloud also sells individual downloads - internet connection required.

All Star sells both downloads & custom discs as well. You can often buy pre-paid cards that will get the pricing per song down to $.44 per song.

Selectkaraoke.com also sell individual downloads (or custom discs if you want physical media) - internet connection required.

Pop Hits Monthly has a deal going on right now that would fill gaps from the last 6 years (08-13) that the GEM left off - although the last year or two wasn't worth spit. ($900)

These are just a few options.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:19 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
djdawg wrote:
Hey folks...longtime ex-host here. I got out about 1 1/2 ago...when I left I sold all of my equipment and legal library to another host. My old place wants me back and they are willing to buy the equipment....I've informed them that we need a legal library so we'll see if they are also willing to pull the trigger on that.

I'm wondering if there are any new legal options (streaming, etc?) out there that I'm not aware of. I know they could purchase a Soundchoice library (the preferred library at this location) but I also know if it's JUST that, it will be rather small. I also know that Chartbuster was doing some stuff with streaming songs that was tied to that very horrible karaoke software justkaraoke (if I'm remembering that right) so that never really was an option for us at the time. I'm a Karma guy and probably always will be...

Any suggestions would be great....I wish Zoom would blow up the karaoke library world because everything I've heard from them is amazing!

Karma is a resource hog and the support is iffy if you catch him on a good day. JustKaraoke is an excellent program, just a step below Compuhost in my opinion. Chartbuster became Digitrax and the karaoke cloud which is a legal streaming service that contains several brands of songs. They use Karaoki and Compuhost V2. Compuhost V2 has the choice of the same library that $99 a month would give you but you get to keep what you play for as long as you have it. Combined with the GEM series you get a lot of songs for cheap. I would go Compuhost and MyKJMediaPro so I know for a fact that the songs my credits purchased will be there and not worry if you miss a payment for the Cloud service if I were to choose to go the "you get what you pay for" attitude that most will tell you. If I were starting out personally I would choose JustKaraoke because of cost.
The program alongside their kiosk software would cost you less than what Compuhost cost for just Compuhost alone, leave out the kiosk for compuhost and you would only be $50 over the cost of JustKaraoke and it's kiosk together. Add to that the fact that you have access to a download store of over 80,000 songs which is more than the cloud offers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:35 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Thanks guys....appreciate your help.

I had a buddy just tell me about karaoke cloud..is that the same one that you're referring to Lonman? He said that it satisfies the KIAA and he's very familiar with all the legal crap that's going on. Of course I'll have to play bumper music from an alternative source but I guess that's ok.

Thanks for your thoughts Danny....software is so personal....what works for one doesn't for the other. I've used Karma so long and have never had an issue with it one bit. I love the simplicity, the ease where I can go from bumper music to karaoke...it's perfect for me. But if I use the Karaoke Cloud then maybe I could still use karma to play bumper stuff. I really disliked justkaraoke but I understand there was a major update? So maybe it's better now....but thanks for your thoughts....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:36 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
Karaoki isn't bad, but it does hang up every so often, when trying to load a song. And while a song is playing, you can't do anything else within the program.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:16 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Smoothedge69 wrote:
Karaoki isn't bad, but it does hang up every so often, when trying to load a song. And while a song is playing, you can't do anything else within the program.

So it looks like PCDJ Karaoki is a software version that works with the Karaoke Cloud streaming service? Is that right?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:33 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Smoothedge69 wrote:
Quote:
DannyG wrote "Karma is a resource hog and the support is iffy if you catch him on a good day."
Smoothe I can't believe that you would be OK with a program that hangs up every so often, and DannyG, Karma has been flawless ever since January 2011 and even on an old computer uses only 8-10% CPU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 99 times
djdawg wrote:
Smoothedge69 wrote:

So it looks like PCDJ Karaoki is a software version that works with the Karaoke Cloud streaming service? Is that right?

I use the Karaoki from PCDJ now but wish I had started with better. But you do not have to be online to use it you can download the whole collection before your first show then you only have to go online to re-up once a month and download new songs. The newer pcjd karaoke software is more stable but not prefect. Go to there site http://www.karaokecloudpro.com/ and you can see what will work with it. I would get Sound Choice too if you find the money. I don't have hang ups.

Last edited by Kirks Karaoke on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:06 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
mrmarog wrote:
Smoothedge69 wrote:
Quote:
DannyG wrote "Karma is a resource hog and the support is iffy if you catch him on a good day."
Smoothe I can't believe that you would be OK with a program that hangs up every so often, and DannyG, Karma has been flawless ever since January 2011 and even on an old computer uses only 8-10% CPU

I'm not ok with it, but I have had more important things to buy instead of a new program. I will, eventually. I will probably go with Karma, unless they fix Karaoki. They have been working on it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Alan: I can't believe you're not recommending CompuHost! After all, it's the best karaoke hosting program you can get period!
Alan: I know, but I'm going to stay out of it this time. They'll just have to find out for themselves.
Alan: Wow, I'm amazed! Is this the new you?
Alan: I doubt it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:55 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
While many sites may be licensed to download TO YOU, there is no license available that a site can offer for usage as a basis in a karaoke show.

Even Gretchen at DigiTrax will tell you that.

I would strongly suggest ripping manufactures' discs, because I believe that- thanks to a certain mouthy, noisy, failed karaoke producer, the publishers/owners will be more involved with karaoke in a relatively short time.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. However, if I'm right, you will want that manufacturers' media on hand. Just MHO.

BTW- Legal ownership of downloaded tracks is going to be mighty hard to prove when folks like DigiTrax refuse to provide an itemized ( each track listed) receipt with each purchase. I know why they don't, but after several weeks, still waiting for Gretchen to either explain or rectify.

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:13 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
JoeChartreuse wrote:
While many sites may be licensed to download TO YOU, there is no license available that a site can offer for usage as a basis in a karaoke show.

I believe Grethen has stated that all downloads from the Cloud are authorized for kj's in karaoke shows. No i'm too tired to go search for the exact quote, but it was said at one point.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:02 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

JoeChartreuse wrote:
BTW- Legal ownership of downloaded tracks is going to be mighty hard to prove when folks like DigiTrax refuse to provide an itemized ( each track listed) receipt with each purchase. I know why they don't, but after several weeks, still waiting for Gretchen to either explain or rectify.

This is why I will never buy another download from DigiTrax.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:13 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
Tricerasoft has a collection of "Starter Packs" that can be downloaded -

http://www.tricerasoft.com/cgi-bin/Kara ... arters.asp

-Chris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:22 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
www.karaoke-version.com told me they will sell large blocks of songs at an added discount rate. I can't remember the details.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:40 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

So I wrote to Karaoke cloud and got some answers back. The $9.99 a month streaming version (you play through your web browser) is for home use only. The version you have to use for shows is $99.99 a month not including cost for whatever software you choose. It's not a streaming service but the songs get downloaded to your computer and they remain there on your computer until you quit the service or your card gets declined - then they magically disappear...But I guess you don't technically own them.

Yikes... $1200 a year for that. I spoke with Tricia... apparently karaoke cloud is Digitrax.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:25 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
djdawg wrote:
So I wrote to Karaoke cloud and got some answers back. The $9.99 a month streaming version (you play through your web browser) is for home use only. The version you have to use for shows is $99.99 a month not including cost for whatever software you choose. It's not a streaming service but the songs get downloaded to your computer and they remain there on your computer until you quit the service or your card gets declined - then they magically disappear...But I guess you don't technically own them.

Yikes... $1200 a year for that. I spoke with Tricia... apparently karaoke cloud is Digitrax.
And don't forget, there's the Karaokle Cloud for digital Downloads that you own (not lease for a monthly fee) at the cost of $1.99 per track, or their monthly release specials at $$14.99 for 10 tracks .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:17 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

djdawg wrote:

In my opinion, the cloud is not going to be around very long. Who in their right mind would pay 1200 dollars a year with nothing to show for it. You're renting, not owning. But hey, if that's how you want to throw your money away, go right ahead. That $1200 can buy a lot of CD's that you will own forever.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:53 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 92 times
This is what Lonman referenced...

http://karaokescene.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=27416&p=355951&hilit=are+downloads+legal#p355951

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:20 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
Lonman wrote:
JoeChartreuse wrote:

I believe Grethen has stated that all downloads from the Cloud are authorized for kj's in karaoke shows. No i'm too tired to go search for the exact quote, but it was said at one point.

Digi-Trax's product is licensed for download to KJs, but how the KJs USE the product is the responsibility of the KJs.

DigiTrax is only authorizing the use of THEIR product- meaning THEY won't bother you if you use it as abasis for a show- but they are not and cannot LICENSE that use. Only the publishers/owners can do that. Even Jim will tell you that no such blanket licensing exists at this time, though any given publisher/owner is free to grant it for individual songs at the request of the KJ.

If said KJ wanted to license each and every individual track for USAGE, it would extremely time consuming, and possibly quite costly- assuming the owner isn't giving away licenses for usage for free.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND: I have no bone to pick with DigiTrax, and nothing lost or invested in the Cloud. I'm just passing on information that some KJs might find useful in regard to their businesses. I don't care who does what in regard to the Cloud.

" Disc based and loving it..."