KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - CompuHost V2 Users? Reviews? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:19 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
I read the introductory reviews of CompuHost V2 from some of you guys, but wanted to know after you've been using it for a few months now, do you think it was worth the $$$?

They are offering "one last" $79.99 promotional rate for current CompuHost V1 users, but looking through the new features, I'm on the fence as to whether or not to upgrade.

Thanks for your input!!

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:29 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 204 times
Found it to be less stable than the last version of V1.

They removed functions that I utilized every show.

Start up is now much, much slower (probably due to the new media player functionality).

The "themes" are simply irrelevant and useless in my opinion. The interface still seems outdated though, it has always been adequate to the task.

I mentioned (on their forums) that editing a song selection in the singer's queue, such as changing the track to a preferred mfr, causes CH to crash. Someone else mentioned that they had opened a support ticket on the same issue. I'm not sure if this has been resolved. I work around it by adding instead of editing the track. I have to watch for key changes.

I will continue to use CH V2 with the kiosk and hope that they return the previous functionality.

In the meantime, I am going to begin to re-evaluate competitive hosting software.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:07 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Less stable than version 1. It seriously has issues. This has been covered on the CompuHost forum, so if you're interested, go there. I have always been CompuHosts biggest fan however version 2 was a real let down. Features and options from version 1 have been omitted in version 2. PC's that were able to run version 1 with no problem, have a hard time running version 2. And we're talking about state-of-the-art loaded PC's. Just too many problems. At this time, I would stay with version 1.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:28 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 4 times
I wanted to cash in on the limited time cheaper upgrade, but I was waiting for news like this. Seems like it's not worth the $20 in savings. Good to know.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:41 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 126 times
I must be lucky. Have been running v2 for about 3 weeks on 2 different computers with little to no problems. Love the normalization function and being able to play cd's from the laptop.
The cd's load a little slow(not as fast a reg cd player) but still pretty decent. Haven't really had a chance to check out everything else but will soon and let everyone know the deal.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:20 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 610 times
michaeldiapers wrote:
I wanted to cash in on the limited time cheaper upgrade, but I was waiting for news like this. Seems like it's not worth the $20 in savings. Good to know.

My thoughts exactly. It's worth $20 to wait a year for the kinks to get worked out. V1 works just fine for me and there is no "must have" feature I cant live without.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:21 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
I am sure they will get the bugs worked out. Looks like they seriously need to expand their beta program but it is what it is today. If I used v1 I'd bank on them getting it fixed and I'd go ahead and purchase the upgrade at the better price but wait for the bugs to be fixed before installing it on a production machine.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:33 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
MrBoo wrote:
I am sure they will get the bugs worked out. Looks like they seriously need to expand their beta program but it is what it is today. If I used v1 I'd bank on them getting it fixed and I'd go ahead and purchase the upgrade at the better price but wait for the bugs to be fixed before installing it on a production machine.

CompuHost support says that Version 2 has been field tested for at least a year before it's release. If that's the case, these so called testers must be morons. There's no excuse for CompuHost to have so many issues and problems after a year of testing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:02 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
Of course I have nothing to do with Compuhost and have never even used it so I don't want to seem like I am taking up for them. Being someone who has written lots of production code, it's my experience that it isn't "how long" it's tested but "how many". Sadly, many companies are releasing software that is buggy and relying on early release customers to do what should have been done at beta.

Anyway, the main point I wanted to make is they will probably solve the issues so buying early may save some people some money.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:10 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 53 times
The latest release 2.00.31 works without problems for me. I had a lot of issues being one of the early birds... lol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:31 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
Eh, $20.00 isn't that much of an incentive for me to upgrade to a buggy software. I'll just hold off for a few more version updates.

Thanks for the input!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:25 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 180 times
here are the fixes in the latest revision:

Changes in this revision (v.2.00.31)...

ADDED - Ability to disable theme support. This may dramatically improve performance on older, lower performance or otherwise less capable computers. (Main Menu->System Devices and Options->System Performance->Disable Theme Support)

ISSUE - (Promo-Trailer) Unable to delete saved Promo-Trailer messages. -FIXED-

ISSUE - (Auto-Play Controller) Occasional lockups on certain/select system configurations. -FIXED-

ISSUE - (System Information) "CPU MAKE" did not display complete CPU description. -FIXED-

ISSUE - (Onscreen Lyrics) Lyrics swipes seemed choppy on select song selections. -FIXED-

ISSUE - (Edit Song Requests) Occasional lockups when attempting to EDIT existing song requests in queue. -FIXED-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:09 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

After updating to the latest revision of V2, I have to say that the functionality issue has been addressed.

No more crashing while editing the song selection.

I shut off the "theme support" and now the software loads just about as fast as it did in V1.

Now, if I could convince them to give back the random song selection and the ability to view the singers' entire history during the song selection, I would would be very happy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 180 times
MtnKaraoke wrote:
After updating to the latest revision of V2, I have to say that the functionality issue has been addressed.

No more crashing while editing the song selection.

I shut off the "theme support" and now the software loads just about as fast as it did in V1.

Now, if I could convince them to give back the random song selection and the ability to view the singers' entire history during the song selection, I would would be very happy.

if you send them a support inquiry they will tell you how to turn it back on.....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:56 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I am still hoping for a version of the kiosk software to run on android. I would love to have tablet digital books, but a windows based tablet is too damn expensive to risk it. If there was an android version, you could run it on a low end tablet or maybe even an e-reader.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:45 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

mightywiz wrote:
if you send them a support inquiry they will tell you how to turn it back on.....

I did, and they did. :D

Something else I noticed, and I did send a support inquiry...

On the main screen where displays the performer's name, I have always left all lines blank except for <performer name> and the 5th line of text, below the performer's name, where I have the words "it's your turn" displayed there is now a problem with the position and font size of that 5th line.

The text has been pushed too low and now the bottom of the letters are truncated.

CompuHost support basically said that's how it is and we can't fix it. I am disappointed because this simply was not an issue before V2.

My work-around will be to re-create my main screen graphic(s) to include my own line of text below the performer's name.

oh well... my other "issues" have been resolved and I have had no problems since the latest update to V2... karaoke on!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:00 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 53 times
Would you mind sharing what one has to do to achieve getting the old window back?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:42 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 146 times
MtnKaraoke wrote:
mightywiz wrote:

I did, and they did. :D

Something else I noticed, and I did send a support inquiry...

On the main screen where displays the performer's name, I have always left all lines blank except for <performer name> and the 5th line of text, below the performer's name, where I have the words "it's your turn" displayed there is now a problem with the position and font size of that 5th line.

The text has been pushed too low and now the bottom of the letters are truncated.

CompuHost support basically said that's how it is and we can't fix it. I am disappointed because this simply was not an issue before V2.

My work-around will be to re-create my main screen graphic(s) to include my own line of text below the performer's name.

oh well... my other "issues" have been resolved and I have had no problems since the latest update to V2... karaoke on!!

I broke down and bought the upgrade. I've made my own custom screens with my logo and some bar logos on them. Threw off the text lines so I had to play around with them to have then not cover up logos. Just took a little time and patience.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:14 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 4 times
Got the update a couple of weeks ago. Used it that night, it was very glitchy, and wouldn't play music videos. Restored it back to V1 less than two hours into the show. Extremely disappointed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:04 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
The newest version fixed most of the bugs I had noticed, and I think for the media player function the upgrade is invaluable. I can actually play customer discs now, which is a huge plus over V.1