KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Goodbye to New Owners Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Goodbye to New Owners
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:45 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
As of March 1, 2012 the pub that I have done 2 shows a week for 2 3/4 years, has changed hands. The new owners have done their very best to ignore us and make us feel completely unappreciated. This Saturday will be our 275th show and probably will be our last. The new owners have repeatedly told me that extensive remodeling is going to start on 4 different occasions and all have passed without even 1 hammer having been swung. I have pressed them for an exact date for the remodeling and they just won't commit.

Last night I laid down my plans of taking off from April 22 to June 2, so they can remodel during that time. Their response was "you cannot leave for that long without finding a replacement during your absence". I responded with "Hire who you want and if you like them....keep 'em". Boy did that ever change their attitude! They could not believe that we would walk away that easily.

The last 2 3/4 years of doing shows has been an almost magical experience for all that attend our shows. We have had over 450 different singer grace the stage, and countless hundreds of listeners/dancers as well. That will be hard to walk away from, but the scowling from the new owners is impossible to overcome. They have now come around and said "maybe your attitude about cming back will change after your time off". The problem is not my attitude, it is theirs.

My hard work and investment is HUGE. I have close to 5000 cd's, very nice equipment with backups for almost every piece. During the 2 3/4 years of doing 275 shows I have never been even 1 minute late to start my show, never had a interuption of my show (other than having to reboot Karma...which has now been flawless). We all know that karaoke is a very special way to make a living and/or pass the day away. To let that come to an end is a difficult decision. The great feeling I used to have at the end my shows is not there anymore.

Hmmmmmmm

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:34 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 4 times
just my .02 but maybe this "The problem is not my attitude, it is theirs." is really this "The problem is not their attitude, it is mine."

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:07 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
@mrmarog - I think I understand how you feel. My first gig was supposed to be a 4 week trial. That turned into an 86 week run. We had some ups and down going from 1 night a week to 2 nights a week then back to one. The bar was shut down for a month once for over serving even. But we kept the show there. The owner never really liked having karaoke and never lifted a finger to promote it. When I finally went to the owner near the end of the run and explained that since the very first show I had lost more money than I ever made and that we needed to add more nights and he needed to help promote things, the owner simply said no deal. So I made the painful decision to kill the show. Of course at the same time I picked up the new gig which is making me money and the owners are great. It just sucks to have given up that first ever, long running gig because an owner didn't appreciate what we were doing for them.

I wish you the best in finding another show!

-Chris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:57 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 48 times
Hey mrmorag
...Just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear of your loss of a well established gig. After 14 years of being around the business and seeing this happen, sometimes it's a blessing in disguise. Personally, in my time here, I've found you to be nothing less than a gentleman and very helpful and thankful person to many.

....Bad attitude? Seriously?....and that's my .02

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:12 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
I'm sure you won't have any problems finding a gig... your loyal singers will certainly help you do that. And there is no reason for a venue to treat the KJ as though they are a persona non grata... especially when the KJ makes them money.

There is a sign at the employee entrance of a large banquet facility here that reads:

WE ARE LADIES AND GENTLEMEN SERVING LADIES AND GENTLEMEN

which means that the staff doesn't have to accept being treated like dirt from any customer... for any reason because the management will always back them up. It actually makes for a much happier group of workers that know they are all on the same level.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:40 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
I lost a club in a similar situatuation. We were doing great, bringing in $3000 nights regularly, then new owners came in though they could save money with the karaoke 0 they went from $3000 to $200 night - my friend was the bartender so I got all numbers. They called me back a few weeks later and asked for me back, however they couldn't pay my new price (they canned me once, wasn't going to let them do it again). They are no longer in business.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:38 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
Just an FYI, I have learned my lesson about resisting change. As an example, I have a new bar owner at one of my bars. I went in there during the day and told her that I look forward to working with her every step of the way and am very much open to and welcome any ideas and input.

Worked perfectly. She loves me!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:26 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Thank you all for your kind words and support. One thing I have learned in my 61 years, is that life is too short and passes by too quickly to do things that don't bring you happiness. Tomorrow night will be my last show in all probability, and I will remove my speakers, cabling, and 46" LCD TV. Even if they talk me in to coming back in June, I am not going to let my competition use my equipment in the mean time.

The part that really bothers me is that I gave them the name of a good friend of mine that does shows at "smoky clubs" ie; DAV, Elks, Moose, VFW, etc., and he is no threat because 95% of all my customers will not go to a smoking establishment. I also would have let him use my equipment. He is a ODB and runs a very effecient show.

Nothing really makes sense especially since I have been very successful at consistantly filling the 96 seat house with eaters and drinkers, and have cleaned the the place of non-spenders.

Thanks again
Mrmarog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:29 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

@mrmarog - Interested in moving to Seattle? I could use a partner! :)

-Chris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:37 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

chrisavis wrote:
@mrmarog - Interested in moving to Seattle? I could use a partner! :)

-Chris

Why would he trade sunny warm Florida for cold, rainy Seattle.... home of the $4.00 coffee?

Ever thought of moving to Florida?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:51 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

@ Chrisavis: Well, thank you very much. From what I have gathered from your style, it would probably be a great team. We have a house in Northern Ca, but I don't think the drive from there to your area would work.

Thank you Chris, you have made my day. :D :D

Last edited by mrmarog on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:02 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

@Chip: Yes, Florida is quite nice and my area has the added advantage of a huge "Boomer" population, which is the latest influx of retirees. I'm a boomer and playing the music that my boomer crowd likes to sing is music to my ears. It also greatly reduces the need for new music. The one drawback to boomers is that they like a nice enviroment (country club style), and their are not a lot of places like that doing karaoke on a regular basis.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:10 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

$4.00???? I wish coffee was that cheap! :)

And yes.....I have considered Florida. The mother-in-law lives there (Melbourne), I have a good friend in Hernando Beach, and no state income tax. Plus I am getting old so I could just move now and be all set for retirement....

-Chris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:49 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

chrisavis wrote:
$4.00???? I wish coffee was that cheap! :)

It is – you just have to make it yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:10 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
mrmarog wrote:
@Chip: Yes, Florida is quite nice and my area has the added advantage of a huge "Boomer" population, which is the latest influx of retirees. I'm a boomer and playing the music that my boomer crowd likes to sing is music to my ears. It also greatly reduces the need for new music. The one drawback to boomers is that they like a nice enviroment (country club style), and their are not a lot of places like that doing karaoke on a regular basis.

I like your style.......Boomers created karaoke especially for Boomers.........and don't you young singers ever forget that....... :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:02 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 146 times
DJCC wrote:
just my .02 but maybe this "The problem is not my attitude, it is theirs." is really this "The problem is not their attitude, it is mine."

Really? From a newbie? Insulting and uncalled for. I saw nothing in the post that warranted that comment.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:10 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Thanks Ripman and fellow Iowan (grew up in Waverly and worked for Deere in Waterloo). Sometimes I fly into Moline and I'd like to stop in and see 1 of your shows.

Last edited by mrmarog on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:09 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 53 times
I am sorry to hear that mrmarog. I've known you for a while now here on the forums and I'm convinced you are a good person, trying to do the best to create the best show you can. It's really sad that new owners don't get the easy concept of running things they have been running before until they get the whole picture and THEN do changes where necessary. Most of them just come in and rampage the place because they know it all so better! People (regulars) just don't like drastic changes, even if they're good sometimes.
I'm sure with the kind of following you have you will be able to find something new soon, maybe even in a better/nicer venue!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:04 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 180 times
Sorry to hear that the new owners are treating you that way mrmarog. From reading your posts on here I believe you really care about putting on a good show for your singers. But if you are not happy I think you made the right decision. In the end I think the new owners are the ones that will regret thier decision.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:50 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
Mmarog, I understand how you feel. Work enough time in a great place, and it feels like a second- very happy- home. Losing it is tough..

I too am a boomer, and specialize in higher end restaurant bars/lounges- comfortable for boomers and the younger folks as well. I think you will find many such places are open to giving karaoke a try if marketed properly.

Yup, I still do a couple of dives too, but they are fun in their own way as well.

Either way, I KNOW you will have no trouble finding a happy replacement. Go get 'em! :D

" Disc based and loving it..."