KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Original DK Karaoke set 1-99 for sale. Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Classified Ads Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:29 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
I have Original version of DK karaoke 1-99 set and trying to figure out how much I should sell them for.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:22 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
I have seen prices from $500 to $1500 in the last two years.

My best guess the most you will have an easy sale at $300. You will sit on it at $500. Anything over $500 you will have a very hard time selling them.

There just isn't a market my guess is that 65% of host or better are just downloading their music.

The 35% of the legal people have been at it for some time and are going to own this set. You hope of a potential buyer is a legal host wanting to add another system or someone busted that wants to turn legal.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:28 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

I'd start your auction at $900. It should sell. If it doesn't sell, list them individually at $10 apiece, or just relist it. You'll easily get $20 each for the ones in the 90-99 range. There's no reason to give your DK's away for $300.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:37 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 46 times
Wish I had an extra $500 sitting around. I personally can't stand that flute, but so many of you sing it's praises, that it would probably be worth getting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:22 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 92 times
I hate the flute as well, but I thought somebody told me once that the originals didn't have it?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:02 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 46 times
BigJer @ Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:22 pm wrote:
I hate the flute as well, but I thought somebody told me once that the originals didn't have it?

Wouldn't that be sweet?
But I don't think I've ever heard that. Can anyone confirm?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:42 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
unfortunately they do have the flute.
wish i had the extra money, i know that is going to be my hardest thing to find as i try to build library #2........trade for a cat or 2? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:38 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
DK's 1-99: Great instrumentation and arrangement, but hate Zamfir playing flute on the background. :lol:

Some songs were also recorded not in the original key but rather at a much lower key i.e., "Hey Jude", "Footloose", "Waiting For A Girl Like You", etc.

I was told that the reason for this is to accommodate singers with less vocal range than the the original singers. Plus, at the time, there were no machine that can do the key transpose to down one or up two step. I don't know how true. Maybe you guys know the real reason.

Could be true. DKs made by Daiichikosho Co., Ltd, Japan founded in 1973.

By the way, this is in no way trying to discredit DK's. Lots of later songs were actually on key and on spot. Love "Carry On Wayward Son", "Sultans of Swing" and many others.

Silverdj1 - I agree with lehidude. Sell it a ebay with a starting price of $900. I paid $1,700 for my set. The set is a collector's item. A must for a starting KJ.
I hope you get a good price for them. Good luck!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:55 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

lyquiddye @ Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:22 pm wrote:

My best guess the most you will have an easy sale at $300. You will sit on it at $500. Anything over $500 you will have a very hard time selling them.

There just isn't a market my guess is that 65% of host or better are just downloading their music.

The 35% of the legal people have been at it for some time and are going to own this set. You hope of a potential buyer is a legal host wanting to add another system or someone busted that wants to turn legal.

If they can be downloaded for free, there's nobody to go after them. DK is kaput. Therefore, the value of the discs is negligible. Unless someone else owns the rights to the DK songs. Just saying that if someone is afraid of being illegal, DK is one manu that can't go after you.

I don't really care for them anyway, because of the flute thing, although some of their songs are pretty good otherwise.

What I'm getting at is I don't think the set is really worth that much, except to a collector. I have about 2/3 of it, but rarely use any of the songs. I do have one singer that always requests the DK version of any song he sings, but only because he's never heard the SC version before. I'm trying to convert him :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:39 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
masterblaster @ Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:55 am wrote:
What I'm getting at is I don't think the set is really worth that much, except to a collector. I have about 2/3 of it, but rarely use any of the songs. I do have one singer that always requests the DK version of any song he sings, but only because he's never heard the SC version before. I'm trying to convert him :)

Don't be so dismissive of him. Sound Choice is very good, and I would choose them about 70% of the time over DK. But DK has some outstanding tracks, and some of them are better than the Sound Choice in my opinion. And for poorer singers, you could argue that they are better a lot of the time because they are easier to sing to. And no, I don't just mean the pan flute, either. Sound Choice is often accurate to the point of being difficult to sing with. A fuller instrumentation, as DK often has, is easier to deal with.

The key changes do tend to tick off better singers who know what key they are in. 8-) But they mostly affect songs that are rarely sung (sometimes because they are unsingable in their proper key). One I know about is Folsom Prison Blues up one, which helps the vast majority of men.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:20 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Brian A @ Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:38 pm wrote:
I was told that the reason for this is to accommodate singers with less vocal range than the the original singers. Plus, at the time, there were no machine that can do the key transpose to down one or up two step. I don't know how true. Maybe you guys know the real reason.
That is true - that they were recorded in usually lower keys to accomodate more singers - but not due to no key changers. The marketing director of the USA company used to frequent the JOLT forum before his death.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:22 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
masterblaster @ Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:55 am wrote:
lyquiddye @ Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:22 pm wrote:

If they can be downloaded for free, there's nobody to go after them. DK is kaput. Therefore, the value of the discs is negligible. Unless someone else owns the rights to the DK songs. Just saying that if someone is afraid of being illegal, DK is one manu that can't go after you.

The manufacturer is very much alive and well in Japan, they just do not create discs or equipment for USA anymore. I do know that DK had sold their library to Song Factory a while back. Whether that entity still exists or not is another thing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:45 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 33 times
Yah you're right Lonman. Alive and kicking well with some hot looking jukebox technology.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:02 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 118 times
I sold two sets of original DK 1-99 discs in the last year for $1500 and $1550, respectively.

Don't sell yourself short. It took a week for each.

Birdofsong

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:13 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 294 times
The Sound Choice affiliate in Australia has DK songs available in their custom library. I don't know the ins and outs of who owns the licensing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:08 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
OOOOOOW,
This recession.
I don't even want them
but I would pay $500 for them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:18 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
diafel @ Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:37 pm wrote:
Wish I had an extra $500 sitting around. I personally can't stand that flute, but so many of you sing it's praises, that it would probably be worth getting.

Point of interest. DK were the gold standard before SC out marketed them. Why? They were the ONLY company that made top quality tracks with the amateur singer in mind.

The "flute"is buried by the vocals if the song is being sung in tune. In other words, if one hears the melody line, either the song is being song out of tune or is being over stylized. The melody line is there to HELP amateurs and newbies.

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:15 pm 

i AM LOOKING FOR 6 DISC'S FROM THE ORIGINAL 1-99. IF YOU DECIDE TO SELL INDIVIDUAL DISC'S I WOULD BE INTERESTED.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:14 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Which ones in particular are you looking for? I have some, but not the whole set. If they are ones I can do without, I might sell. I do use a couple of them somewhat regularly.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:49 pm 

I need 58, 93,96,97,98,99. If you have these let me know.