KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Best laptop kj program Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:53 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 15 times
PyrateSilly @ Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:28 am wrote:
Books or kiosk?
Give my husband a book everytime. He puruses the book and finds songs that he MIGHT know and will try for S & G's. I really can't tell you how many times he has just looked and said "close your eyes, open the book and just put your finger on one". Can't stand at a kiosk and look at it for most of the show nor can you do that with a kiosk.

Give us a book anytime. Perforably at least somewhat perfessionaly done. Somewhat able to look and go "ok thats the way it's ordered" just in case you want a certain artist or song. And just say "Don't bother with the book just ask I usually have it" very unprofessional IMO.

Well, you can't please all of the people all of the time. If I have seventy people who might want to sing at any given show and they all want to monopolize a book all night I would need seventy books. Seventy "professional" (whatever that means) books. If I buy some new songs, every one of those seventy books should be updated. How do you request a song if using a book? You have to fill out a form. A short form certainly but a form none the less. I hate filling out forms. Then you have to walk through a bar full of folks to turn in your form(s).

Updating a kiosk is instant and free. No forms to fill out. No handling errors if the kiosk drops your request into the rotation as some do.

If given a choice people will prefer to use the kiosks in my experience. Way back when I introduced kiosks at one gig. The first show a few people played with it. The second show there was a little more interest.... by the fourth week the books sat unused. If you just present the idea of a kiosk to your customers it's as if your asking "Do you want to use something you already understand and are comfortable with or go with another option you have never seen?" Who in their right brain would choose the second option? But, show them the other option and let them choose and I'm sure your results will be the same as mine. No more slips!

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:04 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Yes there are a couple who like to look through a book all night - I personally am one of them, sometimes song titles will jog my memory on something i've wanted to try, but 99% of the time if someone asks to look up a song the person with the book will give it up. I only use 16 books total and never have the hoarding problem. If someone can't find a book, I can usually point out one for them that isn't being used.
How do you request a song while using a book, well if a computer is being used, they can tell the host their song. If they aren't, then yes a form would need to be filled out - again my own preference, I always make people fill out a slip.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:20 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
To me, it's about what you're comfortable with but also about advancement. Let's say he wasn't a pirate and his software/equipment/song selection was simply better than yours. The club owner will surely consider that you've worked there for 4 years, but he may also think that you aren't providing the best service on the market (especially if you haven't changed anything in that time period). All businesses have to change to grow and stay competitive. Say you've had standard definition cable for 10 years and a new company offers HD cable to you for less than what you're paying now. Wouldn't you at least consider it, especially if they had references and were an established company? I would. Basically what I'm trying to say is that you avoided it this time, but will you avoid losing the gig (pirate or not) next time? I think that's what you're trying to do by posting on the forum. My advice is check out ALL of your competition and see what they are doing/using and what you could do better and what you are doing better. I spent a week just checking out my competition and was surprised to find that DJ's working in places I wouldn't touch could actually be viable threats to me if I didn't stay on top of my game. Stop being cheap too! Obviously we all want to keep as much profit as we can from our shows, but maybe you've gotten too comfortable there. I would bet it could only make the venue owner happier with you if you spent money you didn't have to and upgraded a little bit. My post may sound harsh, but it's nothing I wouldn't tell myself and it's the truth. I wish you luck!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:34 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
exweedfarmer @ Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:53 pm wrote:
Books or kiosk?
Give my husband a book everytime. He puruses the book and finds songs that he MIGHT know and will try for S & G's. I really can't tell you how many times he has just looked and said "close your eyes, open the book and just put your finger on one". Can't stand at a kiosk and look at it for most of the show nor can you do that with a kiosk.

Give us a book anytime. Perforably at least somewhat perfessionaly done. Somewhat able to look and go "ok thats the way it's ordered" just in case you want a certain artist or song. And just say "Don't bother with the book just ask I usually have it" very unprofessional IMO.

Well, you can't please all of the people all of the time. If I have seventy people who might want to sing at any given show and they all want to monopolize a book all night I would need seventy books. Seventy "professional" (whatever that means) books. If I buy some new songs, every one of those seventy books should be updated. How do you request a song if using a book? You have to fill out a form. A short form certainly but a form none the less. I hate filling out forms. Then you have to walk through a bar full of folks to turn in your form(s).

Updating a kiosk is instant and free. No forms to fill out. No handling errors if the kiosk drops your request into the rotation as some do.

If given a choice people will prefer to use the kiosks in my experience. Way back when I introduced kiosks at one gig. The first show a few people played with it. The second show there was a little more interest.... by the fourth week the books sat unused. If you just present the idea of a kiosk to your customers it's as if your asking "Do you want to use something you already understand and are comfortable with or go with another option you have never seen?" Who in their right brain would choose the second option? But, show them the other option and let them choose and I'm sure your results will be the same as mine. No more slips!

So what happens when a new person to karaoke comes in and doesn't know what you have would it be OK with you to let them sit in front your kiosk for 10 minutes or so going through your listing while others stand behind them waiting to use it?

Ever been to an drive through ATM where the guy in front of you wants to do everything the ATM has the capability of doing and then he decides he really doesn't need any money? Been there done that and felt like pushing his car out of the way.

I can see where kiosk's are easier, faster, cheaper for an experienced user but not everyone is computer savvy and it gets worse the more they drink (as shown on this board). What do you do if you kiosk decides to die in the middle of your show, pack up and leave? or do you have BOOKS to back you up?
I'll take books every time!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:50 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 15 times
Lone Wolf @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:34 am wrote:
exweedfarmer @ Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:53 pm wrote:
Books or kiosk?

So what happens when a new person to karaoke comes in and doesn't know what you have would it be OK with you to let them sit in front your kiosk for 10 minutes or so going through your listing while others stand behind them waiting to use it?

Ever been to an drive through ATM where the guy in front of you wants to do everything the ATM has the capability of doing and then he decides he really doesn't need any money? Been there done that and felt like pushing his car out of the way.

I can see where kiosk's are easier, faster, cheaper for an experienced user but not everyone is computer savvy and it gets worse the more they drink (as shown on this board). What do you do if you kiosk decides to die in the middle of your show, pack up and leave? or do you have BOOKS to back you up?
I'll take books every time!

If a kiosk dies I would just replace it and you can have more than one running at the same time. It doesn't have to be much of a computer to work as a kiosk. Except for the water balloon incident, none have ever died on me. Like I said, set up a kiosk and put out your books as usual. After a month the books will sit and get dusty. You and your customers will never like kiosks if you never try kiosks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 56 times
Alan B @ Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:43 pm wrote:
rumbolt @ Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:33 am wrote:
c. staley @ Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:32 am wrote:
How do you keep beer and other liquids off the kiosk

That's a good question. I would think kiosks would hold out better than song books. Song books are put on tables where the customers food and drinks are. It's easier to spill your drink at the table and onto your book. And what about everyone's greasy fingers from eating those wings now flipping through your book. Your monitor/kiosk has a much better chance of survival then song books handled and used by customers at their tables.

Also, eliminating books eliminates more stuff to carry. And printing is not cheap either. So...while customers may feel more comfortable with an actual physical book to look at...a kiosk does have a lot of benefits.

You might eliminate books you have to carry but don't you have to carry the kiosk, or does it walk in under it's own power (sorry had to go there)? :rotflmao: