KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Best laptop kj program Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:39 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
Alan B @ Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:20 pm wrote:
It may cost a little more then the others but you know, you get what you pay for. Both CompuHost and FastTracks Song Book Creator work hand in hand and FastTracks, is awesome as well. Compare it to the others such as Latshaws Songbook Creator, which is a joke. Anyway, thank you.

Latshaws Songbook Creator is not a hosting or ripping program it is simply just what it states, "Songbook Creator", and from what I've seen is the fastest "Songbook Creator" around, no having to check mark what discs you have (airwer) or having to connect to the net to get info (fastracks), it simply reads your hard drive.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:55 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Lone Wolf @ Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:39 am wrote:
It may cost a little more then the others but you know, you get what you pay for. Both CompuHost and FastTracks Song Book Creator work hand in hand and FastTracks, is awesome as well. Compare it to the others such as Latshaws Songbook Creator, which is a joke. Anyway, thank you.

Latshaws Songbook Creator is not a hosting or ripping program it is simply just what it states, "Songbook Creator", and from what I've seen is the fastest "Songbook Creator" around, no having to check mark what discs you have (airwer) or having to connect to the net to get info (fastracks), it simply reads your hard drive.

What are you talking about? Fasttracks does NOT need to be connected to the internet. If you're referring to the occasional autoupdate, by which the manufactures listings are updated, you're correct. But this only applies if you are disc based, and regularly buy newer discs that need to be cataloged. As for Latshaw reading the harddrive, so does Fasttracks, of course this feature would only be used by digital hosts, at least Fasttracks offers the choice, Latshaw doesn't!

tbreen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:34 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
The biggest advantage of Latshaw is that you can build your own book image simply by creating some file names on disk. They don't need to be the actual files themselves, they can be zero length.

I do this so that I can create a "dummy book" with only a partial listing of my songs. (It cuts down on printing costs, and keeps things simple for the casual singer.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:15 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Lone Wolf @ Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:39 am wrote:

Latshaws Songbook Creator is not a hosting or ripping program it is simply just what it states, "Songbook Creator"

I know that! Let me clear this up. You do NOT need CompuHost to own and use FastTracks Song Book Creator. It is a stand-alone program. But! If you also have CompuHost, then the two programs work together beautifully.

Now, you people are professionals...use professional products. Latshaw's Song Book Creator is not very professional. Maybe for home use, but even then I would get frustrated with it. Like I said, it's a joke:

1. You can't use a numbering system for your song book. Only mfr ID numbers like CB2005-12

2. You know...I was going to go on and on about what Latshaw's program CAN'T do but I won't do that. Compare them both for yourself and see.

My advice, if you're a pro...and you want the best, then it's software by Invicion.

And for what it's worth, I've tried just about every KJ software program there is. But!...Let me be clear. I'm not putting anybody down for using anything inferior. Bottom line is whatever works for you is cool. I'm just saying, If you want pro results, use pro software and that is CompuHost and FastTracks.

It's funny, you guys spend thousands of dollars on speakers, subwoofers, mixers, etc. to give you the best sound, not to mention the $$$ spent on your song library, so why skimp out on the software?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:23 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
Alan you said:
1. You can't use a numbering system for your song book. Only mfr ID numbers like CB2005-12

Why do you say this? you can put any number you want in the file name (which the program reads)

You can make the file name say anything you want by naming the file that way.

Example:
artist - song title - disc id (which is how i do mine)
or any of the above switched anyway you want.
If you wanted your own numbering system just replace the disc id with your number it's as simple as that.

I'm taking it that you don't own the full program to see just what you can really do with it.

You will notice I have not run down fast tracks or any other program as I do not own them and and am happy with what I have as it makes my books very professional looking.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:46 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Lone Wolf @ Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:23 am wrote:
Alan you said:

Why do you say this? you can put any number you want in the file name (which the program reads)

You can make the file name say anything you want by naming the file that way.

Example:
artist - song title - disc id (which is how i do mine)
or any of the above switched anyway you want.
If you wanted your own numbering system just replace the disc id with your number it's as simple as that.

I'm taking it that you don't own the full program to see just what you can really do with it.

You will notice I have not run down fast tracks or any other program as I do not own them and and am happy with what I have as it makes my books very professional looking.

I understand that you can replace the mfg ID number with your own numbers. Would be a lot of work for thousands of songs. What I'm saying is that Latshaw can not automatically generate song #'s for all your songs that you're making your book from. They don't have that option.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:37 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
Alan B @ Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:46 pm wrote:

I understand that you can replace the mfg ID number with your own numbers. Would be a lot of work for thousands of songs. What I'm saying is that Latshaw can not automatically generate song #'s for all your songs that you're making your book from. They don't have that option.

Boy, and I do appreciate that, Latshaw. Nothing I hate more than a versionless number.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:45 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Never see the need to BASH somone elses product just to make yours seem better... :roll:

I have 2 hosting programs one both my laptops
Latshaws karma
PCDJ Karaoki

If I'm doing more than 50% karaoke I use the KARMA if I'm doing more DJ and mixing I use the KARAOKI with PCDJ RED MOBILE.

There is NO BEST program .....PERIOD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:17 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

jamkaraoke @ Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:45 am wrote:
There is NO BEST program .....PERIOD

Based on the responses here when people are looking for advice on equipment, there IS a best. For example, when someone asks what is a good microphone, the majority of people will say the Shure SM58 is the best.

And when asking about Behringer mixers, everyone says Yamaha is better and Allen and Heath is the best.

And the list goes on and on. Now, whether you choose to "buy" the best is another story.

What makes me laugh is that everyone spends thousands of dollars on the "best" mixers, amps, microphones, speakers, etc. And lets not forget how much $$$ your karaoke library cost. So why in hell are people whimping out when it comes to the software? Who cares that it cost more money then the rest. Did you care when you bought the rest of your equipment?

Now, this is not bashing, but Compuhost IS the best karaoke software you can get. There is NO comparison. Use what you want, but there usually IS a best...or at least a much better.

On a side note, to jamkaraoke: Can you stop at the Hot Grill for me and pick up 2 all the way?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:27 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Alan B @ Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:17 pm wrote:
Now, this is not bashing, but Compuhost IS the best karaoke software you can get. There is NO comparison. Use what you want, but there usually IS a best...or at least a much better.

Coming from a guy that's eating Hot Grill over Johnny & Hanges. LOL.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:32 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
Books?

You mean you still use "printed paper?"

Wow..... Let's see here;

1. You buy the best equipment for your singers

2. You buy the best laptop for the job

3. You carefully select and purchase the best music for the singers in your area

4. You purchase the best (whatever that is) software to host with...

5. You still spend a gazillion dollars and another gazillion hours assembling printed paper books? With printed paper request slips and pencils?

That's why I use a kiosk.... "click, click" Book is updated. No paper, no assembly, no binders, no sleeves and best yet; no hours of assembly time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:07 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
c. staley @ Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:32 am wrote:
Books?

Wow..... Let's see here;

3. You carefully select and purchase the best music for the singers in your area

5. You still spend a gazillion dollars and another gazillion hours assembling printed paper books? With printed paper request slips and pencils?

That's why I use a kiosk.... "click, click" Book is updated. No paper, no assembly, no binders, no sleeves and best yet; no hours of assembly time.

And best yet, no paper book for the investigators to take on you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:33 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 56 times
Books?

Wow..... Let's see here;

I'd love to go paperless, hell I am in the middle of redoing my books as we speak. How do you keep beer and other liquids off the kiosk. My other concern is the level of intelligence some of my singers lack, they have a hard enough time with paper and pencel. I would like to learn more about your kiosk setup though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:21 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

I am also doing a re-do of books right now. Bless the two friends who have been insistent about helping me. I asked a sample group of singers (not all friends who sit together every show) whether they would prefer to peruse books or go to a kiosk to put in their songs. The concensus was that they prefer the books, so I am doing books. Spiral bound, no plastic, no dupes. Big chore but now I have had people ask me if I will sell copies of my book for their own use. Sounds like a deal to me - less books to actually print up and carry because they will have their own. Going to try this. If it doesn't work, well, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Binding by UPS or Kinkos (or whatever they're called now) is cheap, printing off a smaller book and having a few done at a time to replace worn out ones, etc., isn't that big a deal, really.

I use Hoster and can't compare it to any of the other programs, particularly Compuhost, but I will say that there is not one aspect of Hoster that causes me any consternation at all. It works well for me and I feel no need to change from it to anything else.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:43 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

rumbolt @ Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:33 am wrote:
How do you keep beer and other liquids off the kiosk

That's a good question. I would think kiosks would hold out better than song books. Song books are put on tables where the customers food and drinks are. It's easier to spill your drink at the table and onto your book. And what about everyone's greasy fingers from eating those wings now flipping through your book. Your monitor/kiosk has a much better chance of survival then song books handled and used by customers at their tables.

Also, eliminating books eliminates more stuff to carry. And printing is not cheap either. So...while customers may feel more comfortable with an actual physical book to look at...a kiosk does have a lot of benefits.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:22 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 15 times
So far as I know kiosks were my idea. That is to say mine was the first hosting software that included kiosks. The only one that died in all the time I was using them (longer than anyone else I think) was at an outdoor gig. They don't work well in the sunlight. It died from a direct hit from a water balloon. DON'T USE A LAPTOP FOR A KIOSK! Please forgive me for posting while drinking... heavily.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:30 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
jamkaraoke @ Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:45 am wrote:
Never see the need to BASH somone elses product just to make yours seem better... :roll:
I thin he means that listing a number that has no correlation to an manufacturing DiscID is basically no point in listing a number at all. I have the same complaint when I go to computerized shows that don't list any manu id or list several versions of a custom number.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:32 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Alan B @ Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:17 pm wrote:
What makes me laugh is that everyone spends thousands of dollars on the "best" mixers, amps, microphones, speakers, etc. And lets not forget how much $$$ your karaoke library cost. So why in hell are people whimping out when it comes to the software? Who cares that it cost more money then the rest. Did you care when you bought the rest of your equipment?
No laughing here, I buy the best I can in equipment AND library, if a song doesn't 'cut the mustard' I replace it with a better version - if available.

Quote:
I whole heartidly disagree with this, but to each their own!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:35 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

c. staley @ Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:32 pm wrote:
Books?

Only because this is what our singer want - even after a year of asking which they'd rather have, over 90% wants a book to browse through at their table. Not to say I don't want your program and already have the computer to run it, just waiting to afford the touch screen for that 10%. But I will never go bookless based on my own customer base!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:28 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 11 times
Books or kiosk?
Give my husband a book everytime. He puruses the book and finds songs that he MIGHT know and will try for S & G's. I really can't tell you how many times he has just looked and said "close your eyes, open the book and just put your finger on one". Can't stand at a kiosk and look at it for most of the show nor can you do that with a kiosk.

Give us a book anytime. Perforably at least somewhat perfessionaly done. Somewhat able to look and go "ok thats the way it's ordered" just in case you want a certain artist or song. And just say "Don't bother with the book just ask I usually have it" very unprofessional IMO.