KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Server Down - Slow access Administrative Announcements Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:11 am 
webmaster
webmaster

Been Liked: 122 times
Recently I received a few emails regarding the server being down or site offline.

Actually - it wasn't either. However apparently there were something amiss.

I sent an email to those that had inquired. To those that didn't here is what I said:
Quote:
I am uncertain of the glitch last night/early this morning - however I checked the system today and everything appears to be functioning. Normally when the site goes offline or server is down I receive an email & text message from the monitoring company. None received which leads me to believe that there may have been a network that was down.

I will see if I can locate any network issues from last night.

Thank you for advising me.

Happy New Year!
Here is what I have discovered...

Apparently there are serveral items:
1) there is a script that is caught in a loop. I will need to restart the server.
2) there has been a high access by webots/spiders from search engines that are updating and therefore doing a deep web search. This has slowed down the system.
3) I discovered a SPAMbot accessing the server attempting to use our mail server to send out well, SPAM...

It is currently 11:26 AM Eastern I will be restrating the server at 11:30 It may be offline for no more than 30 minutes - hopefully just a few minutes.

Thank you and again to everyone

[glow=coral]HAPPY NEW YEAR![/glow]

KJ / MC

services provided by:
CROSS WEB TECH

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:58 am 
webmaster
webmaster

Been Liked: 122 times
Server back online for me...

Down 20 minutes...

KJ / MC

services provided by:
CROSS WEB TECH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:31 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 8 times
So glad to see SS back up..  I was at karaoke Friday night and I was telling a singer about this site.  I hope she didn't try to get on until today. LOL ;)  Thanks, Phil.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:59 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
Back normal for this end I could have sworn it was your server down but couldnt even start a traceroute Really think it was a network repeater server down or heavy heavy traffic at that point..

A few days ago my php_sessions database crashed and luckily I had the whole phpbb database  backed up. In the c-panel and sqlAdmin I imported and was back online in a minute. On a heavy forum like this one I would recommend a daily backup..

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:16 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
weird thing for me was..

it was down all day Sat and I could do a tracert..

but it seemed like DNS problems on the last 2 hops of the tracert.. it took forever trying to resolve the IP with a server name..

tracert was successful just not browsing. and only to this site.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:27 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

yep it was down all day here also Cindi...and for an hour or so today also

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:35 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 47 times
Pssstttt..... Cindy?

You're doing that "looking way too smart" thingee again.

Just wanted to warn you, in case you wanted to slip your "clueless female" disguise on  before anyone else notices.   LMAO

Oh my gosh, all I know is that I finally got a weekend to spend some time in SS, and danged if I could log on all yesterday afternoon. I even cursed out my Firefox for a while (with some pretty flavorful phrases) , then reinstalled IE (thinking it was somehow just ME that couldn't get here)... then Odie emailed me saying "so, I guess you've realized SS and KS have been down most of the day?"  :no:  Could've asked him first I guess, before going all neurotic on my computer.

Anyhow, my post here is of absolutely NO relevance in this thread, so carry on smart ones... I'll just sit down and shut up and wait and hope you all figure it out so it doesn't keep happening. (it did again today... but only for about an hour or so)

I'm gonna go back to the flip side;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:51 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Yep, KS and SS were down for me both yesterday (Sat) and today - not sure about before that.

I did a tracert from my wireless notebook, but that didn't work well because I was behind a firewall and it freaked out even though it eventually resolved after going all over the country. I think that is just what it does when it fails through my firewall and nothing to do with KS.

Anyway, I did the same through a third party site and was able to quickly resolve trace within a few seconds. Pings seemed to work fine from my computer to KS and other sites. I then went to about 10 different proxy servers on the web to check access from there. I was thinking that would work because the traces and pings were getting to KS, but nope. All the proxy sites couldn't reach it either. So, at that point I just blew it off and figured you'd get it fixed someday and to just do something else.

Oh PS, I also ran 3 antivirus scans on my computer using different products just in case some virus / trojan on my comp was intercepting the site. (I guess I get a bit paranoid about security on the net.)

Glad you got it back on line Phil.

Happy New Year's to all of you!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:16 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

yep my first thought after finally being without proxy for first time in bout 4 months was...here we go again...so I reached for my proxy server again and still no go

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:39 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Yep, KS and SS could not be accessed Saturday afternoon and evening, PST.  Then around midnight I was able to get onto both but it was VERY slow in responding. Leaving a single SS comment took well over a minute to submit.  Then around 2:00PM PST on Sunday everything went down again, but it's obviously back up now!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:41 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

BlueStainedShoes @ Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:35 pm wrote:
Pssstttt..... Cindy?

You're doing that "looking way too smart" thingee again.

Just wanted to warn you, in case you wanted to slip your "clueless female" disguise on  before anyone else notices.   LMAO

:shock: OOOOPS lol thanks for lookin out for me Charmin lol :) It's Monday and I've come back to my senses ;) lol  :hug:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:54 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

I am finally now coming out of my KS withdrawals. It was a scary thing. They almost brought me to the hospital when I was typing in my dinner. Thank goodness the karaoke forum gods figured this out. This could have been a catastrophy of huge proportions. Kappy and I would have had to start a 12 step program before masses of people committed suicide. I have to admit it did help to sleep with my keyboard Saturday night. :D