KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - KJ's Do you ever Fake it....... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:23 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
When you get a gig in a bar with a bunch of really bad singers do you really ham it and sing your best, or do some of you try stuff you haven't done before, or things you know you can't do so you don't intimidate the singers.

Now be honest.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:49 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

That's a very good question!

I have had people come to me at shows and tell me that I sing too good and people don't want to follow that. I try to explain that I do several shows a week, plus the equipment lives at my house so I can practice if I want.

Often times when there is a small crowd, I'll throw on something "new" to me and explain that I'm trying something new to please forgive me if I louse it up. This way they get to hear a work in progress as opposed to a "polished piece."

Or, if there are no singers I'll become the HUMAN JUKEBOX and we play stump the KJ. I'll ask the patrons what they want to hear and then I try to sing it for them. 90% of the stuff they request I know or at least heard of, so I rarely have to turn down a request. However, the percentage of those requests that I know and sing well is much lower! It's usually a lot of fun fr the crowd, and as long as they stay and drink it's all good in the end!

However, I NEVER go in the tank and sing poorly on purpose. Even if it is a song I don't know well, I always give it my best shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:45 am 
To be honest.. I tend to like to try songs that i have not done before and that's lately. but i keep it in a genra that's acceptable to the club's clientelle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:11 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

If I come across that situation I would sing ..Fun sing-alongs type songs
that most can relate to and sing along with. I would never intimadate any singers on any night. One of the challanges of KJ'ing is to get up singing and having fun as many singers as you can ! I think some people will get
intimidated if they see too many excellant singers singing. That is until the A L C O H O L kicks in :D :D ThEN EVERYBODY WANTS TO SING
....SPECIALLY WHEN ITS CLSOING TIME :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:46 pm 

I just had my first gig last Tuesday. In the beginning the people were hesitant so I started threatening them. I said "I f you do not send Karaokeman new victims he will become angry and punish you by singing". People seemed to think this was funny (Drunk people are easy to entertain). People started to loosen up and by the end of the night every one found something they wanted to sing :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:31 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

If we have to be completely honest - here goes - if i've got a small crowd who don't do well singing, I'll never intentionally blow a song, but will try some new things that I think I can do. For that matter, I'll do the same thing if I've got a small crowd even if they're good. It's a lot easier to recover from making a fool of yourself in front of 4-6 people than 30 or 40. Now that we're being completely honest, guess I should admit that I really don't mind making a fool of myself no matter how many people are there. :withstupid: