KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Mackie SRM450 ? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mackie SRM450 ?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:09 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
Hi all

Looking at picking these powered speakers up for about 50% Karaoke use, 30% DJ and about 20% use for live instruments ( keyboard, amplified acoustic guitar ). These will be used for personal enjoyment..i.e. parties at home, friends cottage party etc etc...

Right now I have a Behringer Eurorack 1804 Mixer, Vocapro 8000 dual CD+G player and Seinhauser ( spelling ? ) mic with Shure 58 on way..

Any experience with these speakers ? How do they compare to the JBL EON's ? What about the Yorkvilles ?

Appreciate the great advice I get here as usual..

Ciao

Colin

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:56 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

My only comment is stay away from the vocopro 8000 and the behringer. My vocopro8000 lasted 20 shows and one deck went out naturally it was out of warranty, and i was told the same from others. and the behringer isnt as good as the mackie. the mackie is really user friendly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:38 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
We use a Berhinger 2004 for years and no problems. In fact I'm going to be picking up a 1204FX on Monday. As for powered speakers, Check out the Yorkville NX520's, 12"with horn, lighter, smaller and more powerful than the Mackies with as good if not better sound. They are also a lot cheaper around $1,800 Cdn, taxes in a pair, more or less. There is also a new series of speakers called the Opera Series by DB Technologies. The guy who designed them used to be with Mackie, the 12" goes for about $1,200 a pr plus tax, not sure about the 15". I was quoted that price yesterday by a dealer. I haven't heard them yet so just relying in the salesman about the sound. BTW we've dealt with this salesman for years so I have no doubt he's being truthful. Also regarding Yorkville, they probably have the best warranty out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:41 am 

Thanks Timberlea

FYI I lived in Halifax for a year and still travel there for work about every 4 weeks...do you run a show at a club there ?

OK..heard about the Yorkville and mentioned them to sales guy that is selling Mackies and he said that the Mackie blew them away and that the rating ( RMS ? ) was not properly used...i.e. diff set of specs and standard that was not "true" power..needless to say, I am a little confused...I will check them out however..seems like a better deal...also saw the DB you are talking about..

Thanks again...any more info is appreciated.

Colin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:54 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Hi Kid,
I use the Mackie C300's which are simply the unpowered version of the SRM450. I love them. I've never heard the Yorkvilles so I can't make a comparison there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:26 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Hey Kid next time you come down, email me. I posted our venues but they seemed to disappeared. Anyways at one venue on different nites you can actually compare the two units.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:22 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
My Behrenger 1804FX had a problem - the FX went byebye... but the mixer is still going strong. For a dj job my partner does on Thurs-Sat... it works just fine!

I recently upgraded to the Mackie 12 channel. LOVE it!! Haven't had too much time to play with it, but so far, it's a dream. I don't really care for the audio outs on it, but that's a personal preference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:34 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

A little drunk this weekend Matt? Or are you just so proud of your new mixer that you can't resist talking about it even when someone asks about speakers? :wink: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:29 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

lol! well, someone else mentioned the 1804 and I thought I saw the opportunity to mention the FX...

so nyahhhhhh!!! LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:20 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Matt you keep saying the FX package went down, so why didn't you just return it and have it replaced or repaired. I could be something silly as a loose wire. Did you like the unit before it went down?

Post subject: Back to Speakers !
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:04 pm 

Hey guys...I see we have started a discussion on Mixers...really, all it is doing is making me have doubts about buying that 1804..feel like I may have gotten a little ripped ( not really ) ...really hope to make the right speaker decision...

A little more background...I have an old Bryston 4B ( 220 W per side )..for those who don't know them they are nice power amps..new 4B's are about $ 2500.00 US each...nice clean power...originally I was just going to buy some passive speakers but the more and more I get into this I think the powered make sense...Am I right ?

Timberlea...is what the Mackie Sales guy said true about the Yorkvilles ( 520 ) ? The bit about true power etc...

Thanks again

Colin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:50 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
The Mackies are nice speakers but that's my opinion. I would recommend using a sub with them for a really nice full sound. I had the opportunity to do a comparison on a set of powered Yorkies (NX520P) & tested them agains the SRM450. The price on the Yorks were better, but I still thought the Mackies sounded crisper, cleaner & overall louder. The Yorks were decent otherwise.

The specs on the Mackies are overall better as well.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:54 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Tim, I tried. They ended up giving me the runaround.

You're right. it MIGHT be that simple. As I'm no electrician, i never wanted to crack open the case to fiddle around with it.

Other than that, I LOVED the mixer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:00 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

If your dealer wouldn't do anything for you, contact Behringer and find an authorized shop to fix it or ask Behringer themselves to replace it.

And Kid let me know the next time you're out this way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:23 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

what they told me is I'll have to pay for shipping to send it to them, and if they find the damage is my fault (which it wasn't, but who knows how they truly come to those decisions... obvious damage yes, but the unit looks brand new!)... then I'd have to pay for the repair and shipping BACK.

No thanks. Before I bought the Mackie, I did a lot of shopping around this time, and found 12 authorized service centers all within driving distance!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:11 am 

I went to the Guitar Center with the purpose of buying the JBL Eon 15 G2 because I will use these speakers not only for KJ and DJing but also for over all sound system (Guitar, keyboard, mic)in whatever size party you are having (i.e. small house party, bring only one speaker while bigger party, 2 speakers, huge party, add subwoofers). Remember that the JBL has its own mixer, EQ and 3 inputs.

Strange thing happened at the store as I was given a demo by the salesguy. JBL Eon 15 G2 vs. Mackie SRM450. Result: I picked up 2 SRM450s because it has better sound and more power (450 vs 400). You can use these speakers even if you are DJing of KJing with 300-400 people and the sound is "even" or thesame wherever you are in the room. In addition, this will work well with my Mackie DFX12 mixer.

Go to the Guitar Center or any store selling both speakers, ask for a demo and decide for yourself.