KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - I Need to Turn It Up!! Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:49 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Dr. D, I assume that you are recommending the Peavey SP2x. Those look look like they have some kick to them (1000 watts program, 2000 watts peak). I have checked quite a few web sites and I can't find them for anything less than $429. I have seen the Peavey TLS 2X for around $220 but this has only a 12" woofer and much lower wattage ratings. First, if you have seen the SP2x for $250, let me know where, they will get a buyer today. As for the SP2X, which brand of amp do you recommend, and how much kick should it have?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:23 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I bought mine locally and paid $500 for the pair. but it has been a while. I am using the Peavey pv-2600. I paid about $500 for it. I don't even know what the retail is. as a second choice the electrovoice "force" with a 15" sub in it went also for less than 600 for the pair. with the 2600 peavey you really dont need a 1000 watt wating. It has a built in distortion monitor that will show you to cut back if it is clipping. I think they call it "DDT".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:07 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Well, one thing about powered speakers - you won't have any questions concerning amps, ohms, etc. A pair of JBLs or Mackies would do just fine in virtually any bar. The ideal amp for both is included, what a concept. You can link additional ones to them as well, and not wonder if they'll be matched or have some math calculations to do. :wink:

Yes, something can go wrong with any piece of gear. If you blow an amp, yeah run the speakers off the other (if you have it). If you blow a speaker, yeah you're down one speaker. If a power speaker fails yeah you're down one speaker.

Nothing against conventional speaker/amp setups - most people go that route and there is a lot more to choose from. Quality sound is quality sound. It can cost you less as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:13 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
SP-2's aren't sold NEW for under $400 each - and that's with a ton of wheeling & dealing. I have seen newer USED pairs go for $500-$600. I just bought a pair of older SP-3's for $100. I'm going to upgrade the crossovers to a newer design. But they still sound great.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:52 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Hmmmm Doc, what would I do in your shoes? That's a tough one. If you ask ten different people on here what the best setup would be (within price constraints) you would most likely get 10 completely different answers.

One thing to think about when looking for speakers is size and weight. Unless you are going to permanently install them somewhere you will be picking them up and putting them on stands for every gig. Then there is the carrying of them in and out of the venue and your storage spot if you don't have a trailer or van you can leave them in.

Smaller speakers like the Mackie C300's (unpowered SRM450's) and others are ideal for a mobile system. They are fairly light and the plastic enclosures are pretty tough. It is very easy to lift them up on poles and they don't get too topheavy. Peavey also makes some smaller speakers like the SP5's that might be worth looking into. I don't have any experience with those but I'm sure someone could give recommendations on which ones are good for karaoke. The only problem with the smaller speakers is that if you like a lot of bass, you would probably want to add a sub to your system as well. Some people even add subs when using the larger 15" speakers. I think it is mainly a matter of taste. For karaoke I really don't like to shake the building with the bass. I leave that to the DJ's with their dance music.

But things like a sub can be added later. You don't have to have the perfect system right away. It is best to start with a basic high quality system and add to it as you learn what you like and what you want. I started with a Mackie powered mixer and the two Mackie speakers. Since then I have added a compressor, effects unit, crossover, sonic maximizer, external amp, equalizer, sub and a monitor speaker. I learned the basics first and then added things as I decided I needed them. I would have been overwhelmed trying to learn all that in the beginning. That also prevented me from buying too much junk that I was unhappy with. The only good thing is that now the junk I did buy is now backup equipment in case something breaks.

Sorry this got so long. I get carried away talking about this stuff. I'm not allowed to talk much karaoke at home. For some reason my girlfriend's eyes glaze over whenever I mention the K-word. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:42 am 

If I was given a choice between powered or not powered speakers, I will choose the later, preferably the Peavey SP 2X to go along with a good amps. I went to the store for a demo and this speaker really rocks. But....considering my purpose of using these equipment (as a mobile DJ/KJ), I am not strong enough to carry 2 pcs. approx. 70 lbs/pc hardware and the amps is also very heavy.

So I settled for powered speakers which is not bad. No amps and just under 50 lbs each. As I mentioned in my posting somewhere in this board, went to Guitar Center convinced of getting a JBL Eon 15 G2 but ended up buying 2 Mackie SRM450 speakers not because the salesman bait and switch me (in fact, he favors the JBL) but because the Mackie sound better than the other during the demo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:45 am 

If I was given a choice between powered or not powered speakers, I will choose the later, preferably the Peavey SP 2x to go along with a good amps. I went to the store for a demo and this speaker really rocks. But....considering my purpose of using these equipment (as a mobile DJ/KJ), I am not strong enough to carry 2 pcs. approx. 70 lbs/pc hardware and the amps is also very heavy.

So I settled for powered speakers which is not bad. No amps and just under 50 lbs each. As I mentioned in my posting somewhere in this board, went to Guitar Center convinced of getting a JBL Eon 15 G2 but ended up buying 2 Mackie SRM450 speakers not because the salesman bait and switch me (in fact, he favors the JBL) but because the Mackie sound better than the other during the demo.

What do you want your equipment for? It's your choice.