KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - No Fly composer list and artists that are affected - FYI Public Forums Karaoke Discussions New Music - Request & Released Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:06 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
CafeBar wrote:
Lonman wrote:
Smoothedge69 wrote:
Lonman wrote:
There have been many lawsuits against bars with cover bands not paying their PRO fees.

That is a separate issue. I know that. I lost my first venue because of BMI issues.

You asked why they dont pick on cover bands.....they do.

I think he's making a different distinction than you think he is. He's not saying that BMI and ASCAP and SESAC licenses aren't enforced--he's wondering why artists allow their music to be licensed by PROs so it can be played by cover bands (and as background music) but separately refuse to license it as karaoke.
because of the lyric display in most cases.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:58 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
Lonman wrote:
CafeBar wrote:
Lonman wrote:
Smoothedge69 wrote:
Lonman wrote:
There have been many lawsuits against bars with cover bands not paying their PRO fees.

That is a separate issue. I know that. I lost my first venue because of BMI issues.

You asked why they dont pick on cover bands.....they do.

I think he's making a different distinction than you think he is. He's not saying that BMI and ASCAP and SESAC licenses aren't enforced--he's wondering why artists allow their music to be licensed by PROs so it can be played by cover bands (and as background music) but separately refuse to license it as karaoke.
because of the lyric display in most cases.

I don't think it's the lyric display so much as it is the attitude that karaoke = bad amateur singing. Cover bands, generally speaking, only get gigs if they're good. Some songwriters don't want to sanction bad amateur singing. But they need to allow good professional singing to be able to get paid for their work.

The other thing is that karaoke is a very small market compared to live performances, so music publishers don't want to deal with it because of the administrative hassles.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:20 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
What a ridiculous attitude. Your fans want to sing your songs. Get over yourselves and allow it. That is what I have to say about that!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:43 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
Smoothedge69 wrote:
What a ridiculous attitude. Your fans want to sing your songs. Get over yourselves and allow it. That is what I have to say about that!!

How many times have you had a singer perform and wanted to recommend a different karaoke bar to them? :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:58 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 92 times
I know Suzanne Vega on Facebook and had the chance to ask her how reasonable the payments she gets are for karaoke.

Bottom line was it was very little.

Now she's basically a two hit wonder if you count the DNA version of "Tom's Diner" along with "Luka", and she's not rich from her career by any stretch of the imagination.

So maybe I can understand her wanting people to come out to her shows to see her perform the songs she wrote if people want to hear them.

Sorry if that borders on blasphemy in the Church of Karaoke, but I can understand her viewpoint more than say an artist who has 30-50 major hits.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:09 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
chrisavis wrote:
Smoothedge69 wrote:

How many times have you had a singer perform and wanted to recommend a different karaoke bar to them? :)

Some singers really are so bad that you DO have to send them down the road. A room full of bad singers will soon be an empty room.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:16 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

chrisavis wrote:
Smoothedge69 wrote:

Never. I am not like that. They are still paying customers. I have been involved in Karaoke since 1994, half of that time, strictly as a singer. I have heard them all. I can almost predict what someone will sound like. You have to take the bad with the good.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:17 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mrmarog wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
Smoothedge69 wrote:

Some singers really are so bad that you DO have to send them down the road. A room full of bad singers will soon be an empty room.

I guess I am lucky. My shows are frequented by, mostly, decent singers.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:30 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 32 times
Smoothedge69 wrote:
Lonman wrote:

I was hounded by BMI for weeks until I purchased a license from them, then ASCP started in and I purchased one from them, they charges x amount per seat, x amount if there was dancing, it's a scam in my opinion, not sure if someone turned me in or if me posting videos to the net got their attention. My place was in a small town of 700 people, so it wasn't hardly on the map, but some of my videos would receive thousands of views.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:35 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

southernsounds4u wrote:
Smoothedge69 wrote:
Lonman wrote:

I was hounded by BMI for weeks until I purchased a license from them, then ASCP started in and I purchased one from them, they charges x amount per seat, x amount if there was dancing, it's a scam in my opinion, not sure if someone turned me in or if me posting videos to the net got their attention. My place was in a small town of 700 people, so it wasn't hardly on the map, but some of my videos would receive thousands of views.

Are you a venue owner?? As a karaoke host, you aren't responsible for the PRO fees.