KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Where Pop Hits Monthly??? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions New Music - Request & Released Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:32 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 64 times
I was trying to find Pop Hits Monthly and it seems they are gone?? Whats going on??

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:32 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Out of business!
Quote from another PHM thread
earthling12357 wrote:
I don't believe we will be seeing anymore from Stellar Records.
In may of 2012 Warner/Chappell filed a copyright infringement suit against Stellar.
On April 16, 2014 they filed an amended complaint adding charges of copyright infringement over the "Roll Your Own" product including charges of contributory infringement.
You can see the amended complaint here: http://www.pdf-archive.com/2014/06/28/80-main/
You can see Stellar's answer here: http://www.pdf-archive.com/2014/06/29/stellar-answer/
On May 12, 2014 they held a telephone conference and an order was issued to delay proceedings to allow time for the company and it's owner to file bankruptcy.
It's a sad outcome.
Stellar is a company with a level headed owner who fought for reasonable licensing practices. Unfortunately it is an expensive and perpetual fight that has yielded few positive results.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:36 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Lonman wrote:
Out of business!
earthling12357 wrote:
In may of 2012 Warner/Chappell filed a copyright infringement suit against Stellar.
On April 16, 2014 they filed an amended complaint adding charges of copyright infringement over the "Roll Your Own" product including charges of contributory infringement.
You can see the amended complaint here: http://www.pdf-archive.com/2014/06/28/80-main/
You can see Stellar's answer here: http://www.pdf-archive.com/2014/06/29/stellar-answer/
On May 12, 2014 they held a telephone conference and an order was issued to delay proceedings to allow time for the company and it's owner to file bankruptcy.
It's a sad outcome.
Stellar is a company with a level headed owner who fought for reasonable licensing practices. Unfortunately it is an expensive and perpetual fight that has yielded few positive results.

If things keep going like this there will be no more karaoke period

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:54 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 99 times
GeminiMALE40 wrote:
Lonman wrote:
Out of business!
earthling12357 wrote:
It's a sad outcome.

If things keep going like this there will be no more karaoke period

Way too true :bawling:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:46 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
We all knew that PHM was about done. Obviously their owner was not as wise as was perceived, if the charges are true.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:48 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
the thing that I don't get is they kinda made it sound that they were expected to be sued over the RYOK and were prepared to fight it. still extremely sad tho. The quality of their music was never an issue

-james

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:37 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

I just don't get it..why cant these companys play by the rules..why is everyone sueing everyone..OMG..cant people just let everyone be

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:35 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Hope & Change is the answer, and if you like your karaoke you can keep your karaoke. I think everyone can agree it has worked well so far.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:10 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Pop Hits infor you might NOT know..I recently talk to ASAP karaoke..and although PHM came out with RYOK for it customers it seem that PHM was putting the stuff together CDG for ASAP Karaoke or they wouldn't buy it....LOL.... so if you get there RYOK from ASAP you wont have to put it together...I stop buying from PHM because of their Roll Your Own Program....OH WELL!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:23 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 242 times
For those of you who have been following the Warner v. Stellar, SIN, Atlantic Digital, MGM and me personally . . . a final judgment was entered yesterday against the four corporations to the tune of 11 million. Until my own case is resolved it's best that I not comment on the particulars until such time.

This ordeal has been extremely stressful to me, my family, as well as my employees and their families. Many lives were negatively impacted by this lawsuit, and unjustly so in my view. One of the more difficult aspects of this whole ordeal for me has been in trying not to have thoughts of revenge and vindictiveness towards those who have perpetrated this awful action against me and my companies. To be clear however, I don't want that to be misconstrued in ways by which I could be perceived as claiming to be a "victim". I am not a victim, I simply was not smart enough or at least my actions weren't smart, nor was I ruthless enough nor was I willing enough to do anything that I could to steer clear of these types of attacks.

I could have long ago picked up my marbles and went home, before the publishing world became so pernicious and aggressive, but I so much enjoyed making music, and the satisfaction that I got from those who appreciated what we put into making that music. There will be lots of things that I miss about the karaoke business, but most of all I'll miss the people, the environment of working with such creative people, talented musicians and engineers, and yes in an odd sort of way, even though some KJs can be a royal pain in the (@$%&#!) at times, I'll miss them as well. It's hard not to have some affection for anyone who has such passion for what they do regardless as to their opinions and often times distorted realities with regards as to how the karaoke world really works.

In any event, I don't know what the future will hold for me in terms of the karaoke business. There is the possibility that I could work for another label, I've also been approached by a not-so major publisher (but big enough to matter) of all people, who is interested in starting a karaoke division and I haven't as yet ruled that out (and there are lots of moving parts to that one), but the likelihood of my taking anyone up on these offers is very low. The one thing for sure that I won't be doing is releasing any more karaoke tracks on my own label under the current legal structure. Also over the years I've contemplated writing a book about the industry from an "insiders" (gosh I hate that phrase) point of view. For sure what actually goes on in the karaoke world is demonstrably different than the general perception. Well that is of course if this and other forums like it is any indication of the general perception.

Nevertheless, there are a number of other non karaoke related projects that I am working on and I will be launching my new podcast (The Looney Libertarian) in February of next year. I'll post it here as well should anyone be interested in that type of thing. So for now, I'll just take a breather from all of this before I throw my hat back into the ring.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:10 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
Bastiat wrote:
For those of you who have been following the Warner v. Stellar, SIN, Atlantic Digital, MGM and me personally . . . a final judgment was entered yesterday against the four corporations to the tune of 11 million. Until my own case is resolved it's best that I not comment on the particulars until such time.

This ordeal has been extremely stressful to me, my family, as well as my employees and their families. Many lives were negatively impacted by this lawsuit, and unjustly so in my view. One of the more difficult aspects of this whole ordeal for me has been in trying not to have thoughts of revenge and vindictiveness towards those who have perpetrated this awful action against me and my companies. To be clear however, I don't want that to be misconstrued in ways by which I could be perceived as claiming to be a "victim". I am not a victim, I simply was not smart enough or at least my actions weren't smart, nor was I ruthless enough nor was I willing enough to do anything that I could to steer clear of these types of attacks.

I could have long ago picked up my marbles and went home, before the publishing world became so pernicious and aggressive, but I so much enjoyed making music, and the satisfaction that I got from those who appreciated what we put into making that music. There will be lots of things that I miss about the karaoke business, but most of all I'll miss the people, the environment of working with such creative people, talented musicians and engineers, and yes in an odd sort of way, even though some KJs can be a royal pain in the <span style=font-size:10px><i>(@$%&#!)</i></span> at times, I'll miss them as well. It's hard not to have some affection for anyone who has such passion for what they do regardless as to their opinions and often times distorted realities with regards as to how the karaoke world really works.

In any event, I don't know what the future will hold for me in terms of the karaoke business. There is the possibility that I could work for another label, I've also been approached by a not-so major publisher (but big enough to matter) of all people, who is interested in starting a karaoke division and I haven't as yet ruled that out (and there are lots of moving parts to that one), but the likelihood of my taking anyone up on these offers is very low. The one thing for sure that I won't be doing is releasing any more karaoke tracks on my own label under the current legal structure. Also over the years I've contemplated writing a book about the industry from an "insiders" (gosh I hate that phrase) point of view. For sure what actually goes on in the karaoke world is demonstrably different than the general perception. Well that is of course if this and other forums like it is any indication of the general perception.

Nevertheless, there are a number of other non karaoke related projects that I am working on and I will be launching my new podcast (The Looney Libertarian) in February of next year. I'll post it here as well should anyone be interested in that type of thing. So for now, I'll just take a breather from all of this before I throw my hat back into the ring.

Hi, for those of us who don't know, can you tell us who you are and what your affiliation with karaoke is?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:14 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
djdon wrote:
Bastiat wrote:
For those of you who have been following the Warner v. Stellar, SIN, Atlantic Digital, MGM and me personally . . . a final judgment was entered yesterday against the four corporations to the tune of 11 million. Until my own case is resolved it's best that I not comment on the particulars until such time....

Hi, for those of us who don't know, can you tell us who you are and what your affiliation with karaoke is?

That was Tom V., CEO of Stellar Records. He used to produce Karaoke Tracks under the labels of Top Hits Monthly, which then became Pop Hits Monthly, which then became Sing It Now (did I miss any labels here?).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:53 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 242 times
Just a few . . . American Gold, UKKaraoke, Rising Star. Also produced the original All Hits Karaoke (not the later stuff with the red label) & Megahits Karaoke lines, and produced a few titles for a few other labels i.e. Dangerous, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:44 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
How do we find their disc listings ? from old discs example t's Just That Way Alan Jackson its a Pop hits monthly cdg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:04 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
just must be the blonde one all i want is to search the disc and track numbers of the PHM but cant find anything :( :bawling: my head is spinning and my eyes are blood shot looking for it :oops: :withstupid: :idea:

ok im new here :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:32 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Chrystalgail wrote:
How do we find their disc listings ? from old discs example t's Just That Way Alan Jackson its a Pop hits monthly cdg

Look up through https://db.openkj.org/ , if that don't work try http://icroons.com/ , if that don't work try http://www.musicbookdeluxe.com/ if you can't find it in any of those sites - it never existed (at least on disc).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:42 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Not found on disc but is available for download on karaoke version.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:51 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Not found on disc but is available for download on karaoke version.

It was on disc as a matter of fact. Pop Hits Monthly PHN1003 track #1.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:13 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 13 times
Really miss PHM...oh well..i guess times change

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:16 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 39 times
How long were you in a coma?