KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Place your bets... place your bets.... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Will PEP make new music.... (Pick up to 2)
Yes they will and it will be completely legal 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
No, they won't, it's just more empty talk 52%  52%  [ 16 ]
Yes they will, but legality will be questionable 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes they will, but only unknown/unusable songs 19%  19%  [ 6 ]
Yes, but most will be already available re-hashed songs 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
My crystal ball is broken - no opinion 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 31
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:04 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 242 times
Lonman wrote:
K even though you had planned on it - it wasn't 'legally' available to kj's (or anyone else) at that time. Which is all I said.
I never considered anything as 'filler' because someone eventually will sing it - even if it's just once (which is no different than a kj today buying a song on the fly that may only get used that one time). I had some PHM sitting on my shelves for YEARS before the songs on the discs began to be sung. I always laugh at the 'killer' vs 'filler' argument.

I interpreted your comment to mean that none of the "manus" (God, I hate that word) could legally license downloads, but now that you've clarified that statement I can see what you were saying in that context. However you did say it wasn't just SC that had songs that contained one or two and the rest "filler", which was why I made the "filler" remark.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:58 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
dsm2000 wrote:
Open your Karma database in Access
Click on Create new query
In the view dropdown at top left select SQL View

copy and paste the following into the SQL window

SELECT Distinct(Right([MediaPath],Len([MediaPath])-InStrRev([MediaPath],"\"))) AS song
FROM SingerHistory
WHERE (((Right([MediaPath],Len([MediaPath])-InStrRev([MediaPath],"\"))) Like ("SC*")))
ORDER BY Right([MediaPath],Len([MediaPath])-InStrRev([MediaPath],"\"));

Click on Run near the top left to run the query.

This only works if you format your tracks as Disc-Tr-Artist Title

I ran that query and got this LOL

Scaggs, Boz - Breakdown Dead Ahead - SC 9012-02.mp3
Scaggs, Boz - Fly Like A Bird - SC 8246-11.mp3
Scaggs, Boz - Lido Shuffle - SC 8667-02.MP3
Scaggs, Boz - Look What You've Done To Me - SC 8641-08.MP3
Scaggs, Boz - We're All Alone - LG243-11.mp3
Scandal - Goodbye To You - SC 8300-14.mp3
Scandal - Warrior - MM6092-07.mp3
Scandal - Warrior - NU 2060-01.MP3
School Of Fish - 3 Strange Days - SC 8749-07.MP3
Scorpions - Rock You Like A Hurricane - SC 8252-15.mp3
Scorpions - Still Loving You - SC 8516-14.MP3
Scorpions - Wind Of Change - AH8007-09.mp3
Scott, Jill - Way - PH 2108-07.MP3
Scott, Linda - I've Told Every Little Star - SC 8190-08.mp3
Screaming Trees - Nearly Lost You - SC 8749-02.MP3
Script - Breakeven - SF 274-08.mp3
Script - Man Who Can't Be Moved - PHMP 905-05.mp3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:50 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
Aww shucks I didn't get to vote :P

Add me to they won't make anything and if they do, it won't be out before another company already has it.

KV is filling its holes nicely with a bunch of tracks every day. The site has a nice easy way to purchase things, and also offers a built in reward system. It has a free karaoke player, and has a music voting system that you can see whats in production. For those who need it, it has a large subscription service for both home user and pro hosts. In my opinion, the site is made very well... And because of that, I now own about 400+ tracks from them.

For the one time I needed it, customer support worked great too. When I told them that the song wasn't right, they refunded me a credit for another song.

I wouldn't say I won't ever buy from SC/PEP though, They might have something that only they have produced. However, I am concerned about having to have some sort of licence agreement with them, that might be subject more payments down the line to use the songs I already bought. I have no clue if the band or the production of the music is going to be good as it once was. I don't know how easy/hard it will be to use their website... too much doubt for me to seriously consider them right now.

And of course, we don't have to look further then the ADVANCED program to know they don't want to spend their own money to produce tracks in the beginning. How many people still have credits between ADVANCED (Some people still have credits, though they did offer a refund) and PRIME (did anyone sign up for that??) that they are waiting to spend?

I'm completely satisfied with KV at this point and time. I'm going to be hard pressed to switch over the SC/PEP unless there is a real call for it down the line. Maybe if they can start re licencing their old tracks that no one else has again, or make it so no one who uses their new stuff feels like a criminal even after they bought it legally i might give it a go.

But let's see if they even make anything first...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:07 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

IMHO I believe that if Kurt really wanted to re-enter the karaoke market it wouldn't be all that difficult for him to do so. He already knows how all the pieces fit, and he's no dummy so he would definitely embrace the current business model and it wouldn't take him long to figure it out if he hasn't already. I suspect that a lot of this is a feeling out process for him and as they say "timing is everything", so if the stars line up and the gods are smiling on him, I wouldn't be too surprised if he re-enters the fray.

Now having said that, I'm obviously looking at it from my perspective, and putting the licensing issue in my back pocket for a moment, The competition for producing high quality sound-a-like audio tracks is more intense than it was just five years ago. In fact so much so that I don't think it would be financially efficient to record everything in-house anymore (or even anything for that matter). I understand that Blank Productions is supplying either some if not all of the sound-a-like tracks to Karaoke Version. The quality of Bob's tracks as compared to his tracks back in the 90s is like night and day.

So if I were to ever do it again (for which I have no desire), I would outsource most if not all of the tracks, hire the best music director I could afford (to keep the outsource people honest), a small studio for touch-ups and last minute fixes and/or hot new releases, etc. and a download distribution model similar to KVs. At one point I thought that maybe something innovative would breathe new life into karaoke but when we tried introducing S.M.A.R.T. Karaoke back in the mid 2000s, there didn't seem to be much interest from KJs as our proof of concept studies indicated. It went well at the NAMM show but dazzling NAMM show attendants and impressing a KJ were not one and the same. It just didn't seem to catch on with the KJs, and seeing it wasn't a consumer product, if the KJs weren't interested it would have surely been a failure.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:21 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
Bastiat wrote:
IMHO I believe that if Kurt really wanted to re-enter the karaoke market it wouldn't be all that difficult for him to do so. He already knows how all the pieces fit, and he's no dummy so he would definitely embrace the current business model and it wouldn't take him long to figure it out if he hasn't already. I suspect that a lot of this is a feeling out process for him and as they say "timing is everything", so if the stars line up and the gods are smiling on him, I wouldn't be too surprised if he re-enters the fray.

I don't believe there's any re-entering this industry for him, no maatter what he knows or doesn't know. Just look at the responses in this poll alone. A single loyal customer has responded.... only one and that speaks volumes

He and Harrington have done so much to destroy any/all customer loyalty and trust that I don't believe it's recoverable at all. It would simply be a waste of time. It's the perfect example of how they've destroyed their own brand in the eyes of their own customers.

You would have a far better chance of making a go of it, even if you outsourced to Blank.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 259 times
djdon wrote:

Here is one that works for your format

SELECT DISTINCT Trim(Right([MediaPath],Len([MediaPath])-InStrRev([MediaPath],"- "))) AS Song
FROM SingerHistory
Where Trim(Right([MediaPath],Len([MediaPath])-InStrRev([MediaPath],"- "))) like("SC*")
ORDER BY Trim(Right([MediaPath],Len([MediaPath])-InStrRev([MediaPath],"- ")));

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:36 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Bastiat wrote:

Now having said that, I'm obviously looking at it from my perspective, and putting the licensing issue in my back pocket for a moment, The competition for producing high quality sound-a-like audio tracks is more intense than it was just five years ago. In fact so much so that I don't think it would be financially efficient to record everything in-house anymore (or even anything for that matter). I understand that Blank Productions is supplying either some if not all of the sound-a-like tracks to Karaoke Version. The quality of Bob's tracks as compared to his tracks back in the 90s is like night and day.
And I think this is key - other manus have stepped up their game in all respects - especially in music and lyric accuracy since SC stopped. They are going to have to put out stuff that NO ONE else has even thought of that kj's are still clamoring for (for years) in order to be wanted again - at least to get back into the game, once they do that then they can get back into the todays hits along with requests.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:33 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Lonman wrote:
And I think this is key - other manus have stepped up their game in all respects - especially in music and lyric accuracy since SC stopped. They are going to have to put out stuff that NO ONE else has even thought of that kj's are still clamoring for (for years) in order to be wanted again - at least to get back into the game, once they do that then they can get back into the todays hits along with requests.

Actually, I don't believe that other manufacturers have had to "step up their game." Instead, I believe that the game has changed and that sound choice has always been unable to change. If you notice, sound choice doesn't want to play by the game that's evolved based on the needs of the marketplace, but instead would prefer to create the game and have everyone play by their own rules.

It's always been "all or nothing" when it comes to sound choice – they've always wanted it all, and because of that they now get nothing. Just take a look at the poll above, I don't believe that sound choice retains any sort of "brand loyalty" by anyone including their own licensees.

I don't believe that there is any way that sound choice could ever possibly put out songs that everyone else wants that has not been made by some other manufacturer without some sort of behind the scenes collusion. And that's because the marketplace has become too competitive for those manufacturers that are still in the game and it's not just a matter of putting out the songs, but rather a matter of putting out the best version of the most popular songs.

I believe that Kurt is unable to compete on a level playing field with other manufacturers - especially now. Over the last 8 years, he has only been creating products that he believes can be used by a captive, contract-signing audience. Every time he comes up with a brand new marketing scheme, there is a contract attached to it and that has included the advance program, sound choice entertainment, prime, help license, gem series etc. Each one of those products/contracts includes an indemnification to protect him from some sort of infringement that is committed by simply using the product in the first place. And that speaks volumes.

Sound choice spent many years digging their own grave and beating their own customers over the head with the same shovel. They haven't produced anything in almost 10 years, so I don't believe that they're going to no matter what they say, and if by some modern miracle they do produce anything at all, there will not be a customer base left purchase it. Especially with the strings they like to attach to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:21 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 259 times
c. staley wrote:
Especially with the strings they like to attach to it.

Strings? More like boat anchor chains.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:21 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

dsm2000 wrote:
c. staley wrote:
Especially with the strings they like to attach to it.

Strings? More like boat anchor chains.
Yeah, well I was trying to be somewhat kind.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:16 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
dsm2000 wrote:
djdon wrote:

Here is one that works for your format

SELECT DISTINCT Trim(Right([MediaPath],Len([MediaPath])-InStrRev([MediaPath],"- "))) AS Song
FROM SingerHistory
Where Trim(Right([MediaPath],Len([MediaPath])-InStrRev([MediaPath],"- "))) like("SC*")
ORDER BY Trim(Right([MediaPath],Len([MediaPath])-InStrRev([MediaPath],"- ")));

OK, that selected 1,905 tracks, but only displayed the disc and track number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:23 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

c. staley wrote:
He and Harrington have done so much to destroy any/all customer loyalty and trust that I don't believe it's recoverable at all. It would simply be a waste of time. It's the perfect example of how they've destroyed their own brand in the eyes of their own customers.

You would have a far better chance of making a go of it, even if you outsourced to Blank.

You may be entirely right. They may have poisoned their own well, but regardless as to how many people say they won't purchase a SC track due to their demeanor and policies, ultimately that will not be the determining factor. All things conform to the laws of scarcity so in the end it's the markets that will decide whether or not he'd have any success regardless as to whether or not people despise him or his company.

As far as my having a better chance of making a go of it .... there's little doubt in my mind that I could re-enter the market if I really wanted to bad enough, but the problem is that I don't want to bad enough. There are too many other ways of marketing audio recordings that are far more profitable and require a lot less aggravation than making karaoke tracks. The other advantage I have is that I still have my entire catalog intact. I have also acquired the Panorama catalog, but the problem with that catalog is that none of the compositions were ever licensed and all of the sound recordings were outsourced, many of them were not done as "work for hires" so I'd have to sift through the entire catalog to find out what was owned by Panorama and what wasn't. The other problems with both of these catalogs is that they were current release products which are no longer current. Aside from a handful of recurrent titles, the majority of these tracks have very little market appeal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:11 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 26 times
Bastiat wrote:
c. staley wrote:

You may be entirely right. They may have poisoned their own well, but regardless as to how many people say they won't purchase a SC track due to their demeanor and policies, ultimately that will not be the determining factor. All things conform to the laws of scarcity so in the end it's the markets that will decide whether or not he'd have any success regardless as to whether or not people despise him or his company.

As far as my having a better chance of making a go of it .... there's little doubt in my mind that I could re-enter the market if I really wanted to bad enough, but the problem is that I don't want to bad enough. There are too many other ways of marketing audio recordings that are far more profitable and require a lot less aggravation than making karaoke tracks. The other advantage I have is that I still have my entire catalog intact. I have also acquired the Panorama catalog, but the problem with that catalog is that none of the compositions were ever licensed and all of the sound recordings were outsourced, many of them were not done as "work for hires" so I'd have to sift through the entire catalog to find out what was owned by Panorama and what wasn't. The other problems with both of these catalogs is that they were current release products which are no longer current. Aside from a handful of recurrent titles, the majority of these tracks have very little market appeal.

Your version of Merril Bainbridge Under The Water is always my go to and the Panorama version of I Useta Love Her by the Saw Doctors was pretty good too!

I am a big fan of your discs and one day will troll ebay until I find them haha :) Always welcome back in my book!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:56 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

c. staley wrote:
Lonman wrote:

Actually, I don't believe that other manufacturers have had to "step up their game." Instead, I believe that the game has changed and that sound choice has always been unable to change. If you notice, sound choice doesn't want to play by the game that's evolved based on the needs of the marketplace, but instead would prefer to create the game and have everyone play by their own rules.

The only thing I was referring to about other manus 'stepping up their game' was in production quality. The music from many manufacturers that were sometimes very spotty or hit & miss are now much better quality and lyric swipes/accuracy much better. Not talking about SC not wanting to change.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:56 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

c. staley wrote:
Lonman wrote:

The only thing I was referring to about other manus 'stepping up their game' was in production quality. The music from many manufacturers that were sometimes very spotty or hit & miss are now much better quality and lyric swipes/accuracy much better. Not talking about SC not wanting to change.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:45 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 57 times
Guess what I received in email the other day.

https://www.facebook.com/events/199116827392156/

I do wholeheartedly agree with Mr Staley on everything he said earlier about Sound Choice. I replied with pretty much the same thing a couple days back but it never got published on this thread I do not know why.

Check out the link. Looks like another sssshot in the dark to me.

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! ----A. Einstein
Double bubble, toil and trouble ----W. Shakespeare & Walt Disney
I hate it when I get on FaceBook ----Me
Karaoke might be Groundhog Day ----?
Of All the Martial Arts, Karaoke Inflicts the Most Pain ----?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:28 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
dvdgdry wrote:

I do wholeheartedly agree with Mr Staley on everything he said earlier about Sound Choice. I replied with pretty much the same thing a couple days back but it never got published on this thread I do not know why.

One guy responded that he had to go to a funeral (rather than go to SC sponsored karaoke) :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:54 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 49 times
SC simply doesn't get it. Everyone has seen through their bulls#it schemes and empty promises, and has said " To hell with it! " Even their cheerleaders are practically non-existent these days. What SC fails to comprehend is the fact that they haven't produced new tracks in almost 10 years, and in the entertainment industry it's always been out-of-sight, out-of-mind.

Maybe SC should be reported to the A.S.P.C.A., because they've been beating the same poor, dead horse for years.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:21 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 57 times
mrmarog wrote:
dvdgdry wrote:

One guy responded that he had to go to a funeral (rather than go to SC sponsored karaoke) :D

The person that responded did so on June16th...The show is June 30th...That dead person gotta be pretty ripe by then!

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! ----A. Einstein
Double bubble, toil and trouble ----W. Shakespeare & Walt Disney
I hate it when I get on FaceBook ----Me
Karaoke might be Groundhog Day ----?
Of All the Martial Arts, Karaoke Inflicts the Most Pain ----?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:24 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

dvdgdry wrote:
The person that responded did so on June16th...The show is June 30th...That dead person gotta be pretty ripe by then!

I can out do that:
My ex's spouse died April 27th and the interment is July 11th.....
Now THAT'S "ripe."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next