KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Best Buy to stop selling CDs. Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:49 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 224 times
Best Buy is rumored to stop sale of all cds come July 1st. How will any karaoke producer ever justify making CD release profitable if Best Buy can't make a profit on standard music?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:26 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Most have stopped cdg sales.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:15 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
CDs are 36 year old technology. Do you also expect them to keep carrying Ataris, VCRs, tube TVs, walkmans, and McIntoshes?

It doesn't say they are going to stop carrying music, just CDs. Calm down!

In the grander scheme of things, this is probably good news for the karaoke industry. A major big box retailer finally getting with the early 2000s trend that no one cares about physical media anymore (CDs, newspapers, DVDs).

One more big hurdle in karaoke finally admitting the inevitable, that physical media is dead, and figuring out how to best serve its customers with digital media.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:56 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
TopherM wrote:
CDs are 36 year old technology. Do you also expect them to keep carrying Ataris, VCRs, tube TVs, walkmans, and McIntoshes?

It doesn't say they are going to stop carrying music, just CDs. Calm down!

In the grander scheme of things, this is probably good news for the karaoke industry. A major big box retailer finally getting with the early 2000s trend that no one cares about physical media anymore (CDs, newspapers, DVDs).

One more big hurdle in karaoke finally admitting the inevitable, that physical media is dead, and figuring out how to best serve its customers with digital media.

Physical media is dead? I think not... maybe CD's are dead... not all media.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8085951/us-vinyl-album-sales-nielsen-music-record-high-2017

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:45 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Seriously?

14.32 million vinyl records is exciting? Vinyl is nostalgia, plain and simple. Every other teenager I see walking down the street is wearing a Nirvana shirt. That doesn't mean Nirvana's on the verge of a comeback :o

You know vinyl peaked at 1,100,000,000 units sold in 1981? WTF does 14,320,000 matter? That's down 7681%. What a comeback, indeed!

CD sales peaked at 2,455,000,000 units sold in 2000 and were 279,900,000 in 2016. That's down 877%.

Newspaper subscription nationwide peaked at 63,147,000 in 1973, and were 37,900,000 in 2016. That's down 167%.

Physical media is on life support by all indicators! Let it die, already!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:13 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
I still like it because 98% of my 80,000 songs are backed up by them. Unfortunately we aren't allowed to drop our "CD standard" like the world (USA) has dropped the "gold standard".

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:34 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
CDs are dead as a medium, DVDs are next..
As soon as the Sonys of the world figure out haw to screw the public with streaming, there goes Blu ray..
Three years ago at CES, I saw 8K video on display, and nothing available to record it under twenty thousand $$.

It's a brave new world..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:11 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Since you mentioned it, US DVD sales peaked in 2005 at about $22,000,000,000. 2016 DVD and Blue Ray (seems only fair comparison) combined unit sales were about $6,100,000,000. That's a 360% drop!

The drop is much sharper when you factor in physical DVD/Blue Ray rentals and/or the overall "physical home movie entertainment" market.

And where'd that go? Oh yeah. Digital streaming!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:42 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
TopherM wrote:
Since you mentioned it, US DVD sales peaked in 2005 at about $22,000,000,000. 2016 DVD and Blue Ray (seems only fair comparison) combined unit sales were about $6,100,000,000. That's a 360% drop!

The drop is much sharper when you factor in physical DVD/Blue Ray rentals and/or the overall "physical home movie entertainment" market.

And where'd that go? Oh yeah. Digital streaming!

My math tells me that $6,100,000,000 is 27.72% of $22,000,000,000, which would be 72.28% drop from 22 billion.

61/220 = .2772 or 27.72%
100%-27.72% = 72.28%

Assuming, of course, that 22 billion is 100%.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:55 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Math not-withstanding, my point still stands. There is no measure by which anyone can say that physical media is not dying and/or nearly replaced by digital media.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:10 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

TopherM wrote:
Math not-withstanding, my point still stands. There is no measure by which anyone can say that physical media is not dying and/or nearly replaced by digital media.

Math can be irritating, eh?
But, it seems we are agreeing with you..
However, DVDs really won't disappear until the shelves are a bit emptier.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:37 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

jdmeister wrote:
TopherM wrote:

Only thing worse than a grammar nazi is a math nazi. :mrgreen: :lol:

But yes, I also concur that all compact disc media is going the way of the pterodactyl.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:46 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
djdon wrote:
all compact disc media is going the way of the pterodactyl.

Now I know the reason why cd's are "flying" off the shelves lately! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:08 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 226 times
djdon wrote:
jdmeister wrote:
TopherM wrote:

Only thing worse than a grammar nazi is a math nazi. :mrgreen: :lol:

But yes, I also concur that all compact disc media is going the way of the pterodactyl.

Speaking of DjDon......

Don't you just hate it when people think "loose" is actually "lose" and say things like "I'm loosing money today on selling my superior Nutech SCDGs for $1 each instead of the $2 they're worth." The correct word is "losing".

Or completely misuse the words "your and you're" when english is the only language they likely know. They also incorrectly use " there, their, and they're."

I know NO MAN is perfect but how much trust can you put in a person that can't even come close to mastering the basics of written communication, nor want to learn or correct themselves when they see others using those terms correctly?

Chances are they will never master some of the more important things in life. I can't tell you just how many times i've seen professional resumes thrown in the trash because of simple typing (or through sheer ignorance) errors.

Now auto-correct errors...that's completely understandable...

Just pointing out that reading something with a GLARING mistake on such basic grade school fundamentals annoys nearly everyone who know better and makes them think the writer is either stupid, ignorant, or uneducated. The writer instantly loses some credibility and their words have less impact. The readers will never admit it but subconsciously they'll think the writer is pretty dumb.

Oh...and we're called grammar police...to be politically correct. :mrgreen: :withstupid:

Okay off my soapbox. Nothing aimed at you DjDon because you spell correctly from what i recall. But there's a few others here that really hack-up the english language....the only language they likely know.... :roll: :bawling: :bawling:

Now... back to your regularly scheduled program :) -John

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:49 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
There is a transition going on from physical to digital now. Be prepared for it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:40 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
kakaroc wrote:
There is a transition going on from physical to digital now. Be prepared for it.

CD's and Blu Ray's may be on their way out and along with them, goes the quality. For example...

A Blu Ray movie on an actual disc is going to look and sound better that the same movie streamed on Netflix. These movies are compressed and don't look as good or sound as good. You will not get the audio from a movie recorded in Dolby Atmos, Dolby True HD or DTS Master Audio HD on Netflix. And, I want that. I have a 9.1 surround system and want to be able to play the full audio soundtrack. What you will get is basic Dolby Digital 5.1

Let's talk about vinyl albums. The sound on these albums were always said to be superior to that of CD's. A much warmer, fuller, richer sound. And I agree with that. Another instance where quality sound was sacrificed with new technology.

I could go on but I'll stop here. The point is, just because streaming is the next step forward, doesn't mean it's going to be better than the actual movie on Blu Ray. Because it's not. Sometimes new technology brings with it a sacrifice in quality that we've come to expect.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:29 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Alan B wrote:
kakaroc wrote:

CD's and Blu Ray's may be on their way out and along with them, goes the quality. For example...

A Blu Ray movie on an actual disc is going to look and sound better that the same movie streamed on Netflix.
(Depends on several factors, bandwidth, GPU etc.)
These movies are compressed and don't look as good or sound as good. You will not get the audio from a movie recorded in Dolby Atmos, Dolby True HD or DTS Master Audio HD on Netflix. And, I want that. I have a 9.1 surround system and want to be able to play the full audio soundtrack. What you will get is basic Dolby Digital 5.1

Let's talk about vinyl albums. (Be sure and dust them off) The sound on these albums were always said to be superior to that of CD's. A much warmer, fuller, richer sound. And I agree with that. Another instance where quality sound was sacrificed with new technology.

I could go on but I'll stop here. The point is, just because streaming is the next step forward, doesn't mean it's going to be better than the actual movie on Blu Ray. Because it's not. Sometimes new technology brings with it a sacrifice in quality that we've come to expect.

And, for karaoke nobody cares.. It's low rez anyway..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:21 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
For karaoke what benefit does HD have over low res? Does it make you sing better? Sound better?

Oh I get it! All the millenials (and others) that have their eyes glued to their phones 24/7 NEED hi res to see the words..... where as all us older folks don't :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:09 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

mrmarog wrote:
For karaoke what benefit does HD have over low res? Does it make you sing better? Sound better?

Oh I get it! All the millenials (and others) that have their eyes glued to their phones 24/7 NEED hi res to see the words..... where as all us older folks don't :wink:

Why did we ever move from CRTs to OLED screens? idk... because it's better technology? It looks better? It's cheaper? But other than that. ya. I feel ya.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:13 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
jdmeister wrote:
And, for karaoke nobody cares.. It's low rez anyway..

And with that, I agree.