KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Sound Choice is back in the game - Get excited! Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:41 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
GenerationX wrote:
cousinvinnie wrote:
Sound Choice is back in the game - Get excited!

All the rest of the labels mentioned in this thread are either a Joke, Bankrupt or just not in the business anymore.

Looking forward to new products from this company in 2018.

I wouldn't purchase from SC under their licensee only offering, if they distribute to shops as other brands do, then I may consider it.

Sunfly hasn't left the game, they produce content both digitally and on disc every month, Zoom put out regular releases and I can assure that their quality is not a joke. Capital Karaoke in Australia also produce new music almost every month and release it on disc and digitally and its quality is also very good!

Download MP3G files from Capital Karaoke & Chartbuster Karaoke. We have a dedicated download site where you can download them instantly - http://www.karaokeshop.com.au
Wow! they sell Chartbuster collection on hard drive or Chartbuster Downloads, Wow! Even Zoom. Sounds like another tricerasoft kind of shop. They sell full libraries of songs from different manufacturers. I'm gonna send them an email to see if I can buy the complete "Sybersound collection in mp3+g format"

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:21 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 242 times
Quote:
I own a TON of all these...(including box sets) I am a little confused as there are differences in THM an PHM. Could you list all the Stellar brands so i can sort my disks accordingly, and my mind:).

Top Hits Monthly and Pop Hits Monthly are registered trademarks of Stellar Records. Stellar stopped producing products under the Top Hits Monthly brand I believe it was in December of 1997. At that time Top Hits Monthly was a mixed bag of pop, rock and country. In spite of the popular perception, I realized that the Chartbusters tracks were not very well produced and saw a market opening to produce a line of country so I wanted to separate country out of the offering thereby releasing 2 discs per month, and they were then called Pop Hits Monthly and Country Hits Monthly. So basically PHM released everything that THM was releasing minus the country.

Laurindo (Larry) Santos was a friend of mine and was actually a booking agent that booked many of my bands going as far back as the 1970s. I set him up in a business he called KJ Direct which morphed into Bay State CD ROM which was a distributor for all of Stellar's products and All Hits Karaoke products that was sold to dealers only and not to end users. Unfortunately, at one point Larry decided to go into business for himself under the name of Panorama Records thinking he could use the Top Hits Monthly trademark seeing that I was no longer producing product under that brand, and started producing his own line of karaoke products using most of my resources which I should never have revealed to anyone, but live and learn as they say.

I did sue Panorama for trademark infringement and eventually won an out of court settlement. Larry's partner paid his portion of the settlement before he passed away, but Larry was unable to service his debt with me so I ended with his entire catalog, along with about 200,000 CD+Gs. I destroyed the discs and never reissued the tracks because they were never licensed to begin with, as Larry was of the understanding that karaoke tracks fell under the provision of "fair use" (a case which he eventually ended up losing). The other problem with the THM catalog is in being able to determine which tracks were done as "work for hires" and which tracks were licensed from other owners. Some day I may try to sift through the entire catalog to determine which tracks I actually own out of the catalog. I don't really want to delve any further into the details of this as Larry and his partner passed away last year and we did reconcile our differences, but hope this helps you to determine which tracks were produced under the Stellar label and which tracks were produced under the Panorama label.

Quote:
Vinny... Weird Al does parodies. That's how he gets away with it. Different rules.

Not only does Weird Al produce parodies which do fall under the provisions of "fair use", but he never does a parody of a song without the original owner's consent. He actually obtains a mechanical license to record his parodies.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:58 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Quote:
Could karaoke possibly be that easy for Americans to "take" ownership of an existing work / Add their brand / Form SR to copyright then claim ownership of that work as if it was their own simply because of a trademark?
Wow! kinda makes people want to get into the karaoke business producing their own tracks.

Okay Vinnie, I'll try to explain this in terms you can understand. There are TWO separate copyrights in a sound recording. There's one copyright for the musical composition and a second copyright for the sound recording of that composition. If you are the composer and the recording artist you can file one SR form that will cover both. However in the case where the composer/songwriter is a separate entity from the recording artist, the composer files a PA form for the musical composition and the recording artist fills out a separate SR form for the sound recording (SR ... get it? ... Sound Recording). So when a recording artist or music label makes a sound recording of that musical composition, the artist or label does not "take" ownership of an existing work, or the musical composition. However what they do "take" is ownership of the sound recording of that composition. Capice?

Quote:
What is your interpretation of Section 115?

What's there to interpret? Just read it. You claim to be a musician and that musicians hate karaoke, but it seems to me that the KJs, (at least the ones on this forum) have a much better understanding of copyright issues than you who claims to be a musician. You should be ashamed of yourself for not knowing the very basics of copyright law while you criticize those who know a lot more than you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:13 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Quote:
Didn't stellar records go bankrupt?
(Roll Your own Karaoke was an audio only product where with supplied software the end user creates the MP3+G file on their own. They did that to avoid having to pay for sync licensing. Apparently that backfired and forced Stellar Records, the parent company of Pop Hits Monthly to file for bankruptcy. They were the last of the big three to close up shop on making new music.)

Hey cousinvinne, I think you should change your handle from cousinvinnie to the kingofmisinformation. Stellar did not file for bankruptcy and the reason RYOK was created was not to avoid paying for sync licenses but to be able to eventually release products that were on the no fly list. Nothing backfired, Stellar had already been in decline as it was no longer able to secure licenses for the songs it wanted to release. That's a whole other story that I'm not about to get into in this forum but suffice it to say, there's a lot more to things like this than what meets the eye.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:20 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
cousinvinnie wrote:
No, we don't, The Help license is not really worth it when you can simply apply that $$$ towards the Gem set on a payment plan for a few dollars more.

So you're saying that "for a few dollars more" you'd rather have a collection of 6,000 oldies in the gem set rather than the entire library of over 18,000 songs?

On what planet does that math make sense? Pay a few dollars more for 1/3 of the songs?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:27 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
c. staley wrote:
cousinvinnie wrote:
No, we don't, The Help license is not really worth it when you can simply apply that $$$ towards the Gem set on a payment plan for a few dollars more.

So you're saying that "for a few dollars more" you'd rather have a collection of 6,000 oldies in the gem set rather than the entire library of over 18,000 songs?

On what planet does that math make sense? Pay a few dollars more for 1/3 of the songs?

Maybe the story changed because Cuz has something to hide? First he had the help, now he doesn't. The only thing in the middle is we pointed out the piracy of all things "help". What are you hiding Cuz? Anyone that changes their story like that has to have something to hide. Come on, we are all professionals here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:32 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
MrBoo wrote:
c. staley wrote:
cousinvinnie wrote:

Maybe the story changed because Cuz has something to hide? First he had the help, now he doesn't. The only thing in the middle is we pointed out the piracy of all things "help". What are you hiding Cuz? Anyone that changes their story like that has to have something to hide. Come on, we are all professionals here.

Hahahaha...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:39 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Paying the help license doesn't remove the stigma of being a pirate. If they had the discs to back up the entire original SC catalog, they should have gone through the Audit to show they had the discs. If I had been sued and didn't have the discs, I would have opted for the GEM Series as well because once I had paid off the initial payment, I would have ceased being a pirate and only have to worry about paying the fee after the initial five years is up and then three years later. The Help license, if I am not mistaken is an indefinite time for the right to use a product that I shouldn't have the right to use in the first place. The only two ways out of being able to not pay the help license is to either get the GEM Series and delete the original library off the computer or delete the original library off the computer and cease offering any of the Sound Choice products.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:43 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
I know people that brag about paying the HELP extortion. Like they're all legal now. Fools.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:00 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

What's with all the billion questions guys on the "Help" license. I've mentioned at the start of the thread it's not a good deal.

Last edited by cousinvinnie on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:24 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
cousinvinnie wrote:

Download MP3G files from Capital Karaoke & Chartbuster Karaoke. We have a dedicated download site where you can download them instantly - http://www.karaokeshop.com.au
Wow! they sell Chartbuster collection on hard drive or Chartbuster Downloads, Wow! Even Zoom. Sounds like another tricerasoft kind of shop. They sell full libraries of songs from different manufacturers. I'm gonna send them an email to see if I can buy the complete "Sybersound collection in mp3+g format"
Except they do not sell downloads to the US, last time I tried to buy a physical disc from there, they said not available to your geographic location - but it let me get all the way to the checkout stage before telling me so.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:29 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Something seems shady when I see they offer CB tracks as downloads, along with Complete CB libraries on an unauthorized hard drive.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:56 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Works in Canada. I Just bought a Chartbuster song as a digital download.
Attachment:
1.png
1.png [ 55.78 KiB | Viewed 33755 times ]

after checkout

Attachment:
3.png
3.png [ 173.91 KiB | Viewed 33755 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:58 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Lucky you. Is it a CB or a Karaoke Cloud brand on it? Most of the "CB" downloads are actually Karaoke Cloud.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:03 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

It's an original Chartbuster 192kbps labeled KID_ROCK_&_SHERYL_CROW_-_PICTURE_-_cb
Wondering if I should buy the hard drive with 13,170 Tracks for $3000.00 (That's 23 cents per track it's tempting)
Quote:
We suggested we sell him a hard drive with the entire Chartbuster collection of 13,170 songs for $3,000.
sourch taken from their website. I will send link to Pep to verify.
Attachment:
4.png
4.png [ 24.2 KiB | Viewed 33752 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:37 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 116 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
bazinga wrote:
cousinvinnie wrote:
With the exception of Karaoke.net and Karaoke-version.com as the goto guys for "Buy on the fly" options.

You do know that Karaoke Version is for personal use only right? You can't use their tracks for professional use.

Not quite true. I have an email exchange with Karaoke Version that says that as a professional Karaoke Host, I have permission to use their songs. I spelled out that they would be used for shows that I am being paid for. All that is needed to make it legal is for the venues to be paying for the Performer's Rights fees.

If this is true, wouldn't it be better for KV to post it in their "Terms of Use?" This way there won't be any misinterpretation of their rules.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:42 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I mentioned that to them more than once.
Re-Sound karaoke licensing here in Canada gave us the Ok to use them. The Venue pays the Re-Sound fees.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:53 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 116 times
I guess I will send them an email so I can have something in writing from their company. Thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:18 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

send to karaoke-version, and also send one with karaoke versions "quote" email to your Music Licensing rep.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:14 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

As long as the product is legal to begin with there's nothing stopping anyone from purchasing and reselling that item whether or not it's been geo-blocked. The "First Sale Doctrine" allows the buyer of any legal product to resell that product to anyone whom he/she pleases. There was a Supreme Court case about 5 or 6 years ago whereby a student (I believe he was Chinese or Taiwanese) purchased some text books for an outrageously low price in his country as compared to the price here in the states and then resold them back here in the states for a lot less than what the company that sued him was selling them for. The company sued the student but the SC upheld the student's right to resell those text books once he purchased them. It's why some karaoke companies for example will sell all of its inventory to a distribution company that it may have either a whole or fractional interest in in order to avoid the sunset clauses on "sync" licensing deals.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next