KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - What happened to PEP? Getting annoyed! Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:00 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
Smoothedge69 wrote:
So Rexxx, who ARE you?? Have we heard of you, and your music??

My profile has my site

In USA the FBI banned my music from USA airwaves. Reason my song Vigin(ia) Mary(land) sacrifices was the blueprint for the DC Sniper event.

My 2016 music video about quakes and hurricanes and terrorism and mass shootings has a map putting every recent event this year in USA on one of the five lines of my Pentagram.

Hence the names
The Legend
The Prophet

So my original music has a message it's now being called PROPHECY MUSIC.

I have huge fan base all over world under several artist names for my prophecies.

After 911 I was a top 50 search term on the net, headlines all around the world I nailed the 911 event.

Then I nailed DC Sniper.

Then other events.

Now my music videos are showing humanity here's your near future, the cleanup is coming move to high ground or the asteroid Tsunamis kill you.

So inside USA not many know me, outside USA I'm well known.

Just Google Rex Luciferius

That's me.

I've been selling music since 1995 through my own network, lol, I don't need iTunes.

But now I'm there Will.I.AM new Indy company just dropped 25 of my originals.

So in UK, Europe and Asia and South America I have fans. Not the level of a label artist, but nice levels for Indy Band.

It's why I'm top 50-100 on RverbNation globally out of 20,000 ranked bands.

Now for any one to bash an Indy Artist so highly ranked shows that person is clueless.

U don't get major global ranking on ReverbNation unless you move numbers.
Local ranks are easy RN.
Global ranks are real.

Music is art, I'll put my global numbers up against any Indy band. I'm one of top Indy bands period.

Yet few know bands outside what the Big 3 companies control.

Lol

If you know the Indy Scene or heard of the Pentagram of Blood phenomena you know me.

If you live inside the USA 99.99% chance you are a controlled consumer robot that thinks Justin Bieber or Kanye is music.

Lol

Or search Spotify - iTunes - Amazon - SoundCloud - ReverbNation

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:09 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

MrBoo wrote:
Smoothedge69 wrote:
So Rexxx, who ARE you?? Have we heard of you, and your music??

There is a link of sorts in the mic cup thread over at the lounge. I don't think its a gag site but I sure hope for his sake that it is. That site appears to be a lot of time and effort into something destined for a cliff dive.

That's why baskin Robbins has 32 flavors

Music is art not everyone likes art or most like commercial pulp

My profile has my site

Just Google

Rex Luciferius

I have fans all over the world

I have a top 100 global ranking ReverbNation

My SoundCloud accounts have over 40 million plays

Will.I.AMs new Indy music company just dropped 25 singles of my original indie music

So I have fans all over, now that I'm with Will.I.AMs company I will be growing my base in the usual digital stores and streamers.

For over 20 years my own network has distributed my art or music.

Now I'm letting it go mainstream via Will.I.Ams company.

I like what he's trying to do in Indie community so I chose his new company.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:43 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
Rexxx wrote:
PEP
PREDATORY ENTERTAINMENT PIRATES
1. Soundchoice went out of biz, after appelate judges laughed at them.
2. PEP a group of mostly lawyers bought trademark and catalog rights
3. PEP sold catalog to Stingray.

At the end of 2014, the Sound Choice business, which was owned and run at that time by Slep-Tone Entertainment Corporation, was reorganized. A new company, Phoenix Entertainment Partners, LLC, was formed to take over the Sound Choice business. The owner of Slep-Tone was (and is) Kurt Slep. Kurt is the majority owner of Phoenix, and he continues to operate the business. "Sound Choice" did not go out of business.

I can also tell you that I have been counsel for every appellate case that Slep-Tone or Phoenix has ever been involved with, except one (and I was very much involved in that case, just not as counsel). No appellate judge has ever "laughed at" our cases, and despite what you may have heard, we have won many more appellate cases than we've lost.

PEP is not "a group of mostly lawyers." Its members are Kurt Slep (who owns the majority interest) and a silent partner.

PEP did not "sell the catalog to Stingray." The Sound Choice catalog, as it stood then, was sold to Stingray in April 2007 (7 years before PEP even existed) and licensed back for karaoke sales.

Rexxx wrote:
When real lawyers got involved defending SC cases, discovery revealed almost no mechanical licenses obtained and no royalties to original publishers and artists paid.

A mechanical license is useless for a karaoke track, because karaoke tracks, as audiovisual works, are not eligible for mechanical licenses. Karaoke requires a much more complicated, individually negotiated, non-compulsory license.

"Artists" are not entitled to royalties for re-recorded tracks. If you re-record "I Will Always Love You" in a style that imitates Whitney Houston's version of that song, the royalty gets paid to Dolly Parton (who wrote the song), not to the estate of Whitney Houston (who didn't write it).

Over the course of 24 years of production, Slep-Tone created 16,103 karaoke tracks. Almost all of them were properly licensed at the time of production. Those that weren't, were unlicensed primarily because of clerical errors. On the handful of occasions were music publishers sued for infringement, every last contention was resolved to the satisfaction of all parties, without a judgment.

Rexxx wrote:
So the biggest PIRATE was SC.

Not even close.

Rexxx wrote:
Now all PEP is trying to sue over is use of the SC TM when a file loads.

Actually, PEP sues for the unauthorized use of the Sound Choice service mark in connection with karaoke entertainment services; for use of the Sound Choice trademark on pirated karaoke tracks; and for infringement of our copyrights--which, by the way, include not only the remaining Sound Choice catalog not sold to Stingray, but also more than 6,500 Chartbuster Karaoke tracks.

Rexxx wrote:
Cases get tossed as soon as defendant raises a few legal issues.

A. No real harm to PEP when their TM shows it's fair use and you don't need permission.

No defendant in any of our cases has won a motion to dismiss or summary judgment on a fair use theory.

Rexxx wrote:
B. They lost media shifting argument.

No defendant has ever won a motion to dismiss or summary judgment on the basis that they were merely media-shifting. In the fewer than 10 occasions where a defendant was able to show 1:1 correspondence (out of more than 1,500 defendants sued), we dismissed the cases voluntarily.

Rexxx wrote:
C. Their suits are viewed as frivolous and double dipping.

No defendant has ever won a ruling that our suit was frivolous or constituted "double dipping."

Rexxx wrote:
D. Proper venue for such IP actions is WIPO not local courts.

Where do you come up with this stuff? The World Intellectual Property Organization (an arm of the United Nations) administers certain international agreements related to intellectual property, such as the Paris Convention and the Madrid Protocol, which are mechanisms for obtaining patent and trademark rights in other countries. It does offer certain dispute resolution services, such as arbitration under the ICANN Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy, but those aren't relevant to us.

Rexxx wrote:
Just ask any artist if they ever got one cent from SC or PEP.

"Artists" don't receive royalties from any karaoke producer. They aren't entitled to any under the law.

Rexxx wrote:
I hear a huge class action is forming against PEP by artists.

Now THAT would be a frivolous lawsuit.

Rexxx wrote:
The only legitimate company to ever pay artist royalties on what SC created is YouTube.

"Artist royalties" on YouTube content would go to the creator of that content--provided it was properly licensed--which would be either PEP or Stingray, depending on that content. Neither PEP nor Stingray has licensed that content to YouTube.

Rexxx wrote:
Support the artists stream YouTube.

How about you support the artists by buying the music you're using? That's how artists actually get compensated.

Rexxx wrote:
Pretty much every bar in USA pays artists to use music through ASCAP so as an artist I'm stating publicly use YT streams then the artists will see some royalties.

ASCAP doesn't pay one red cent to "artists." They collect royalties for songwriters and music publishers and distribute those royalties to the songwriters and music publishers. "Artists" get nothing.

Rexxx wrote:
However, artists are already being paid by ASCAP for music DJs and KJ's use.

No, they aren't. And if all that's being used is a sound recording, the artist gets nothing anyway, because the Copyright Act does not provide for a public performance right for sound recordings.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:49 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
8) Jimbo you still alive? Somebody said you was dead. I guess you can't believe everything you hear, still no Christmas Card from you we still on the list? Happy Holidays, or is it the Nightmare Before Christmas? I'll have to check under my bed and make sure no PEP agents are there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:56 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Rexxx wrote:
In USA the FBI banned my music from USA airwaves.

The FBI does not have the authority to ban music from anywhere, except maybe FBI offices.

The FCC doesn't even have that authority. They can, however, restrict the use of public airwaves to broadcast indecent content during hours when children are likely to be able to access it. See Federal Communications Commission v. Pacifica Foundation, 438 U.S. 726 (1978) (upholding FCC action based on George Carlin's "Filthy Words" routine, broadcast by Pacifica during afternoon hours); Reno v. American Civil Liberties Union, 521 U.S. 844 (1997) (holding the content-based restrictions in the Communications Decency Act unconstitutional).

The FCC can also "ban" obscene content from the public airwaves, but the standard for what constitutes "obscenity" is very high: It must appeal to the prurient interest. It must depict or describe, in an offensive way, sexual conduct or excretory functions. And the work, taken as a whole, must lack serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value.

I doubt very much that you would agree that your music meets the last criterion--no matter how objectively awful it might be--so I'm guessing the lack of popularity of your work in the U.S. must be attributable to some other factor.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:47 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Old story it happened in 2002

When DC Sniper event happened the FBI told DJs not to play my song I was the lead suspect initially.

There's a documentary out about it.

LEGEND

The LEGEND of Rex Luciferius.

It happened.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:52 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Oh PEP guy, ARTISTS to me include.
Songwriters (lyric writers)
Music composers
While the 1972 act gave some rights in USA to performers, to me the ART is what was written.

So ARTISTS means the people that created the words and melodies.

Until 1972 singers or performers had NO RIGHTS.

In WIPO there are still no performer rights.

So that's what I mean by artists, the people creating words and notes or melodies.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:08 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Rexxx wrote:
Oh PEP guy, ARTISTS to me include.
Songwriters (lyric writers)
Music composers
While the 1972 act gave some rights in USA to performers, to me the ART is what was written.

Until 1972 singers or performers had NO RIGHTS.

In WIPO there are still no performer rights.

So that's what I mean by artists, the people creating words and notes or melodies.

Can you say "Goodbye"

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:23 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 242 times
Guess it didn't take too long to expose that arrogant fool. We had a saying in the "hood" when I was growing up that said .... "you bullshyte the baker you get a bun, you bullshyte me you get none".

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:25 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Rexxx wrote:

Congratulations on using the term differently from literally everyone who is actually in the music industry.

And congratulations on making yourself into a liar. Slep-Tone paid literally millions of dollars in royalties to "artists" (to use your term) when it was recording and selling material. PEP also pays royalties to the publishers who participate in the HELP license--a piece of every HELP license payment goes to the participating publishers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:04 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
JimHarrington wrote:
Rexxx wrote:
I hear a huge class action is forming against PEP by artists.

Now THAT would be a frivolous lawsuit.

Not necessarily. And coming from the vice president of PEP - an attorney who's sole business now is to sue venues (and has acquired multiple ethics reprimands) - I'd say that your credibility is a bit on the shaky side...

But that's just me. There are only a couple controlled licensees left that (by contractual obligations) speak only nice of PEP. The rest have gone mysteriously silent.

PEP is still paying on the last infringement lawsuit from publishers that was not a class action right?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:55 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
I called Pep customer care and spoke with Bryan. Pep/SoundChoice is looking good in 2018 with new products available in Spring.

#GetExcited!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:23 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
Looks like we have a new PEP spokesperson!! :mrgreen: :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:32 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

i've been buying/using Soundchoice products since forever, i'm a little over-excited. Sorry guys.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:30 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
cousinvinnie wrote:
I called Pep customer care and spoke with Bryan. Pep/SoundChoice is looking good in 2018 with new products available in Spring.

#GetExcited!

Considering they (Sound Choice) haven't made anything new in almost 10 years now, what new "PRODUCTS" did Bryan say they were going to sell? Licenses to use the GEM Series and ChartBuster Series does not count as a product.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:30 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
cueball wrote:
cousinvinnie wrote:

#GetExcited!

Considering they (Sound Choice) haven't made anything new in almost 10 years now, what new "PRODUCTS" did Bryan say they were going to sell? Licenses to use the GEM Series and ChartBuster Series does not count as a product.

that's easy Cue...
just send in your deposit of $150 and you will get access to what new music they decide to make...
if they get licensing
and if they get a studio
and if they get enough pre-orders sight unseen
but be aware...if they do NOT get enough pre-orders, we will all be called pirates again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:02 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
cousinvinnie wrote:

#GetExcited!

Knowing what we know regarding their business practices, I view purchasing anything from PEP in the same light as paying someone to give me the plague. But to each his own I guess.

Knowing what we know regarding new PEPs products, I would not hold my breath if I were you. I certainly would recommend you gain access to those shiny new products before giving them your hard earned money.

I could understand your excitement if this were Sound Choice 12 years ago. They were the only company putting out consistently decent tracks. That isn't the case any longer on several front. They aren't puting out decent tracks, and now others are. You should channel your excitement to Karaoke Version, the Sunfly, Zoom, etc, you can get and be done with it. But to each his own I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:19 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Are future Zoom tracks or Music Mr. Entertainer tracks even available in North America? Probably not after the crap they just went through.

I believe in the Pep/SoundChoice company. "They sold their soul, so we can continue to Rock and Roll"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:24 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
On May 28, 2015 Sound Choice (user name) post this statement:

Hello to all our faithful supporters and the supporters of fair and legitimate karaoke business practices. As Jim mentioned, we are excited about the prospects for the industry going forward and of course for the Sound Choice® brand.

A quick read through some of these early comments seems to be an attempt to determine "winners" and "losers" in the lawsuit. I believe it should be clear that the "losers" are the pirates who continue to damage the industry, Sound Choice, the publishers and fellow KJs.

While Phoenix has to assess our exact plans for NEW music going forward, as Mr. Harrington mentioned, we recognize the importance of being able to release new music for the health of the industry and to be able to help legitimate hosts compete against pirates. New music (the "carrot") will be released to HELP and GEM Licensees and Certified hosts. Phoenix will also be able to redirect its energy and resources to ramp up its litigation efforts (the "stick") in more areas. We believe this ramped up "carrot and stick" strategy will revitalize the industry and make it profitable and respectable to be a professional karaoke host again. While we recognize that we won't be able to cut out piracy altogether, if the remaining pirates are relegated to playing dive bars with 3 singers in rotation using counterfeit Backstage and Music Maestro branded tracks, I believe that Phoenix Entertainment would declare "victory".

We look forward to working with legitimate karaoke hosts in making this happen - and we invite those who might have been waiting to see if Sound Choice survived before deciding to "pay up" to go ahead and get legitimate - NOW. You are more likely to make more money being a Sound Choice customer than a Sound Choice infringer.

Since then we have seen ZERO new music and one time since SC/PEP collected money for advanced sales and still no new music. Some folks never received a refund, but JH did say that SC/PEP would refund it IF REQUESTED

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:33 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
cousinvinnie wrote:
Are future Zoom tracks or Music Mr. Entertainer tracks even available in North America? Probably not after the crap they just went through.

I believe in the Pep/SoundChoice company. "They sold their soul, so we can continue to Rock and Roll"

Sound Choice went through several similar battles as the recent litigation. I doubt it really changes much from a track availability standpoint. Probably the bigger question is will those over seas suppliers do what it takes to sell in the States? Sunfly is working toward it. Karaoke Version has never wavered. Zoom is still available through 3rd party purchases. All are provide much more to get excited about than more frail, empty comments in a phone call to PEP. None of the other options, by the way, ask me to sell my soul which I find refreshing.

I'll not rain on your enthusiasm further. But Peps practices and empty promises are worth mentioning on occasion just in case there are new readers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next