KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - A question for Harrington Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:16 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 226 times
djdon wrote:
With the exception of the GEM series, PEP should be sued by Stingray (or whoever now owns the music that the SC trademark is being associated with) for allowing the use of music PEP doesn't own or control in association with the trademark. Or at the VERY least be forced to dissolve the HELP "license".

"Don't use our music with your trademark."

I thought Kurt Slep owns PEP (SC) and his brother Derrick Slep owns Stingray.

So he should sue his own brother?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:51 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
johnreynolds wrote:
djdon wrote:
With the exception of the GEM series, PEP should be sued by Stingray (or whoever now owns the music that the SC trademark is being associated with) for allowing the use of music PEP doesn't own or control in association with the trademark. Or at the VERY least be forced to dissolve the HELP "license".

Only if he's willing to settle out of court.. :angel:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:23 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
johnreynolds wrote:
djdon wrote:

Derek doesn't own Stingray but he's in charge of US music licensing for Stingray. Funny how that nepotism zhit works, huh?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/derekslep

Still doesn't make what PEP is doing right, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:49 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

djdon wrote:
johnreynolds wrote:
djdon wrote:

Derek doesn't own Stingray but he's in charge of US music licensing for Stingray. Funny how that nepotism zhit works, huh?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/derekslep

Still doesn't make what PEP is doing right, though.

Quote:
Pizza Delivery
Brindisi's Pizza
September 1983 – January 1985 (1 year 5 months)

The last time I ever worked for anyone ...
( or had a job interview...)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:18 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Quote:

Derek was an agent for the Stingray catalog and left that role 1 1/2 years ago to pursue other non-karaoke interests.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:56 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

So, then yes. Stingray SHOULD sue PEP for complicity in copyright infringement. Without illegally copied music, the HELP "license" is worthless.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:42 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

KSFGROUP wrote:
Quote:

Derek was an agent for the Stingray catalog and left that role 1 1/2 years ago to pursue other non-karaoke interests.

Perhaps he should update his "Linkedin" profile then.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:49 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
djdon wrote:
So, then yes. Stingray SHOULD sue PEP for complicity in copyright infringement. Without illegally copied music, the HELP "license" is worthless.
Right, so let's look at this logically:
#1. PEP claims it's only licensing the trademark/quality with the help license.
#2. They do NOT "license the music"
#3. They require a licensee to indemnify them against the copyright infringement that is committed when a licensee downloads and uses (unauthorized) third party intellectual property.
#4. In some areas, they charge $500 a MONTH to "rent their trademark" because they don't own anything else... (their attempt to sue for trade dress alone went exactly nowhere in Illinois)

If a KJ uses their logic that "it's cheaper to pay the penalty than it is to pay for permission" then they'd just scrub off the trademark and in one year save $6,000.00 because either way, they are still committing copyright infringement. But there would be no "trade/service mark" displayed...

And I would agree with djdon that what they are doing might as well be their own version of vicarious infringement.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:53 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

c. staley wrote:
djdon wrote:
Right, so let's look at this logically:
#1. PEP claims it's only licensing the trademark/quality with the help license.
#2. They do NOT "license the music"
#3. They require a licensee to indemnify them against the copyright infringement that is committed when a licensee downloads and uses (unauthorized) third party intellectual property.
#4. In some areas, they charge $500 a MONTH to "rent their trademark" because they don't own anything else... (their attempt to sue for trade dress alone went exactly nowhere in Illinois)

If a KJ uses their logic that "it's cheaper to pay the penalty than it is to pay for permission" then they'd just scrub off the trademark and in one year save $6,000.00 because either way, they are still committing copyright infringement. But there would be no "trade/service mark" displayed...

And I would agree with djdon that what they are doing might as well be their own version of vicarious infringement.

Anyone care to wager a guess as to whether PEP sought permission to use or associate the music that doesn't belong to them from the actual music owners?

OR, maybe PEP is greasing Stingray on the side. Now THAT... would make sense.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:25 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
8) All of this is really meaningless. I was in the business 20 years and was never sued for anything. Most hosts go through their entire professional karaoke careers and are never sued. The only time any of this is brought to the fore front is when PEP is beating the bushes trying to get money out of the gullible. So much time and effort have been wasted on this subject. I guess I should count myself lucky that I got in made mine and got out, without having to pay tribute to some passe karaoke company that can't move on, and lives in the past. Sort of like the high school jock who only remembers his past glory days and is still married to the cheerleader. :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:23 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

djdon wrote:

Since the Gem series lawsuit with EMI which Stingray was included in, but settled out early, I doubt that Stingray would give Kurt the time of day

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:02 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

c. staley wrote:
djdon wrote:

Since the Gem series lawsuit with EMI which Stingray was included in, but settled out early, I doubt that Stingray would give Kurt the time of day

Then, I'd think Stingray would HAVE to know about the HELP 'license'. And if they didn't have some kind of deal with PEP, why would they NOT sue?

It's like PEP saying, 'we're not telling you to do anything illegal, but we'll sell you exactly what you need to blow up this building with the understanding that, if you do, we had nothing to do with it.'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:22 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
djdon wrote:
c. staley wrote:
djdon wrote:

Then, I'd think Stingray would HAVE to know about the HELP 'license'. And if they didn't have some kind of deal with PEP, why would they NOT sue?

It's like PEP saying, 'we're not telling you to do anything illegal, but we'll sell you exactly what you need to blow up this building with the understanding that, if you do, we had nothing to do with it.'

There HAS to be some deal between Sleppy/Peppy and Stingray. If not, Harrington wouldn't be looking to rat on KJs who use Stingray songs in their shows. He even said, once, that he would bring suit against anyone caught using Stingray, himself. I do not get how that would work, since he doesn't work for them..................but.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:50 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
Smoothedge69 wrote:
I do not get how that would work, since he doesn't work for them..................but.

tin foil hat time....
do we KNOW he doesn't? :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:09 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
Smoothedge69 wrote:
I do not get how that would work, since he doesn't work for them..................but.

tin foil hat time....
do we KNOW he doesn't? :shock:

HMMMM.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:36 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
Smoothedge69 wrote:

Why? The deal PEP offers is to look the other way when you display a trademark. That's it. You are liable for all the other rights you are violating and Stingray could easily peruse those that struck the deal with the devil if they so desire. I would imagine, Stingray could even get a list of people who have signed this agreement if they pushed hard enough for it in court.

I could just as easily strike a deal with anyone that says they can show my trademark on stingray music if they were stupid enough to agree to it. I wouldn't need Stingray's permission at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:55 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

MrBoo wrote:
Smoothedge69 wrote:

Why? The deal PEP offers is to look the other way when you display a trademark. That's it. You are liable for all the other rights you are violating and Stingray could easily peruse those that struck the deal with the devil if they so desire. I would imagine, Stingray could even get a list of people who have signed this agreement if they pushed hard enough for it in court.

I could just as easily strike a deal with anyone that says they can show my trademark on stingray music if they were stupid enough to agree to it. I wouldn't need Stingray's permission at all.

The issue is, the HELP 'license' is worthless without Stingray's music. Stingray's music (what used to be Sound Choice's music) is now possessed by those that have committed copyright infringement (copied, made copies or received or purchased copied music files without owning the original music source, like the cd). The HELP 'license' ENCOURAGES copyright infringement. Personally, I'd be scared to death to use the HELP 'license'. How stupid can one be?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:35 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
djdon wrote:
The issue is, the HELP 'license' is worthless without Stingray's music. Stingray's music (what used to be Sound Choice's music) is now possessed by those that have committed copyright infringement (copied, made copies or received or purchased copied music files without owning the original music source, like the cd). The HELP 'license' ENCOURAGES copyright infringement. Personally, I'd be scared to death to use the HELP 'license'. How stupid can one be?

Allegedly, PEPCHOICE owns some of the songs and rights to them. How many is a very gray area.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:34 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

djdon wrote:
That's exactly what they're saying because in order to receive any value from their product, you have to be willing to knowingly commit copyright infringement. PEP knows this and that's why their contract specifically states that you can't sue PEP for your infringement of a third party's rights (which they acknowledge they cannot grant you in the first place.)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:13 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

c. staley wrote:
djdon wrote:
That's exactly what they're saying because in order to receive any value from their product, you have to be willing to knowingly commit copyright infringement. PEP knows this and that's why their contract specifically states that you can't sue PEP for your infringement of a third party's rights (which they acknowledge they cannot grant you in the first place.)

Well, it seems like IF a KJ was sued, and he offers up his "Contract" as a defense, would the suit then include PEP/SC?

I need to think on that a bit.

So, it's true the KJ did promise not to sue, but that document implicates PEP?
:withstupid:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next