KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - If PEP stopped suing? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:12 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
8) So Jim if you are doing all the collecting on this insurance scam of yours, and you are paying others does that make you the "bag man"?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:27 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
JimHarrington wrote:
earthling12357 wrote:
In addition, I would like to state that I am not opposed to suing pirates or those who seek to profit through piracy. I just think there is a better way to do it.

I'm all ears.

you could start by suing pirates.
your certified hosts report them, so that would be a place to start.
instead of walking into a bar blindly, go where your hosts know they are.
i bet some of your certified hosts even give you name, address, phone number, time and day of shows and venues along with what to look for with those particular hosts.
and i bet those reported pirates are not just still there, but growing and expanding...
wanna bet me?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:11 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
earthling12357 wrote:
In addition, I would like to state that I am not opposed to suing pirates or those who seek to profit through piracy. I just think there is a better way to do it.

I'm all ears.

i bet some of your certified hosts even give you name, address, phone number, time and day of shows and venues along with what to look for with those particular hosts.
and i bet those reported pirates are not just still there, but growing and expanding...
wanna bet me?

8) You forget Paradigm pirate hosts have little or no assets to attach, the legal strategy is to go after the deep pockets, the venues. A move that puts all hosts at risk legal as well as illegal. I just wonder how many legal hosts would turn in other legal hosts just to throw a wrench into their successful business? As far as the pirates expanding that is already happening since it is accepted that more illegal hosts have joined their ranks than PEP has been able to eliminate.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:48 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
earthling12357 wrote:

I'm all ears.

wanna bet me?

With all due respect--and I know we haven't yet followed through on what we were planning in Arizona, because of some circumstances that were out of our control--the fact that we may not have sued specific pirates you might want us to sue does not mean we don't sue any pirates.

We sue pirate operators in essentially every suit we file. Not just venues, but operators.

My request to earthling was not an invitation to complain that we're not doing something that we actually do.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:18 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

JimHarrington wrote:

With all due respect--and I know we haven't yet followed through on what we were planning in Arizona, because of some circumstances that were out of our control--the fact that we may not have sued specific pirates you might want us to sue does not mean we don't sue any pirates.

We sue pirate operators in essentially every suit we file. Not just venues, but operators.

My request to earthling was not an invitation to complain that we're not doing something that we actually do.

8) Excuse me Jim haven't you said that suing the operators is a waste of time? Didn't you go over the cost involved in bringing one case to trial, wasn't it several thousand dollars, according to you? That the only cost effective way to go about this is to go after the venue that hires the operators. All the operator does is provide customers for the venue, according to you the venue and the operator are partners. Unless you can link the two you can't sue both together. The venue is the primary target since they are the deep pockets. The operator him or herself is just a secondary target. If possible you are going to license the operators anyway absolving them of their past sins.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:42 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
JimHarrington wrote:
In 5 years, they've apparently been unable to find a single law firm in the entire state of Arizona that will take their ironclad case on contingency...

JimHarrington wrote:
Oh yeah, you "sue them" alright...
JimHarrington wrote:
How many of you cheered on Kevin Cable? How many gave money to him to fight against us? How many came in here and gave us grief for going after him?

The man is a straight-up pirate. Whether he gets called to account for it in court is up in the air, but there really isn't any disputing the fact that he pirated 80% of his SC tracks.
And what was the ultimate outcome? You simply dismissed him.... and you probably wonder why KJ's that "report pirates" have lost all faith in your promises...

JimHarrington wrote:
Is this your new "catch and release program?" You know, the one where you let all the little pirates swim away to spawn new venues for you to sue?

Brilliant!

Oh, and in case you forgot Mr. Harrington, you posted this directly as a response to Paradigm Karaoke on Sept. 27, 2016:
JimHarrington wrote:
We are not "ignoring" the pirates you're referring to. It just takes time to get to them--it's more than just a will to go after them; we have to have qualified investigators, solid leads, and an available attorney. I just signed an agreement with a new attorney in your area on Friday, which is the final piece we've been looking for.

Hey Paradigm: Any lawsuits in your area in the last 6 months? Maybe your leads just ain't "solid" enough.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:18 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
JimHarrington wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
earthling12357 wrote:

I'm all ears.

wanna bet me?

you said you were all ears.
the legit hosts like me (and others here as well) did the right thing
did exactly as we were asked to do and made it a bit easier for you, not having to spend time and money investigating us.
we then proceded to hand you pirates on a silver platter, again saving you time and money investigating legit hosts.
just like a fish finder, you can spend all day randomly casting, but with a fish finder pointing the way, your odds of catching something go up dramatically, legit hosts were your fish finder.
we helped you out, and all that was asked for in return was that you follow through and get these guys (and i am not just talking about this case, but for all of us with every pirate who we've reported)
we helped you, all we ask....is that you help us in return.
taking out those specific pirates would help us out as much as it helps you out.
Been scratching your back since 2010, why is it too much to ask that you scratch ours?

you said you were all ears to a better way that you have not tried, turning your focus to the reports of your certified hosts and GEM licensees is a better way you have not tried.
and remember, legit hosts have no reason to steer you wrong. the certified hosts and GEM licensees are already the good guys, doing the right thing. i know if i steer you wrong, you will never trust me again and in the end that will hurt me. we have all put too much effort into doing business the right way to do something so damaging.

and we are not talking about reporting "technical infringers" either. i have several, but i'm not going to waste my time or your time and money with a technical infringer. but when we talk about 1:7 multi-riggers, 150k 0:1 torrent downloader, playing SC from Youtube, that is a different story and what i am talking about.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:10 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
I know I reported several in this area. One 'venue' I know the venue stole a kj's hard drive, fired him and is still operating with it. It was reported back in Sound Choice web page days.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:37 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Lonman wrote:
I know I reported several in this area. One 'venue' I know the venue stole a kj's hard drive, fired him and is still operating with it. It was reported back in Sound Choice web page days.

Those days were 4 years ago.

Suffice it to say that after this many years, the phrase should have been; "I'm all deaf ears."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:19 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Notice that Harrington has completely avoided Paradigm's comment, hoping no doubt the thread would simply quietly fade into obscurity....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:12 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 108 times
With the latest Federal District court rulings; I think Jim is terrified of taking one of these KJs to court and losing BIGLY. It's safer to just threaten to sue venues in hopes that they will just settle rather than go to court. the average venue is not checking out Karaoke Bulletin Boards looking for information on these trolling adventures.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:42 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
Karaoke Croaker wrote:
With the latest Federal District court rulings; I think Jim is terrified of taking one of these KJs to court and losing BIGLY. It's safer to just threaten to sue venues in hopes that they will just settle rather than go to court. the average venue is not checking out Karaoke Bulletin Boards looking for information on these trolling adventures.

Hopefully since they will need a lawyer to deal with the lawsuit, they hire the proper attorney and they will do the research.

I'm not a fan about the lawsuits vs the venues. Unlike a KJ who knows where their tracks come from, venues are kind of in the dark because they are hiring the KJ. I've never heard about a venue checking to make sure that the karaoke they are running is legal. Venues that self host are a completely different story, however, and should be treated as if they were like KJs.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:12 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
The benefit to the KJs is that they could copy their discs to their computers, and not have to worry about PEP coming after them, or making them pay, a second time, for content they already paid for. There would be no need for a H.E.L.P. license, either. As for the venues, they wouldn't have to worry about getting sued. KJs, could also, buy content from Stingray, and not have to worry about PEP bothering them about that, since PEP seems to refuse to sell their remaining catalog as single song downloads. As for piracy, in my area, it wouldn't matter, either way. They have never been through here. The same pirates and shifters have been working here for years.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:01 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
Smoothedge69 wrote:
KJs, could also, buy content from Stingray, and not have to worry about PEP bothering them about that, since PEP seems to refuse to sell their remaining catalog as single song downloads.

Why would you say that? PEP can't refuse to sell something that they don't own.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:50 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

KSFGROUP wrote:
Smoothedge69 wrote:
KJs, could also, buy content from Stingray, and not have to worry about PEP bothering them about that, since PEP seems to refuse to sell their remaining catalog as single song downloads.

Why would you say that? PEP can't refuse to sell something that they don't own.

He's referring to the portion of our catalog that we still own, which we aren't currently selling.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:27 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) Really Jim there is something you are not trying to make a buck on? I don't believe it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:37 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
He's referring to the portion of our catalog that we still own, which we aren't currently selling.

Aren't currently selling or can't currently sell even to your licensees?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:37 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
8) Really Jim there is something you are not trying to make a buck on? I don't believe it.

They are (technically) a business, making money is what they are supposed to do.

How they make the majority of their money is the problem most of us have. I'm sure many of us would rather they make money off making karaoke tracks then suing, but that's how PEP rolls. :?

If you liked what PEP put on the table, and signed the contract to lease the GEM series, there isn't anything wrong with that business choice.

But in reference to the topic: If PEP stopped suing, they might go out of business.

c. staley wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:

Aren't currently selling or can't currently sell even to your licensees?

Staley is right on the mark here, PEP doesn't have anything to sell... yet. I don't think anyone can outright buy a GEM set from you if they wanted to.

What they ARE selling is insurance products that keep you out of PEP's cross-hairs if you aren't leasing the GEM set from them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:02 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
Toastedmuffin wrote:
How they make the majority of their money is the problem most of us have. I'm sure many of us would rather they make money off making karaoke tracks then suing, but that's how PEP rolls. :?

I don't care how PEP or anyone else here makes their money so long as they do so within the bounds of the law and don't disadvantage other businesses that operate within the law.

If you want to hold PEP to some moral standard just realize that your standard does not necessarily reflect the standards of anyone around you.

There are some who want to hold PEP to a moral standard they don't or can't adhere to themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:11 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Toastedmuffin wrote:
Staley is right on the mark here, PEP doesn't have anything to sell... yet. I don't think anyone can outright buy a GEM set from you if they wanted to.

The reason why we have not made our "owned" catalog available for purchase is because doing so would require new licensing (particularly royalty advances). This material did not sell well to begin with, so it is not worth paying the royalty advances necessary to release it at this point. It may be worth it in the future.

We do not "outright sell" the GEM series at all. That was a conscious choice on our part, as part of our anti-piracy strategy (which has been enormously successful--even to this day, there has never been a confirmed instance of actual GEM tracks on torrents). We continue to own all of the GEM series discs (which we purchased from the producer). GEM series licensees are given restricted possession and use of the discs for a definite term.

We could, however, decide to sell them outright, and we could do so without any additional licensing (in other words, they were fully and properly licensed at the time of production).

Toastedmuffin wrote:
What they ARE selling is insurance products that keep you out of PEP's cross-hairs if you aren't leasing the GEM set from them.

I think it's important to remember that--legally and morally--what stands between the piracy and legitimate use of "red logo" tracks, at least from the perspective of our rights in those tracks, is merely our permission. (That's always the case with intellectual property.) We're not selling insurance. We are selling our permission, not insurance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next