KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - PEP entertainment Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: PEP entertainment
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:28 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
That would be true, cueball, except that we do put a lot of pirate hosts out of business, both directly and by forcing venues to hire non-pirate hosts.

That being said, we're limited in what we can do regarding brands we don't own. Instead of criticizing us for that, how about putting pressure on the other producers to litigate?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:43 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
JimHarrington wrote:
That would be true, cueball, except that we do put a lot of pirate hosts out of business, both directly and by forcing venues to hire non-pirate hosts.

That being said, we're limited in what we can do regarding brands we don't own. Instead of criticizing us for that, how about putting pressure on the other producers to litigate?

That's all fine and dandy (that you SAY you've put Pirate KJs out of business), Us everyday KJs have seen no proof of this. Us everyday KJs don't go scouring through those legal websites to view cases, and even if we did, those facts are not included in there. You have Non-Disclosure agreements with these people, so not a word can be spoken about it (although, I don't see what you would be able to do about it if a KJ said something like, "Yeah! SC/PEP sued me and forced me to get out of the business." ... not that a KJ would likely want to talk about that anyway). I've said this before.... you should make it PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE that such and such lost against you for blatant piracy, and is no longer allowed to work in this business. I wouldn't be surprised in the least, if you put a pirate KJ out of business (as a settlement in one of your lawsuits), that the same Pirate didn't come back into the business under a different name. KJs know each other, and I'm sure that if one of those banned Pirate KJs was seen hosting a new show, you would get an earful of notifications from those that are trying to run an honest show if you (SC/PEP) were to make these things public knowledge.

With regard to Venues, that statement (highlighted in Red) is not quite accurate. You may be putting pressure on some Venues as to whom they hire, but you are not necessarily restricting them from still hiring a Pirate Host. In that regard, your main restriction is that the Host being hired is at least one of the following:
1. The KJ is only using original discs.
2. The KJ is a Registered GEM Licensee.
3. The KJ is registered on your website as being Certified.
4. The KJ is an active participant in the HELP program.

With regard to number 4, the only people I can see subscribing to the HELP program would be the Pirate KJs (because they are not 1:1). However, they are still Pirates, even under the HELP program, because they are still using pirated SC tracks in addition to all of the other Manufacturer brands (which you have said you have no control over (highlighted in Blue)).

As to your statement about putting pressure on the other Manufactures to litigate against Pirates, who's left? Most of them are out of business or stopped producing Karaoke Tracks (Pocket Songs, Just Tracks, Pioneer, DK, Music Maestro, Stellar Music (Pop Hits Monthly), Panorama Music (Top Hits Monthly), Nikodo, Priddis, JVC, RCA). Then there's your newer brands (from the last few years) that are (from what looks like) being made out of their garages (I won't mention the names for risk of possible libel or slander). You have 3 major players now: Sunfly and Zoom (both overseas), and Karaoke Net (making a new name for themselves with their rebranded Sysbersound and Party Tyme libraries, plus their acquisition of Pocket Songs and Just Tracks library). And then there's Karaoke-Version (Online site for downloads) that's still in business (Tricerasoft seems to have cut the US off).

Didn't you approach Zoom and Sunfly years ago (when you were first starting up all these lawsuits against KJs), with a request to also sue on their behalf (if you found pirated Zoom and/or Sunfly material during your audits of a KJ's system)? And didn't they refuse your request to do so? If they refused to be involved in litigation through your efforts as a Lawyer, why would they even begin to listen to a few KJs here (in the US)?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:30 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
dvdgdry wrote:
Is it true that most all 'pirated tracks', at least those from HD sellers and torrents, are downloaded at a considerably less rate than the 192 kbps PEP is requiring for HELP license?
I don't know because I've never purchased from an HD seller (except perhaps chartbuster directly) or used torrent software. But really, why does that matter? Does it matter that a pirate uses 320, 192, 128, or 64 kpbs? It doesn't matter at all, that's a "false truth" that's been planted in your head by Harrington because he needs to try to add some stated measure of "required quality" in order to have something to sue for at a later date and act like the audio -- for which PEP no longer owns or even owns the rights to at all -- has something to do with them.

dvdgdry wrote:
Chip, if that is so, then PEP is not really supporting Pirates, at least not of their material. The host would have to delete any tracks of lesser quality (Though not necessarily human ear audibly inferior) to qualify for a HELP license and go through the audit which would display whether or not if tracks from other manus are of lesser quality, therefore pirated.
One of Harrington's favorite hobbies is "technicalities." So, "technically," yes his one-sided contract "requires" his quality standards and I doubt that anyone who has his pirate's license really uses tracks of those bitrates and why should they or even Harrington care? It's not like he's going to pop up one day and demand to check the quality as long as he gets the monthly payment -- unless he runs out of other reasons to sue, or the monthly payment stops.

dvdgdry wrote:
If other manus tracks are truly pirated, which PEP has no control over, then at least it will be apparently manifest that that particular host may be one they wish to keep an eye upon in the future.
I believe that if you sign a contract and then stop paying them, you might as well paint a big bulls eye on your backside because there are a number of technicalities he can sue you on based on the contract you sign.

dvdgdry wrote:
I read you a lot, Chip, and can not help but agree with you a lot in what you say, but I find it hard to believe that PEP has not covered themselves nor will not cover themselves in future rulings, since going after pirates appears to be their main source of income and fear type tactics. Lack of production is certainly apparent and not a source of income. I wish them to have some success in the endeavor of law suits. If only because I have paid for every track I own and I want to take advantage of Karaoke Hosting prices to increase which should occur as pirates are dealt with.
PEP only "covers themselves" in their contracts. Read one. They are about as one-sided as can possibly be written or better yet, give a copy to an attorney and ask if they'd either sign it or simply drop the brand. I'll bet that more often than not, they'd tell you to just drop it.

Also keep in mind that PEP's definition of "pirate" includes YOU if you have purchased the product and use a computer and not signed one of their one-sided agreements, marked your discs, or allow them access to your business accounting records on their demand or don't report any changes in your library. They have no qualms over suing customers and their venues and their track record proves it, period.

dvdgdry wrote:
I have no tracks under 192 and most all are 320. My numbers may be wrong. I am not looking at my laptop. But nothing below that.
And why is that since even you admit that it's "not human ear audibly inferior?" I'll say again that it just flat-out doesn't matter. It's nothing more than another point on which to sue you. They don't even have the right to grant you permission to use the track off a computer commercially to start with but they want to control the quality? Really?

dvdgdry wrote:
BTW, Purple Frog Karaoke in Ft Collins informs me that he is totally legit with all tracks. That makes 3 of us in CO that I now know of. The nearest bar to my home runs all karaoke off youtube and nothing legit. He makes what I have been making.
And since the lawsuits began in 2009, please notice that not only has the karaoke acquired more channels to be pirated directly, your status of "being legit" hasn't rendered your pirate competition less worthy than you on a monetary basis and I can only estimate that your pay is in line with the market rate in your area. You are not now, nor have your ever been, being paid a premium for your honesty.

I have maintained a higher rate of pay partially because of my diligence to protect my venues from their trolling lawsuits. My venues don't care about "karaoke brands," they care about the till and they do care more about not being sued. Because of the contracts and the ridiculous lawsuits, the brand name is nothing more than poison if you use it or allow it to be used in your venue. I can't think of a single venue that has ever been sued that didn't use the brand - not even "sued by mistake." But there are plenty of KJ's that own the discs that have been sued and their venues right along with them. So what does that tell you?

dvdgdry wrote:
Mr Harrington, as a lawyer, has got to love to banter with Chip. What better way to get incessant practice to argue a legal point !!!
His "legal points" are on the way out and I'm sure that they'll be filing as many lawsuits in the 9th district as fast as they can before those nine states are out of the "troll zone."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:57 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

JimHarrington wrote:

In my case, PEP can't "force" my venue to do diddly squat. Not diddly. Ever.

And I don't believe that any vendor should be in a position to be able to force any customer of mine to do anything.

JimHarrington wrote:
That being said, we're limited in what we can do regarding brands we don't own.
"Limited" is a bit of an untruth wouldn't you say? How about explaining to the nice KJ's out there what you "can do regarding brands we don't own?" Should be a pretty short list.

JimHarrington wrote:
Instead of criticizing us for that, how about putting pressure on the other producers to litigate?
"Earth to Harrington, Earth to Harrington!" sorry, nobody's home. I'm surprisingly not amazed that you'd suggest -- much less actually type -- something as stupid as that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:04 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
c. staley wrote:

But they did force YOU to do some diddly squat.....

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:51 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

chrisavis wrote:
c. staley wrote:

But they did force YOU to do some diddly squat.....

Wrong again, but your (misguided) determination is admirable.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:04 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

(I'm going to channel Mr. Staley for a moment.)

That's FOUR REPLIES in this thread with NO RESPONSE to my comments about your support of pirates and piracy.

... crickets chirping ...

That must mean you agree with me.

:roll:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:40 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
(I'm going to channel Mr. Staley for a moment.)

That's FOUR REPLIES in this thread with NO RESPONSE to my comments about your support of pirates and piracy.

... crickets chirping ...
Off your meds or something? Here's a couple right off the bat:
C. Staley wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
In one sense, it's good that you're now coming clean about standing on the side of piracy. The pretense otherwise was tiresome.
Please quote the portion where you claim I am "coming clean about standing on the side of piracy" because that's just another one of your (many) fabrications.

C. Staley wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
You, by contrast, encourage people who are using counterfeit products bearing the Sound Choice trademarks and trade dress to find ways to continue using those products without paying for it.

When would I have done that? In sharp contrast, I not only don't use the brand (counterfeit or original), I have "encouraged" others not to use the brand entirely. Your suggestion that I would encourage anyone under any circumstances to continue to use anything with your trademark on it is patently false and only goes to show how low you would stoop to attempt to discredit me. It really is laughable.

JimHarrington wrote:
That must mean you agree with me.
No, that must not. I understand that you would love for me to agree with you, but unfortunately, that's not about to happen any time soon.

On the other hand, seeing that you have not corrected any apparent "misinformation" in any of the replies I've posted to other people here, that must mean that you agree or you wouldn't have brought this up as a diversion and a deflection.

Your new slogan should be: "pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:48 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

I'm referring to this post specifically.

JimHarrington wrote:
c. staley wrote:
I find it quite interesting that you would continue to sue "technical infringers" (read that as "customers") with your boilerplate piracy lawsuit if you have "millions of instances" of verifiable piracy.

I left this out of my previous response because I thought it might be a good illustration of why I say that you support piracy. Perhaps you can respond to my actual statements and questions instead of what you imagine I must be thinking, and in the process convince me that you don't actually support piracy.

Why do we sue "technical infringers"? We don't seek out people we believe have 1:1 correspondence and sue them to force them to comply with the media-shifting policy. If we have reason to believe that someone actually does have 1:1 correspondence, we don't sue them. Period. There are certain characteristics that we look for in our investigations that tell us whether someone owns their discs or not. It's only an approximation, but it has been right more than 99% of the time.

That means a handful of people have slipped through the cracks. I am OK with that for the following reasons:

(1) Every disc we have ever sold includes a warning against making unauthorized copies, right there on the face of the disc, so it's not like we've hidden this policy. "Don't copy" was our policy for many years until the policy became "don't copy unless you follow the media-shifting policy."
(2) Every time we serve a lawsuit on a KJ, there is a letter that informs them that they will be promptly dropped from the suit if they can show 1:1 correspondence.
(3) We have honored the policy in no. 2 every single time the KJ has shown 1:1 correspondence, without fail.

It is simply a fact that there are millions of pirated Sound Choice-branded karaoke tracks in commercial use. There are more than 30,000 active karaoke operators in the United States. Even if only half of them (15,000) had pirated SC tracks and an average of 200 pirated tracks, that would be 3 million pirate instances. In reality, the average pirate KJ we identify has more than 8,000 pirated SC tracks, and the piracy rate among KJs we investigate exceeds 90%.

Obviously you have a problem with us suing people who turn out to be "technical infringers," even though the number of such defendants is fewer than 10 out of 1500 defendants. Your line of argument seems to be that unless we can screen out 100% of the "technical infringers," we shouldn't pursue any litigation at all.

What I can't tell by looking is whether this is:
(1) genuine concern on your part about "technical infringers," or
(2) just something you talk about to try to beat us up.

If it's genuine concern, let's talk about that. What steps should we take to do a better job of avoiding suing "technical infringers"? Since that's been one of our goals from the beginning, we're happy to listen to anyone's ideas. (This is particularly true because the cost of investigating, suing, and certifying a "technical infringer" is something we can't recover, so we'd like to avoid it if possible.)

We're all ears.

I suspect, however, that you don't have genuine concern for anyone other than Chip Staley, and you know that as long as you exile SC from your operation, we're not going to sue you. Oh, you'll try to avoid the question in part (1) by saying, "I don't work for you," but that's a cop-out. Or maybe you'll say, "You shouldn't be suing anybody because nobody cares about your brand," but that, too, is a cop-out. A wide majority of karaoke operators, pirates included, view our products as the best ones to use, and they vote in that poll by which tracks they choose. I've been to hundreds of karaoke shows over the last 7 years, and in all that time, I've been to exactly one that didn't use any SC tracks (it was a country bar, and they played 90% Chartbuster). Almost all of them used at least 50% SC. Many used 90% SC. Our brand is extremely popular.

So what you really mean when you spend all of this time attacking us and "helping" pirates get away with it--which is something you've done with great frequency over the years, such as by falsely claiming that we gave blanket permission for media-shifting years ago, or by encouraging pirates to fight us rather than getting legal and helping them organize bogus defenses--is that you want pirates to be able to operate without having to worry about being sued for their piracy, whether you're prepared to acknowledge it or not. All of that impotent rage you've directed at us is intended to have an effect. Whether the intended effect is simply the end of PEP (as revenge for your having to drop all those systems and take a day job) or a desire to clear the decks for the infringers, the result is the same. We're the only ones out there standing between legality and unrelenting piracy. If your goal is to take us out, that's pretty much the same thing as wanting pirates to win.

So, if you disagree, show me.

Don't bother to rehash your old claims about how unethical I am or what a crappy company we are. I'm not interested.

Show me what it is that you do to oppose piracy, and show me how the fury you aim at us serves that cause.

No response to it at all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:32 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
I left this out of my previous response because I thought it might be a good illustration of why I say that you support piracy. Perhaps you can respond to my actual statements and questions instead of what you imagine I must be thinking, and in the process convince me that you don't actually support piracy.
Let's see if there actually any questions here to start with.
JimHarrington wrote:
Why do we sue "technical infringers"? We don't seek out people we believe have 1:1 correspondence and sue them to force them to comply with the media-shifting policy. If we have reason to believe that someone actually does have 1:1 correspondence, we don't sue them. Period. There are certain characteristics that we look for in our investigations that tell us whether someone owns their discs or not. It's only an approximation, but it has been right more than 99% of the time.

This is where you mislead everyone: you make it sound as though all a person has to do "is show us their discs and we will turn them loose." That's about as far from the truth as you can possibly get. You don't want to see their discs, you want them to sign an on-going contract, you want them to mark their disc collection, and you want to enforce every single one of the terms in your contract. So you can tell the truth here; you're not interested in seeing their discs – you're only interested in getting a contract.
Those "technical infringers" that refused to roll over – because of your terms – continue to be sued, as well as their venues. So don't try to come off acting like some innocent victim just trying to do "the right thing."

JimHarrington wrote:
That means a handful of people have slipped through the cracks. I am OK with that for the following reasons:

(1) Every disc we have ever sold includes a warning against making unauthorized copies, right there on the face of the disc, so it's not like we've hidden this policy. "Don't copy" was our policy for many years until the policy became "don't copy unless you follow the media-shifting policy."

Let me stop you right here: the ONLY portion that you own on that disk – is the trademark. Phoenix entertainment partners did not manufacture that disk, they didn't print the disk, they didn't sell the disc 20 years ago. Unless you think that we're supposed to believe that you own the copyrights as well. We know that you don't. so you can get off your high horse immediately and stop saying that untruth that "we sold the discs" because you didn't. The company that did is out of business.

JimHarrington wrote:
(2) Every time we serve a lawsuit on a KJ, there is a letter that informs them that they will be promptly dropped from the suit if they can show 1:1 correspondence.
Does it also informed them that they will be signing a binding legal contract in order to do so? Conveniently left that little fact out of the letter didn't you?

JimHarrington wrote:
(3) We have honored the policy in no. 2 every single time the KJ has shown 1:1 correspondence, without fail.
And, In every single case where you have sued a disk owner, how many of them have not signed your contract? I can think of only one. And that doesn't include Rodney.[/u][/i] There was no investigation – and I don't care if you say "a letter in the mail is an investigation" – because it isn't. Perhaps you can explain to all of the KJ's here, why you agreed to increase the settlement percentage with APS investigations when they claimed they would tell the world that there were no investigations if you didn't. And if you would like a copy of that contract to refresh your memory, it's available on pacer. You agreed to it.. and later walked away from the lawsuit against them because you were "not interested in pursuing" over $100,000 that you say was "stolen" from you. Where's the malpractice suit against Boris? You whined that she took more than her fair share too... but you did nothing of a substantive nature against her. (oh, a "complaint with the bar" - big whoop.)

JimHarrington wrote:
It is simply a fact that there are millions of pirated Sound Choice-branded karaoke tracks in commercial use. There are more than 30,000 active karaoke operators in the United States. Even if only half of them (15,000) had pirated SC tracks and an average of 200 pirated tracks, that would be 3 million pirate instances. In reality, the average pirate KJ we identify has more than 8,000 pirated SC tracks, and the piracy rate among KJs we investigate exceeds 90%.
Prove it. Substantiate where you derived all of this "scientific-looking data." Because I think it's about as trustworthy as believing a club "voted their own Pizza #1 in the City!" Prove to all of us here that you did not make up these numbers - I challenge you to do something other than more lip service.

JimHarrington wrote:
Obviously you have a problem with us suing people who turn out to be "technical infringers," even though the number of such defendants is fewer than 10 out of 1500 defendants. Your line of argument seems to be that unless we can screen out 100% of the "technical infringers," we shouldn't pursue any litigation at all.
I would expect that any lawsuit filed in a federal court – an HONEST investigation – be exactly 100% correct. I never said – not even one time – that sound choice should not sue pirates. What I did say is that you should be 100% sure that that person doesn't own discs. You don't do that. You sue people based on how many songs they have in their song collection, or just because you think they might not have discs – it is that word "preponderance" that helps you make a living, it's certainly not "evidence."

JimHarrington wrote:
What I can't tell by looking is whether this is:
(1) genuine concern on your part about "technical infringers," or
(2) just something you talk about to try to beat us up.

If it's genuine concern, let's talk about that. What steps should we take to do a better job of avoiding suing "technical infringers"? Since that's been one of our goals from the beginning, we're happy to listen to anyone's ideas. (This is particularly true because the cost of investigating, suing, and certifying a "technical infringer" is something we can't recover, so we'd like to avoid it if possible.)

We're all ears.
Here we go again. You had over 6 years to figure out this problem. And every time you bring it up, you try to push the solution-finding portion onto someone else. And usually, it's the same group of customers – that you include in your lawsuits along with their customers. (I'm beginning to think that you're actually the slow learner here, but you have a financial interest in not learning.)

JimHarrington wrote:
I suspect, however, that you don't have genuine concern for anyone other than Chip Staley, and you know that as long as you exile SC from your operation, we're not going to sue you.
You make it sound as though not being sued by you is a bad thing.... I promise you it's not, although I'm sure it infuriates you to no end.

JimHarrington wrote:
Oh, you'll try to avoid the question in part (1) by saying, "I don't work for you," but that's a cop-out.
It's not a cop out at all – on the contrary, it's the truth. None of us professional KJ's work for you, sound choice is simply a brand of disc and the company was nothing more than a vendor. I know that you would like to inflate your status to something greater than that, but that also would be – a lie.

JimHarrington wrote:
Or maybe you'll say, "You shouldn't be suing anybody because nobody cares about your brand," but that, too, is a cop-out. A wide majority of karaoke operators, pirates included, view our products as the best ones to use, and they vote in that poll by which tracks they choose. I've been to hundreds of karaoke shows over the last 7 years, and in all that time, I've been to exactly one that didn't use any SC tracks (it was a country bar, and they played 90% Chartbuster). Almost all of them used at least 50% SC. Many used 90% SC. Our brand is extremely popular.
So? What's your point? If you are attempting to suggest that no one can operate a successful karaoke show without using your brand – you are telling yourself a lie. I used the brand for years, and I haven't lost a dime since I've dropped it.

JimHarrington wrote:
So what you really mean when you spend all of this time attacking us and "helping" pirates get away with it--which is something you've done with great frequency over the years, such as by falsely claiming that we gave blanket permission for media-shifting years ago, or by encouraging pirates to fight us rather than getting legal and helping them organize bogus defenses--is that you want pirates to be able to operate without having to worry about being sued for their piracy, whether you're prepared to acknowledge it or not.
Your refusal to believe the very words of Kurt & Derek slep from 1998 is understandable; you need that to go away for financial reasons. Otherwise, that's a great big load of your crap that you are trying to state like it's some sort of fact. In six years you have not been able to point out one single instance – NOT ONE – where you can prove that I have done any of the other things that you have described in that paragraph.

It's all patently FALSE and you know it.

I will say this: I did expose a lie to EMI that came directly off of your own former servers. And rather than admit that your client lied to the court system, you wanted to turn it around and make it sound as though I contacted EMI in order to initiate a copyright suit against you. (I laughed for hours by the way)

In a vindictive move against me, your law firm subpoenaed me for a video deposition and demanded an entire inventory of every product that I own that contains your trademark, every single communication I have ever had with anyone regarding your company name for the last five years, and everything else that they could think of that wasn't relevant to the copyright suit against you. In the meantime, your law firm did not challenge the authenticity or the truthfulness of the declaration that I provided to the court. (If you want to impeach a third-party witness counsel, you should probably first attack their declaration as being untrue or not factual. Real law schools teach this. Your law firm could not and did not do that in this case.)

In other words, I told the truth and you wanted to punish me for it. Now tell me again why anyone in their right mind should trust you?
JimHarrington wrote:
All of that impotent rage you've directed at us is intended to have an effect. Whether the intended effect is simply the end of PEP (as revenge for your having to drop all those systems and take a day job) or a desire to clear the decks for the infringers, the result is the same.
Here we go again: I didn't "have to drop anything" including your brand. And I don't believe that you are actually privy to how many years I've had a day job... so, since you seem to know so much about me, why not tell me how long I've had this day job. I will guarantee you that you that your insinuations are nothing more than lies.

JimHarrington wrote:
We're the only ones out there standing between legality and unrelenting piracy. If your goal is to take us out, that's pretty much the same thing as wanting pirates to win.
you are not "standing between legality and unrelenting piracy" at all. As a matter of fact, it appears to be quite the contrary: almost every single case over the last 6 years (and I believe you said there was at least 1500 or so) have been quietly settled and pushed under the rug – including those KJ's that pushed back. I notice that you've never given us an actual story about what happened with Expressway entertainment in New York. I would make an educated guess that you simply gave them what they wanted in order for them to shut up and go away before athe declaratory judgment the were seeking was handed down. So, if your legal theory regarding trademark infringement is so bulletproof, why didn't you all the court to make this judgment? Sounds a little fishy to me..

In Oregon, when it was finally determined by a court – they ruled against you on the legality. Again in the seventh district in Illinois, you were ruled against TWICE. Once by the court, and another time by the appellate court. So don't stand there on your pedestal and act like you are some guardian of goodness because you're not. You're simply in it for the money (you told us that time and time again) and you don't care who you have to sue to do it.

JimHarrington wrote:
So, if you disagree, show me.
Don't bother to rehash your old claims about how unethical I am or what a crappy company we are. I'm not interested.
Glad to see you are finally admitting it.

JimHarrington wrote:
Show me what it is that you do to oppose piracy,
It's interesting that you would want me to show you what I do – when you fully admit that you are not out to stop piracy, you're out to make money – and collect money from people who "stole something from you." But you are certainly not out to stop piracy – you license it with a convenient monthly fee.

JimHarrington wrote:
and show me how the fury you aim at us serves that cause.

Here's the one word that too many other people are afraid to say to you: "no."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:03 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
@ Chip:

c. staley wrote:

so you can get off your high horse immediately and stop saying that untruth that "we sold the discs" because you didn't. The company that did is out of business.

But, doesn't the company who bought out their assets now have the right to lay claim to all of that?

@ James Harrington:

Could you please take a moment away from your bickering with Chip to answer my recent response back to you?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:30 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

cueball wrote:
@ Chip:

c. staley wrote:

so you can get off your high horse immediately and stop saying that untruth that "we sold the discs" because you didn't. The company that did is out of business.

But, doesn't the company who bought out their assets now have the right to lay claim to all of that?

No. They own only the trademark, not the sales or other history of the (now defunct) company.

Can they claim that "they sold the Chartbuster discs too?"

We know they did not.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:50 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

cueball wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:

That's all fine and dandy (that you SAY you've put Pirate KJs out of business), Us everyday KJs have seen no proof of this. Us everyday KJs don't go scouring through those legal websites to view cases, and even if we did, those facts are not included in there. You have Non-Disclosure agreements with these people, so not a word can be spoken about it (although, I don't see what you would be able to do about it if a KJ said something like, "Yeah! SC/PEP sued me and forced me to get out of the business." ... not that a KJ would likely want to talk about that anyway). I've said this before.... you should make it PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE that such and such lost against you for blatant piracy, and is no longer allowed to work in this business. I wouldn't be surprised in the least, if you put a pirate KJ out of business (as a settlement in one of your lawsuits), that the same Pirate didn't come back into the business under a different name. KJs know each other, and I'm sure that if one of those banned Pirate KJs was seen hosting a new show, you would get an earful of notifications from those that are trying to run an honest show if you (SC/PEP) were to make these things public knowledge.

These are all good points. The main reason why it's hard to see the impact isn't that KJs can't talk about it, but because there are many, many more pirate KJs than we've been able to sue. But I recognize that you would like to see more of a public impact, and we'll do what we can in the future to make that happen.

cueball wrote:
With regard to Venues, that statement (highlighted in Red) is not quite accurate. You may be putting pressure on some Venues as to whom they hire, but you are not necessarily restricting them from still hiring a Pirate Host. In that regard, your main restriction is that the Host being hired is at least one of the following:
1. The KJ is only using original discs.
2. The KJ is a Registered GEM Licensee.
3. The KJ is registered on your website as being Certified.
4. The KJ is an active participant in the HELP program.

And that's also a good point, but again, we're limited in our ability to police others' materials. We do try to do that via contract, but we can't be too aggressive about it because it could be construed as a violation of the antitrust laws. It's true; a host may be square with us and still be a pirate. As much as I'd love to solve that problem, I don't have a lot of options to do so.

cueball wrote:
With regard to number 4, the only people I can see subscribing to the HELP program would be the Pirate KJs (because they are not 1:1). However, they are still Pirates, even under the HELP program, because they are still using pirated SC tracks in addition to all of the other Manufacturer brands (which you have said you have no control over (highlighted in Blue)).

An operator who is paying for a HELP license is not, in our view, using "pirated" SC tracks. Pirates don't pay for their booty.

cueball wrote:
As to your statement about putting pressure on the other Manufactures to litigate against Pirates, who's left? Most of them are out of business or stopped producing Karaoke Tracks (Pocket Songs, Just Tracks, Pioneer, DK, Music Maestro, Stellar Music (Pop Hits Monthly), Panorama Music (Top Hits Monthly), Nikodo, Priddis, JVC, RCA). Then there's your newer brands (from the last few years) that are (from what looks like) being made out of their garages (I won't mention the names for risk of possible libel or slander). You have 3 major players now: Sunfly and Zoom (both overseas), and Karaoke Net (making a new name for themselves with their rebranded Sysbersound and Party Tyme libraries, plus their acquisition of Pocket Songs and Just Tracks library). And then there's Karaoke-Version (Online site for downloads) that's still in business (Tricerasoft seems to have cut the US off).

Who's left? Party Tyme, the UK producers, KV, KSF, and Digitrax. If all of them were as agressive about enforcement as we are, the landscape would look different.

cueball wrote:
Didn't you approach Zoom and Sunfly years ago (when you were first starting up all these lawsuits against KJs), with a request to also sue on their behalf (if you found pirated Zoom and/or Sunfly material during your audits of a KJ's system)? And didn't they refuse your request to do so? If they refused to be involved in litigation through your efforts as a Lawyer, why would they even begin to listen to a few KJs here (in the US)?

It's a big misconception that anyone can sue on anyone else's behalf (with some limited exceptions that don't apply here). In order for us to sue based on infringement of Zoom or Sunfly, we would have to own the underlying intellectual property. We did at several points suggest to Zoom and Sunfly that we could help them develop a litigation program, share resources, etc., but they would have to sue in their own names. They have about the same interest in coming here to sue as we have in going there to sue. It's just too difficult to accomplish. If we could figure out a way to do it for them, maybe we could undertake that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:04 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

c. staley wrote:
cueball wrote:
@ Chip:

c. staley wrote:

No. They own only the trademark, not the sales or other history of the (now defunct) company.

Can they claim that "they sold the Chartbuster discs too?"

We know they did not.

This is what happens when people who don't understand the law try to explain it.

Trademarks do not exist in a vacuum. They symbolize the business goodwill of the company that uses them. For that reason, it's not possible, legally, to "own only the trademark." It cannot be separated from the business goodwill that it symbolizes.

Phoenix acquired all of the assets of Slep-Tone Entertainment Corporation. Those assets included trademarks, copyrights, income streams from licensing, and contracts with various customers and vendors, as well as intangible assets like the business goodwill and the ongoing business of the company (known in accounting as the "going concern value"). Phoenix is the successor-in-interest to all of the history and operations of Slep-Tone. The transaction was structured so that Phoenix stepped into Slep-Tone's shoes and continued the business. As far as the outside world is concerned, they are the same company, run (at least in part) by the same people, with the same employees in the same facilities, selling the same products, and having the same policies and procedures.

Most importantly, this kind of transaction happens all the time when a business needs to reorganize to meet certain business needs--such as, for example, when a business takes on a new investor and the structure of the existing corporation isn't suitable, for whatever reason, for that investor's interests. There may be tax implications associated with taking on an investor that make the use of the old corporation inadvisable. Or the old corporation may carry liabilities that the new investor isn't interested in taking on.

So much of your argument, Mr. Staley, is wrapped up in your effort to de-legitimize Phoenix as a business. Unfortunately, your argument isn't well informed on the law or on normal, everyday business practices, so it falls flat. I have said many times that what hurts people usually aren't the "unknown unknowns," the things that you don't know that you don't know, but the things of which you are absolutely certain, yet that simply are not so. This is an excellent example of that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:28 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

c. staley wrote:
So you can tell the truth here; you're not interested in seeing their discs – you're only interested in getting a contract.

You act like a contract is some magic document that creates indentured servitude on anyone who signs it.

The contract exists only to make clear what each side will do before, during, and after the audit. It is as much for the KJ's protection as it is for ours. I suspect that if we tried to do audits without a contract you'd complain that we refused to put in writing what we would do. (A complaint that you've had in another context.)

c. staley wrote:
Those "technical infringers" that refused to roll over – because of your terms – continue to be sued, as well as their venues. So don't try to come off acting like some innocent victim just trying to do "the right thing."

I have yet to see a person who genuinely has 1:1 correspondence refuse to cooperate with an audit if they've been sued. Doing so would be colossally stupid.

c. staley wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
Does it also informed them that they will be signing a binding legal contract in order to do so? Conveniently left that little fact out of the letter didn't you?

Here is what the letter says:

If you currently possess legitimate original media (discs) that correspond to your non-original tracks on a 1:1 basis, you have a time-limited opportunity to demonstrate that 1:1 correspondence to us through an audit process. The audit process is similar to the audit we conduct in connection with our Sound Choice Certified KJ program. There is a fee for this service. If you wish to apply for certification, you must contact us within three business days of receiving this notice. If you successfully demonstrate that your unaltered system meets the 1:1 correspondence requirement and all of the other terms of the Sound Choice Certified KJ program, we will dismiss this action.

So no, it doesn't use scary language about a "binding legal contract." But there's a very good reason for that: The "binding legal contract" simply lays out the procedures for the resolution process so that everyone is clear about what we're doing. We want operators to understand, beforehand, that failing the audit will significantly impact their ability to defend the case.

c. staley wrote:
And, In every single case where you have sued a disk owner, how many of them have not signed your contract? I can think of only one. And that doesn't include Rodney.[/u][/i]

I am not convinced that the one you're referring to is an actual disc owner. But maybe he's been foolish enough to listen to you whispering in his ear. Will you pay his damages if it turns out he could have gotten out of the lawsuit for nothing, and didn't because he listened to your idiotic advice?

c. staley wrote:
There was no investigation – and I don't care if you say "a letter in the mail is an investigation" – because it isn't. Perhaps you can explain to all of the KJ's here, why you agreed to increase the settlement percentage with APS investigations when they claimed they would tell the world that there were no investigations if you didn't. And if you would like a copy of that contract to refresh your memory, it's available on pacer. You agreed to it.. and later walked away from the lawsuit against them because you were "not interested in pursuing" over $100,000 that you say was "stolen" from you. Where's the malpractice suit against Boris? You whined that she took more than her fair share too... but you did nothing of a substantive nature against her. (oh, a "complaint with the bar" - big whoop.)

I have explained what happened in that case on numerous occasions.

We dropped the litigation against Steve Brophy because it became clear that no judgment against him would ever be collectible, and because the information he was withholding from us no longer had any value to us. He lost his house and his primary means of making money. We're not in the habit of getting judgments we can't collect on.

We made a similar calculation about a malpractice lawsuit against her. We could have sued her, but chances are we'd have gotten nothing (since she had no insurance), and it would cost us $100,000 or more to pursue the lawsuit.

c. staley wrote:
Here we go again. You had over 6 years to figure out this problem. And every time you bring it up, you try to push the solution-finding portion onto someone else. And usually, it's the same group of customers – that you include in your lawsuits along with their customers. (I'm beginning to think that you're actually the slow learner here, but you have a financial interest in not learning.)

So the answer is, no, you don't have any answers. You prefer to complain. And that's why I say you're not interested in stopping piracy. You're interested in revenge against us for making it necessary for you to slash the size of your operation massively. And that's fine. Stop pretending that it's otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:34 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

My father worked for Bell Helicopter for a great many years. I can't fly a helicopter and I wouldn't presume to tell anyone else how to fly one either. My father wasn't a helicopter pilot either. he just worked with a bunch of them.

My father also worked for Boeing (I am not a pilot and neither was he) and Martin Marietta Aerospace (I am not a Shuttle astronaut, neither was my dad). But he did work with a bunch of those folks.

My daughter works at a cosmetic surgery office. She's not a surgeon. Neither am I. But my daughter does work for a bunch of surgeons.

My wife used to work at a compounding pharmacy. Doesn't make me a pharmacist. She wasn't one either. She just worked for some.
My wife also worked for one of the largest chemical manufacturing and distribution companies on the planet. I am not a chemist, nor do I act like one. She isn't a chemist either. She just worked for some.
My wife currently works for a company that makes some pretty cool video games. But I am not a developer. Neither is my wife. She just works with some.

Likewise......knowing someone that works FOR an attorney or even doing work FOR a bunch of legal types, doesn't make you an attorney (and certainly not a trusted legal expert). Neither does watching Law and Order. Or spending hours reading legal briefs on PACER.

In fact, there is only one credentialed attorney on this forum that I am aware of.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:49 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
c. staley wrote:
So you can tell the truth here; you're not interested in seeing their discs – you're only interested in getting a contract.
You act like a contract is some magic document that creates indentured servitude on anyone who signs it.

The contract exists only to make clear what each side will do before, during, and after the audit. It is as much for the KJ's protection as it is for ours. I suspect that if we tried to do audits without a contract you'd complain that we refused to put in writing what we would do. (A complaint that you've had in another context.)
Show me where the KJ is protected from anything other than your separate, "covenant not to sue." Unless that is the ONLY thing of value (not protection) for a KJ. Everything else in the contract either benefits you or indemnifies you from suit. Anyone who signs that needs their head examined.
JimHarrington wrote:
c. staley wrote:

I have yet to see a person who genuinely has 1:1 correspondence refuse to cooperate with an audit if they've been sued. Doing so would be colossally stupid.

How could you possibly know? You don't, but you'd like to sound like you do. If they have the discs, you switch hats and tell them that they are being sued because they "didn't get permission" remember? It's a convenient trap and you end up with the contract... your ultimate goal. Now, they are all your "controlled licensees" aren't they?

JimHarrington wrote:
Here is what the letter says:

If you currently possess legitimate original media (discs) that correspond to your non-original tracks on a 1:1 basis, you have a time-limited opportunity to demonstrate that 1:1 correspondence to us through an audit process. The audit process is similar to the audit we conduct in connection with our Sound Choice Certified KJ program. There is a fee for this service.
No mention of a contract at this point, but it's apparent that the defendant must PAY YOU to prove that they are not pirates...

But remember, you're not suing these customers for "piracy" anymore, now it's "a failure to get permission" right?
So, you sue them if they don't have discs... and you sue them if they do.... either way, you will make them pay you something....
JimHarrington wrote:
If you wish to apply for certification, you must contact us within three business days of receiving this notice. If you successfully demonstrate that your unaltered system meets the 1:1 correspondence requirement and all of the other terms of the Sound Choice Certified KJ program, we will dismiss this action.
Notice that there is still no mention of your contract but it's now called "apply for certification" ain't that interesting?. You simply call it "all the other terms of the SC certified KJ program" which includes your contract, so you purposely avoid that and gloss over it like it's inconsequential.

JimHarrington wrote:
So no, it doesn't use scary language about a "binding legal contract." But there's a very good reason for that: The "binding legal contract" simply lays out the procedures for the resolution process so that everyone is clear about what we're doing. We want operators to understand, beforehand, that failing the audit will significantly impact their ability to defend the case.
On the contrary, it's closer to that of a "bait and switch" by purposely omitting that an on-going contract is a requirement. There's nothing in your letter that promises a dismissal without a contract and a payment - period. So were you lying then when you say "if they can prove 1:1 correspondence we release them" or lying now when it's apparent that a contract and a payment are conditions of that release because what you say and what the letter says don't match up very well. Unless once again, you are relying on a "technicality" that is omission.
JimHarrington wrote:
c. staley wrote:
And, In every single case where you have sued a disk owner, how many of them have not signed your contract? I can think of only one. And that doesn't include Rodney.[/u][/i]

I am not convinced that the one you're referring to is an actual disc owner. But maybe he's been foolish enough to listen to you whispering in his ear. Will you pay his damages if it turns out he could have gotten out of the lawsuit for nothing, and didn't because he listened to your idiotic advice?
I don't give a squat if you're convinced or not.
You're not willing to admit that you've voluntarily dismissed defendants who wouldn't back down from your intimidation. I know that you have and that's good enough for me.
JimHarrington wrote:
I have explained what happened in that case on numerous occasions.

We dropped the litigation against Steve Brophy because it became clear that no judgment against him would ever be collectible, and because the information he was withholding from us no longer had any value to us. He lost his house and his primary means of making money. We're not in the habit of getting judgments we can't collect on.
Wait a minute, let me get my waders... because you don't seem to have a problem suing a KJ that makes $100 working in club... with no insurance and you agreed to increase his percentage.
JimHarrington wrote:
We made a similar calculation about a malpractice lawsuit against her. We could have sued her, but chances are we'd have gotten nothing (since she had no insurance), and it would cost us $100,000 or more to pursue the lawsuit.
Hooey. I find it hard to believe that she had absolutely no assets, especially considering that you assert that she withheld MORE than $100,000 from your client and still runs a law firm in Beverly Hills, CA. So there must be a different reason that you are not pursuing this. ..... hmmmm?
JimHarrington 2013 wrote:
As has been made clear to you, we are taking steps to ensure that Ms. Boris exits the profession for her misconduct.
Doesn't bode too well for your understanding or effectiveness of the process does it? Or were you just pulling our legs... again?
I just checked the state bar records again.
State Bar Of California RE: Donna Boris wrote:
Donna Marie Boris - #153033
Current Status: Active

Disciplinary and Related Actions
This member has no public record of discipline.
Administrative Actions
This member has no public record of administrative actions.
Nope. I don't see any investigations or anything else. Not a sign from you and she still runs a law firm in Beverly Hills, CA... Not exactly the low-rent district so your stories aren't jiving very well... "... exits the profession." yeah, right. You also claimed that she withheld more than $100,000 in your complaint right?... Post of copy of that for all of us to see because you don't have a confidentiality agreement or gag order on your complaint.

JimHarrington wrote:
So the answer is, no, you don't have any answers. You prefer to complain. And that's why I say you're not interested in stopping piracy. You're interested in revenge against us for making it necessary for you to slash the size of your operation massively. And that's fine. Stop pretending that it's otherwise.

No and that's wrong too. I never said that I don't have any answers, YOU did. So here's a perfect example of you first asking the question then answering it for me and in your self-righteous indignation, berating me for the answer you provided. Inventing a situation to serve your agenda and accusing me for it.

Not all of us are as stupid as you expect us to be.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:17 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

I snipped a bunch of bull from the beginning of your post because, well, it was just crap anyway...
JimHarrington wrote:
Most importantly, this kind of transaction happens all the time when a business needs to reorganize to meet certain business needs--such as, for example, when a business takes on a new investor and the structure of the existing corporation isn't suitable, for whatever reason, for that investor's interests. There may be tax implications associated with taking on an investor that make the use of the old corporation inadvisable. Or the old corporation may carry liabilities that the new investor isn't interested in taking on.
Gee, I wonder who the "investor" is.... But I'm sure they didn't want the liability associated with the ongoing copyright infringement suit at the time. Interesting timing wouldn't you say?

JimHarrington wrote:
So much of your argument, Mr. Staley, is wrapped up in your effort to de-legitimize Phoenix as a business. Unfortunately, your argument isn't well informed on the law or on normal, everyday business practices, so it falls flat. I have said many times that what hurts people usually aren't the "unknown unknowns," the things that you don't know that you don't know, but the things of which you are absolutely certain, yet that simply are not so. This is an excellent example of that.

Not quite. KJ's are well aware of the similarities between the timing of your "asset reallocation" and the trial date with EMI and the "magic asset switcheroo" at Chartbuster.

Unfortunately, you weren't able to shield Phoenix from being added as a defendant... specifically because Kurt structured it as a successor in interest to himself instead of just an asset transfer to someone else.

Phoenix (and the new investor) got stuck paying the settlement anyway..... didn't they?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:25 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

chrisavis wrote:
Likewise......knowing someone that works FOR an attorney or even doing work FOR a bunch of legal types, doesn't make you an attorney (and certainly not a trusted legal expert). Neither does watching Law and Order. Or spending hours reading legal briefs on PACER.
Just like working for a bunch of computer types at MicroSoft doesn't make you an expert programmer right?

chrisavis wrote:
In fact, there is only one credentialed attorney on this forum that I am aware of.
And that one has a vested financial interest and bias against every single person on this forum. The same one that you've signed multiple contracts with, so you cheerleading for him is not surprising.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:03 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

c. staley wrote:
[Just like working for a bunch of computer types at MicroSoft doesn't make you an expert programmer right?

Hey....YOU said YOU were a programmer, not me. I know I am not a programmer. I write some code here and there, but I stop well short of lumping myself in with people that make a living writing code (you certainly don't). You aren't as skilled a programmer as you claim to be (lied about).

c. staley wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
And that one has a vested financial interest and bias against every single person on this forum. The same one that you've signed multiple contracts with, so you cheerleading for him is not surprising.

This is where it becomes perfectly clear that YOU have the problem, not me.

YOU are the one that has maintained the high profile bashing of PEP.
YOU are the one that turns any mention of SC/PEP into a mudslinging match.
YOU have serious (unreasonable) problems with SC/PEP/Kurt/Harrington, not me.

*I* am perfectly happy with the arrangement I have with SC/PEP.

I don't have an issue here. You do. Whatever the REAL reasons are for the stick you have up your (@$%&#!) about SC/PEP, it involves you......not me.

Quit being a (@$%&#!), and own your own (@$%&#!) instead of flinging it around like a pissed off little monkey. Your problems are not our problems.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next