KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Who are the Partners with Phoenix Entertainment Partners Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:51 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 57 times
I am definitely not the smartest man in the world and could be terribly wrong. Could Sony/EMI have anything to do with PEP as a silent alliance? Could they be working together? For some reason I just can not get that thought out of my head. Seems like such a coincidence with the timing of cessation of their lawsuit and the formation of PEP.

Does anyone know who the partners may be?

I'm not trying to start anything. Just curious. I am not a fan of some of the tactics, but I would probably do something similar as others would, too.

Tricerasoft has been the best thing to happen to Karaoke and just has seemed to be so professional with everything with the Host in mind that I find it hard to believe the current legal accusations. I do not trust the Power and insatiable Hunger of huge money (Sony/EMI) nor the pull they garner in court and with every aspect of the legal system. Governments. They Tarzan, Umgowah. Michael Jackson did not either and tried to expose them, among other things apparently. Bully the UK manus, who spank Tricerasoft and P#uk us.

Remember, laws are written by attorney's who word them in such a way that they favor the attorneys and those they represent. Doublespeak. Forked tongue, Kimosabe. Get you coming, then get you going. They screw you through your jeans. OUCH !!!

I can't help but think that there is some type of alliance going on with PEP and them.

PEP is the only one left here that is able to pursue the way they have for 6-7 years.

I just want to know who the partners/sharers may be. I know it's not me.

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! ----A. Einstein
Double bubble, toil and trouble ----W. Shakespeare & Walt Disney
I hate it when I get on FaceBook ----Me
Karaoke might be Groundhog Day ----?
Of All the Martial Arts, Karaoke Inflicts the Most Pain ----?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:32 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
We have no "alliance" with Sony. We are working with them on a licensing agreement for new production, and they are a participating publisher in the HELP license, but that's it.

The ownership structure of PEP is not public. I can confirm that Kurt Slep is the majority owner. Beyond that, I'm not at liberty to disclose anything.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:08 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
JimHarrington wrote:
2. I am an officer of Phoenix Entertainment Partners,

I wonder why the ownership structure is such a secret. why are you folks hiding?

Last edited by c. staley on Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:35 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I am with C.Staley on this. When something such as this is hidden (occult, if you wish) then it has to be expected that we, or just me, would be suspicious. My businesses have always been manifest and I have to express that I would much rather do business and develop trust with an entity that is open (manifest) to clients, also. Especially one who does seem to be in the business of lawsuits entirely.

It is IMHO sneaky. My grandfather told me to never trust a liar, a thief, nor a sneak and from them run away. To not associate with such. It has served me well into my old age. Tell Mr Slep that, please. I am not mad at all, but truly feel that maybe I need to reevaluate how I pursue and grow my business. Currently, I am an ADVANCE participant.

I'll take your word that Sony/EMI is not in any way a partner, though I feel that there are outside agreements and PEP may be privy to upcoming allegations by Sony/EMI before they occur and may even make suggestions for upcoming litigation. I do not think that to be underhanded, but I do think that hiding partners is.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:53 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

dvdgdry wrote:
Currently, I am an ADVANCE participant.

Considering that they certainly seem to have enough funds to put out an Irish disk in order to keep the trademark alive and sue KJ's and venues, I'd request a refund if I were you. Especially since they've taken your money and not provided you with even a single launch date.

You can always purchase credits from them at a later date but right now, all you've done is given them an interest-free loan.

Remember the saying about the bird in the hand?
It looks like they're holding your bird – and beating you with the bush.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:55 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
dvdgdry wrote:
I am with C.Staley on this. When something such as this is hidden (occult, if you wish) then it has to be expected that we, or just me, would be suspicious. My businesses have always been manifest and I have to express that I would much rather do business and develop trust with an entity that is open (manifest) to clients, also. Especially one who does seem to be in the business of lawsuits entirely.

It's not a question of it being hidden; it's just not something that we disclose publicly.

As a general rule, we do our business in the open. Where we operate, who the officers of the company are, who our employees are, what our policies are--all of that is freely disclosed. But we don't disclose the company's financials or ownership structure, because that's private information that's really not anyone's business. Most businesses keep that sort of information a secret.

dvdgdry wrote:
It is IMHO sneaky. My grandfather told me to never trust a liar, a thief, nor a sneak and from them run away. To not associate with such. It has served me well into my old age. Tell Mr Slep that, please. I am not mad at all, but truly feel that maybe I need to reevaluate how I pursue and grow my business. Currently, I am an ADVANCE participant.

I think your grandfather gave good advice. We work hard to earn the trust of our customers and associates. But as to the information you're asking for--there's nothing sneaky about declining to give it. It's just a private business, and what you're asking for is private information. I don't think it's unreasonable for the people who have invested in the company to want to remain anonymous. Look at the vitriol that gets lobbed at Kurt Slep.

dvdgdry wrote:
I'll take your word that Sony/EMI is not in any way a partner, though I feel that there are outside agreements and PEP may be privy to upcoming allegations by Sony/EMI before they occur and may even make suggestions for upcoming litigation. I do not think that to be underhanded, but I do think that hiding partners is.

Let me be clear: If the lawyers representing that company were on fire, I would not cross the street to piss on them to put them out. (I do like their licensing person, however.) They don't consult with me or anyone at Phoenix when it comes to whom to sue, or when, or where. We find out about Sony litigation at the same time the general public does.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:53 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

OK, Mr Harrington.

Thanks for responding. That doesn't change my opinion, though, concerning "partners" and who they may be.

I do wish that PEP was still in production and had never left that part of the business because piracy will never go away. Children under 18 will still get cigarettes and alcohol. States that have outlawed marijuana will still have pot smokers.

Just like in my State we have a saying > ABC (Always Buy Colorado) I prefer to buy American. I also prefer to buy just what I need and download tracks as each one is requested by patrons.

I have been under the impression that SC had their own studio. Downloads cut middlemen out and distribution costs. I believe that production never really needed to cease and it was just out of spite and anger at KJs in particular.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:08 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
Look at the vitriol that gets lobbed at Kurt Slep.

Slep has no problem lobbing vitriol and he's been doing it for years...

JimHarrington wrote:
Let me be clear: If the lawyers representing that company were on fire, I would not cross the street to piss on them to put them out.

I"ll pass that along for you....

Last edited by c. staley on Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:30 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Quote:
not provided you with even a single launch date.

You can always purchase credits from them at a later date but right now, all you've done is given them an interest-free loan.

Remember the saying about the bird in the hand?
It looks like they're holding your bird – and beating you with the bush.

You know, I agree. And it has been long enough that I have forgotten how much it was. I think $30.
They got less than 300 participants, maybe even less than 100. That is not much help to them. Maybe I could take it off my taxes as a bad loan, hah !

Maybe my business practice could be construed as taking advantage. If I were to believe that investigators were here in my town running an investigation and if I sort of piss them and PEP (Mr.Slep) off they would continue to come around and inflate my business at my venues. That is not underhanded. Just taking advantage of a spite and good business sense on my part.

Last edited by dvdgdry on Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:54 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

dvdgdry wrote:
You know, I agree. And it has been long enough that I have forgotten how much it was. I think $30.

If it were me, I'd be counting on you forgetting...

dvdgdry wrote:
They got less than 300 participants, maybe even less than 100. That is not much help to them. Maybe I could take it off my taxes as a bad loan, hah !

Yep... I'd fire the marketing manager if I were in charge.. (oops! did I say that out loud?)

Nope. Can't take it off your taxes because they didn't sign a loan and they are not a tax-deductible non-profit charity either.

dvdgdry wrote:
Maybe my business practice could be construed as taking advantage. I believe that they are here in my town running an investigation right now. If I sort of piss them off the investigators will continue to come around and inflate my business at my venue. Good for me, huh?

That would happen anyway if you still had your own $30 right?
No difference... except you're currently $30 "lighter" with no return in sight.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 108 times
Seems like some of the posts here belong in the unprofessional thread; especially the ones regarding pissing on people. Very classy indeed for our resident Attorney. That is his attitude toward most karaoke hosts as well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:01 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Karaoke Croaker wrote:
Seems like some of the posts here belong in the unprofessional thread; especially the ones regarding pissing on people. Very classy indeed for our resident Attorney. That is his attitude toward most karaoke hosts as well.

That would be: "Resident Lead Attorney/VP Marketing & Sales for Phoenix Entertainment Partners"

But that doesn't apply to us..... besides, 90% of us are thieves right?

I wonder if anyone is "offended?" (It's not that I actually care, I just wonder.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:04 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

The $30 is a crowd funding venture with a promise. If it fails to have return, why could that not be considered a capital loss?

Nevermind, I am wrong. It would be returned by PEP if requested. But then again if never requested nor returned, a gift?

Last edited by dvdgdry on Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:10 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

dvdgdry wrote:
The $30 is a crowd funding venture with a promise. If it fails to have return, why could that not be considered a capital loss?

Because it's nothing more a promise with no scheduled date of completion and it's way too "open-ended." Based on their promises, they never have to put anything out and if you forget to ask for a refund, it's free money....

Besides in "real crowdfunding" deals, you'd already have your money back if it didn't reach the goal.

Last edited by c. staley on Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:12 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Nevermind, I am wrong. It would be returned by PEP if requested. But then again if never requested nor returned, a gift? Maybe only if they went belly up?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:33 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

dvdgdry wrote:
Nevermind, I am wrong. It would be returned by PEP if requested. But then again if never requested nor returned, a gift? Maybe only if they went belly up?

If you are confused, perhaps I can help:

In order to make it a gift – and a proper one at that – you will need first to request your refund, and then deposit it in your account and then mail a $30 check to me.

Make sure in the memo line of your check that you write: "certification/gift"

And all of the confusion will go away! You'll know exactly where the money went and you will get exactly the same kind of return you have received so far. At this point, you can happily forget about it.
It's a win-win situation all the way around!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:16 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
JimHarrington wrote:
Let me be clear: If the lawyers representing that company were on fire, I would not cross the street to piss on them to put them out.

I have a feeling that there are a lot of KJ's and Clubs out there that feel the same way about SC/PEP/Kurt and you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:30 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 629 times
Lone Wolf wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:

I have a feeling that there are a lot of KJ's and Clubs out there that feel the same way about SC/PEP/Kurt and you.

Unless they were capable of pissing an accelerant, then they might cross the street.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:56 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

RLC wrote:
Lone Wolf wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:

Unless they were capable of pissing an accelerant, then they might cross the street.

Now THAT is "customer loyalty."

But how their customers feel about them whether it's loyalty, respect, admiration, or even a vile disrespect, they really don't care.... at all. This is not the "karaoke admiration society."

What's important is that KJ's send them money at their every whim and feel they have no choice in the matter.

This thread asking how many CB discs you have is nothing but a fishing expedition about how much money you should send them as the penalty for purchasing CB in the first place. It's really sad to see that there are KJ's swallowing that hook, line and sinker.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:22 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 108 times
PEP is just picking the fruit from the sucker trees. They rely on people thinking that $50 is such a small amount to think that they are safe. Chartbuster was forced out of business because their karaoke tracks were not produced legally to begin with.PEP is trying to license what amounts to be stolen property. It's like a used car lot trying to sell stolen cars to unknowing consumers. Just because they paid the car thief doesn't make the cars legal to sell to someone else.