KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - UK Karaoke Anti-Piracy Efforts just got serious.... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:32 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
This has been posted on Zoom's Facebook page:

We at Zoom Karaoke and the major UK Karaoke manufacturers Mr Entertainer, Sunfly and SBI Abraxa have joined forces to support KAPA UK - the Karaoke Anti-Piracy Agency. The SOLE aim of KAPA UK is to contribute to the battle against piracy across the UK by creating a membership scheme for KJs, venues and DJs willing to have their karaoke collections checked and verified. The limited company 'KAPA UK Limited' is managed and owned by Mr Gordon and Stacey Sutherland who also own an entertainment company called Entertainment Express. They would like it to be made clear that these two companies are separate and of no gain or loss to each other. To be crystal clear and to avoid any potential conflict of interest, Entertainment Express will not approach any venue which has been visited by KAPA UK to pitch for new work but will continue to work in venues where existing contracts are in place. It is our hope that KJS, entertainment providers and companies will work together with KAPA UK and the manufacturers involved to reduce and the ongoing problem of piracy in live music venues, as this is detrimental to ALL of us. If anyone has any further grievances or questions, KAPA UK would be happy to resolve these.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:34 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
Ahhh....everything is okay for you folks NOW...whew...yeah, thanks to that letter, a judge would NEVER be able to see a conflict of interest with his OWN eyes..... :roll:

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:58 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
I posted the letter to inform. I should have stated that it in no way reflects my views.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:33 am 

Been Liked: 3 times
Yep sunfly have posted basically the same on Facebook as well they are worrying because it is all coming out and they are starting to look like a scam, at the end of the day if you have a pro streaming contract from the likes of virtual DJ OR Selectatrack (which is not cheap £50 a month for selectatrack) or if you have purchased all your discs over the years why in gods name would you want to pay more money to be KAPAUK Approved when the people behind KAPAUK Are the biggest pirates out there ohh and that is fact, i have one of there drives (they have a mole) and it is interesting what you can find on a track and a list of it is not cleaned properly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:10 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 224 times
I like the term "membership scheme"....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:45 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
I really hope that Sunfly, SBI, Zoom and anyone else involved, seriously look into this matter which seems to be a scam. My advice is for the manufacturers to pull out now. It seems, the evidence is clear. Hopefully, the manufacturers will press charges for fraud.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:40 am 

This is the statement finally issued by KAPA Today regarding Entertainment Express
i love the way they say....scheme for KJs, venues and DJs willing to have their karaoke collections checked and verified.

to be honest how many are gonna say yea go ahead and ill pay your £25 a year and ill buy the 60 tracks a year from one of the majors (yea no in this lifetime)

The major UK Karaoke manufacturers Sunfly, Mr Entertainer, Zoom and SBI Abraxa have joined forces to support KAPA UK - the Karaoke Anti-Piracy Agency. The sole aim of KAPA UK is to contribute to the battle against piracy across the UK by creating a membership scheme for KJs, venues and DJs willing to have their karaoke collections checked and verified. KAPA UK will also try to come to an arrangement involving a settlement payment with any operators found to be using illegal karaoke content owned by the manus mentioned above. Members of KAPA UK will receive certification that they can use in their efforts to secure work.
The limited company 'KAPA UK' is managed and owned by Mr Gordon and Stacey Sutherland who also own an entertainment company called Entertainment Express. They would like it to be made clear that these two companies are separate and of no gain or loss to each other.
To avoid any potential conflict of interest, Entertainment Express will not approach a venue which has been visited by KAPA UK to pitch for new work but will continue to work in venues where existing contracts are in place.
It is our hope that entertainment providers and companies will work together with KAPA UK and the manufacturers involved to reduce and the ongoing problem of piracy in live music venues, as this is detrimental to all of us. If anyone has any further grievances or questions, we at KAPA UK would be happy to speak with any individual and resolve these.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:30 am 

Here is a copy and paste from my questions to KAPA Regarding the above statement

Took you long enough to finally come out and admit who is behind KAPA The only reason you did was because it was made public, as i have said i hope it works for you because i will be watching and so will the rest of the UK And when you do mess up (and i believe you will) ill be right at your arse to bite it smile emoticon have a lovely day
Like · Reply · 2 hrs

Actually i have a valid question regarding the following statement that you have on your website...........If you as a venue would like to check your entertainment provider is legal, contact us with their details through email on info@kapauk.com or call 08444 777 994. A KAPA UK membership simply authenticates that the licensee’s karaoke & backing track content has been sourced legitimately, venues hosting live shows must also ensure they comply with ALL the relevant licenses in regard to public performances that include karaoke or music...................My question is what gives you the right to say who is and who isn't legal when you won't have any proof? because well like most venues they will not allow you to check so then you are making an assumption that they are illegal because you have been turned away!!!

KAPA UK Good evening Mr Mac, We appreciate all your comments and understand questions raised, which we are happy to answer. If a person/s refuses a KAPA UK member to inspect the content they own, whether it be at a venue or during a pre-arranged visit, we will pass on their details to all associated affilliations who will then carry out checks. However, after already carrying out visits, it is noticed that those with legal material have had no issue with verifying their collections.
Like · 26 mins

Del Mac Thank you for the reply, but you see some of us legal companies don't take kindly to having to show proof to an organisation that has no legal right. so please take this as notice that if you approach any of my venues you will be ejected from those venues, (as i have spoken to all of my venues and shown them all the relevant information) might i just add it would probably be easier just to have TS Visit instead i will have no problem giving them all the relevant information they require, but as for yourselves that will never happen knowing what i know about your company...you have also not answered my whole question in regard to the fact that you shall have to be making a lot of assumptions when you are told politely to head for the nice square door that you came in through or as the saying goes your tail between your legs!! have a lovely evening Gordon, Staci and of course not for getting little kev :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:56 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 17 times
Alan B wrote:
I would also join this. I believe they will do it right.

Two of the key points that I picked up from their website is:

1. They will go into venues to talk to owners about piracy.
2. They will encourage venues to only hire KJ's that posses a KAPA membership card.

Love it.

I don't love it. While I am against piracy & what it does to the industry standard ($ pay $), I agree with a lot of the arguments, that not a lot of money is made at the task of hosting a show. When I first was getting into this, a friend suggested that I do DJ work, instead - with the infallible logic, that the spend half as much on their music, & get paid twice as much. Now we WANT to volunteer to pay to join the "I don't think people can trust people without a membership to my club," club?! For 18 years I've purchased discs & digital acquisitions, which I DO NOT want to rent (I ALREADY BOUGHT THEM!!) & I don't want to sell my integrity, only to buy it back from a bureaucracy!! DJ's don't need a special license, they can buy albums from Fred Meyer, or some special exclusive DJ outlet, off-shore or here. Why then are KJ's so much MORE suspect of NOT having integrity??!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:03 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
Sqwigee wrote:
Why then are KJ's so much MORE suspect of NOT having integrity??!!

Because suing them pays better.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:11 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
c. staley wrote:
Sqwigee wrote:
Why then are KJ's so much MORE suspect of NOT having integrity??!!

Because suing them pays better.

And there is no trademark to show

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:00 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 294 times
"Fair Use" recently took a potential hit in the UK.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/busin ... es-illegal

"It is now unlawful to make private copies of copyright works you own, without permission from the copyright holder,” the spokesperson said. “This includes format shifting from one medium to another.”

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:51 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
A pointless exercise. The story says nobody has to worry. They won't be answering the door to cops. As the courts are here, they have nothing better to do than make up nonsense.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:26 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
The owners of this company also own an entertainment company and are focusing only on the surrounding areas where they operate - and it has been made known they have targeted at least one ex staff member directly and indirectly tried to sabotage another(both unsuccessfully).
They were also sending letters as the entertainment company implying they had nothing to do with said 'KAPA' trademark.
Not to mention they have licensed only 6 systems(for karaoke usage) and I know for a fact that they have 24-26 systems and certainly WAY more than 6 systems out on any given Saturday night, for example.

Basically there is absolutely no way they can claim there is no conflict of interest.
Why would anyone give these crooks money when the karaoke suppliers are actually very reasonable and willing to give fairly good deals if you just talk to them directly?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:57 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Alan B wrote:
I would also join this. I believe they will do it right.

Two of the key points that I picked up from their website is:

1. They will go into venues to talk to owners about piracy.
2. They will encourage venues to only hire KJ's that posses a KAPA membership card.

When I first made the above comment, I believed that KAPA was an independent organization. Since finding out that KAPA is made up of an entertainment company who allegedly is/was nothing more than a bunch of "pirates with a plan", I no longer support or endorse these people. I can clearly see how a conflict of interest exists and believe that KAPA is nothing more than a disguise for for self gain.

What's even more amazing is that the manufacturers are that naive and have bought into this little (alleged) scheme.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:06 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 33 times
No effort will ever be free from scrutiny until it is sanctioned by government. In the US we need our congress, and in the UK I'm guessing the house of lords? Parliament? to set the rules for media and collection of use fee's. In both countries this was already done with DJ music, so it seems trivial to do this with karaoke since the model of lobbying has already been established.

Personally, after witnessing the failure of KAPA and the KIAA in the states, neither of which ever had any intention of lobbying, I don't see much hope or bite for this organization.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:29 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
toqer wrote:
No effort will ever be free from scrutiny until it is sanctioned by government. In the US we need our congress, and in the UK I'm guessing the house of lords? Parliament? to set the rules for media and collection of use fee's. In both countries this was already done with DJ music, so it seems trivial to do this with karaoke since the model of lobbying has already been established.

Personally, after witnessing the failure of KAPA and the KIAA in the states, neither of which ever had any intention of lobbying, I don't see much hope or bite for this organization.
And since our government thinks that it is OK to let a terrorist nation have an eventual go ahead to build a nuclear bomb ......yeah I think they should be involved in karaoke too. It seems they are more than qualified..... just sayin'

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:08 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 2 times
leopard lizard wrote:
"Fair Use" recently took a potential hit in the UK.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/busin ... es-illegal

"It is now unlawful to make private copies of copyright works you own, without permission from the copyright holder,” the spokesperson said. “This includes format shifting from one medium to another.”

This is once bizarre law, for a limited few months they made it legal in the UK to rip your own CD's to MP3 & then suddenly made it illegal again. Goes back to the old days when everyone recorded from Radio to Tape / TV to VHS, it was illegal but everyone done it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:38 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 190 times
sorry, just skimming through posts here... this pertains to UK and their territory.

It doesn't mean North americans are granted rights to use their (@$%&#!) (stuff) it says it right in their T.O.S.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6