KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - karaoke legal question please help! Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:07 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
So my local bar that I always karaoke at with groups of people has an awesome collection of songs, however there is a lot of stuff we want that they don't have. Now my question is.....if I legally buy the karaoke files off of a karaoke web site, can they legally use them?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:09 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
Some will say yes, some will say no.

I use http://icroons.com to locate and buy karaoke music that I use at 3 different locations.

-Chris

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:13 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
I moved this to an area that may provide additional information..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:29 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
mighkeydevious wrote:
So my local bar that I always karaoke at with groups of people has an awesome collection of songs, however there is a lot of stuff we want that they don't have. Now my question is.....if I legally buy the karaoke files off of a karaoke web site, can they legally use them?

If by disc then you have to give the original disc to the host to keep. If download you need to give them at the least the only copy of the download.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:57 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
If by disc then you have to give the original disc to the host to keep. If download you need to give them at the least the only copy of the download.

Why?
If an individual legally purchases karaoke and a venue pays it's fees, there is nothing even slightly grayly wrong about it that I can see. There is nothing that says a host MUST play their own material that I've ever heard of.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:39 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Yeah that is a new one on me too. I've always played customer discs - even occasionally their files from flash drives. You do not have to give the host anything for keeps. A host may require you bring in an original disc to use however. No burns or flashdrives. That is of course if the host is willng to play your content at all.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:34 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
DannyG2006 wrote:

Danny, I go to shows all the time and most KJs accept the use of my personal discs or flash drive containing song files. There has never been a requirement that they must be given something to keep in order to use my song tracks (which they give back to me).

That being said,
mighkeydevious wrote:
.....if I legally buy the karaoke files off of a karaoke web site, can they legally use them?
To clarify, are you asking:
1. Can you bring your own (newly purchased) song files with you to this particular show, and be allowed to sing from them with no legal hassles?
or,
2. If you make your own purchases of karaoke song files, and either download them to a flash drive or burn them to a disc, and then donate them to this particular venue, is the venue legally permitted to use them?

To answer number 1, you will get different answers from the people here. Personally, I believe that this would fall under the "Personal Use" category, and there is no reason why you can't legally use these song tracks/files at this show (if you wish to sing from them). There are others here who will argue that by performing from those tracks in a Public Venue, it constitutes "Commercial Use," and you are prohibited from using a copy under those circumstances. Then, there are others here who will state that this is a "Grey Area" of the Law, and no precedent has been made yet in a Court of Law. Finally, there are KJs that will accept the use of your own personal song tracks, and there are KJs who won't.... it's their show, and their choice.

To answer number 2, I would have to side with what DannyG just posted. If you are donating these newly purchased song tracks to this particular venue, you would have to destroy any and all copies that you might have made of it, so that only 1 copy exists (the copy you are giving to that venue). You could then give the venue a copy of your Sales Receipt (to show that it was legally purchased). Once you have done this, you can not make any new copies of said song tracks to use at different venues (unless you purchase those song tracks a 2nd time for yourself).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:06 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 33 times
we do not play customers downloads period. That being said we will make every attempt to purchase songs(legally) for customers request and will play customers original discs(no burns/or customer made compilations) We do not keep copies of customer owned tracks in our system.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:52 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 2 times
I know where I worked they had to pay SOCAN which was like 400 bucks a year, and we could play any music we wanted legally. Be it karaoke or otherwise. You are paying for the license to play the music. Now that meant that if someone brought a cd in we could play it, or even an mp3 player, we could hook it up.

~Tis not about life, nor is it about death. Tis about what you do with the time you are given.~

Ardis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:27 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
in Canada that works, but in the U.S. it sometimes seems you cant mention an artist, Publisher, Karaoke Manufacturers name without paying them another fee over here.
i will play whatever the singer brings in. bring in a compilation disc, who am i to assume that Cueball stole all of those songs off an IRC? bring in a thumbdrive of SBI, Sunfly, etc downloads, who am i to assume BruceFan stole them off an IRC? is that my place to play investigator, judge, jury?