KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - So Sound Choice Gem Series is already pirated? How's that? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

   
  * Login
  * Register

  * FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks


wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links


It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:37 pm 
Offline
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:21 pm
Posts: 1593
Location: Earth
Been Liked: 301 times
Your welcome.
Have the police been helpful in recovering any of your stolen property?

_________________
KNOW THYSELF


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:02 pm 
Offline
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 3:57 pm
Posts: 22229
Songs: 35
Images: 3
Location: Tacoma, WA
Been Liked: 1877 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
Lonman is correct that hard drives with GEM series content were stolen from me although I don't remember actually stating so in a forum. I do remember stating that I bought the GEM series to replace the 700+ SC discs that were previously stolen from me and a laptop that was stolen but that was before I got the GEM series.

That was the only reason I brought it up, maybe it wasn't on this one - could have been SCBB or the other one that is defunct now.

_________________
LIKE Lonman on Facebook - Lonman Productions Karaoke & my main site via my profile!
Image


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:27 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 4194
Songs: 1
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 190 times
earthling12357 wrote:
Your welcome.
Have the police been helpful in recovering any of your stolen property?


Not as yet.

_________________
The Line Array Experiment is over. Nothing to see here. Move along.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:09 am 
Offline
Super Poster
Super Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:35 am
Posts: 691
Location: Carson City, NV
Been Liked: 0 time
DannyG2006 wrote:
earthling12357 wrote:
From:

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:21 am viewtopic.php?f=26&t=22012&p=307090&hilit=+gem#p307090

DannyG2006 wrote:
There has been theft of the GEMS in CT. I have had two hard drives stolen in the past year that contained the GEM series. I have since moved away from the thieves. SC has the serial numbers that were linked to both drives.

Thank you for reminding me. I don't always remember every post I make.


Then these alleged pirated GEMs that Joe has witnessed very well could be yours.

Have you contacted the police in this case telling them that Joe Chartreuse has mentioned on this forum that possible stolen GEM content has been seen down the road in New Jersey?

Joe may have information that may help you find your stolen property. I would have the police contact Joe immediately on this matter to gather information.

_________________
"Just Say NO, To Justin Bieber & His Beatle Haircut"


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:49 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:00 am
Posts: 3311
Images: 0
Been Liked: 610 times
Joe: How do you know these kjs have stolen gem sets exactly? Did you see printed discs? See a GEM song played in public? If so, how did you identify these as true GEM songs? Or were you just told this verbally?

Personally, I don't think they are, much like the mystery GEM torrents people claim to exist but can never be located.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:22 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:26 am
Posts: 4731
Location: In your head rent-free
Been Liked: 493 times
Why not just tie Joe to a chair with a swinging light, a rubber hose, rubbing alcohol and a dental drill? Perhaps a little waterboarding is called for?

Wall, you are still trying to drag information out of Joe by shoving him into this mess... give it a rest!... It's easy to tell Danny to call the Cops and have them call Joe while you sit on the sidelines watching the action. Let SC do their own investigation and be happy in the knowledge that at least Joe made mention of it...

Bazza...... go sit next to Wall.....

Soon no one will even post this kind of information if being guilted, pestered and repeatedly questioned is their reward.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:04 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 4194
Songs: 1
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 190 times
Aside from pointing out avenues, what is Wall supposed to do. He personally doesn't have the ability to see it through any further. Only SC and myself have the rights to file a complaint with the cops. If I had Joe's info I would be inclined to have the cops talk to him. Perhaps Joe will be so kind to PM me the info. I promise not to use the info in any other regards nor will I publish it for others to see.

_________________
The Line Array Experiment is over. Nothing to see here. Move along.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:54 am 
Offline
Super Poster
Super Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:35 am
Posts: 691
Location: Carson City, NV
Been Liked: 0 time
DannyG2006 wrote:
If I had Joe's info I would be inclined to have the cops talk to him.

you have mail

_________________
"Just Say NO, To Justin Bieber & His Beatle Haircut"


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:41 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2001 6:55 pm
Posts: 4405
Location: New York City
Been Liked: 727 times
Wall Of Sound wrote:
I would think that since a pirated GEM would be a slam dunk theft, the local authorities could be contacted then do their own investigation as to who the pirates are by questioning witnesses.

Because each particular GEM can be traced back to the original license holder. If that license holder had anything to do with copying the content, it is criminal theft. No need for copyright/trademark issues which apparently are mainly civil issues.

So since it would be considered criminal theft, the police would have to at least file a report which would probably involve questioning any witnesses.


Based on my past experience with the NYPD (which I recently posted about in a different topic), I do not believe that the Police will take any action on your behalf if you were to walk into the precinct and claim to know that some KJ is running a show using stolen software. It is NOT your software that the KJ is using, therefore, (in their eyes) you are NOT the victim.

And what if you're wrong??? What if the KJ did acquire the GEM series legally? You have now filed a false Police report against him (assuming the Police even fill out a report based on your complaint). Aren't there criminal actions that the Police (and possibly the KJ) can take against you for that?


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:15 pm 
Offline
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:12 pm
Posts: 5046
Been Liked: 334 times
Bazza wrote:
Joe: How do you know these kjs have stolen gem sets exactly? Did you see printed discs? See a GEM song played in public? If so, how did you identify these as true GEM songs? Or were you just told this verbally?

Personally, I don't think they are, much like the mystery GEM torrents people claim to exist but can never be located.


Sorry for late reply. Had nasty oral surgery and have been out of it for for awhile.

The sets that I am aware of are burned discs. The may either have been copied from downloads or original discs.

_________________
"No Contests, No Divas, Just A Good Time!"

" Disc based and loving it..."


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:37 pm 
Offline
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:12 pm
Posts: 5046
Been Liked: 334 times
Murray C wrote:
JoeChartreuse wrote:
That being said, I have SEEN at least three hosts with pirated Gem sets.
Really? What leads you to believe the GEM sets are pirated? Just askin'


Badly labeled discs- I mean badly. Pink or light blue labels, no graphics, black comic font. Could have been nothing more than his own back-up discs, except for the following:

Please note that this may be considered hearsay by some, which is fine by me. However, people that I personally knw and trust ( real life, not cyber) have informed me of seeing at least 2 more similarly labeled sets.

It should also be noted - like the KJ mentioned in the "Seriously" thread- that I'm told these 3 have also already been reported via the sites and links available for that purpose by those that do so.

As previously stated, I did not post this info as a point of debate, but was rather reporting both mine and others' observations- period. I have no vested inerest in whether these discs have been pirated or not,.Their existance or lack thereof has no effect in regard to these debates or to my business.

I gain nothing if they do exist, I lose nothing if they didn't.

The same goes for whether my observation is considered valid or not. I was just passing it on....

......Just answerin'.....

_________________
"No Contests, No Divas, Just A Good Time!"

" Disc based and loving it..."


Last edited by JoeChartreuse on Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:47 pm 
Offline
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:12 pm
Posts: 5046
Been Liked: 334 times
Wall Of Sound wrote:
But Joe may have, by his own admission, witnessed criminal activity. If true, this criminal activity should be investigated by local authorities if a complaint is filed. If a complaint is filed, authorities are most likely to question witnesses.


As this post was included in Chip's quote, I was able to see it.

The "Criminal Activity" in question would be Copyright Infringement, right? ( Actual civil, but that's a different story).

If that's the case, I have a question.

Wouldn't SC, who is willing to take protection money in return for keeping silent ( and saying they may not sue) about the same issue - and not telling the music owners-be in the same boat? If they see a pirated song/lyrics, wouldn't it be their duty to report each and every one to the music/lyric OWNERS?

I'm not taking anyone's money. I don't report to SC because of ethical issues.

Logic dictates that you either support both examples, or not support both. It can't be had two ways.

_________________
"No Contests, No Divas, Just A Good Time!"

" Disc based and loving it..."


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:13 pm 
Offline
Super Poster
Super Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:40 pm
Posts: 1039
Images: 1
Been Liked: 198 times
I agree with your premise, but not with your conclusion...

cueball wrote:
Based on my past experience with the NYPD (which I recently posted about in a different topic), I do not believe that the Police will take any action on your behalf if you were to walk into the precinct and claim to know that some KJ is running a show using stolen software.


You're right, no one should go to the police and claim what you stated. However; if one had already taken action on their own behalf to obtain evidence of theft, by say... contacting witnesses, attending a show, viewing a GEM series track, documenting your actions and the events and checking with SC to allow them to verify whether or not the shows in question are in possession of registered GEM series tracks.

It is theft and in most states (I'm not assuming NY or NJ but that is where the "witness" is from) theft of goods valued at the retail price of the GEM series would be felony theft. So go to the police and say "My stuff was stolen and I've found someone in possession on my stolen stuff. Here's my evidence and a witness." Talk to SC before you do. They may be able to provide assistance and resources. They would have a huge stake in this.

cueball wrote:
It is NOT your software that the KJ is using, therefore, (in their eyes) you are NOT the victim.


This is irrelevant. DannyG2006 is a victim of a criminal act: theft. That is a fact and there is a police report on file to back it up. You can call the stolen items whatever you want, but that doesn't change the fact that a criminal act was committed that resulted in someone being in possession of stolen items. The police can be persuaded to act when they have everything handed to them, but even then, you have to be determined and persistent.

cueball wrote:
And what if you're wrong??? What if the KJ did acquire the GEM series legally?


The name of the host/KJ and/or the name of the venue would make it very simple for SC to determine the source of the GEM series tracks. In order to acquire the GEM series legally, it would have to be licensed under contract with SC. There is no other way.

cueball wrote:
You have now filed a false Police report against him (assuming the Police even fill out a report based on your complaint).


Says who? The first police report was filed in Connecticut, where the original crime of theft was committed. This gives the victim of theft the ability to continue to involve the police in the recovery of that property. Whether or not that can be accomplished is certainly in question but that doesn't automatically mean that filing a report would be considered "false".

cueball wrote:
Aren't there criminal actions that the Police (and possibly the KJ) can take against you for that?


No, even following your logic to this conclusion, any actions taken against you would be civil and not criminal.

I saw JoeC's post as I was previewing this one... and I want to say:

JoeC, the criminal activity you may have witnessed would be someone in "possession of stolen property". If you witnessed a SC trademark display with the blue logo and the words "Pro Series", then you may have witnessed trademark infringement as well. (IMO)That wouldn't be criminal, it would be a civil matter.

_________________
Never the same show twice!


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:18 pm 
Offline
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:12 pm
Posts: 5046
Been Liked: 334 times
MtnKaraoke wrote:
[


I'm well aware that you don't care, specifically as it relates to piracy and its effect on SC.


Please note the slight correction in the quote above, subbing a comma for a period. The quote, with this correction, is correct.

If SC was still a viable karaoke music production company, I might have. They made a nice product, and the fact that they no longer do may be considered a loss to the industry.

However, as a company whose main focus is now simply income through intimidation/litigation, I most certainly couldn't care less.

Keep in mind that while piracy may have damaged them in the past, it is now a financial boon to them.

That being the case, why the heck would I worry about piracy in regard to SC?

_________________
"No Contests, No Divas, Just A Good Time!"

" Disc based and loving it..."


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:29 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 4194
Songs: 1
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 190 times
JoeChartreuse wrote:
Murray C wrote:
JoeChartreuse wrote:
That being said, I have SEEN at least three hosts with pirated Gem sets.
Really? What leads you to believe the GEM sets are pirated? Just askin'


Badly labeled discs- I mean badly. Pink or light blue labels, no graphics, black comic font. Could have been nothing more than his own back-up discs, except for the following:

Please note that this may be considered hearsay by some, which is fine by me. However, people that I personally knw and trust ( real life, not cyber) have informed me of seeing at least 2 more similarly labeled sets.

It should also be noted - like the KJ mentioned in the "Seriously" thread- that I'm told these 3 have also already been reported via the sites and links available for that purpose by those that do so.

As previously stated, I did not post this info as a point of debate, but was rather reporting both mine and others' observations- period. I have no vested inerest in whether these discs have been pirated or not,.Their existance or lack thereof has no effect in regard to these debates or to my business.

I gain nothing if they do exist, I lose nothing if they didn't.

The same goes for whether my observation is considered valid or not. I was just passing it on....

......Just answerin'.....

If they are still playing discs, it can't be the GEM series as those discs won't play in a standard CDG player. Now if they're sporting the new MadBoy players then they would be able to play the songs off the discs. But based on your discription, I would say that Your statement that you have seen the GEM series in the hands of known pirates is incorrect.
Unless you saw the graphics and the Pro Series logo came up on the screen.
As to whether or not they are mine - I did not have the GEM discs stolen, just two hard drives with the GEM series copied onto them along with two laptops.

_________________
The Line Array Experiment is over. Nothing to see here. Move along.


Last edited by DannyG2006 on Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:30 pm 
Offline
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:12 pm
Posts: 5046
Been Liked: 334 times
MtnKaraoke wrote:

I saw JoeC's post as I was previewing this one... and I want to say:

JoeC, the criminal activity you may have witnessed would be someone in "possession of stolen property". If you witnessed a SC trademark display with the blue logo and the words "Pro Series", then you may have witnessed trademark infringement as well. (IMO)That wouldn't be criminal, it would be a civil matter.


I think there may be some mixing of posts, MtnKaraoke. I am in complete agreement that this would be a civil matter, as posted in paretheses in reply to WOS's post.

Also, I'm not sure why Danny's theft keeps popping up. What I ( and apparently others) observed were similar badly labeled DISCS.

While I believe they may be unlicensed copies, I have no evidence of physical theft of any sort. They may have been copied with the permission of the owner of an original set for free, or they may have been copied BY the original owner and sold. I have no idea, and no criminalmatter to report.

Again, I would have considered the one set that I personally saw as nothing more than legal backups, had I not heard observations of similarly labeled sets from others.

_________________
"No Contests, No Divas, Just A Good Time!"

" Disc based and loving it..."


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:50 pm 
Offline
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:12 pm
Posts: 5046
Been Liked: 334 times
DannyG2006 wrote:


1) If they are still playing discs, it can't be the GEM series as those discs won't play in a standard CDG player. Now if they're sporting the new MadBoy players then they would be able to play the songs off the discs.

2) Unless you saw the graphics and the Pro Series logo came up on the screen.


1) Danny, with all respect to you, this is completely incorrect. Virtually all newer players are multi-media, and will play ANYTHING ( BTW- this is why many are such slow loaders compared to older units- the unit takes a sec to decide which media it's playing). Whether it be lower end VocoPro DVX-890 , V2Go, Mixonic ( I think), or up to all the higher end units ( feel free to check the specs on the two inexpensive models given.) Not only that, most can also play memory cards and MP3s through card and USB ports included on the units. ( Direct use of these, even for filler music, really isn't worth the trouble- slow finding songs).

If on nothing else, trust me on this one.

2) Here you have me, Danny. While I and others saw the labels, I admit that I paid no attention to the appearance of the logos. I don't know if the others did or not.

The only thing I can't figure is why they would be labeled as GEMS if they weren't. Why not as another series ( Spotlight?), or for that matter, why have anything but track listings?

The only answer that comes to mind is that the GEM title was a sales point, which might indicate that someone copied an original set for re-sale.

I simply can't come up with another answer....

_________________
"No Contests, No Divas, Just A Good Time!"

" Disc based and loving it..."


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:41 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2001 6:55 pm
Posts: 4405
Location: New York City
Been Liked: 727 times
MtnKaraoke wrote:
So go to the police and say "My stuff was stolen and I've found someone in possession on my stolen stuff. Here's my evidence and a witness."


That, in and of itself, would be filing a false Police report (since I did not/do not own that).

As for the other items I posted, which you broke up line by line... you have taken it out of context with your explanations.

Cueball wrote:
And what if you're wrong??? What if the KJ did acquire the GEM series legally? You have now filed a false Police report against him (assuming the Police even fill out a report based on your complaint). Aren't there criminal actions that the Police (and possibly the KJ) can take against you for that?


It doesn't matter that DannyG filed a Police report in Ct. If I file a report in NY, claiming to have witnessed a KJ using stolen property, and I was wrong in that statement (meaning the KJ obtained and owns that property legally), then I have now filed a false Police report. Now, if I were to take your advise and claim that the property was stolen from me (someone who never owned it in the first place), then what is that??????????? I think it's the same thing... a false Police report. Now, let's take this a step further and assume that I witnessed a KJ using (what I believe to be) stolen tracks from the GEM series. On what basis would I be able to go to the Police and say, "Hey, someone in CT. had theirs stolen, and I believe this guy is using them."? That's something that SC needs to initiate.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:58 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 4094
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
Been Liked: 309 times
Cue, a couple of things. True you do not own the software but you do have something caled "Colour of Right", which means you are responsible. For example, you do not own your apartment but pay rent (same as leasing a car, etc) but you have legal control over it. You can tell people to leave, responsible for damages, the same for a leased car, you are responsible for moving violations etc. Second if you report a crime in good faith, you can't be charged with filing a false report. False reports have to show that there is malice (amongst other things, too tired to go further) behind it. As for rporting something like that to a precinct, no I wouldn't either, I'd go directly to the unit that investigates copyright/trademark.

_________________
You can be strange but not a stranger


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:09 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:26 am
Posts: 4731
Location: In your head rent-free
Been Liked: 493 times
timberlea wrote:
True you do not own the software but you do have something caled "Colour of Right", which means you are responsible.


"Colour of Right" and "Claim of Right" are in Canada..... Connecticut and New York are not in Canada last time I looked..


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Privacy Policy | Anti-Spam Policy | Acceptable Use Policy Copyright © Karaoke Scene Magazine
design & hosting by Cross Web Tech