KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - So Sound Choice Gem Series is already pirated? How's that? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:23 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
timberlea wrote:
For example, you do not own your apartment but pay rent (same as leasing a car, etc) but you have legal control over it. You can tell people to leave, responsible for damages, the same for a leased car, you are responsible for moving violations etc.

You are referring to things that I would have possession of. I don't own an Apartment, but still pay rent for living in it, and yes, that would still make me responsible for any damages to it while I am the Leasee (sp?). Likewise with a leased car. As long as I am the Leasee, I am responsible for anything that deals with the car (Maintenance, breakdowns, accidents, tickets issued, etc...). I do not have possession of the GEM series, and I am not a Leasee of the product, so there is no responsibility on my part.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:31 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
Quote:
"Colour of Right" and "Claim of Right" are in Canada..... Connecticut and New York are not in Canada last time I looked..

Whatever Chippy. Lorry or truck, elevator or lift, torch or flashlight, Colour of Right or whatever the American equivilant is, it's all the same thing. But as usual you like nothing better than stirring up the pot.

Cue sorry for the misunderstanding but it really changes nothing. If you saw someone breaking into a friend's place or stealing their vehicle, even though you don't have Colour of Right you can still report it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:26 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 224 times
I thought that the GEM series was "renting", not owning the product. If so, the KJ's property has not been stolen, Sound Choice's property has been stolen.
If I rent a car and it get's stolen, I'm pretty sure that Avis is out a car, not me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:49 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
rickgood wrote:
I thought that the GEM series was "renting", not owning the product. If so, the KJ's property has not been stolen, Sound Choice's property has been stolen.
If I rent a car and it get's stolen, I'm pretty sure that Avis is out a car, not me.

Judge Judy is fond of saying that whether you rent or borrow anything a bailment is made, meaning it has to be returned in the same condition, minus normal wear and tear, or you can be held liable for the item. If you can't return it because it was stolen, it's your problem, not Avis'. Nice try.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:50 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
rickgood wrote:

Unless you paid for ALL of the Insurance that the Car Rental agency asks of you, just wait until you get the "Loss of Use" bill from them. And trust me on this... your own personal Car Insurance or the Credit Card that you used (of which some offer insurance coverage) will not cover "Loss of Use" unless you can provide them with a "Fleet Usage" log from the rental agency (good luck obtaining that).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:59 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 224 times
I guess if I only had one gig I wouldn't worry about it either.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:00 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
timberlea wrote:
Quote:
"Colour of Right" and "Claim of Right" are in Canada..... Connecticut and New York are not in Canada last time I looked..

Whatever Chippy. Lorry or truck, elevator or lift, torch or flashlight, Colour of Right or whatever the American equivilant is, it's all the same thing. But as usual you like nothing better than stirring up the pot.

Then show us the equivalent because I'm not stirring anything. Once again you are attempting to push off your interpretation of CANADIAN law as though it applies here in the UNITED STATES to appear as though you are some sort of all-knowing wizard.

Nice try.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:23 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
JoeChartreuse wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
2) Unless you saw the graphics and the Pro Series logo came up on the screen.

2) Here you have me, Danny. While I and others saw the labels, I admit that I paid no attention to the appearance of the logos. I don't know if the others did or not.

What?

So c. staley was right. This is all hearsay. You never saw a pirated GEM series, did you Joe? You were mistaken kind of like how the investigator missed the discs at Macloed's. However, it was really easy for you to make a statement that you did see pirated GEMs here on KS. Not only that, but three different pirated sets!

JoeChartreuse wrote:
The only thing I can't figure is why they would be labeled as GEMS if they weren't. Why not as another series ( Spotlight?), or for that matter, why have anything but track listings?

The only answer that comes to mind is that the GEM title was a sales point, which might indicate that someone copied an original set for re-sale.

I simply can't come up with another answer....

What? You saw the discs but didn't see the screen(s)? Did you sing at all while you were there?

Theoretically, Danny's stolen HD with GEM tracks on it could have had the files re-shifted to burned CDs. All would be needed is to verify the serial numbers in the files to find out if these alleged pirated GEM sets may be the content that was stolen from Danny. There is a probability that there is a connection.

How can we find out for sure? Perhaps you should let Danny & SC know where you saw these alleged pirated GEMs. Of course you should do that privately. Then SC & Danny can pursue the lead to see in fact if there is a connection.

In the investigations, it may be found that these GEMs you may have seen are legit. But coming on here & blatantly making the statement that you saw pirated GEMs without anything to back it up with is very irresponsible. Perhaps you ought to think a little more before posting such claims. This would lead to less hearsay & more productive posts.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:04 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Wall Of Sound wrote:
All would be needed is to verify the serial numbers in the files to find out if these alleged pirated GEM sets may be the content that was stolen from Danny.

How generous of you to announce to the world that the files are serially numbered..... Which also means they are burned and not pressed. Now the "bad guys" will know to erase the numbers.

Smooth move in the ongoing "fight against piracy."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:00 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

c. staley wrote:
Wall Of Sound wrote:
All would be needed is to verify the serial numbers in the files to find out if these alleged pirated GEM sets may be the content that was stolen from Danny.

How generous of you to announce to the world that the files are serially numbered..... Which also means they are burned and not pressed. Now the "bad guys" will know to erase the numbers.

Smooth move in the ongoing "fight against piracy."

Eh, it's pretty common knowledge.

How would you suggest removing the serial numbers Chief?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:34 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
So Chippy, no such thing as Colour (Color) of Right in Michigan Law, eh?

Michigan Penal Code:

750.378 Malicious destruction of property; dam, reservoir, canal, trench.

Sec. 378.

Maliciously destroying, injuring, etc., dams, canals, etc.—Any person who shall wilfully and maliciously break down, injure, remove, or destroy any dam, reservoir, canal or trench, or any gate, flume, flash-boards, or other appurtenances thereof, or any levee or structure for the purpose of conveying water to any such dam or reservoir, or any of the wheels, mill-gear, or machinery of any mill, or shall wilfully or wantonly, without color of right, draw off the water contained in any millpond, reservoir, canal, or trench, shall be guilty of a felony.

Thus endeth the lesson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:05 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Wall Of Sound wrote:

I wouldn't know.... since I do not own the Gem series. But I can tell you this: if they put it in with a computer, it can come out the same way.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:21 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

timberlea wrote:
So Chippy, no such thing as Colour (Color) of Right in Michigan Law, eh?

Michigan Penal Code:

750.378 Malicious destruction of property; dam, reservoir, canal, trench.

Sec. 378.

Maliciously destroying, injuring, etc., dams, canals, etc.—Any person who shall wilfully and maliciously break down, injure, remove, or destroy any dam, reservoir, canal or trench, or any gate, flume, flash-boards, or other appurtenances thereof, or any levee or structure for the purpose of conveying water to any such dam or reservoir, or any of the wheels, mill-gear, or machinery of any mill, or shall wilfully or wantonly, without color of right, draw off the water contained in any millpond, reservoir, canal, or trench, shall be guilty of a felony.

Thus endeth the lesson

You are funny..... Now, go back to the state site and find a definition of "color of right" in the entire Michigan compiled Laws. It's not there, nor does "color of right" apply to leased vehicles, leased karaoke tracks or even leased apartments... But if you're stealing water (as above) this 80-year-old law might just work for you. Nothing like scratching for any single shred out of context to support your agenda.

Nice try....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:01 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 610 times
c. staley wrote:
Wall Of Sound wrote:

I wouldn't know.... since I do not own the Gem series. But I can tell you this: if they put it in with a computer, it can come out the same way.

This is like saying "There is no lock that cannot be picked".

On the surface, this is a true statement. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't take a considerable amount of effort to do, not to mention a very long time.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:41 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Bazza wrote:
c. staley wrote:
Wall Of Sound wrote:

On the surface, this is a true statement. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't take a considerable amount of effort to do, not to mention a very long time.

True, but I'm sure some skilled programmers have their noses to the grindstone as we speak.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:55 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
i don't see why everyone is getting all uptight about this. How long has the GEM series been out? and its taken THIS long for someone to make it available if it is the real thing.

Usually pirated karaoke comes out the same day it is released. I'd say that's a pretty big improvement

Would it be better if it never happened? of course, but that's just not realistic.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:05 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Wall Of Sound wrote:
Bazza wrote:
c. staley wrote:
Wall Of Sound wrote:

True, but I'm sure some skilled programmers have their noses to the grindstone as we speak.

There might well be, but I'm sure that they are more concerned with getting their sophomore homework done and if they'll have a date for homecoming...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:40 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
Just an additional clarification on previous statements:

When I mentioned the light blue and pink labels with no graphics and comic font, I should have added something else. These are the exact same type of labels used by whoever is selling counterfeit Music Maestro and counterfeit Karaoke Kurrents- mostly on E-bay.

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:09 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 307 times
jclaydon wrote:
i don't see why everyone is getting all uptight about this. How long has the GEM series been out? and its taken THIS long for someone to make it available if it is the real thing.

Usually pirated karaoke comes out the same day it is released. I'd say that's a pretty big improvement

Would it be better if it never happened? of course, but that's just not realistic.

This seems like the appropriate occasion to quote myself from another thread:
earthling12357 wrote:
Isn't the Gem series a repackaging of content that has already been pirated and is already available in torrents etc just not as the "gems"? I don't think it can be compared to new releases since the content already exists in the pirate world. Or do pirates put out many "best of" compilations?

I haven't seen any proof that the gem series is available in the "pirate world" as the "gem series", however I have confidence that every single track in the gem series is already available in the pirate world so why would anyone bother putting it out there again?
Trying to make a case that the gem series is somehow fantastically more secure now that it's content has been released under a new name is absolutely ridiculous. That's ike saying "I've lost my virginity but I'll never let that happen again!"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:27 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 610 times
earthling12357 wrote:
I haven't seen any proof that the gem series is available in the "pirate world" as the "gem series", however I have confidence that every single track in the gem series is already available in the pirate world so why would anyone bother putting it out there again?

Because the majority of the torrents/usenet SC songs out there are 128kbps or less, poorly ripped and with the telltale garbled lyrics.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next