KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Is it Piracy? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Is it Piracy?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:21 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
Bazza wrote:
I would think this would be akin to buying Oxycontin for your back pain off a drug dealer on the street. Even if you have a valid prescription from your Doctor in your back pocket, it's still illegal.

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
does anyone know why SC did it as a lease instead of a purchase like CB has?
maybe because SC only leases the songs from Stingray as it is? don't know, just first idea i had about it.
hey, SC leases them from Stingray, the leases them to me......is that a sublet? :lol:

My personal opinion is enforceability. If you pirate the GEM series, it will be MUCH easier for them to come after you for breach of contract then the current methods.

And it seems to be working. The GEM series has been out for over one year and there have been NO Torrents/Bootlegs/etc to my knowledge. That's pretty impressive considering that the other manu's discs are out there within hours of release.

There has been theft of the GEMS in CT. I have had two hard drives stolen in the past year that contained the GEM series. I have since moved away from the thieves. SC has the serial numbers that were linked to both drives.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:58 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 610 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
There has been theft of the GEMS in CT. I have had two hard drives stolen in the past year that contained the GEM series. I have since moved away from the thieves. SC has the serial numbers that were linked to both drives.

Yup. Have they ever surfaced?

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:05 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Bazza wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

Yup. Have they ever surfaced?

As far as I know no.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:18 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 307 times
Bazza wrote:
And it seems to be working. The GEM series has been out for over one year and there have been NO Torrents/Bootlegs/etc to my knowledge. That's pretty impressive considering that the other manu's discs are out there within hours of release.

Isn't the Gem series a repackaging of content that has already been pirated and is already available in torrents etc just not as the "gems"? I don't think it can be compared to new releases since the content already exists in the pirate world. Or do pirates put out many "best of" compilations?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:48 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

earthling12357 wrote:
Isn't the Gem series a repackaging of content that has already been pirated and is already available in torrents etc just not as the "gems"? I don't think it can be compared to new releases since the content already exists in the pirate world. Or do pirates put out many "best of" compilations?

I get your point, but are you alleging that the reason we don't see GEM torrents is because benevolent pirates don't want to muddy the pristine waters of the internet with duplicates? :lol: The main difference would be that the GEM discs are 320kbps from the source and the majority of the torrents out there are 128kbs...or less.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:55 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
Oh gee.......wish I had the technology to rip at 320..... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:13 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

nobodyhome wrote:
Oh gee.......wish I had the technology to rip at 320..... :lol:

If you already have all 6000 songs on disc, go for it! It's not hard to do. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:33 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
DannyG2006 wrote:

How much time did they get? I'm assuming they'd already gotten rid of the drives when the police caught them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:26 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Moonrider wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

How much time did they get? I'm assuming they'd already gotten rid of the drives when the police caught them.

Unfortunately they covered their butts the last time, although I know it was them, by calling the cops themselves and claiming they came home to an open door. I know I locked it when I left that morning and there was zero signs of breaking and entering (deadbolt lock). So they didn't get anytime.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:08 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Moonrider wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

Unfortunately they covered their butts the last time, although I know it was them, by calling the cops themselves and claiming they came home to an open door. I know I locked it when I left that morning and there was zero signs of breaking and entering (deadbolt lock). So they didn't get anytime.

I am very happy you finally moved out. That was a bad scene and they were simply taking advantage of your kindness.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:05 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
Bazza wrote:
I would think this would be akin to buying Oxycontin for your back pain off a drug dealer on the street. Even if you have a valid prescription from your Doctor in your back pocket, it's still illegal.

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
does anyone know why SC did it as a lease instead of a purchase like CB has?
maybe because SC only leases the songs from Stingray as it is? don't know, just first idea i had about it.
hey, SC leases them from Stingray, the leases them to me......is that a sublet? :lol:

My personal opinion is enforceability. If you pirate the GEM series, it will be MUCH easier for them to come after you for breach of contract then the current methods.

Plus I imagine it would be easier to track where the illegal files came from. my understanding is its not that hard to embed ip information into the tags of an mp3 file. I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:13 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
Aside from the obvious bitrate difference, the mp3 files would contain serial numbers and other relivant informtion. Now there ae program that will edit tag but I think there are ways to protect from this against the average knowledge of a consumer. I could be wrong

Also GEM series have the soundchoice logo in blue, but it wouldnt be that hard to replace the cdg file with a copy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:19 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
DannyG2006 wrote:

1-888-KNEECAP. Ask for "Uncle Will Kikyerazz." He's not cheap, but he is thorough. And discreet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:33 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
jclaydon wrote:
Aside from the obvious bitrate difference, the mp3 files would contain serial numbers and other relivant informtion. Now there ae program that will edit tag but I think there are ways to protect from this against the average knowledge of a consumer. I could be wrong

Also GEM series have the soundchoice logo in blue, but it wouldnt be that hard to replace the cdg file with a copy

The key is the phrase: "average knowledge of a consumer." Because it is quite easy to cobble together a program that will wipe ID3 tags on an entire drive with just a few clicks. Changing the color of the logo or wiping away the logo is not difficult either. (time consuming, but not difficult)

Even proprietary formats aren't safe. Power Karaoke and TriceraSoft both can read and play files that have been ripped to a proprietary format karaoke hosting player.