KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Jukeboxes, the cure Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Jukeboxes, the cure
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:17 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 33 times
It's happened in Japan, and just about every other Asian country. It will happen here.

http://www.dkkaraoke.co.jp/business/kar ... rvice.html

DK moved out of the states, and has been making jukeboxes for years, preloaded with their content. Sexy right?

One of these years, the American karaoke companies will do the same. It's evident because they're starting to talk to software companies (I'm doing a demo at NAMM for one producer) Invicon or working with chartbusters. Tricerasoft is working with a multitude of karaoke companies.

At some point they will have enough money to start shipping out jukeboxes. Instead of the $0.67 to $2.50 they get now per son, they'll get $0.50 per play with $.50 per play going to the venue.

Does this mean everyone will be out of a job? Probably not...

Jukeboxes will fill in the niche spots that most professional KJ's wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. Pizza Parlors, Coffee shops come to mind. In the arcades right next to Dance Dance revolution.

They will take a notch out of the bar market, but most likely it will be the bars that wouldn't pay a good host anything anyways. The one's paying $50 + beer.

Just food for thought.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: Jukeboxes, the cure
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:08 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
I don't believe for a minute that this is the next wave. CAVS has had a coin operated karaoke system on the market for years now. They have not performed well at all with serious singers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:25 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 294 times
One thing that may limit their appeal is the fact that many places like to have karaoke only on certain days during certain hours so they don't chase off the rest of the clientele that hates it. Ours wouldn't want people singing on Pool night, etc.

But I can see their use in a more private setting or like you say, the game situation. Some of my friends like to go to those private karaoke rooms in SF rather than inflict themselves on others. Other times they like the lights, the crowd and the escitement of an actual show.

There are a lot of things coming up like IPod karaoke and better home systems, etc. than many see as a threat. I see them more as an addition, just continuing to feed "the fix," rather than becoming a total substitution. I hope.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:01 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
leopard lizard @ Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:25 pm wrote:
There are a lot of things coming up

Don't even go there.
I am still trying to get my head round laser television.
No. It will never work.
Oh. It works.
The next thing will be Laser 3D TV
As if that will ever happen...

Ohhh.

One small step for man...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:23 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
It is here already; and toqer is right; it will not replace KJ, it just complement us. There is no need to see such development negatively; in fact positive thing will come out of it....... see those jukeboxes as training ground for your future customers. many will venture out and be less shy and start singing in public/open karaoke.
.It happens

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:59 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
Jian @ Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:23 pm wrote:
It is here already; and toqer is right; it will not replace KJ, it just complement us. There is no need to see such development negatively; in fact positive thing will come out of it....... see those jukeboxes as training ground for your future customers. many will venture out and be less shy and start singing in public/open karaoke.
.It happens

Beta-max????? Beat by VHS?
Wasn't Beta-max a better format?

Just because it is the "LATEST" technology, doesn't mean it will last.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:17 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
twansenne @ Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:59 pm wrote:
Jian @ Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:23 pm wrote:
.It happens

Beta-max????? Beat by VHS?
Wasn't Beta-max a better format?

Just because it is the "LATEST" technology, doesn't mean it will last.

While beta-max was a better format the workings of the beta-max machines were a nightmare. Where VHS simply picked up the tape and put it against a rotating head with about only 50% coverage of the had Beta-Max picked up the tape and wrapped it about 340 degrees of the head it did this with a rotating base that was a nightmare to work on, kept from binding and if the tape ever got stuck you had to about dismantle the whole machine to get it out. If you think VHS eats tapes when a beta-max machine ate a tape it really ate it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:32 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 25 times
Seen something similar in the uk, A fully automated karaoke machine with updates over 3000 songs, just tell the barstaff what you want to sing, and they hand you the microphone. The bar promoted itself as 24hr karaoke...

I had a go because I was nosey... the bar had under 10 patrons on a weekend night, and one person willing to sing (me and only because I only had a half hour spare and needed to investigate it quickly). The bar staff, had no idea about karaoke but could work the machine.. The sound was good, considering they were using inhouse speakers and cheap microphones, so the system was fitted well... the atmosphere got better when I sang and I got a round of applause ( I suspect through shock of someone singing), but afterwards the bar went back to it's automated disco music and people went back to their chatter.

What ever that bar paid for that system it certainly wouldn't have paid for itself. A host in that senario would have been a far better alternative.

So I doubt it will ever create a huge dent in our market... if anything on the rare occasions it does work it may encourage more people to take to the stage.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile